Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish winner in Euromillions 175 million..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I heard they're putting the whole lot into Prize Bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Living in the area for two generations

Pfft, bloody blow-ins :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Everyone in the Naul knows who they are so they are guaranteed not to live their life in peace with people looking for money off them. Ordinary life is over for them now. A guy I worked with said he knew someone who won a million, went the pub and looked after everyone for the night. Everyone was calling him a stingy bastard for not giving them money. You can't win. If he gave them all a few grand he'd still be stingy for only giving a few grand after winning a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Jet Black wrote: »
    Everyone in the Naul knows who they are so they are guaranteed not to live their life in peace with people looking for money off them. Ordinary life is over for them now. A guy I worked with said he knew someone who won a million, went the pub and looked after everyone for the night. Everyone was calling him a stingy bastard for not giving them money. You can't win. If he gave them all a few grand he'd still be stingy for only giving a few grand after winning a million.

If he gave everyone money he’d be accused of showing off. Loke you said, can’t win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Someone off the phone with a family member, Duleek Syndicate 19m each.

Also this:
    https://m.facebook.com/DuleekDistrictNews/posts/2160229914057579

That’s if it a true syndicate. When you win you always need to say it a syndicate. It does r need to be evenly split.

Otherwise if you take the money and give some to family they need to pay tax. Being a “syndicate “ avoids this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I am not going to go looking for money off them, nor are you. Or anyone else on the thread?

What people are going to be looking for money off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Better them than me. If I won that sort of mess I'd be dead within 2 months.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What people are going to be looking for money off them?

It's normal for big lottery winners to get begging letters, in extreme cases (maybe moreso abroa) kidnapping can be a problem too.

Virgin media TV news are camped outside the shop in hope the winner will turn up, if it was me that would be the last place of be going right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

If I won that amount of money, the first thing I'd do is hire 2 private investigators and get them to follow each other around.

It's normal for big lottery winners to get begging letters, in extreme cases (maybe moreso abroa) kidnapping can be a problem too.

Virgin media TV news are camped outside the shop in hope the winner will turn up, if it was me that would be the last place of be going right now.

It's normal for people to say that. But is there any proof? Thousands of big winners over the years, and I hear very little about any of them good or bad, after a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's good that it's going to several people, and jackpot will be diluted even more with sons and daughters and grand kids so on.
    It's not going to one stingy bastard, would hate it if it was some low life who won it all. It's a great outcome and a nice story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's normal for people to say that. But is there any proof? Thousands of big winners over the years, and I hear very little about any of them good or bad, after a few weeks.

Well the Irish ones probably just move to a huge gaff in D4 Embassy Belt and will blend in very quickly with all the existing multi millionaires there, who don’t get any hassle or begging letters either!

It would be an awful thing to keep it a secret, and only be revealed when you die. If you told even one other person it would surely leak out. Or they would be burdened with the secret as well. Far better to go public and the whole hue and cry will be over in a short time.

I'd say begging letters are a definite - always people around who think they are owed something by someone.

I'd say begging letters are a definite - always people around who think they are owed something by someone.

There are plenty of people with a lot more than €175 mill. It can't be that hard to manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I always thought a sum of money this large could ruin a family for generations.

Imagine if a couple with teenage kids won that.

Kids might switch off, forget about education and ever working.

And with the amount, their kids could do same and so on.

There are plenty of people with a lot more than €175 mill. It can't be that hard to manage.

Never said it was hard to manage - more a pain and people should have a bit of self respect and not beg just because someone came into a bit of money.

Never said it was hard to manage - more a pain and people should have a bit of self respect and not beg just because someone came into a bit of money.

Nobody here is going to do that. I just wonder how people find out about the begging letters?

Nobody here is going to do that. I just wonder how people find out about the begging letters?

I dont know everybody here so cant comment on that!

I dont know everybody here so cant comment on that!

Fair enough. If anyone on Boards is going to send them a begging letter, they can let us know. Do you know anyone who sent begging letters to other winners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That documentary on lottery winners last year really was an eye opener. The guy who won a nice bit of money and I think he both two pubs in the same small village. He was competing against himself for jaysus sake. I mean he made a balls of it and I think his brothers were rolling in money or certainly very well off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That documentary on lottery winners last year really was an eye opener. The guy who won a nice bit of money and I think he both two pubs in the same small village. He was competing against himself for jaysus sake. I mean he made a balls of it and I think his brothers were rolling in money or certainly very well off.

I remember he read out one letter, it was from a pensioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

buried wrote: »
    Better them than me. If I won that sort of mess I'd be dead within 2 months.

So you'd be dead AND 'buried'?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And the vast majority are either born to it, or they made the money themselves DX. That's a huge difference between those people and lotto winners. If you had it by fluke of birth, then you've grown up with it, in a family and life structure that understands what it is and how to manage it and how to keep hassle at a distance. If you made it yourself, it wasn't overnight, so you had time to grow into it at every level from "wow, I have extra money" through to "money makes money" through to "money personally has no real impact beyond managing it"(another huge aspect) and how to keep hassle at a distance.

In either case it wasn't overnight and though they have beggars around them and self made folks usually have huge entourages, they've grown into managing all that. Lotto winners of this magnitude simply don't have that. At this level money is not just something you've lots of to spend.

One good thing seems to be emerging. It's a family syndicate and it'll be broken down into more manageable, less crazy shares. It'll almost certainly cause familial problems, but not nearly as big a burden as a lone winner with a load of family and friends.

I remember reading the tales of a solicitor cum financial advisor(in the UK IIRC) who had advised lotto winners for many years. He had all sorts of stories, many of which involved stress and friends and family fallout. Divorce was extremely common. He was asked if he'd like to win big on the lotto. His reply was he would love to win around the 1-10 millions level, but of the 40-50-100 millions level, no way. He said of such a win, he would love the first six months after the initial hubbub died down, but before the crazy leaked in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Divorce is very common in the UK for people who never won the Lotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

TomSweeney wrote: »
    If it ever happened to me , I don't think I would tell anyone - just wife and siblings and parents, but no one else ... not even close friends or inlaws.

I knew an accountant that dealt with a lot of lottery winners, he told me it was the kiss of death.
    I like to think I'd have the maturity and common sense not to let it ruin my life - but who knows ?

This same accountant told me another story of a woman that won the lottery and didn't tell her family, it was the irish lottery so nothing on the Euromillions scale, but she was terrified it would destroy the family so she was sitting on a few million in the bank.
    Husband out working his ass off and none the wiser, years passed and she was then terrified to tell him cos she thought he'd ****ing lose it after realising she was sitting on it all these years.
    Crazy story.

Accountants used to be the soul of discretion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This is my local shop, I'll let you all know who has gold rims on their tractor by the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭keano25

Talk about lucky... Turns out one of them has won £600,000 (punt) in the lotto before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I read some where yesterday one of the family members said that the win "won't change their lives".

Heard this said before by numerous Lotto winners.

Why do they buy tickets then if they don't want a large life changing win?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Divorce is very common in the UK for people who never won the Lotto.
    Well his point was it's significantly higher among large lotto winners. Three or four times higher IIRC. The number who go broke in a few years after winning the "smaller" sums of a few millions is quite high too. While a million sounds like and is a lot of money and if you're frugal and can manage money it would make a big difference in the average life, but if you go even slightly nuts and can't manage money you could piss through it remarkably easily. I know someone who out of the blue inherited around three mill from an externally "poor" bachelor uncle and it was pretty much gone after about five years with little to show for it.
    murpho999 wrote:
    I read some where yesterday one of the family members said that the win "won't change their lives".

Heard this said before by numerous Lotto winners.

Why do they buy tickets then if they don't want a large life changing win?
    It's just something people say, almost as if they're expected to say it as they've heard it themselves from previous winners. Like those who say they won't stop going into work/we'll stay in the house we've always lived in etc. It's all bollocks of course. Any lotto win/sudden large windfall is life changing, when it's tens of millions it's massively life changing. If it had been a single winner of that kinda cash their lives would change almost unrecognisably.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they got 175 mill, if they were to give a grand to each household in the country wouldn't it be a lovely gesture

they'd still have plenty left over (mind you i didn't do the maths)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Say 1 million households - 175 euro to each household. All money gone.
    Not a good plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

but, its the thought that counts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

fryup wrote: »
    they got 175 mill, if they were to give a grand to each household in the country wouldn't it be a lovely gesture

As usual. The homeless get screwed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The win won't change their lives. 2 of the family calling in sick to work yesterday. Maybe they have a habit of sick leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You have to laugh though, apparently, the family syndicate are all retired and say they don't want the win to change their lives! Why do the feckin thing then? :confused:

This, I don't understand. Apparently, they are not short of a few quid (one of them won e500,000 according to someone on here). As a syndicate, they're probably putting in a 100 euro a week, at least, into the Euromilions. No one who could really do with that money could ever afford to spend that amount on the Lotto.

There is something about the older generation and money. Perhaps it's just about securing the future for their children etc. I find it odd in any case. I remember Pat Kenny telling a story of how an older person on his show won a car and he asked them did they drive. They said 'no' and he asked why did they enter the prize draw? They replied, 'because I never win anything'! Bizarre.

Maybe, it's just old fashioned greed. You hear about people buying up the scratch cards and appearing on Winning Streak several times or those folk who spent a small fortune on phone numbers trying to get on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. That greed and their success then breeds jealously in those who wonder 'why not me?'. Well, go spend some money on tickets and phone numbers and see where you end up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭keano25

What about the lady that didn't want the toy show tickets but wanted the 10k..

https://youtu.be/kVf7nDFzkUo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

NIMAN wrote: »
    I always thought a sum of money this large could ruin a family for generations.

Imagine if a couple with teenage kids won that.

Kids might switch off, forget about education and ever working.

And with the amount, their kids could do same and so on.

I just said the exact same thing this morning.
    It would need to be managed very carefully from the kids point of view. Kids who have been born into very wealthy families have grown up in that environment, a normal 9-5 family with a couple of teenagers or whatever suddenly fining themselves with insane amounts of money is an entirely different proposition.
    I'm not saying every family would fall asunder, but it has the potential to screw up future generations.
    I honestly think its far too much money and the jackpot should be broken into lots of smaller amounts, 1/2 million for example. That is a far more manageable sum and would make a positive difference of lots of peoples lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

W123-80's wrote: »
    I honestly think its far too much money and the jackpot should be broken into lots of smaller amounts, 1/2 million for example. That is a far more manageable sum and would make a positive difference of lots of peoples lives.

People would just play their national lotteries.

Here's a question to which my poor brain can't figure out the answer. For arguments sake say the general divorce rate in the UK is 4 in 10, 40 out of every 100 marriages. There is a claim that where a husband or wife wins big on the Lottery, that makes a divorce 3 to 4 times more likely than non winners.

Call it 4. How many Lottery winner marriages out of 100 end in divorce?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

FFS very few of these syndicate wins are actual syndicate wins. One family member wins the jackpot. They plan on sharing it with the family and don’t want to pay tax on it so they say it’s a syndicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

idle wrote: »
    FFS very few of these syndicate wins are actual syndicate wins. One family member wins the jackpot. They plan on sharing it with the family and don’t want to pay tax on it so they say it’s a syndicate.

Ooooh, note to self for future reference!!!!

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well his point was it's significantly higher among large lotto winners. Three or four times higher IIRC. The number who go broke in a few years after winning the "smaller" sums of a few millions is quite high too. While a million sounds like and is a lot of money and if you're frugal and can manage money it would make a big difference in the average life, but if you go even slightly nuts and can't manage money you could piss through it remarkably easily. I know someone who out of the blue inherited around three mill from an externally "poor" bachelor uncle and it was pretty much gone after about five years with little to show for it.

It's just something people say, almost as if they're expected to say it as they've heard it themselves from previous winners. Like those who say they won't stop going into work/we'll stay in the house we've always lived in etc. It's all bollocks of course. Any lotto win/sudden large windfall is life changing, when it's tens of millions it's massively life changing. If it had been a single winner of that kinda cash their lives would change almost unrecognisably.

Is it possible it was 3% to 4% higher, not 300% to 400%? 3% is the reported experience in America.

I have faith in human nature to be able to deal with getting a lot of money. Most people will suffer worse traumas in a lifetime.

DOES WINNING CHANGE YOU?
    How common is divorce among lottery winners?
    Money is one of the most common topics couples fight about, but when it comes to the lottery, it actually seems to hold marriages together. The divorce rate post-winning increases only marginally by 3%.

Not sure if anyone has pointed it out in this thread yet but I've linked the sources in After Hours before:

Chances of winning Euromillions = 140,000,000 to 1

Chances of being struck by lightning: 300,000 to 1.

Yet people still buy tickets for this racket. These, and many other relevant odds for other gambling products, should be publicised on ads for lottery products. The statistical realities of what the pushers of this escapism are selling should be on each of their products.

With those odds, it really is a tax on stupidity. I hope no atheist is hypocritical enough to buy a ticket/ believe they could possibly win. In terms of fanciful odds, to hope in such a win must be up there with those people who hope that a divine god exists.

Not sure if anyone has pointed it out in this thread yet but I've linked the sources in After Hours before:

Yet people still buy tickets for this racket. These, and many other relevant odds for other gambling products, should be publicised on ads for lottery products. The statistical realities of what the pushers of this escapism are selling should be on each of their products.

With those odds, it really is a tax on stupidity. I hope no atheist is hypocritical enough to buy a ticket/ believe they could possibly win. In terms of fanciful odds, to hope in such a win must be up there with those people who hope that a divine god exists.

You can be very sure that it has been pointed out ad nauseam. There is rarely an original thought hereabouts.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53689267

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Fuaranach is right. It is the lowest form of escapism too. This chase for the huge amount of greasy money. Anybody could win the lotto next week and still be dead a few weeks after through some disease or just some form of actual daily existence of having to live just like anyone else. Being a multi-millionaire won't save you from an accident or nature itself. If I won that crazy amount of money through basically nothing, I know well I'd be dead not long after it. I'd go cracked. And I would. If you've got your health and the ability to stay grounded and just enjoy the little things like enjoying your health and just being able to learn and discover things, well then, congratulations! Because you just won the lotto.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ah but think of all the good causes the Lotto/Euromillions supports - otherwise the State might have to spend some of its dosh where it should be spent.

I had an accident 6 months ago which resulted in a broken bone. On balance I would have preferred to win the Lotto.

• Advertisement
Advertisement