Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin "safe zone" for women on NYE

Options
  • 30-12-2017 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Is this the future for Europe?
    Segregating women for their safety.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42502984

Doesnt seem right to me,especially in a place like Germany where women should be free to mingle with who they please without being assaulted.

It must be a serious enough issue if the Germans are putting women in a separate area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

You'd think at this stage they'd cop da fcuk on....but muh European values

• Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They probably just need to spend €235k per year in the first year on each of those they are bringing in, like we do here...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/cabinet-to-hear-11-5m-needed-to-relocate-40-calais-minors-1.2930693

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Women who have been assaulted or feel harassed will be able to get support at a special "safety zone", staffed by the German Red Cross, on Ebertstrasse.
    Construction crews set up a stage in preparations to the New Year Eve's party at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Germany, 28 December 2017Image copyrightEPA
    Image caption
    Preparations are under way for the New Year Eve's party at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin
    The city's police have also issued advice to women, encouraging them to seek help if they feel threatened and to carry a small bag with no valuables.
    The 'right amount' of panic for women in public
    Undercover in London, catching harassers on the Tube
    Cologne officials set up a "security point", staffed by social workers and psychologists, at the city's 2016 carnival following the New Year's Eve attacks.
    But the idea of a special safe zone for women at large public events has not been welcomed by everyone.
    Critics say it does not tackle the perpetrators of sexual violence, while some others complain it is discriminatory.

The article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

No need for money.
    Just segregate women and men and cancel other religious events like Hanukkah.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2017/12/german-city-cancels-hanukkah-due-to-security-concerns/

Original source is Bild Zeitung in case this source is anti-anything.

Old Perry wrote: »
    Women who have been assaulted or feel harassed will be able to get support at a special "safety zone", staffed by the German Red Cross, on Ebertstrasse.
    Construction crews set up a stage in preparations to the New Year Eve's party at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Germany, 28 December 2017Image copyrightEPA
    Image caption
    Preparations are under way for the New Year Eve's party at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin
    The city's police have also issued advice to women, encouraging them to seek help if they feel threatened and to carry a small bag with no valuables.
    The 'right amount' of panic for women in public
    Undercover in London, catching harassers on the Tube
    Cologne officials set up a "security point", staffed by social workers and psychologists, at the city's 2016 carnival following the New Year's Eve attacks.
    But the idea of a special safe zone for women at large public events has not been welcomed by everyone.
    Critics say it does not tackle the perpetrators of sexual violence, while some others complain it is discriminatory.

The article

This is the problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The German people need to get tough on this shit. Arm the women with pepper-spray with dye in it and let the lads cops sort out the fuckers. If any immigrant is caught at it they should be deported, who gives a shit where, drop them off in Afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Myself & herself are heading to Berlin for New Years. We've decided the best place to ring in the new year is this party at the Branderburg Gate. Though I've read a lot about the influx of migrants into Germany I wasn't overly concerned til I came across this article. Should I be worried??

idle wrote: »
    Myself & herself are heading to Berlin for New Years. We've decided the best place to ring in the new year is this party at the Branderburg Gate. Though I've read a lot about the influx of migrants into Germany I wasn't overly concerned til I came across this article. Should I be worried??

Id still be going if it was myself and my partner,just keeping an eye out for signs of any trouble brewing.
    Enjoy,hopefully youve a great time and see no trouble whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

'Wasn't there a similar uproar over a music festival for women only recently, too? People claiming it was discriminatory - mostly men; whilst others decried that it's not acceptable that women should need "safe spaces" in the first place.

Tackling the problem of sexual violence needs to be a priority, but it can't be done on one singular night of the year.

And either way, large public grouping require a large level of security these days...

My own discomfort here, is my own uneasiness around the influx of immigrants - which cannot be denied is causing problems in Germany. I like to think I'm liberal... but yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I don't know. Given that thousands of organised rapes and sexual assaults happened all across Germany on new years eve a couple of years ago, I certainly wouldn't feel safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Fcuk Germany.

Let them import half the third world in to fcuck their women. Who gives a sh1t , let them go, it doesn't mean that we have to allow them to mess up the world for the third time in 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,057 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No, but then you shouldn't be going to Branenburger Tor either! Tourist trap!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The German people need to get tough on this shit. Arm the women with pepper-spray with dye in it and let the lads cops sort out the fuckers. If any immigrant is caught at it they should be deported, who gives a shit where, drop them off in Afghanistan.

Oh that'd go down well in Germany. It wouldn't even be like having to go to the the bother of painting the Star of David on the door like in previous times, more of a "spray anyone dark skinned and get them kicked out" invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Is this the future for Europe?
    Segregating women for their safety.

More or less, yes.

And yes, "their safety" will be the excuse used.

But, I'm sure future European women will enjoy being at the back of busses, planes & having their own train carriages..... Inshallah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I'd love my own train carriage, sounds like fkin heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I do sense a sort of ironic blowback effect with feminists generally on the side of unrestrained migration facing a future now where women are advised to jog in pairs in certain cities, advised to stay home after dark unless they can be in large groups, offered segregation zones for their safety at public events, refused service at streetside cafes in certain parts of Paris, and so on. Advice may soon be offered about decent, non-provocative clothing and social behaviours that are for their own safety. It is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I read a story about a crib not allowed in Beaumont Hospital due to "sensitivities"

It was'nt "new Irish" or immigrants. It was the clowns running the hospital who decided the old and dying should not have the last semblance of comfort in their life (their belief).

You'd have to ask are the natives the problem or the newcomers unltimately?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,057 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I read a story about a crib not allowed in Beaumont Hospital due to "sensitivities"

It was'nt "new Irish" or immigrants. It was the clowns running the hospital who decided the old and dying should not have the last semblance of comfort in their life (their belief).

You'd have to ask are the natives the problem or the newcomers unltimately?

Going off topic.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but: you really need to start a new thread on that one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looks like germany is the new surrender monkey of europe

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Going off topic.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but: you really need to start a new thread on that one.

Not going to start a thread but it angered me because I have seen the dying old people in that hospital - they care nothing of material things - and they are deprived of the things that matter to them.

A crib means fcuk all to us, but to them it's all that is left. It's their faith and belief before they die - a comfort - deprived for stupid reasons.

In relation to the thread it's the question of whether the natives make these things worse. Ergo this in Berlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Not going to start a thread but it angered me because I have seen the dying old people in that hospital - they care nothing of material things - and they are deprived of the things that matter to them.

A crib means fcuk all to us, but to them it's all that is left. It's their faith and belief before they die - a comfort - deprived for stupid reasons.

In relation to the thread it's the question of whether the natives make these things worse. Ergo this in Berlin.

Beaumont is a private hospital and the management of it have decided a hospital reception is no place for religious iconography.

They do have a crib, in what seems to me to be the correct place for religious iconography, a Chapel.

"Beaumont has a crib in the hospital chapel, which is open to all staff, patients and relatives. Daily Mass is held here at 1pm and all are welcome.”

So what is the problem really here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Was it the natives going around groping women en masse at previous events?

Beaumont is a private hospital and the management of it have decided a hospital reception is no place for religious iconography.

A crib? For the overwhelmingly catholic old dying is too much for reception?

Has to be down below in the chapel?

Disgraceful, end of. No debate to be had.

Beaumont is a public hospital by the way.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not at all, you won't see any problems there except people over indulging on Bratwurst.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Who would have thought that after all these years, the UN would be our biggest threat to peace and security.

Time to wrap it up and look after our civilization.

A crib? For the overwhelmingly catholic old dying is too much for reception?

Has to be down below in the chapel?

Disgraceful, end of. No debate to be had.

Beaumont is a public hospital by the way.

:D:D:D:D
    You have no credible argument so its end of debate. Gas altogether.
    Why should a crib be in the foyer instead of the chapel?

:D:D:D:D
    You have no credible argument so its end of debate. Gas altogether.
    Why should a crib be in the foyer instead of the chapel?

Why should it not be?

Are you offended by it?

P.S you said Beaumont was a private hospital - I take it you accept it is not.

Why should it not be?

Are you offended by it?

It is not there because the board of management have within their rights decided not to place one there this year.

No I am not offended by it in the slightest, it is merely another tacky christmas decoration to me, just like the lights and santas.

Are you offended by a lack of religious iconography being placed in the beaumont hospital foyer but in their chapel instead?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Beaumont Hospital in Berlin?

• Advertisement

No I am not offended by it in the slightest, it is merely another tacky christmas decoration to me, just like the lights and santas.

I'll put this as delicately as possible.

There is an old demographic around that hospital.

A lot of old people are in their last days there. They know an Ireland different to ours.

Why deprive them of the simplest comfort - and that of their relatives? This is who they are.

As I said this stuff may mean fcuk all to you and me, but believe me, it means something to them.

I don't get it? What is the point?

What is the bloody point of doing that?

Advertisement