Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

So for major films that are being newly released, well have A Quiet Place part 2, F9 and Black Widow in the first month. It's not bad along with the re-releases and Oscar winning films that they'll likely show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm assuming you still have to wear a face mask when they open?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The general rule to date has been you need a face mask when moving around the premises, but you can take it off if you want when seated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The general rule to date has been you need a face mask when moving around the premises, but you can take it off if you want when seated.

I could live with that. Popcorn is a big part of the cinema experience for me

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I could live with that. Popcorn is a big part of the cinema experience for me

Ya, it was face mask in the lobby and on your way to seat/bathroom. There was none when sitting in your seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

We all had Covid. I can't wait to get back out to the cinema especially for my daughter with Special Needs who has been locked up for a year now! She loves the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

I wonder will cinemas actually open on the 7th of june though. I hope this is enough time for them to get prepped and ready to roll, might take some longer than others to get going again. Someone mentioned passing cineworld recently and the place looked like an abandoned building.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

santana75 wrote: »
    I wonder will cinemas actually open on the 7th of june though. I hope this is enough time for them to get prepped and ready to roll, might take some longer than others to get going again. Someone mentioned passing cineworld recently and the place looked like an abandoned building.

It was always a bit of a wonder Cineworld persisted in Ireland at all, with its sole outlet in Dublin. I wonder if that was purely down to a 20 or 30 year lease they were locked into for that redeveloped centre on Parnell st, and just had to ride it out. Not like the place was ever that clean or appealing TBH, always the wrong side of shabby at times. Convenient when I was more town based, but the price point Vs the standard was just terrible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Work is actually happening in Cineworld to get the place open again: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/cineworld-dublin-undergoes-works-as-it-plans-june-reopening-1.4575008

It was in quite the rundown state last I passed by, but that might just be the exterior.

But yeah don’t be surprised if a fair few cinemas hold off until a bit later in June. 10 days isn’t a lot of notice to get a programme scheduled, staff arranged etc... I’m sure they were planning away anyway, but still very short notice for a definitive date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my young lad is 16, would a cinema like the Odeon at the Point hire teenagers part time or just for the summer?. I had a quick look on their website but its a pretty clunky corporate one. Is there a best route if so? try find the number of a local manager, HR?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Knowing most cinemas' tendancies, it's entirely possible they'll simply warm up the same popcorn that was in the kiosk when they closed the first time around ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have no problem if the Cinemas do not reopen on the 7th anyway. It's a terrible date it's a Friday and the beginning of a long weekend. I think it either should have been the 3rd or 14th. I will not rush out to see any films anyway untill there is something decent out. I would prefer to have my vaccine first if this useless Government got of there arsses and made sure we got the Vaccines the country had ordered. The UK do not seem to have a problem getting vaccines so why us?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

Lifford Cinema in Donegal were very professional and good during the lockdown. Probably the best cinema I've been to in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Looking on empire website and the amount of releases this year is super sweet, about 1 to 2 films a month that will be great to see in the cinema. Funny these are films we should of already seen over last year and a bit. Really can't wait now. Quiet place 2 I will go see so yeah I would more or less go on opening day. Next year should be good for films as well as films due to come out originally this year will be next year. Wil 2023 be a bad year I wonder as lots of films wouldn't of been made in 2021 and only really starting to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

AMKC wrote: »
    I have no problem if the Cinemas do not reopen on the 7th anyway. It's a terrible date it's a Friday and the beginning of a long weekend. I think it either should have been the 3rd or 14th. I will not rush out to see any films anyway untill there is something decent out. I would prefer to have my vaccine first if this useless Government got of there arsses and made sure we got the Vaccines the country had ordered. The UK do not seem to have a problem getting vaccines so why us?

Not sure if it impacts your opinion but the 7th is a Monday and the end of the long weekend.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'd say most won't require too much to get going. Stock re-orders and staff re-hire will be the main two. Plus I doubt many are going to race to reopen for the 7th with the lack of releases.

Cineworld probably won't reopen until major releases are back on the cards. If they fold I can see Odeon picking up the premises.

Staff rehire be the interesting one. Lots of places that will compete for the same sort of staff have had a head start and then might have people not wanting to come off Pup yet

Ms

dobman88 wrote: »
    Not sure if it impacts your opinion but the 7th is a Monday and the end of the long weekend.

Your right. Don't how I mixed that up. I blame the bang on my head yesterday because I can be so clumsy sometimes.
    Anyway it does not change my opinion. It's a Monday on a long weekend which I hate. Anyway unless there is any big films out like Venome 2 or Bond or Top Gun I will not be risking going to it for a while as much as I would love too

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Looking on empire website and the amount of releases this year is super sweet, about 1 to 2 films a month that will be great to see in the cinema. Funny these are films we should of already seen over last year and a bit. Really can't wait now. Quiet place 2 I will go see so yeah I would more or less go on opening day. Next year should be good for films as well as films due to come out originally this year will be next year. Wil 2023 be a bad year I wonder as lots of films wouldn't of been made in 2021 and only really starting to now?
    Well Paramount have already said the next Star Trek film is due out on June 9 2023. If they can make that or not is another thing but that is one Summer film due for that year anyway

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Well Paramount have already said the next Star Trek film is due out on June 9 2023. If they can make that or not is another thing but that is one Summer film due for that year anyway

Yeah more I hope there is a lot of films in 2023 I think films due out in 2020 pushed to now 2021 and 2021 films into 2022. More with them not being able to film as much might be gaps in films for 2023. Hopefully not but we might feel the effect of lack of big releases then, might be wrong tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

When do ye think Ghostbusters will get a run out?

• Advertisement

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    When do ye think Ghostbusters will get a run out?

12th November in the UK so say same here.

Your right. Don't how I mixed that up. I blame the bang on my head yesterday because I can be so clumsy sometimes.
    Anyway it does not change my opinion. It's a Monday on a long weekend which I hate. Anyway unless there is any big films out like Venome 2 or Bond or Top Gun I will not be risking going to it for a while as much as I would love too

It's not a risk at all though. I went before Christmas and there is so much space between you and anyone else it's almost comical. I don't think even one case has been traced back to a cinema so it has to be one of the safest activities you could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Top Gun is the only film I think I want to see this year

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ms

It's not a risk at all though. I went before Christmas and there is so much space between you and anyone else it's almost comical. I don't think even one case has been traced back to a cinema so it has to be one of the safest activities you could do.

It's not the cinema risk I am worried about it is getting there on public transport.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

Omniplex (Limerick anyway, probably the rest as well) are taking bookings- Monday 7th through Thursday
    Peter Rabbit 2 and A Quiet Place Part II the only two movies listed.

https://omniplex.ie/cinema/limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Totally agree I was in the lighthouse a few times before Christmas it was top notch.
    Screenings pretty quiet, even sold out ones felt empty.
    I will be going back asap

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's not the cinema risk I am worried about it is getting there on public transport.
    Maybe go to an early screening?
    I think public transport is at 50 percent max.

Ms

gmisk wrote: »
    Maybe go to an early screening?
    I think public transport is at 50 percent max.

That is what I do.

Yes public transport is back to 50 per cent.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Niska wrote: »
    Omniplex (Limerick anyway, probably the rest as well) are taking bookings- Monday 7th through Thursday
    Peter Rabbit 2 and A Quiet Place Part II the only two movies listed.

https://omniplex.ie/cinema/limerick

Just checked my local omniplex and A quiet place II is already sold out for Monday, other shows filling up fast aswell. Great to see after a lot of talk about the demise of cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just checked my local omniplex and A quiet place II is already sold out for Monday, other shows filling up fast aswell. Great to see after a lot of talk about the demise of cinema.

To be fair it’s lower capacity so sold out might be 30 tickets

(Not that I think Cinema is dead - or have ever said similar on here)

Advertisement