Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did Gemma O Doherty go batshyt crazy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The main reason parents choose to send their child to a Catholic school, or a faith school in general, is simply because they have better reputations than other schools. This, together with the child learning the same value as the rest of his/her family. We need to put out child's education ahead of our personal grudges.

Know plenty of well educate educated people with well educated children attending Educate Together schools. Also the reality is Catholic schools don't teach better as a result of indoctrination and the members of the clergy have no involvement outside of Confirmation and Communion, maybe even an annual mass. So no actual tangible benefit because they're Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The problen with faith school teachings is they pick and choose which parts of their faith to teach.

When they teach the bible its all sweetness and light, they somehow skip over the parts about rape/slavery/murder.

Less of the moral relativism, they should have removed the colored chalk from your school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The problen with faith school teachings is they pick and choose which parts of their faith to teach.

When they teach the bible its all sweetness and light, they somehow skip over the parts about rape/slavery/murder.

If you like the Bible, you are going to love the Koran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,647 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If you like the Bible, you are going to love the Koran.

Read both many years ago, interesting stories but thats all they are. Fairytales that have been taken too seriously over centuries to the point people will kill because of whats written.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

No, most parents choose them because there are no other options.

Now, I'll ask the question once more: In light of the physical, sexual, and emotional abuse of children the Catholic Church has been responsible for across many generations, what good reason could there possibly be to allow them to continue controlling education?

Because parents would rather have their children brought up in a Catholic ethos than a LGBT one. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is. I don't see people marching in the street to kick religion out of schools. It's just not a big deal is it?

Read both many years ago, interesting stories but thats all they are. Fairytales that have been taken too seriously over centuries to the point people will kill because of whats written.

The major difference is that the Christian Churches have reformed many times over a 2000 year period but where Islam is still struggling to reform once as heretic are burned. See Sarah Radwan from Cork who offered 12 pink tulips to Shiek Halawa and was taken outside and had the sugar kicked out of her.

No, most parents choose them because there are no other options.

Now, I'll ask the question once more: In light of the physical, sexual, and emotional abuse of children the Catholic Church has been responsible for across many generations, what good reason could there possibly be to allow them to continue controlling education?

Well you can gather your own community, purchase land, build a school and train teachers. Then you can have your own school. Not as simple as it sounds, is it?

Remember Schools werent built by the church they were built by parishes and communities that built them together.

Well you can gather your own community, purchase land, build a school and train teachers. Then you can have your own school. Not as simple as it sounds, is it?

Remember Schools werent built by the church they were built by parishes and communities that built them together.

Parents already have the choice between faith and non-faith schools. The problem they have is that the non-faith school isn't on their doorstep. It'll require actual effort to send their kids there. The sense of entitlement is laughable. And they think Gemma is crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Because parents would rather have their children brought up in a Catholic ethos than a LGBT one. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is. I don't see people marching in the street to kick religion out of schools. It's just not a big deal is it?

We've all seen plenty of marches. Not many people marching to keep a dying religion in schools at taxpayers expense though.

image.jpg

gfc_banner-2500x900.jpg

CmcMQGbW8AA-7YC.jpg

What all this has to do with nutters telling us about the dangers of communist unicorns I don't know.

Local tech I know, accepts all faiths and none. Accepts all comers.

Falling apart enrollment wise. People rather travel 10/15km to the more respectable religious secondaries in a bigger town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,647 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The major difference is that the Christian Churches have reformed many times over a 2000 year period but where Islam is still struggling to reform once as heretic are burned. See Sarah Radwan from Cork who offered 12 pink tulips to Shiek Halawa and was taken outside and had the sugar kicked out of her.

Ask how many people had ****e kicked out of them (and worse) by priests/nuns/christian brothers not to many years ago, the answers may surprise you.

Im not attacking Christianity and im not defending islam, all religions are pure sh/te to me and are the cause for most of the suffering and death in the world as far as im concernes.

Ask how many people had ****e kicked out of them (and worse) by priests/nuns/christian brothers not to many years ago, the answers may surprise you.

Im not attacking Christianity and im not defending islam, all religions are pure sh/te to me and are the cause for most of the suffering and death in the world as far as im concernes.

I think it would be unfair to compare the severest Christian Society with any country with a Sharia based legal system.

If you are looking for a communist Utopia, that crap doesnt exist either with a good old purge and a being ruled with an Iron fist

Local tech I know, accepts all faiths and none. Accepts all comers.

Falling apart enrollment wise. People rather travel 10/15km to the more respectable religious secondaries in a bigger town.

Christ on a bike dont go there with the Technical schools. They are filled with perpetual no hopers, prospective meat factory technicians and people too poor to afford the Bus ride to the next real school. I know because I went to one of them. They are usually filled with teachers that are "political" appointments because no other school would have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭aloneforever99

You must have missed the referendum where 70% of Irish people in everywhere but the ar$ehole of Roscommon endorsed LGBT rights. Meanwhile 50% of marriages now take place outside of the church, down from 90% a generation ago, and most people under 50 don't go near a church outside of weddings and funerals.

So where exactly are you getting this idea that people prefer a Catholic ethos? 1950 called, it wants its opinions back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Today's update. We'll have to look under our beds for the unicorns now! :) Btw, on that FB post, there has been about 20 "haha" smiley reacts from "her followers" which is maybe a positive sign. But still around 50 loo-la's still "Like" it. :(

474128.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Parents already have the choice between faith and non-faith schools. The problem they have is that the non-faith school isn't on their doorstep. It'll require actual effort to send their kids there. The sense of entitlement is laughable. And they think Gemma is crazy?

Not on their doorstep, not on their bus route, not even in their postal district. In many cases, not even in their county. The multi-denominational schools that exist are vastly oversubscribed.

90% of schools are Catholic. Not just Christian, but specifically RC (because apparently there's an important difference between bread just being a symbol and actual flesh that the Proddies don't get. This is an important difference, apparently, and we must keep these children segregated). 96% of achools are Christian.

Only 79% of the population are (nominally) Catholic (Catholics are obliged to do things like go to mass weekly - the empty churches would indicate it's nominal for most of that 79%).

Expecting the rest of us to pay for your kids *and ours* to be indoctrinated in Catholic schools that we have to pay for - yes, the sense of entitlement is indeed laughable!

Not on their doorstep, not on their bus route, not even in their postal district. In many cases, not even in their county. The multi-denominational schools that exist are vastly oversubscribed.

90% of schools are Catholic. Not just Christian, but specifically RC (because apparently there's an important difference between bread just being a symbol and actual flesh that the Proddies don't get. This is an important difference, apparently, and we must keep these children segregated). 96% of achools are Christian.

Only 79% of the population are (nominally) Catholic (Catholics are obliged to do things like go to mass weekly - the empty churches would indicate it's nominal for most of that 79%).

Expecting the rest of us to pay for your kids *and ours* to be indoctrinated in Catholic schools that we have to pay for - yes, the sense of entitlement is indeed laughable!

So because 3-4% of the population are gay, their values should take precedence over 79% of the population? Who do they think they are?

So because 3-4% of the population are gay, their values should take precedence over 79% of the population? Who do they think they are?

If you watched HollyOaks 20% of the populations is LGBTQP according to it.

Mod-Banned

That money given to the school is given to every child on a headage payment. We have to pay for all childrens education because they will be paying our pension in a few years. You wouldnt want to be in a society where you have demoralised adults without education, those people usually turn to crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

Or maybe some people would rather their kids do more maths/science and geography , the things that we know actually exist , which help us everyday .
    Are you aware of how much time a primary teacher is expected to dedicate to religion each week ? It's a scandal , luckily many teachers see sense and use their time better .

That money given to the school is given to every child on a headage payment. We have to pay for all childrens education because they will be paying our pension in a few years. You wouldnt want to be in a society where you have demoralised adults without education, those people usually turn to crime.
    as if it's a choice between sending someone to Belvo or Clongowes, or else towards a life of crime!

Belvedere and Clongowes are absolutely no impediment to a life of crime, as we well know.

You might want to check your thinking.

Says the one who could not even reply to my post. As if I am surprised.

Except the LGBT community aren't entirely separate to the rest of society. Increased mental health issues and suicide negatively affects everyone, particularly with teenagers. Increased supports etc (including sex Ed) for LGBT students directly lowers those rates. You'll also find most parents are fine with this. Not a great reflection upon you that I'm reduced to arguing this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A lot of God fearing people following her. I do enjoy seeing the angry religious nutters lurching further right in a pathetic attempt to keep their barbaric prehistoric beliefs in public view.

Anything rather than admitting its all over for the church. Sheeples have woken up!

Hi SoundsRight, you seem to be missing some of the posts where I'm making logical, reasonable points as you're not replying to them.

Here are the two main ones I'd like you to address:

1. 70% of people share pro-LGBT values, as seen in the 2015 referendum. Can you acknowledge that?

2. The Roman Catholic Church was responsible for raping, beating and traumatising many generations of Irish children. Don't you think this disqualifies them from controlling our education system going forward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's getting to the point with Gemma where the fun is wearing off and you'd start to be genuinely concerned for her in the same way you would someone like Sinead O'Connor.

John Waters has a lot to answer for.

2. The Roman Catholic Church was responsible for raping, beating and traumatising many generations of Irish children. Don't you think this disqualifies them from controlling our education system going forward?

To be pedantic, clergy and lay members of the Roman Catholic Church were responsible for raping, beating, traumatising many generations of Irish children - not to mention 796 children in a septic tank in Tuam, thousands of illegal adoptions without consent, etc.

The Roman Catholic Church, the institution, just created a society where that was possible, facilitated it, covered it up whenever it was discovered, hindered or blocked investigations, withheld information, and moved perpetrators around so they could continue their abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

There's a simple and very obvious answer to this 'dilemma'

Get the churches out of the schools we pay for, let them run their own schools without taxpayer funding if they want.

Listen, I'm no mad catholic/christian defender but my misses is a teacher in a catholic school and she often says the school would be screwed without Catholic funding. She's told me of times that the school has looked for funding for various things from the department, found it wasn't there and the parish board stepped in and provided funding.

That in no way is to defend the evils perpurtrated in schools by priests and nuns but I just had to point that out.

Hi SoundsRight, you seem to be missing some of the posts where I'm making logical, reasonable points as you're not replying to them.

Here are the two main ones I'd like you to address:

1. 70% of people share pro-LGBT values, as seen in the 2015 referendum. Can you acknowledge that?

1. One of the fundamental teachings of Christ is to love thy neighbour. That was the reading I took from the gay marriage referendum. It wasn't a show of support for pro-LGBT values, whatever they are.

2. Who is better placed to run Catholic schools than the Catholic church? Would be, as the thread title references, batsh*t crazy to have Catholic children educated with no knowledge of their culture. Worse still, learning every other culture but their own.

1. One of the fundamental teachings of Christ is to love thy neighbour. That was the reading I took from the gay marriage referendum. It wasn't a show of support for pro-LGBT values, whatever they are.

2. Who is better placed to run Catholic schools than the Catholic church? Would be, as the thread title references, batsh*t crazy to have Catholic children educated with no knowledge of their culture. Worse still, learning every other culture but their own.

Eh, religious orgs campaigned against passing it. It had everything to do with being pro the LGBT community...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,527 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You should tell that to the religious group that opposed the referendum. They made up the majority of the opponents.

Do you think that is what happens in non-faith schools? that they teach everything but catholicism? Do you have any evidence for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

2. Who is better placed to run Catholic schools than the Catholic church? Would be, as the thread title references, batsh*t crazy to have Catholic children educated with no knowledge of their culture.

I obtained a largish quantity of consecrated hosts for a series of science experiments some years ago.

During this time I had cause to talk with quite a number of Catholics about it and what they believed, and what their church believed, about that haunted bread.

They did not know.

They fell into a mix of categories. Mostly into three. Those who believed a real actual physical change happened in the biscuit. Those that believed a spiritual change happened there only, but conveniently undetectable in any way. And those that believed that no change at all occurred, of any type, that the ritual was purely symbolic.

This was just what THEY believed. When asked what the Actual Church Teachings were on the matter.... not one single one of them had the first foggiest notion of it.

And you want to ask us who would run a Catholic School better than the Church? Bloody ANYBODY would be my answer. You could have two people beating the crap out of each other while dressed as Itchy and Scratchy singing songs about Catholic Dogma that would do better jobs at teaching this stuff than the teachers of a single Irish person I have ever brought the matter up with.

The quantity of Irish people who appear to have any notion what Catholic Doctrine and Teachings and Positions are on pretty much any aspect of the faith they happily tell the census they hold........ even the core aspects of it that differentiates them from others like the Protestants........... appears to be near Zero.

It seems access to children, rather than access to their education, is more a motivation for a few of these people. Those that took the latin phrase for No Child Left Behind and translated it too literally into No Childs Behind Left. From paddling to pederasty over the years. If that's YOUR "culture" that's great for you I am sure. But it is not the culture of anyone I know, associate with, move in circles with, or have actually met. At best our Church related history in Ireland is something the people I meet are between embarrassed about and outright apologetic for.

But even then history is one thing, modernity is another. If the best one can do to defend religious education is point out it might have been historically worth then I am still waiting to have my question answered. What good, utility, use or justification has it got NOW today? If we are going to lie to children and sell them a fairy tale, can we justify that? Or have you, unique in the world of theists, somehow finally managed to come up with the FIRST shred of argument, evidence, data or reasoning that suggests there may actually be a god there? If so, don't hold back. Let us all know what that is. Because right now the Lizard People Elite New World Order stuff is on a par for credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,318 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If you watched HollyOaks 20% of the populations is LGBTQP according to it.
    I dont know many people that do....
    But where are you getting the 20% figure from.
    Are you just making it up?

Going by wikipedia there has been approx 43 characters classified as LGBT+.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_characters_in_soap_operas#Hollyoaks
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hollyoaks_characters
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_past_Hollyoaks_characters

So roughly what 600 characters+ (probably more)...so thats roughly 7% vaguely LGBT+.

Modern Family have 2 main characters who are gay out of 12....a whole 16%!!!!
    Wont someone please think of the children!!!!

I obtained a largish quantity of consecrated hosts for a series of science experiments some years ago.

During this time I had cause to talk with quite a number of Catholics about it and what they believed, and what their church believed, about that haunted bread.

They did not know.

They fell into a mix of categories. Mostly into three. Those who believed a real actual physical change happened in the biscuit. Those that believed a spiritual change happened there only, but conveniently undetectable in any way. And those that believed that no change at all occurred, of any type, that the ritual was purely symbolic.

This was just what THEY believed. When asked what the Actual Church Teachings were on the matter.... not one single one of them had the first foggiest notion of it.

So the second two groups thought they were catholic but really weren't.

You *still* haven't answered my question. Don't you think generations of facilitating and covering up physical, sexual and emotional abuse disqualifies the RC from controlling education?

Catholic children are more than able to learn about their faith from their parents, extended family, the clergy, mass, Sunday school. There's no logical reason why their faith would be formed at school, where they go to learn languages and math and science.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

So the second two groups thought they were catholic but really weren't.

As Micheal Nugent said on Radio once....at this stage... most Catholics are functionally protestant. Most Protestants functionality atheist.

You should tell that to the religious group that opposed the referendum. They made up the majority of the opponents.

Do you think that is what happens in non-faith schools? that they teach everything but catholicism? Do you have any evidence for that?

I'm waiting for him to explain the even more successful repeal campaign as religious decency at play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,320 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

As Micheal Nugent said on Radio once....at this stage... most Catholics are functionally protestant. Most Protestants functionality atheist.

This is a report by the catholic bishops and it's based on the results of an EU survey.

https://www.catholicbishops.ie/wp-content/uploads/images/stories/cco_publications/researchanddevelopment/evs_4th_wave_report.pdf

There's some amazing stats in it. From page 13, only 79% of catholics believe in life after death. Just less than 90% believe in God. And when you break that figure down only 57% of catholics believe in the catholic conception of god. The rest believe in some sort of "life force" or don't know what they believe.

I agree with what you posted earlier (I think it was you), I once explained transubstantiation to a catholic and why it was the way it is, and he was amazed. He had no idea that was what he "believed"

Grayson wrote: »
    This is a report by the catholic bishops and it's based on the results of an EU survey.

https://www.catholicbishops.ie/wp-content/uploads/images/stories/cco_publications/researchanddevelopment/evs_4th_wave_report.pdf

There's some amazing stats in it. From page 13, only 79% of catholics believe in life after death. Just less than 90% believe in God. And when you break that figure down only 57% of catholics believe in the catholic conception of god. The rest believe in some sort of "life force" or don't know what they believe.

I agree with what you posted earlier (I think it was you), I once explained transubstantiation to a catholic and why it was the way it is, and he was amazed. He had no idea that was what he "believed"

In fairness transustantiation is pretty whacky stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's getting to the point with Gemma where the fun is wearing off and you'd start to be genuinely concerned for her in the same way you would someone like Sinead O'Connor.

John Waters has a lot to answer for.

Why does Gemma warrant concern but Waters get condemned?

• Advertisement

He's right. The problem, though, is most of the former group will still stick "Catholic" on the census form, because reasons... "Sure didn't they educate me." "Ah, it's tradition, it's good to have it there to fall back on." "Well, I wouldn't be into the religion that much, but it's how I was brought up." "Sure how else would we have baptisms and weddings and funerals?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Alright, I'll bite.

I'm a member of the LGBTQ community. I'll tell you what my values are.

1. Be sound.

OH LOOK WE'RE DONE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

Gemma is doing quite well. Last night's show has almost 9k views already. Over 1k live viewers seems to be the norm for her right now. If in 6 or so months she can get 3k live viewers per show that will be excellent progress.

YouTube livestreamers tend to burn out quite quickly - with an early peak in viewers followed by a crash so it will be interesting to see if she can keep the momentum going.
    There's also a churn and burn effect whereby viewers quickly move from one livestreamer to the next and in an increasingly saturated market if Gemma repeats the same points in every show people may well tire of it and move on.
    Personally I hope she succeeds.

Gemma is doing quite well. Last night's show has almost 9k views already. Over 1k live viewers seems to be the norm for her right now. If in 6 or so months she can get 3k live viewers per show that will be excellent progress.

YouTube livestreamers tend to burn out quite quickly - with an early peak in viewers followed by a crash so it will be interesting to see if she can keep the momentum going.
    There's also a churn and burn effect whereby viewers quickly move from one livestreamer to the next and in an increasingly saturated market if Gemma repeats the same points in every show people may well tire of it and move on.

LOL. 9K views is "doing well". There are kids livestreaming fortnite that get multiples of that.

Succeeds in what exactly?
    Taking down unicorns?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Having gone through the educational system, I would have religion as the most important subject thought in schools. You can see it a lot in today's society where people have lost that spiritual connection with God. People feel unfulfilled, seeking happiness in money, alcohol, and drugs. People feel more anxious, depressed and even suicidal than previous generations because people have stopped putting their trust in God.

As this world is controlled by a luciferian worshipping illuminati, we will continue to see Christian values attacked and more people feeling lost and unhappy resulting in more failed relationships and reliance on negative alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,530 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Listen, I'm no mad catholic/christian defender but my misses is a teacher in a catholic school and she often says the school would be screwed without Catholic funding. She's told me of times that the school has looked for funding for various things from the department, found it wasn't there and the parish board stepped in and provided funding.

I'd love to know which parish has cash to give discretionary funding to schools these days, most of them can barely heat and maintain their churches, have to have special collections to do any big maintenance job on a church.

All schools have to raise additional funding, usually this is done through "voluntary" contributions and PTA fundraising events etc.

So either the parents pay up on the church collection plate or they pay up to the school fundraiser or "voluntary" contribution. It's still the parents paying...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

At what?

Having gone through the educational system, I would have religion as the most important subject thought in schools. You can see it a lot in today's society where people have lost that spiritual connection with God. People feel unfulfilled, seeking happiness in money, alcohol, and drugs. People feel more anxious, depressed and even suicidal than previous generations because people have stopped putting their trust in God.

As this world is controlled by a luciferian worshipping illuminati, we will continue to see Christian values attacked and more people feeling lost and unhappy resulting in more failed relationships and reliance on negative alternatives.
    To each their own I suppose....perhaps religion helps people with some of those issues. I think a lot of people still have a degree of belief in a higher power but have little to no faith in the RC church and others, lets be honest a lot of their behaviour hasnt been exactly christian like.

But I would take ICT from my point of view....

That 2nd paragraph has gone full tinfoil hat brigade.....
    but I for one welcome our new luciferian worshipping overlords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

It would seem that John Waters himself is walking amongst us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement