Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Loughc wrote: »
    For the experience, movies are meant to be viewed on the big screen and with a proper sound system.

I went in December when the cinemas re-opened briefly and I can tell you it was a much more safer experience than going to a supermarket.

No offence, but are you an epidemiologist? If not, how would you know?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

MJohnston wrote: »
    No offence, but are you an epidemiologist? If not, how would you know?

I didn't have someone cough in my face in the cinema and people were spaced out.

In supermarkets I've had people couch in my face and lean over me to reach for something on a shelf above me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Any decision taken during the pandemic is at someone's own peril.

But having been to restaurants, shops and the cinema when it was 'safe' to do so, I would 100% say I felt safer and more comfortable in a cinema than any other setting. The environment is far more controlled, and the number of people strictly and physically limited.

None of this is to say I'd 'urge' people to go: everyone has their own circumstances and risk tolerance, and that's perfectly fair and reasonable. I personally wasn't comfortable heading to the cinema in the week or two before Christmas simply because the infection rate was clearly climbing (whereas I went a few times earlier in December without hesitation).

But I'd be an advocate for allowing cinemas, theatres, museums etc open (socially distant) over restaurants and pubs based on my own experiences so far. Only when the situation is far more under control than it is now, of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness, the answer to all that isn't "well they're getting away with it so everyone should" but for responsible industries and people to keep being responsible.

Of course it would help if the government would extend more financial support to businesses like cinemas to voluntarily stay closed, even when they're not fully restricted from opening.

I'm not proposing abandoning rules, I'm saying that when they were open, businesses were usually making great strides and efforts to be both safe - and seen to be safe. They still are, the few outlets that can remain open. I feel sorry for all those cafés, restaurants, museums, cinema and whatnot who went to great lengths to ensure their business was safe for customers - only to have to close because (and I admit I'm taking a WILD generalised swing here) various people across the country took the píss with parties, funerals and so on.

I was quite open about being uncomfortable regarding a trip to cinemas when they were last open, but on reflection - and seeing how society overall trended since then - I realise professional establishments have arguably taken this pandemic more seriously than (some) members of the public. At this point I probably could be persuaded to take a spin to the cinema, certainly for something I'd be keen to actually see (like Dune, basically the big blockbuster on my personal horizon)

Loughc wrote: »
    I didn't have someone cough in my face in the cinema and people were spaced out.

In supermarkets I've had people couch in my face and lean over me to reach for something on a shelf above me.

Okay, but neither of those things are endemic to supermarkets, they're just bad incidents that you personally have experienced.

I dunno, it feels very dangerous for people to be proclaiming cinemas safe, just because they feel safer to laypeople like us than other activities. Safer does not mean safe.

While supermarkets might involve more human contact, with more idiots, they're also extremely well ventilated, and you're in one for about 30 minutes at most. You also can see who is not wearing a mask properly and avoid them entirely. In a cinema, people are taking off their masks entirely to eat or drink, talk and laugh or whatever. And they're there for at least 90 minutes, if not longer. That's hugely risky, no matter how safe it might feel.

There's also the question of necessity of risk — the reason supermarkets stay open is because society would not function without them. And if they're unsafe, even with the measures in place, well unfortunately that's a necessary risk because we need food and groceries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Been to see Tenet and Wonder Women during the pandemic and it was the most enjoyable experience I have had since March and not because I enjoyed either film that much, I just felt normal again if only for a few hours.

My local cinema only opened in December 2019 and it was the first cinema in our town I just hope it survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Watching films at home, just isn't the same as watching at the cinema. There are too many little real life distractions that prevent me from truly turning off when at home.

I haven't been to the cinema since the pandemic began, but as soon as I am vaccinated, I plan to make a point of visiting the cinema more often. I'd hate for them to go away as there's few places where I'm more content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Been to see Tenet and Wonder Women during the pandemic and it was the most enjoyable experience I have had since March and not because I enjoyed either film that much, I just felt normal again if only for a few hours.

My local cinema only opened in December 2019 and it was the first cinema in our town I just hope it survives.
    I went to Tenet in the cinema back when numbers were quite low. I don't think anyone was eating or drinking, but I don't remember whether that was requested or spontaneous. There were very few of us, widely spaced, masked throughout in a huge room. I can't comment on ventilation with any certainty, but it seems to me that the space is normally ventilated for a much larger number of people. On the whole, I'd be surprised if the risk was much higher than a supermarket trip. In addition to the other things mentioned by previous posters, you're touching things constantly in a supermarket. Of course, a supermarket is much more necessary than a cinema. There's a reason I only went to watch one movie since March. I have only eaten out once in that time-frame too, and outdoors at that, so I'm pretty risk-adverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

The latest issue of Empire is a collaboration with Edgar Wright on a celebration of cinema of sorts; Wright managed to get some big names to contribute their favourite moments at the big screen over the years - he even made contact with Kevin Feige who obliged! I'm working my way through it; it's an enjoyable read and makes me miss the cinema all the more :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Shred wrote: »
    The latest issue of Empire is a collaboration with Edgar Wright on a celebration of cinema of sorts; Wright managed to get some big names to contribute their favourite moments at the big screen over the years - he even made contact with Kevin Feige who obliged! I'm working my way through it; it's an enjoyable read and makes me miss the cinema all the more :(

Literally as soon as cinema reopen I’m going. Don’t care what’s on I just want that big screen experience you can only get in the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

It’s literally the first thing I’m doing when vaccinated.

I’ve resorted to watching films in a virtual cinema on my VR headset, which surprisingly enough is actually kinda awesome. But I can’t wait to meet with some friends and go see a big blockbuster, followed by some Eddie rockets afterwards.

kerplun k wrote: »
    It’s literally the first thing I’m doing when vaccinated.

I’ve resorted to watching films in a virtual cinema on my VR headset, which surprisingly enough is actually kinda awesome. But I can’t wait to meet with some friends and go see a big blockbuster, followed by some Eddie rockets afterwards.

I wish it was easier to buy films to watch on VR, because it’s a really immersive way to watch them. It actually kind of recreates the cinema feeling very well!

I wouldn’t mind some social watching features too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I wish it was easier to buy films to watch on VR, because it’s a really immersive way to watch them. It actually kind of recreates the cinema feeling very well!

I love the idea of watching movies in a headset to be immersed in it, but I'm going to need some sort of proximity alarm, Lying/sitting there oblivious to everything going on around you... I'd just be on edge all the time that someone's gonna creep up on me.

Mind you, if the specifications to Apple's forthcoming mixed reality headset are anything to go by, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Studio quality headphones & twin 8k screens with a dozen cameras to display "the outside". I can only imagine that immersive movie watching will be one of the leading features of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

+1. First thing im doing when this lockdown ends is to hit the cinema. Dont care what's playing, I'm going. I miss it so much, and during the previous lockdown I had some really great experiences at the movies. Went to see The greatest showman with a few friends who'd never even heard of it and they absolutely loved it. Hopefully when cinemas reopen this time it'll be for good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I’d love nothing more than spending too many hours in the cinema in early March (DIFF 2020 being the last ‘normal’ event I attended), a silver lining is that this year’s Dublin film festival is accessible to the whole country online :)

https://www.diff.ie/

I actually do hope festivals maintain an online presence of some description in the future alongside the main theatrical strand. Making films more widely accessible is only a good thing, even if I’ll always prefer to be watching on a big screen.

True, a lot of the content isn’t available in Ireland. There’s tons of private channels on Bigscreen, but can be a bit random.

My workaround involves buying stuff through the official channels, Sky store, iTunes etc, then acquiring a DRM free version through your preferred channels, stick the files on a media server with a decent network setup and watch away.

I have a private screening of Tenet scheduled with my brother on Saturday. It’s my first time hosting something, so will see how that goes. Big bucket of popcorn, and large coke at the ready to mimic the cinema experience. Sad, I know, but feck it.

santana75 wrote: »
    +1. First thing im doing when this lockdown ends is to hit the cinema. Dont care what's playing, I'm going. I miss it so much, and during the previous lockdown I had some really great experiences at the movies. Went to see The greatest showman with a few friends who'd never even heard of it and they absolutely loved it. Hopefully when cinemas reopen this time it'll be for good.

Seen this at the Stella. Bottle of wine, feet up, and a big bowl of nachos, everyone signing along, unreal. To this this day I still think I enjoyed the experience more than the actual film :D

What are the chances of cinemas opening by 5th March?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Here in Ireland? Zero to none I'd speculate: the government don't seem especially stoked to restart anything beyond necessities like schools or construction. I doubt if even cafés or restaurants open again, let alone cinemas.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Zero I’d imagine. Last year there was a lot of air time given to groups representing publicans, restaurateurs, hospitality in general about how they should be allowed open or stay open (depending on the time of the year). Not a peep from them at the moment...or there is but the media are ignoring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Zero I’d imagine. Last year there was a lot of air time given to groups representing publicans, restaurateurs, hospitality in general about how they should be allowed open or stay open (depending on the time of the year). Not a peep from them at the moment...or there is but the media are ignoring them.
    I'd guess that's in store for March-May, as we step down from level 5, vaccinations progress, and they all start thinking about the summer season.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

autumn i reckon

So is it April 5th for cinemas to open again or will it be may?

Touch of desperation at this stage Santana ;) I'd put it to June myself at the earliest; the narrative seems to imply outdoor and general distance restrictions will be first lifted in April; while after the utter debacle of Christma, I suspect Martin & co. are going to drag this out as much as possible.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Touch of desperation at this stage Santana ;) I'd put it to June myself at the earliest; the narrative seems to imply outdoor and general distance restrictions will be first lifted in April; while after the utter debacle of Christma, I suspect Martin & co. are going to drag this out as much as possible.

More than a touch of desperation at this stage!!!! Its frustrating because cinemas are never really mentioned so its difficult to ascertain when they might open again. I grow weary of Netflix and Amazon prime......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Apparently Black Widow is getting a cinema release in May.

Marvel is usually worldwide release.

They can release whatever films they want in May, but nobody in Ireland’s going to see it if cinemas aren’t legally allowed open. I’d say we’re looking at May at the very, very earliest, but more likely mid-summer.

NPHET and the Government will determine when we’ll get to go see something on the big screen again, not Marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I would say Late April to May at the earliest and that is only if cases continue to fall. So let's hope they do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

They can release whatever films they want in May, but nobody in Ireland’s going to see it if cinemas aren’t legally allowed open. I’d say we’re looking at May at the very, very earliest, but more likely mid-summer.

NPHET and the Government will determine when we’ll get to go see something on the big screen again, not Marvel.

I didn’t say Marvel decide when cinemas re-open.

I said Black Widow is due out in May and is most likely a worldwide release.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    I would say Late April to May at the earliest and that is only if cases continue to fall. So let's hope they do.

I would say, given the noises we're hearing, that indoor activities like dining, bars, cinemas, etc will not reopen until we're near herd immunity through vaccines. The UK variant is keeping the R number too close to 1, it looks like.

Advertisement