Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are your children fat? Why are they fat?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭berrygood

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd agree BG. I've found myself in the company of folks at weddings, christening, funerals and the like and in a fair few cases the general adults in the families present are pretty much all portly, but their kids aren't. They're the skinniest in the room. Funny enough in opposite land Spain has the highest childhood obesity problem in the EU, yet fat adults are rare to see on the streets of Spanish cities. When you do see someone like that they're very large, the early onset "middle aged spread" much more common here in people in their 20's is almost absent.

Just IMHO the very large and the very thin are generally outliers and have been and will be always around and are not a good basis to look at an overall population, it's the size of the "average folks" that tells you far more.

People just seem to have jumped on the "fat kids" bandwagon. It makes me quite annoyed as the last thing children should be concerned with is weight. They'll have from teenage years to old age to worry about that! If a parent is concerned about their child's weight, the best thing to do is deal with it without drawing attention to it. Take them out for walks (walking is great for losing weight) and give them healthier foods to eat. Educate them as they get older about healthy foods and exercise but do it in such a way that the children don't feel bad about themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

berrygood wrote: »
    People just seem to have jumped on the "fat kids" bandwagon. It makes me quite annoyed as the last thing children should be concerned with is weight. They'll have from teenage years to old age to worry about that! If a parent is concerned about their child's weight, the best thing to do is deal with it without drawing attention to it. Take them out for walks (walking is great for losing weight) and give them healthier foods to eat. Educate them as they get older about healthy foods and exercise but do it in such a way that the children don't feel bad about themselves.

Children have literally nothing to worry about. Their weight should be a concern as it goes on to teenage and adult years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I often hear people saying something like "It's not fair, they always stuff themselves with fast food an chocolate and they don't gain a pound."

This!

I used to think my brother and myself were skinny because it's "genetic", we never put on weight even-though we thought we ate loads. And everyone else thought we ate loads because they always saw us eating. It wasn't until I moved in with other people when I started college that I realised how much food they eat, especially portion sizes. And little my brother and I ate in relation to everyone else. I used to eat a bit of junk food (and still do!) but my meal sizes have always been quite small. Same with my brother. He can only eat half a plate of dinner in one sitting. These days I have put on some weight as I have moved in my boyfriend who eats way more than I am used to. And is constantly bringing junk food into the house.

There is a girl I work with who is very skinny. She often eats little bits of junk food like chocolate bars, and crisps. Yet never ever eats lunch at work. She'll just go smoke fags during the lunch break and might have a few chocolate bars. Yet everyone is like "Omg she's lucky she is so skinny and eats chocolate and junk all the time...bottomless pit!" etc etc

:confused: Some people don't seem to understand how you get fat.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Where are all these fat children? I can only think of two in the area where I live. And I certainly don't see it when I'm out and about. Puppy fat, yes, but not obese. I see far more obese adults.

I suspect that to a large degree the problem is in large part socio-economic. I live in a pretty middleclass area and I don't see a huge amount of overweight kids. But when I walk into town a lot of the inner city kids I see are frighteningly overweight. I don't mean puppy fat either, I mean most likely morbidly obese, struggling to walk properly overweight. I believe social services should have power to intervene in such cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭berrygood

iguana wrote: »
    I suspect that to a large degree the problem is in large part socio-economic. I live in a pretty middleclass area and I don't see a huge amount of overweight kids. But when I walk into town a lot of the inner city kids I see are frighteningly overweight. I don't mean puppy fat either, I mean most likely morbidly obese, struggling to walk properly overweight. I believe social services should have power to intervene in such cases.

I dunno. I grew up in a poor/bad area and there weren't any overweight children. Not saying that there aren't any obese children, but I think it's almost become fashionable for people to go on about overweight children. It's the new "thing". Even though there are very few children overweight or even close to overweight.

Obesity in adulthood is more of an issue, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Bafucin wrote: »
    It is just the way some people are. I am built like a pole, I eat like horse. Some kids gain it easier.

I eat takeaways and crap. Some people exercise and eat well but might be twice my size. Your build is your build some people are prone to being overweight.
    That's just not correct. A person is overweight, not because of their build but because of consuming surplus calories to requirements and not burning them.
    However, I do agree with Tarzana that there are some people who seem to have extremely fast metabolisms. I know others have said people who claim this actually don't eat that much, but I have witnessed it: people who eat and drink an amount that would make me fat, yet they remain very slim. And they don't do much exercise either. I'd say it'll catch up on them eventually, but they do exist. They're probably only a minority though. Then there are people who put on weight very easily. This may be rare, rarer than the reverse described above. Anecdotally I only know one such person. Obviously she doesn't have a very healthy diet, but she doesn't eat a ridiculous amount of crap at all - she eats the same amount that an average-sized person would. Unless she's a secret eater, but I doubt it. One thing: she does zero exercise. I wonder whether body type has a bearing on the food v exercise thing. I know, mathematically, diet will make the most difference, but I wonder does the effect of exercise vary. I know for me, exercise makes very little difference. It's very much diet with me. I am "apple-shaped" - excess fat will go straight to my stomach and the rest of me will stay relatively slim.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    We have caught up with the Americans now when it comes to waistlines.
    I don't know that we have. America is the country of super morbid obesity, the gastric band, stomach stapling, mobilised scooters for obese people to get around the place. Overall, we're not there in fairness.
    But hambos and jambos have been staples of Irish kids' lunches since the invention of the sliced pan, and the diet of the older, thinner generation seemed very carb heavy - a dinner isn't a dinner unless there are at least big spuds on the plate. I don't think you can really single out that factor.
    Indeed. The obsession with carb-cutting does neglect the above. In the 80s/early 90s when I was a kid, bread was deemed a healthy food - white bread too. Ate an amount of it that would be considered criminal by the anti carb lobby, but small portions, so I never put on weight. However if you want to lose weight, limiting carbs does seem to make the weight fly off.
    People just seem to have jumped on the "fat kids" bandwagon.
    Very much so. There's something kinda meanspirited about it all right. Although I wonder whether Iguana has a point about it being dependent on specific areas, but I'm certainly not seeing it across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I dunno. I grew up in a poor/bad area and there weren't any overweight children. Not saying that there aren't any obese children, but I think it's almost become fashionable for people to go on about overweight children.

I don't think it's "fashionable", it has simply become more of an issue as obesity has increased.

There is a proven association between household income and obesity. About 20% of nine-year olds in professional households are fat, this increases to roughly 30% and almost 40% of nine-year olds in poorer households.

http://www.growingup.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/Second_Child_Cohort_Reports/Growing_Up_in_Ireland_-_Overweight_and_Obesity_Among_9-Year-Olds_Executive_Summary.pdf

Now because 20% is a huge figure in its own right, it's clear that affordability is not the only factor in fatty foods uptake. But it is likely to be a factor, given the remarkable statistical divergence between richer and poorer households.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

I dunno. I grew up in a poor/bad area and there weren't any overweight children. Not saying that there aren't any obese children, but I think it's almost become fashionable for people to go on about overweight children. It's the new "thing". Even though there are very few children overweight or even close to overweight.

I see plenty of overweight children in Dublin, and almost always with overweight parents. It's not just diet (though that's undoubtedly the core issue) but also a lack of exercise.

IMHO a parent should not allow their child to opt out from all sports unless there is a fairly serious underlying medical reason for it. "She gets tired" or "other kids make fun of him for being overweight" are not good enough reasons. It's important to work with your kids and find something that they will do and enjoy doing, which gives them real exercise for at least two hours a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lord Arsraptor

SVJKarate wrote: »
    I see plenty of overweight children in Dublin, and almost always with overweight parents. It's not just diet (though that's undoubtedly the core issue) but also a lack of exercise.

IMHO a parent should not allow their child to opt out from all sports unless there is a fairly serious underlying medical reason for it. "She gets tired" or "other kids make fun of him for being overweight" are not good enough reasons. It's important to work with your kids and find something that they will do and enjoy doing, which gives them real exercise for at least two hours a week.

Very true, where I live in Dublin I'm seeing an increasingly high number of kids most people would consider overweight. The fault rests solely on the kids parents. I have neighbors on either side of me with 8-12 year old kids. on the one side, there's two apparently perfectly healthy youngsters. On the other side of the road, there's a youngish lad who would be around 5'0" and 75KG at a very conservative estimate. It's not only lack of physical activity, but the fact that, as I've been told by said kid's father, he's engrossed in his Xbox 5-6 hours a day. It's just not healthy.

EDIT: The Xbox is fine in itself, but clocking up 6 hours a day, it doesn't realistically allow him much time for anything else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

SVJKarate wrote: »

While I appreciate the notion, it still rubs me the wrong way somehow - school sports in particular was the reason I hated exercise and dismissed the very thought of any kind of sporting activity until about 2 years ago (and I'll be 40 this year).

I think exercise is indeed vitally important, but I know from personal experience how quickly any kind of enthusiasm a child might have for a particular activity can be destroyed forever by trying to force them.

In short, good idea, but tread carefully ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Very true, where I live in Dublin I'm seeing an increasingly high number of kids most people would consider overweight. The fault rests solely on the kids parents. I have neighbors on either side of me with 8-12 year old kids. on the one side, there's two apparently perfectly healthy youngsters. On the other side of the road, there's a youngish lad who would be around 5'0" and 75KG at a very conservative estimate. It's not only lack of physical activity, but the fact that, as I've been told by said kid's father, he's engrossed in his Xbox 5-6 hours a day. It's just not healthy.

Funnily enough, there's just been a documentary on Eden on the subject ("The truth about fat").
    One study was mentioned which has been running for 15 years now and is looking at mothers and children almost from the point of conception and through early years of childhood. One interesting result was that the diet of the mother can give the child a 25% probability of obesity before the age of 9. And surprisingly, this is the case when the mother's diet was insufficient in nutrients or erratic.

So, yes, quite possibly indeed the parents' fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

Fizzy drinks diet or not are the worst thing for making kids/people fat.

They are loaded with calories but don't fill you up. If everyone gave them up, and drank more water, obesity in kids would be halved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I genuinely think that a majority of people with weight problems (which is a fair percentage of the general pop.), young and old, intelligent and not so smart etc, just do not grasp the concept of how much a human body needs to consume in order to maintain a steady optimum healthy weight.

I see it all the time - people eating out at restaurants, in the office, weddings, family occasions, even at home in my mother's house (she's not overweight but I spent my teenage years on the chubby side until I moved away to college and got away from her 10+ potato dinners!)

For me, I have two choices if I want to keep my weight down: I either work-out like a crazy person and relax a bit on the food side of things (while keeping a close eye), or I hawk-eye my daily calorie intake like no-one's business, reducing the carbs way down and eating mainly protein and vegetables. Thems the choices. And I don't have 'metabolism issues', I'm just your average healthy 20-something female. If I eat an inordinate amount of shyte for a week, I'm instantly up half a stone. If I work-out in the gym an hour a day whilst still eating an inordinate amount of shyte, I'm not magically going to lose weight - I'm still going to gain it.

For the most part, maintaining a healthy weight is about more than the simple arithmetic though - it's about the culture surrounding food, the psychology of people's relationships with it, the 'diet' culture that encourages 'magic thinking'
    That very culture actually encourages laziness - 'shur it's grand, if I pop this pill twice a day I'll drop twenty pounds in a week! No need to focus on changing my diet....I'll just do the cabbage soup diet/Atkins diet/lemonade diet/standing-on-your-head-whilst-ingesting-green-tea-through-your-nose diet and that'll fix my weight problems" - which in turn adds to the dysfunctional relationship with food and leads to binge eating and further weight gain etc etc.

It's no coincidence the diet business is the most lucrative industry in the world and yet we're still getting fatter.

And a lot of this stuff starts during childhood. Growing up with an overweight parent who is perpetually "on a diet". Or food being used as a reward as a popular tool of parenting. Or just the general ignorance about portion sizes that can be fed (pardon pun) from an early age when you're learning how to feed yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

conorh91 wrote: »
    I hope you're not including me in that latter category.

I didn't start the thread to lambaste anybody. I started the thread because obesity is dangerous for human health, and hastens an individual's demise, and i am confused why parents allow it to happen in their families.

Death is inevitable. But hastening another individual's death, or visiting illness upon them without their control is a crime. Knowingly hastening your own child's death, or knowingly visiting illness upon your own child is something my brain just cannot process. I literally need it explained to me. I am asking because I am curious to know why people are doing it.

The thread title and the question you raised was "Are your children fat? Why are they fat?" My only comment in your direction was that nobody is going to come into this thread and tell you, "yes my kids are fat and here is why" as to do so would open themselves up to ridicule.

As I said, the only parents who will see your question and answer are the ones you don’t want to hear from, the parents who want to tell us all how their kids only get one treat per week and love their vegetables. No parents want to make themselves look bad, plenty will be quite happy to put themselves forward as being great though.

In one of your posts you suggested that kids need to be “educated” about food. Well, they most certainly are being educated… go watch Nickelodeon or any children’s TV station and watch the endless amount of garbage being advertised to children. To your eyes these ads might look stupid but, believe me, these companies know what they’re doing. They have numerous child psychologists employed and budgets of millions of dollars to come up with ways to make kids want their crap. The cheese string character, the Kellogg’s cereal characters, famous footballers drinking Pepsi, these ads are designed to appeal to kids, not to their parents.

The example of McDonalds came up. Take a young kid to McDonalds for the first time. He’s blown away right? Not really, in fact, I don’t think it makes much of an impression on young kids at all – the first few times. Thing is, McDonalds know this and have, of course, constructed their business around it. What do the McDonalds ads say to kids? They don't say, "come to McDonalds because we have tasty food", no, the message given to kids is that McDonalds is where you go for a treat, it’s where you’re brought if you’re good all week, it’s where you go to your friends’ birthday parties, it’s where happiness happens. As kids get older these messages are reinforced and, in many cases, they turn into reality as it is indeed where they are taken for treats and where their friends’ parties are held. The impact of this is of course deep. Few adults go to McDonalds because they love their food, they go because McDonalds make them feel fuzzy inside (a remnant from their childhood).

The notion that all parents can be expected to resist multimillion/ billion dollar corporations armed with trained child psychologists, actively trying to manipulate their kids on a daily basis is crazy. The fact that many can and do, as evidenced by the testimonies on here, is impressive but you can’t just lay the blame on the parents of the fat kids and, even if you do, you can’t lay any of the blame on the kids themselves.

My question to you is, let’s say we accept that fat kids are fat because their parents are negligent (in your words, criminal) what’s the solution then? Lock up all the parents? Throw all the kids into protection?

In my opinion, the minimum start (which I am fully aware would never have a chance of seeing the light of day) would be a blanket ban on all junk food advertising full stop – not just to kids, a very large tax on sugar and sugar like substances (HFCS etc) and health warnings on the packages similar to cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My own solution (which I am fully aware would never have a chance of seeing the light of day) would be a blanket ban on all junk food advertising full stop – not just to kids, a very large tax on sugar and sugar like substances (HFCS etc) and health warnings on the packages similar to cigarettes.

While I do agree that junk food advertising is pretty bad, people still have a choice to make their own decisions. Parents still have a choice not to bring their kids to fast food places and allow them eat junk.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    While I do agree that junk food advertising is pretty bad, people still have a choice to make their own decisions. Parents still have a choice not to bring their kids to fast food places and allow them eat junk.

Then let them decide on the basis of how good or bad the food is, cut out the psychological manipulation. The parent takes the kid to eat junk food, the parent has failed in their job, the kid suffers. The kids need to be protected and if their parents can't do it then the state has to.

The notion that all parents can be expected to resist multimillion/ billion dollar corporations armed with trained child psychologists, actively trying to manipulate their kids on a daily basis is crazy.
    No it isn't.

Fatty foods, consumed to excess, hasten death and cause serious illness.

The "notion", as you put it, that parents can resist hastening their children's death, or resist causing child illness, is not "crazy".

I don't care what kind of child psychology is employed. No European adult can credibly claim to have been be tricked into killing their child in such an obvious way.
    let’s say we accept that fat kids are fat because their parents are negligent (in your words, criminal) what’s the solution then? Lock up all the parents? Throw all the kids into protection?
    I am in favour of taxing the Hell out of fatty foods and incentivising healthy eating.

I merely wish it didn't have to come to that. I wish parents could behave responsibly in not hastening the death or illness of their children. I don't believe this is a lot to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

My LO is 18 months and loves all her fruit and veg, has never had chocolate or sweets and doesn't miss them because she doesn't know what they are.
    She's had a few corn snack type things at parties because it's easier than to listen to all the crap about how I'm awful and she's deprived.

I was an awful picky eater as a child and still am, I don't really know why, we never had treats or fizzy drinks, they just weren't in the house to have so there was no choice. I don't want her to be like that so all her dinners are made from scratch and have loads of veg in them. Her favourites are carrots and roasted parsnip. I know eventually she will get treats etc but for now she sees treats as carrot sticks and raisins. It sickens me to see parents buying kids breakfast rolls and energy drinks, it's just pure laziness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Obesity in adulthood is more of an issue, in my opinion.

I mentioned this in a previous thread. The "endemic" is simply overblown by interest groups. The likes of Operation Transformation will present an obese child and represent him as the norm rather than the exception.

I live in a working class area and there are very few fat children. Fat adults yes, but children no. The interesting thing is that I know a fair few obese parents, but crucially they have NOT passed on their habits to their children. Whether it's down to them openly accepting that they won't let their child follow their path or down to the pressure they feel from other parents/the media I don't know.

It just seems to me that when some tightly wound muppet sees one overweight child that it gives them licence to rant about an endemic in our society, conveniently ignoring the other 9 children at a normal weight they passed by on that day.

As others mentioned, young adult/adult obesity is far more of a pressing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's down to both diet and lack of exercise. I know a woman who bought a tablet for her 2 year old daughter recently...it's designed for kids but seriously - a 2 year old?! And I wouldn't say she eats very healthily either, she's already quite a big child for her age and gets "treated" to macdonalds a lot more often than she should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Purdies - spuds, potatoes

I should start a summer camp :)

I spent many a day breaking my back as a young lad picking potatoes in the Midlands. I never ever heard anyone say purdies

No it isn't.

Fatty foods, consumed to excess, hasten death and cause serious illness.

The vilification of fat and the rise in "low fat" (i.e. high sugar) alternatives has a very direct link to the rise of obesity over the past 30 or so years.

Your own ignorance on this suggests that the gap between you and the parents that you accuse of criminally damaging their kids' health is less than you seem to think.

The "notion", as you put it, that parents can resist hastening their children's death, or resist causing child illness, is not "crazy".

Reality would suggest otherwise. If all these ads have no impact and all humans are perfectly rational beings capable of deciding on the perfect course of action that is in both their and their children's' best interest, then why do so many people suffer from problems apparently caused by a lack of self control and why are the companies pumping millions into exploiting this lack of self control?

Simply waving your hand and saying "they should know better" is crazy. The reality is clear to anyone that these ads work, that people are confused as to what actually is healthy owing to widely conflicting information spewed out by a media with little concern for scientific integrity and government departments that base their dietary recommendations on what is good for the agricultural and food economy.

I don't care what kind of child psychology is employed. No European adult can credibly claim to have been be tricked into killing their child in such an obvious way.

I'm afraid in any objective hearing they can quite credibly claim that. If not, why are no parents being charged with negligence for all this child abuse they're imposing on their kids?

You yourself have been tricked as you parrot the industry line that eating fat causes obesity.

I am in favour of taxing the Hell out of fatty foods and incentivising healthy eating.

As noted, this is false. Fat taxes have been tried before and have failed. Eating fat doesn't make people fat.

I merely wish it didn't have to come to that. I wish parents could behave responsibly in not hastening the death or illness of their children. I don't believe this is a lot to ask.

I would bet that the vast majority of the parents with fat kits care very much for their kids and have no desire to hasten their deaths as you so crassly suggest. The reality is that there are fat kids around and we can all be as smug as we like about it. I'm sure you and all the posters on here celebrating their own parenting skills have zero personal issues or problems with self-control in any way. It just happens that being fat/ not being aware of how best to feed kids in a culture that purposely misinforms in this regard is a very visible example. You've demonstrated your own ignorance with your suggestion of imposing a fat tax so why so bemused by the idea that someone else might be a little bit more ignorant than you are?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I live in a working class area and there are very few fat children. Fat adults yes, but children no. The interesting thing is that I know a fair few obese parents, but crucially they have NOT passed on their habits to their children.
    Maybe, maybe not SFR. I've been to a few social gatherings where a large proportion of the adults(from the same families) were podgy all the way to obese, but the kids weren't. The kids were the skinniest humans in the room. Where they feeding the kids a better diet? Oh it's possible, but more likely that the kids being kids were burning off the calories in running around and fueling the business in growing up. I'd bet the farm if you fast forward ten years into the future the same kid's in their 20's would have a lot more large ones as a percentage, by 30 that would go up again.
    The vilification of fat and the rise in "low fat" (i.e. high sugar) alternatives has a very direct link to the rise of obesity over the past 30 or so years.

Your own ignorance on this suggests that the gap between you and the parents that you accuse of criminally damaging their kids' health is less than you seem to think.
    +1000. fat is not the enemy. For all the anti carbs backlash to that, carbs(at least complex carbs) are not particularly the enemy either. Balanced meals and especially portion control is the thing. Like that English researcher bloke who lost a couple of stones by only eating at McDonalds for 6 months. He restricted his portions. It's less about what someone eats and more about how much someone eats.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I am not ignorant of it, this is AH and people tend not to write with dogged scientific accuracy. By fatty foods I am referring to trans fats as one bad offender that I plucked out of the air as being a particularly serious offender. Of course, it is trite science that any food consumed to excess is going to have adverse health effects.
    Reality would suggest otherwise. If all these ads have no impact and all humans are perfectly rational beings capable of deciding on the perfect course of action that is in both their and their children's' best interest, then why do so many people suffer from problems apparently caused by a lack of self control and why are the companies pumping millions into exploiting this lack of self control?
    BECAUSE IT WORKS.

Because people are too goddamn stupid to see the writing on the wall.

Companies know this, and they market products that only the truly stupid would consume to excess. That's not the companies' fault. People buy all sorts of dumb stuff from lottery tickets to homeopathic shampoo. Regularly buying low quality foods high in trans fats (since we're being specific) fits on that spectrum.
    I'm afraid in any objective hearing they can quite credibly claim that. If not, why are no parents being charged with negligence for all this child abuse they're imposing on their kids?
    If kids are getting so fat that their health is being compromised, I believe that intervention is something that should be considered, and so do other people

http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/2012/10/should-you-be-prosecuted-for-feeding-junk-food-to-your-child/

http://www.thewire.com/politics/2011/07/harvard-researchers-want-fat-kids-taken-their-homes/39894/

I thought it was interesting that the Harvard paper suggested this doesn't happen, at least in the US, because the system would be swamped with kids taken from their parents.

It's a crisis. People need to cop on.
    I would bet that the vast majority of the parents with fat kits care very much for their kids and have no desire to hasten their deaths as you so crassly suggest.
    I didn't say they have a desire to do it. I said they are doing it without properly reflecting on what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

krudler wrote: »
    They're not fat they're kidnap resistant.

I remember a friend of mine making up a t-shirt logo 'Fat people are harder to kidnap', years later I spotted Clarkson on top gear was wearing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

I remember a friend of mine making up a t-shirt logo 'Fat people are harder to kidnap', years later I spotted Clarkson on top gear was wearing it.

Made it up years ago? Ah shtop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

The thread title still makes me laugh... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

1 organic cucumber - €2.10

Tesco frozen chips (1.5 kilo) - €1.15

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

I mentioned this in a previous thread. The "endemic" is simply overblown by interest groups. The likes of Operation Transformation will present an obese child and represent him as the norm rather than the exception.

I live in a working class area and there are very few fat children. Fat adults yes, but children no. The interesting thing is that I know a fair few obese parents, but crucially they have NOT passed on their habits to their children. Whether it's down to them openly accepting that they won't let their child follow their path or down to the pressure they feel from other parents/the media I don't know.

It just seems to me that when some tightly wound muppet sees one overweight child that it gives them licence to rant about an endemic in our society, conveniently ignoring the other 9 children at a normal weight they passed by on that day.

As others mentioned, young adult/adult obesity is far more of a pressing issue.

I notice the same myself, most kids at my child's school (which is where I would see them in large numbers) seem well proportioned. But it's hard to judge, I live semi-rural, so most kids would be outdoors a lot, not necessarily structured activity but generally playing outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

It's portion sizes I'm sure of it. Myself and a few friends were discussing it and its strange how parents don't see they are feeding small children portions that are adult sized or dish up the same portions as they themselves are having. There is also the fact that parents don't see their kids as overweight, they see them as their kids.

But yeah, just to disagree with the above kids are most definitely getting bigger, the adults too. But its something that's not really talked about.

Advertisement