Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin "safe zone" for women on NYE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Beaumont Hospital in Berlin?

Who knew :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Is this safe zone not just bad PR nonsense though?

I mean at large events like these do they not normally have an area where I can go get first aid, assistance etc. Aren't there usually security or police or both around these areas and first aid responders.
    So what makes this safe zone different from these areas normally at large events, what makes this one a safe zone for women?
    Can a distressed male not go in, what about lost male children?

Im confused by this, and the few links i have read have given no real info either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i believe this is a more correct take on the story

https://www.rt.com/news/414587-berlin-women-safety-zone/

New Year’s Eve festivities in the German capital will be marked by a “safety area” for women seeking refuge from harassment, following cases of mass sexual misconduct during country’s celebrations over the past few years.
    The New Year’s Eve festival at Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate area will have a special zone where women subjected to sexual offences or who otherwise feel harassed during the celebrations will have a "haven" to seek shelter and report a potential crime. The zone bears an English name: “Women's Safety Area.”

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not going to start a thread but it angered me because I have seen the dying old people in that hospital - they care nothing of material things - and they are deprived of the things that matter to them.

A crib means fcuk all to us, but to them it's all that is left. It's their faith and belief before they die - a comfort - deprived for stupid reasons.

In relation to the thread it's the question of whether the natives make these things worse. Ergo this in Berlin.

Trust me, having lived in Berlin for the last nine years, it is most certainly not Berlin. The natives in Berlin are far more tolerant of the traditions and faiths of different groups, be they Christian, Islam, Judaism or whatever; as well as different sub-cultures and special-interest groups that would fall outside relgious definitions.

As to the thread at hand, this is not a segregation of a "women-only party-zone" - it's a retreat zone for women who have been victims of sexual assault or molestation. It's not a party anything.

A while back, there was a thread here on whether or not a slap on the ass of a woman was acceptable and, while it was by no means a majority, a surprising amount of people said they saw no problem with it. And they weren't all muslims or immigrants.

I'd argue that such an area would see just as much use in a Dublin nightclub than a Berlin NYE party.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Put them all in Herr Merkel masks no one wants to hit that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Bigots. Next they'll want segregated toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s pretty much an admittance of failure if policing when you look at it.

“We’re not able to keep you safe out in the general population, so come over here behind the razor wire where we can keep an eye on you”

As others mentioned the big problem is it does nothing to deal with the perpetrators but expects the potential victims to move to safety, a sort of passive agressive victim blaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

idle wrote:
    Myself & herself are heading to Berlin for New Years. We've decided the best place to ring in the new year is this party at the Branderburg Gate. Though I've read a lot about the influx of migrants into Germany I wasn't overly concerned til I came across this article. Should I be worried??

we were on Cologne city centre for NYE 2 years ago..saw nothing out of the ordinary.. Were shocked to hear of the goings on the following morning.
    I'm sure you'll be fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Malayalam wrote: »
    I do sense a sort of ironic blowback effect with feminists generally on the side of unrestrained migration facing a future now where women are advised to jog in pairs in certain cities, advised to stay home after dark unless they can be in large groups, offered segregation zones for their safety at public events, refused service at streetside cafes in certain parts of Paris, and so on. Advice may soon be offered about decent, non-provocative clothing and social behaviours that are for their own safety. It is sad.

Tough sh1t. Anyone who warned about this years back was called a racist/nazi and other such nonsense. This stuff is only the start and i have zero sympathy for the nation Germany will become over the coming years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I was in Germany once, got my hand chopped off for flushing a toilet after 10pm. The new normal.

Damn them allowing the invaders come over here and objectify, demean and violate our woman. That's a white man's job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

silverharp wrote: »
    looks like germany is the new surrender monkey of europe
    I would feel bad about it but I would laugh heartily if Poland invades Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Not going to start a thread but it angered me because I have seen the dying old people in that hospital - they care nothing of material things - and they are deprived of the things that matter to them.

A crib means fcuk all to us, but to them it's all that is left. It's their faith and belief before they die - a comfort - deprived for stupid reasons.

In relation to the thread it's the question of whether the natives make these things worse. Ergo this in Berlin.

If someone is old and dying in hospital, why the fcuk would they be down hanging around the foyer?? Non story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Tough sh1t. Anyone who warned about this years back was called a racist/nazi and other such nonsense. This stuff is only the start and i have zero sympathy for the nation Germany will become over the coming years.

You do realise that in a few years some of these fine upstanding immigrants will have access to German passports and thus the run of Europe.

Germany's problem today, Europe's problem ever after.

History will not be kind to "Mutti"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Is this the future for Europe?
    Segregating women for their safety.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42502984

Doesnt seem right to me,especially in a place like Germany where women should be free to mingle with who they please without being assaulted.

It must be a serious enough issue if the Germans are putting women in a separate area.

No, they aren't. From your own article.
    Women who have been assaulted or feel harassed will be able to get support at a special "safety zone", staffed by the German Red Cross, on Ebertstrasse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Odhinn wrote: »

Doesnt seem right to me,especially in a place like Germany where women should be free to mingle with who they please without being assaulted.

It must be a serious enough issue if the Germans are putting women in a separate area.

No, they aren't. From your own article.
    Women who have been assaulted or feel harassed will be able to get support at a special "safety zone", staffed by the German Red Cross, on Ebertstrasse.

Harassed like they were in Cologne clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Luckily Germany's near neighbours over in Sweden, seem not to have had this similar type of issue, ah wait...

6 Jul 2017 - Sweden's biggest music festival will be replaced next year by a 'women-only alternative' after reports of a series of rapes and sexual assaults at this year's event

• Registered Users Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You do realise that in a few years some of these fine upstanding immigrants will have access to German passports and thus the run of Europe.

Germany's problem today, Europe's problem ever after.

History will not be kind to "Mutti"

There are 2nd and 3rd generation Turkish immigrants, whose parents were invited to Germany to work, living in Germany who can't get a German passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wouldn't it be ironic if the perpetrators identified as women, claimed harassment and had to be let into the zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

idle wrote: »
    Myself & herself are heading to Berlin for New Years. We've decided the best place to ring in the new year is this party at the Branderburg Gate. Though I've read a lot about the influx of migrants into Germany I wasn't overly concerned til I came across this article. Should I be worried??

I was over in Berlin visiting a friend earlier in the year. Turns out it was the same weekend as the anniversary of German reunification. There was a big open air concert at the Brandenburg Gate with free entry which we attended. We had a great time, didn't see anyone being hassled and don't recall hearing any reports of trouble after the event either.

Go, enjoy yourselves and just use the same common sense you would in any large city and you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Rape free zones, thanks Angela. I'm feeling the multiculturalism now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The vast majority of crimes against women, in the west, are committed by white men. It's just that they're ignored. Rape and sexual assault has the lowest conviction ate of any crime. And because of that it's one of the most under reported.

Strangely people like you don't give a fcuk about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Grayson wrote: »
    The vast majority of crimes against women, in the west, are committed by white men. It's just that they're ignored. Rape and sexual assault has the lowest conviction ate of any crime. And because of that it's one of the most under reported.

Strangely people like you don't give a fcuk about that.

Here is your strawman argument right here.

strawman.jpg

The vast majority of mass sexual assaults on women in Western Europe are not being committed by white men though, are they?

That is what we are talking about here.

Should we not highlight it at all? Or does the inconvenient truth undermine this myth of a "One World Cohesive Rainbow Nation" peddled by the Left

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I am embarrassed for the German men letting this happen to their women

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I am embarrassed for the German men letting this happen to their women

What exactly are they "letting" happen that is embarrassing?

Let
    1. not prevent or forbid; allow.

Good old whitey, he might be more rapey, but at least he does it on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Should we not highlight it at all? Or does the inconvenient truth undermine this myth of a "One World Cohesive Rainbow Nation" peddled by the Left

What are you on about?! The most multicultural country in the world is the US and it has been the greatest success on this planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Yes, up until three years ago no women in Europe, particularly Germany, were subject to sexual assault or harassment and there were no women only clubs, events, deals or organisations.

By the way, that was sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Assuaging their collective holocaust guilt, by laying out the red carpet for the most anti-semitic, homophobic, culturally & religiously intolerant people on the planet (and then applying pressure on the rest of the EU to follow suit) is a recipe for pure success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

MayoSalmon wrote: »

What are you on about?! The most multicultural country in the world is the US and it has been the greatest success on this planet.

Yeah. Right.

• Advertisement

There's no rape like a mass rape, isn't that right me old friend?

Advertisement