Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are your children fat? Why are they fat?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

My kids so fat, their blood type is Ragu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe. All my rellies are skinny, yet in baby pictures they're like fat buddhas. I was a big fatty as a baby. Maybe it's the breastfeeding thing?

There seems to be more and more evidence on the health benefits of breastfeeding, including weight (breastfed baby's tend to eat what they need, bottle fed babies tend to get a bottle fairly indiscriminately) resistance and a whole rake of other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Madam wrote: »
    One of my brothers was a real fattie when he was young (we called him Sumo), he has however grown up while not fat still 'stocky' and no matter what diet you would put him on I suppose you can't change someone's body shape!

Sorry I have to disagree with you.

First of all there is that horrible word Diet.

Diets are bad for you they DONT work you lose but you gain more when your finished.

February 2013 I was rushed to hospital as a 160kg man with Severe stomach pains.

Turned out that my Atkins/Paleo Diet that I had been on a couple of months before had actually caused me to get Diverticulitis I was only 35 and the doctor told me it is a condition for over 50s.

Since then I started eating properly and all healthy very very little processed crap and some exercise. Now im typing this as a 115kg man.

Balanced diet and some exercise it's the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

My son eats what he wants and he gets a mc donalds once a week, He is as thin as a lat though as he gets mountains of exercise
    He must be costing a fortune to feed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

when i was a kid everyone was out running around after a football or playing chase on the road. now a days its xbox and playstation. they play virtual football with there fingers its called fifa : ) getting fat on the sofa eating crisps drinking coke and its all there parents fault. if your kids dont like sport simply bring them for walks to the beach forest or park. most fat kids are the result of lazy parents
    People have been saying that for 30 years. When it wasn't XBox/Playstation it was Space Invaders/TV. The kind of exercise needed to counteract eating lots of rubbish is high-intensity training, which kids are hardly going to be engaging in when just out playing.
    I didn't exercise much as a kid (did more as a teen) and didn't eat particularly healthy, but was still slim - because portion sizes. They're ridiculous now, they were way smaller back then.
    The statistics seem to be completely misleading, in my experience anyway. I see very few fat kids around the place to be honest, maybe 1 in 25. And in my year last year there were about 105 of us, and I'd say there were 3 people who were fat. Not exactly frightening statistics.
    Same here. The fat epidemic among kids is something that's highly overstated IMO. Something people just seem to like saying. Maybe the epidemic is confined to specific areas? It's not across the board though from what I see.
    I'd agree adults are getting fatter though... while there's a simultaneous increased interest in running, cycling, hiking and healthy food.

• Advertisement

when i was a kid everyone was out running around after a football or playing chase on the road. now a days its xbox and playstation. they play virtual football with there fingers its called fifa : ) getting fat on the sofa eating crisps drinking coke and its all there parents fault. if your kids dont like sport simply bring them for walks to the beach forest or park. most fat kids are the result of lazy parents
    You had to do it didn't you? The thread was going perfect no mention of kids until you came along :mad:
    Young Humans=children
    Young goats=kids

Another thing that pi$$es me off is the amount of sugar that is in baby food like the jars and the baby rice and so on.

As another poster has said Sugar is addictive, so why the fcuk is it allowed in foods that you give to a 6 Month old.

Its like they are trying to start the addiction from as early as possible.

It's 80% diet and 20% exercise!! I think once a week for mcdonalds is too much in my opinion. Once a month is healthier.
    I think never for mcdonalds is healthier ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

These misty eyed eulogies about the old days vs P'S and Xbox slugs are a bit inaccurate. There's always loads of kids (including my own) out on our street playing football and riding bikes/scooters.

Plus it's not like kids didn't read or do other stuff indoors before the advent of computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Diets are bad for you they DONT work you lose but you gain more when your finished.

The way I see it is that the word Diet (the way it's used these days, definition D) already suggests : I'll do this for a while to loose weight and then it'll be business as usual (ie. back to the habits that go you there in the first place)

Whereas actually changing your diet (definition A) is what is needed, change what is 'normal' food intake, exercise etc. etc.
    Definition of DIET

a : food and drink regularly provided or consumed
    b : habitual nourishment
    c : the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason
    d : a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight <going on a diet>

Well done on the weight loss, that's a massive achievement you can be proud of!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

February 2013 I was rushed to hospital as a 160kg man with Severe stomach pains.

Turned out that my Atkins/Paleo Diet that I had been on a couple of months before had actually caused me to get Diverticulitis I was only 35 and the doctor told me it is a condition for over 50s.

Since then I started eating properly and all healthy very very little processed crap and some exercise. Now im typing this as a 115kg man.

Balanced diet and some exercise it's the way forward.
    Sorry I have to disagree:D My brother plays rugby, climbs hills for fun and imo out of all my brothers has the best diet you could think of(he lives in Australia so he's really into seafood and barbies of course)..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Purdie is a very specific North Donegal word, never heard it anywhere else.

We say it here too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I think never for mcdonalds is healthier ;)

everything in moderation is key, otherwise your kid will go mental when they are on their own!!

wexie wrote: »
    The way I see it is that the word Diet (the way it's used these days, definition D) already suggests : I'll do this for a while to loose weight and then it'll be business as usual (ie. back to the habits that go you there in the first place)

Whereas actually changing your diet (definition A) is what is needed, change what is 'normal' food intake, exercise etc. etc.

Well done on the weight loss, that's a massive achievement you can be proud of!!

I totally agree with you. There is so much misinformation out there its unreal.

Thanks for the congrats on the loss. I felt a bit silly writing it bit I had to get my point across.

But I find it amazing that I was only giving proper information about things like fibre and what certain foods do for parts of your body when it got to late and I had to make the change or suffer the consequences(Not going to get into it but lets just say not pleasant at all).

Before anyone jumps down my neck I know im mostly to blame for how I got, but I put some of that blame ob my parents as they were the people who "Conditioned" me with the foods I grew up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Little cousins are fat. One got a letter home from the school about it.

My cousin who is 10 said that she doesn't like running. Parents (particularly Mother who is my cousin is very fat). My Dad and I brought it up once to our detriment. Kids can't go out in streets where they live in London but only get exercise down the skateboard park at weekends. AFAIK dinners are mainly ready meals for dinner from M&S. They think its healthy cause it says the healthy option on the packet.

I'm home for 2 weeks and seriously, people have gotten fat here, especially the women! Most of the men around 20 - 35 are in relatively good condition, but the majority of the women I saw out on Friday night were quite fat. Easily more fat than not. One of the lads with in the group was home for a week aswell and couldn't believe it either.

I disagree that children don't play outside nowadays but I've no doubt they are driven around a lot more than needed.

Madam wrote: »
    Sorry I have to disagree:D My brother plays rugby, climbs hills for fun and imo out of all my brothers has the best diet you could think of(he lives in Australia so he's really into seafood and barbies of course)..

But he plays Rugby there is no way you can convince me he only eats 2000 calories a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Ah live and let live.

We don't have to worry about undernourishment, dirty water, vector borne diseases, so the biggest dangers humanity has faced are gone (in the Western World, at least). What to replace the anxiety with?

We can't really angst about cancer as means of prevention and elimination are largely as elusive as they were a century ago. Senility and dementia is largely the same. Even coronary heart disease and strokes are very difficult to predict and prevent, but at least diet has a certain role to play in these.

But hand-wringing about weight seems to be all the rage nowadays.

Not saying that there aren't any downsides to being fat. Morbid obesity does kill. But it seems that people wish to focus on fatness beyond reason because there is the chance that we have some control over it, rather than the spectre of more deadly diseases, which we don't.

Of course according to some papers, fatness causes all disease. A bit like the bad humours of the 16th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Ah live and let live.

We don't have to worry about undernourishment, dirty water, vector borne diseases, so the biggest dangers humanity has faced are gone (in the Western World, at least). What to replace the anxiety with?

We can't really angst about cancer as means of prevention and elimination are largely as elusive as they were a century ago. Senility and dementia is largely the same. Even coronary heart disease and strokes are very difficult to predict and prevent, but at least diet has a certain role to play in these.

But hand-wringing about weight seems to be all the rage nowadays.

Not saying that there aren't any downsides to being fat. Morbid obesity does kill. But it seems that people wish to focus on fatness beyond reason because there is the chance that we have some control over it, rather than the spectre of more deadly diseases, which we don't.

Of course according to some papers, fatness causes all disease. A bit like the bad humours of the 16th century.

If you've a healthy collestral and can do a few laps of a pitch without it causing you pain or to keel over gasping then weight is probably irrelevant. The problem is that being overweight is symptomatic of these issues

But it seems that people wish to focus on fatness beyond reason because there is the chance that we have some control over it, rather than the spectre of more deadly diseases, which we don't.
    But doesn't that make sense?
    I agree with you some people get way too hysterical about other people's (including strangers') lifestyles (and I'm not convinced "their health" is the big concern) but when someone's weight spirals out of control it's very difficult to reverse the damage and the habits, and it's crap for people's self esteem too, not to mention physical health, so it's a legitimate concern for someone if it's affecting family/friend(s).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ah live and let live.

Might be live and let die, in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I live in Germany but I travel back to Ireland fairly often. Though there are much more Plus Size Padlings in Ireland than you'd see on the continent, it's not as anywhere near as bad as the adults.

I was home for Christmas last winter and ran into some of the ”people” I went to school with for the first time in the best part of a decade. It's incredible to see how quickly they've let themselves go, and they're barely in their 30s: big bulbous bloodshot eyes, massive bellies hanging over their jeans barely contained in their Penney's shirts, huge pink balding heads with high blood pressure.

They all looked like raging Elmer Fudds. Most of them had stopped getting regular exercise since drinking took over their desire to play Gaelic football back in their early 20s but, really, it was all diet to blame. Supermacs twice or three times a week, fried breakfast every morning and a feed of drink all weekend. One morbidly obese girl I went to school with spends her weekends drinking TWO boxes of Tesco red wine (both nights) and listening to best of the 80s playlists instead of mixing with people, dancing, cycling etc. I had to tell her to sort her life out in front of everyone for her own good.

Why the quote-marks around people? What else could they be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Magaggie wrote: »
    Why the quote-marks around people? What else could they be?

Bed memories? Maybe they made life difficult for him/her. Bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fat kids usually have fat parents.
    It must therefore be the genes.

I had to tell her to sort her life out in front of everyone for her own good.

Wow. How charitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

biko wrote: »
    Fat kids usually have fat parents.
    It must therefore be the genes.

It must be partly genetic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wow. How charitable.

Not to mention inspiring

Not to mention inspiring

They tell you things straight out in the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Seems to be more fat children around now compared to 10 years ago. Must be those big boned genes spreading.

Advertisement