Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are your children fat? Why are they fat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They tell you things straight out in the continent.

That they do, a better class of people really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I live in Germany but I travel back to Ireland fairly often. Though there are much more Plus Size Padlings in Ireland than you'd see on the continent, it's not as anywhere near as bad as the adults.

I was home for Christmas last winter and ran into some of the ”people” I went to school with for the first time in the best part of a decade. It's incredible to see how quickly they've let themselves go, and they're barely in their 30s: big bulbous bloodshot eyes, massive bellies hanging over their jeans barely contained in their Penney's shirts, huge pink balding heads with high blood pressure.

They all looked like raging Elmer Fudds. Most of them had stopped getting regular exercise since drinking took over their desire to play Gaelic football back in their early 20s but, really, it was all diet to blame. Supermacs twice or three times a week, fried breakfast every morning and a feed of drink all weekend. One morbidly obese girl I went to school with spends her weekends drinking TWO boxes of Tesco red wine (both nights) and listening to best of the 80s playlists instead of mixing with people, dancing, cycling etc. I had to tell her to sort her life out in front of everyone for her own good.

Well aren't you the charmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Magaggie wrote: »
    Why the quote-marks around people? What else could they be?

Many of these "people" felt they were the be all and the end all when we were in school. Elite players on the football team. Now they are stuck with big bellies and no ambition. The game of life isn't a sprint. And I passed them out many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

One morbidly obese girl I went to school with spends her weekends drinking TWO boxes of Tesco red wine (both nights) and listening to best of the 80s playlists instead of mixing with people, dancing, cycling etc. I had to tell her to sort her life out in front of everyone for her own good.

What he meant was : one quite overweight girl I went to school with drinks quite a lot of cheap red wine while listening to nostalgic music on the weekends. Probably because she's quite lonely and feeling a bit down because of her weight gain*. So I enquired if she is doing okay and would she like to go for a walk in the park sometime.

(it's German diplomacy, you need to read between the lines)

*also entirely possible that this girl was bullied in school (for her own good) and has severe confidence issues because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

50, 60, 70+ years ago very few people were fat except those who overate, but few enough could afford to do that. Today everything has changed, habits, food, lifestyle, are all very different to back then. Those were the days when children did not have pocket money for school lunch, you just got a jam sandwich and a bottle of milk. Now kids are handed money for lunch in the school canteen, but they get to choose their own menu which is usually curry chips, crisps, fizzy drinks all extremely high in calories. High calorie intake plus low calorie out-take equals one little tubby person. Today there is a lot of sugar in almost all processed foods, even tinned beans. As for those Pink Lady apples, and grapes, they are both very high in (natural) sugars. Sugar of any kind is addictive. And I should know, because I am flippin' addicted to both, dammit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    50, 60, 70+ years ago very few people were fat except those who overate, but few enough could afford to do that. Today everything has changed, habits, food, lifestyle, are all very different to back then. Those were the days when children did not have pocket money for school lunch, you just got a jam sandwich and a bottle of milk. Now kids are handed money for lunch in the school canteen, but they get to choose their own menu which is usually curry chips, crisps, fizzy drinks all extremely high in calories. High calorie intake plus low calorie out-take equals one little tubby person. Today there is a lot of sugar in almost all processed foods, even tinned beans. As for those Pink Lady apples, and grapes, they are both very high in (natural) sugars. Sugar of any kind is addictive. And I should know, because I am flippin' addicted to both, dammit!

That rarely happens, I don't even know one school that has a canteen.

You might not know every school in the country though! :) But I know at least three secondary schools where 11/12 year olds buy their curry chips.

Edit: If we are talking about primary school children, we have all seen them exit their schools and charge into the local sweetie shops, haven't we? I even see them in the local shopping centre on their way home from school, and they are pretty young kids with money burning in their pockets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

superman28 wrote: »
    It is shocking how many obese children there are in Ireland and more shocking still to know that this is the first generation of kids that will have a shorter lifespan than their parents.

No empirical evidence to support that. It's a tabloid headline that's been debunked by a number of experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's 80% diet and 20% exercise!! I think once a week for mcdonalds is too much in my opinion. Once a month is healthier.

You can go to Burger King, Abrakebabra and KFC the other weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The milk in the sauce bottle :) Not so nice in warm weather though :(

Back then if you went into a shop you needed to know what you wanted as everything was behind the counter unlike today where all sorts of goodies are pushed in your face :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

My school did. It had everything mentioned in the quote too. Guess I'm lucky I escaped not being obese :pac:

Aspiring wrote: »
    My school did. It had everything mentioned in the quote too. Guess I'm lucky I escaped not being obese :pac:

Maybe you just ate smaller portions than everyone else :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Maybe you just ate smaller portions than everyone else :)!

Nah never ate from it really, the food was always horrible mostly, with the exception for the curry chips they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I had to tell her to sort her life out in front of everyone for her own good.
    Good work there Dr. Von Bismarck. Any educated, socially astute person knows that the best way to help someone displaying classic signs of depression is to publicly humiliate them. It's for their own good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Many of these "people" felt they were the be all and the end all when we were in school. Elite players on the football team. Now they are stuck with big bellies and no ambition. The game of life isn't a sprint. And I passed them out many years ago.
    Doesn't answer my question. How are they not people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

My secondary had a canteen. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Luckily you dont seem to have held on to any chip on your shoulder. You win at life I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

I'm currently at 8% bodyfat, and my arms are still 16 inches (and growing) didn't come here to argue just to gloat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Dont have kids, grew up on a farm so there was no time for MacDonalds, Nintendos, watching tele or anti social behaviour.
    Too much internet and fast food are turning this generation into a nation of fattys.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Such a shame to see so many fat kids. Parents need to cop the f*ck on. I don't mind seeing fat adults cos that's your choice, your lifestyle, whatever. But you should never then introduce your children to that. Surely it must be hard to break that cycle if you're a fat kid and it's all you've ever known?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Dont have kids, grew up on a farm so there was no time for MacDonalds, Nintendos, watching tele or anti social behaviour.
    Too much internet and fast food are turning this generation into a nation of fattys.
    Nintendos, now there's a genericised trademark I haven't heard in a while. I bet your refer to nightclubs as "discos" too.

And wouldn't anti-social behaviour be conducive to weight loss? All that yanking down saplings and running from police sounds like it'd burn a fair few calories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I bet your refer to nightclubs as "discos" too.

I was not the full country gombeen at all, I was a city boy in relation to people from the real rural ireland.
    And wouldn't anti-social behaviour be conducive to weight loss? All that yanking down saplings and running from police sounds like it'd burn a fair few calories.

They should be athletics :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't have kids but I have witnessed my friend's whiney brats begging for sweets, crisps etc. It must be really tempting to shove a giant bar of chocolate in their mouth just to shut them up. Ive a really low tolerance for anyone pestering me so I worry about this aspect of parenting!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I live in Germany but I travel back to Ireland fairly often. Though there are much more Plus Size Padlings in Ireland than you'd see on the continent, it's not as anywhere near as bad as the adults.

I was home for Christmas last winter and ran into some of the ”people” I went to school with for the first time in the best part of a decade. It's incredible to see how quickly they've let themselves go, and they're barely in their 30s: big bulbous bloodshot eyes, massive bellies hanging over their jeans barely contained in their Penney's shirts, huge pink balding heads with high blood pressure.

They all looked like raging Elmer Fudds. Most of them had stopped getting regular exercise since drinking took over their desire to play Gaelic football back in their early 20s but, really, it was all diet to blame. Supermacs twice or three times a week, fried breakfast every morning and a feed of drink all weekend. One morbidly obese girl I went to school with spends her weekends drinking TWO boxes of Tesco red wine (both nights) and listening to best of the 80s playlists instead of mixing with people, dancing, cycling etc. I had to tell her to sort her life out in front of everyone for her own good.

Yeah, sure you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

My kids are just big boned

jk I don't have kids, I hate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

My kids are just big boned

jk I don't have kids, I hate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

The OP seems to be looking for parents to come into this thread, see his question and voluntarily offer themselves up as sacrificial lambs to the slaughter.

Nail on the head.

Why do they need to answer to the OP, anyway? Taxpayer's money, blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I'm currently at 8% bodyfat, and my arms are still 16 inches (and growing) didn't come here to argue just to gloat.

16 inch long arms and 8% bodyfat. Hmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Some kids simply have the type of body that's prone to carrying some extra weight, while I'll admit, food and exercise has an impact, it's not always the case. When I was about 15/16, I had to watch my diet very carefully while also exercising intensely multiple times a week to avoid ballooning out. Even if I ate healthy and just what I wanted, I'd still gain weight. Now, a few years later, I can't even remember the last truly healthy meal I had, and I eat a bunch of crap, but I still have a healthy weight. I know another guy that pretty much only eats healthy and doesn't eat nearly as much as I do, and his body fat percentage is a considerable amount more than mine. The lifestyle humans are supposed to live and the lifestyle we live today are totally different, some people's bodies are more adapted, so they can stay in shape without engaging in insane amounts of activity or practically starving themselves, but a lot of people's bodies aren't like that. While yes, it's definitely partially the fault of the food we eat, but that's not the sole reason so many people including kids are overweight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

I live in Germany

Really? You've never mentioned that before.

Advertisement