Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are your children fat? Why are they fat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

conorh91 wrote: »
    Why are children growing up in a state of poor health? Are your children fat? Why is that?

Parents have been misinformed.

Acting upon the flawed Seven Countries Study caused a shift in foods supplied in shops; low in fat but high in sugar. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Countries_Study

Sugar is addictive so people tend to consume more of it without feeling satisfied. http://m.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/white-poison-danger-sugar-beat-article-1.1605232

Way too much carbs are eaten by people in this country. Leaving aside the obvious junk food such as chips, people eat way too much bread, potatoes and pasta Ireland.

Incompetence in government has led to misinformation such as the Food Pyramid.

People didn't change. The food sold in the shops did.

So what can people do? They can sort the correct information from the sea of unhelpful information that is out there, and change diet. Where can they get the correct information. Right here. For free. http://touch.boards.ie/forum/982

Excercise is great for many reasons but unless you get diet right, you are hitting your head against a brick wall. The saying goes; you can't out-train a bad diet (although maybe you can if you're a marathon runner).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Candie wrote: »
    I know what a bog is! I don't know what hashing is :).

I've never heard spuds called purdies though.
    Hashing is working vigorously.

So if anyone asks you if you are busy, you reply 'aye, hashing flat out', or 'flat out hashing, aye'. Works both ways. :)

Purdie is a very specific North Donegal word, never heard it anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

The statistics seem to be completely misleading, in my experience anyway. I see very few fat kids around the place to be honest, maybe 1 in 25. And in my year last year there were about 105 of us, and I'd say there were 3 people who were fat. Not exactly frightening statistics.

Maybe it's just because we're a different breed down in this end of the country ;):p

Hashing is working vigorously.

So if anyone asks you if you are busy, you reply 'aye, hashing flat out', or 'flat out hashing, aye'. Works both ways. :)

Purdie is a very specific North Donegal word, never heard it anywhere else.

I was hashing out the paperwork today. I was flat out hashing out the hash browns but the purdies were off.

I'm learning how to talk Culchie!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I have a food baby.

Bog - the place where you get turf
    Purdies - spuds, potatoes

I should start a summer camp :)

Can I come? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I was hashing out the paperwork today. I was flat out hashing out the hash browns but the purdies were off.

Good stuff. And if something ever hits you, its : "Who thrun that!?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

It's 80% diet and 20% exercise!! I think once a week for mcdonalds is too much in my opinion. Once a month is healthier.

Most meals you'd get in mcdonalds would be healthier than the ****e they'd be giving them at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I was hashing at the paperwork today. I was flat out hashing a wheen of hash browns but the purdies were aff, hai

Now you're a culchie :)

I'm up on the thrun. I thrun a cukebuke at me mudder when she was cuke-ing the dinner (lunch). She said she'd hand it a lash.

I'll be fluent in no time.

Next week on 'How To Speak Culchie', pronouns - 'Tha' 'Wha' 'Yiz' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

It is shocking how many obese children there are in Ireland and more shocking still to know that this is the first generation of kids that will have a shorter lifespan than their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Here, Trun is a Dublin Word !

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Because they let them eat whatever they want! I don't have kids, but I babysat a lot of kids when I was a teenager so could see what lots of kids were eating. Most were grand, but a few of them could just go to the fridge/press/whatever whenever they wanted and take sweets, chocolate, crips, fizzy drinks etc :eek: I couldn't believe it. When we were kids we had to ask our parents even if we wanted a glass of milk or an apple! And we didn't have any junk food in the house.

Another one is portion size. Some parents seems to think children need adult sized portions.

Exercise is obviously a factor, but I reckon it's mostly down to diet.

uch wrote: »
    Here, Trun is a Dublin Word !

It fair isn't. :mad:

It fair isn't. :mad:

Right thats it, outside now !!

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

My son eats what he wants and he gets a mc donalds once a week, He is as thin as a lat though as he gets mountains of exercise
    he is just coming up on 3

No offence but two is probably wayyyy too young to be eating McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

No offence but two is probably wayyyy too young to be eating McDonalds.

They would at least want to be primary school age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

One of my kids is pretty fat....:(
    He's got fat rolls on his thighs, knees, ankles, wrists, neck....kinda everywhere.

But he's only 6 months and apparently it's a good thing at that age :D
    The other 2 or tall and skinny cause they eat healthy and get tonnes of exercise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

wexie wrote: »
    He's got fat rolls on his thighs, knees, ankles, wrists, neck....kinda everywhere.

But he's only 6 months and apparently it's a good thing at that age :D
    The other 2 or tall and skinny cause they eat healthy and get tonnes of exercise
    Real babies have curves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Children these days don't know what a day's hashing in the bog or the purdie field is.
    I'm 39 and I don't have a Scooby what you're on about.

Right thats it, outside now !!

Ah hayor now, lad. Im a better baler than any Mc Hale!

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »

My missus loves fat babies to phaaarp their legs and belly, babies seem to love this

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Saw a woman today feeding Snax crisps to her sprog in a buggy. I don't understand why she can't just give him a grape or something...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

No Pants wrote: »
    I'm 39 and I don't have a Scooby what you're on about.

Working in the bog and I assume picking potatoes(neither of which I've done). Unless gathering potatoes in my granda's garden counts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

My missus loves fat babies to phaaarp their legs and belly, babies seem to love this

Yeah he's just starting to giggle, awfully entertaining and distracting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

conorh91 wrote: »
    Are your children fat? Why is that?

No, of course not.

Why - Years of karate training, and genetics.

Mostly genetics, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

KungPao wrote: »
    Saw a woman today feeding Snax crisps to her sprog in a buggy. I don't understand why she can't just give him a grape or something...:confused:

Because the child "Doesn't like grapes" they don't like grapes cause when they moan your automatic response is to "Shut them up" with **** food. Poor excuse of parenting.

SVJKarate wrote: »

Mostly genetics, honestly.

Dont go with that shít, I'm a fat little bolix, but my adult chizzlers are slim and tall, and my missus isn't that tall

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

In my opinion one of the main reasons that people in general are getting fatter and fatter is money plain and simple.

Go into your local shops and supermarkets and you cant get to the till without having to climb over a 2 bars for 1 euro or some other cheap ass promotion of food that is really bad for you and the greed of the shop or supermarket owners will just take all the dosh they can get off the people who make that cheap crap.

Plus the fact that the crap is sooo cheap to make that what they pay the supermarket is miniscule conpared to what they get in. I bet the bosses of the company that makes the crap food doesn't eat a morsal of the $hit cause they know how bad it is.

We need to train the 5 year old kids that are starting school now so this vicious circle doesn't just continue into the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Real babies have curves.
    Maybe. All my rellies are skinny, yet in baby pictures they're like fat buddhas. I was a big fatty as a baby. Maybe it's the breastfeeding thing?

Between diet and exercise? Yea, ideally it should work out equal, but again looking at my kin it seems to be much more about eating less. As one of my great uncles told me in his late 80's the only exercise I take is walking slowly behind the hearses of men who took exercise*. :D Now in fairness some exercise, others don't, but they're all thin, because overall they have small appetites and eat less. It's a lot easier to not eat the cake with 900 calories than to exercise off 900 calories. The smaller appetite is the biggie mind you. That makes things very easy if it's a default. If it's not it must be bloody hard. I know that when I am actually hungry you better not get in my way for fear of falling to cannibalism. If I was like that more of the time I'd be the size of a small house. I can't imagine how hard it is for someone who is hungry all or most of the time.

*when he finally dropped off the twig and joined the choir invisible he was buried in a suit he'd had made to measure when he was 30 so maybe he had a point...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

One of my brothers was a real fattie when he was young (we called him Sumo), he has however grown up while not fat still 'stocky' and no matter what diet you would put him on I suppose you can't change someone's body shape!

Advertisement