Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are your children fat? Why are they fat?

Options
  • 07-08-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Was reminded of this by the Kindergarten thread, but in this case the consequences are more serious than personal appearance.

More than one quarter of 9-year olds in this country are already overweight or obese.

This statistic increases even further as children grow into teenage years.

We are walking into a serious health problem, it's time to stop tip-toeing around it.

Why are children growing up in a state of poor health? Are your children fat? Why is that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Food > Exercise

I was a fat child, and still am a fat man, why is this? I enjoy food too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

If there are fat children, the responsibility lies with the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They're not fat they're kidnap resistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Children these days don't know what a day's hashing in the bog or the purdie field is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I think some parents give their children bigger portion sizes than are necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

My son eats what he wants and he gets a mc donalds once a week, He is as thin as a lat though as he gets mountains of exercise

My son eats what he wants and he gets a mc donalds once a week, He is as thin as a lat though as he gets mountains of exercise

Exercise alone will not stop the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

krudler wrote: »
    They're not fat they're kidnap resistant.

Tell me about it. Have to get a twin wheel Scania with the forklift on the back now:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

It's the parents responsibility to teach their children healthy eating and bad food in moderation. My son gets a sweet treat once a week and it's just a small thing.

He loves good food and that's because I thought him too. That's what we all eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Macavity. wrote: »

I've three - all skinny yokes and they eat all around them, crap included. They exercise though and are on the go all day. Could just be jammy genes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

That's great. But even where kids are active a lot, there comes an age where they need to be aware of responsible dieting. There comes an age when exercising all day long is not an option anymore. If kids don't get educated in responsible food intake, what will happen when they get older and need to sit at desks and in traffic for 50 hours per week?

Not trying to personalize it to you, as I'm sure you're a great responsible parent. Just making a point about some who take the attitude of 'they'll work it off, I'm not concerned".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Children these days don't know what a day's hashing in the bog or the purdie field is.

Wouldn't let anyone that uses them phrases near my Children

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Laziness really. Parents feeding themselves and childern processed food full of crap. Ready meals and takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

when i was a kid everyone was out running around after a football or playing chase on the road. now a days its xbox and playstation. they play virtual football with there fingers its called fifa : ) getting fat on the sofa eating crisps drinking coke and its all there parents fault. if your kids dont like sport simply bring them for walks to the beach forest or park. most fat kids are the result of lazy parents

It's 80% diet and 20% exercise!! I think once a week for mcdonalds is too much in my opinion. Once a month is healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

conorh91 wrote: »
    That's great. But even where kids are active a lot, there comes an age where they need to be aware of responsible dieting. There comes an age when exercising all day long is not an option anymore. If kids don't get educated in responsible food intake, what will happen when they get older and need to sit at desks and in traffic for 50 hours per week?

Not trying to personalize it to you, as I'm sure you're a great responsible parent. Just making a point about some who take the attitude of 'they'll work it off, I'm not concerned".
    Oh I know that, he eats very well but we allow him one treat a week, he is a fecker for baby stem broccoli and pink lady apples. he is just coming up on 3 so I intend to get him involved with the cooking very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Macavity. wrote: »

Its enough when you're young. I have a sh!t diet but I exercise a lot and I'm in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I only let the kids have junk once a week, saturday is treat day but even at that I'll make it all from scratch. I make most of our food myself and we are vegetarian so that might help. I don't keep sweets etc in the house cause if they aren't there they can't have them. Pester power is hard to resist so myself or himself will do the shopping alone. Portions are important too, a lot of kids do eat pretty well just too much of it.

uch wrote: »
    Wouldn't let anyone that uses them phrases near my Children
    When I was a wain I spent every evening after school in October/November gathering purdies, done me no harm. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It's 80% diet and 20% exercise!! I think once a week for mcdonalds is too much in my opinion. Once a month is healthier.

I never got any when I was growing up (seriously!) and I'm still fat ;)

MadYaker wrote: »
    Its enough when you're young. I have a sh!t diet but I exercise a lot and I'm in good shape.

It wouldn't be enough for me. If my diet is bad I swell up. :o

Shenshen wrote: »
    I never got any when I was growing up (seriously!) and I'm still fat ;)

Well you don't have to have McDs to eat bad. My parents had a deep fat fryer! ugh. Everything went in it :/

When I was a wain I spent every evening after school in October/November gathering purdies, done me no harm. :)

I'm from Dublin City, my kids probably wouldn't know what Turf is or where it comes from

21/25

uch wrote: »
    I'm from Dublin City, my kids probably wouldn't know what Turf is or where it comes from
    Send them up to me next May, I'll soon cure that. ;)

Never mind kids, I don't know what they are.

Candie wrote: »
    Never mind kids, I don't know what they are.

Bog - the place where you get turf
    Purdies - spuds, potatoes

I should start a summer camp :)

To be fair, I used to be sent to my aunt's for a week to foot Turf when I was deemed strong enough, it'd put manners on any little bollix from anywhere

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

The OP seems to be looking for parents to come into this thread, see his question and voluntarily offer themselves up as sacrificial lambs to the slaughter.

“Duh, yeah my kidz is all fat coz I’ feed them whatevers they like. I’m not gonna let me baby go hungry etc.”

If we were to go by that select group that is parents on boards.ie it would seem that all the kids in Ireland are health conscious whippets who love broccoli, getting lots of exercise and only take one treat per week. It’s a pity reality, and the numbers that go with it, don’t back this up.

The reality is there are a lot of fat kids about these days. People are quick to point out how it’s all the fault of the parents but that doesn’t really achieve much apart from make them feel better about their own parenting skills.

So, let’s concede the point. Some kids are fat and some parents don’t give a **** about it. The parents might rightly be lambasted but it’s hardly the kids fault is it? So what’s the solution? We can all congregate on boards.ie feeling smug or maybe, as a society, we could accept some form of programme designed at reducing these fat kids’ plight? Of course many of the self-righteous boasters on here would baulk at any effort to help out those less fortunate kids who don’t have responsible parents as the only real options are likely to involve either taxing junk food or restricting access to it and advertising of it.

• Advertisement

I know what a bog is! I don't know what hashing is :).

I've never heard spuds called purdies though.

Advertisement