Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

MJohnston wrote: »
    The UK variant is keeping the R number too close to 1, it looks like.

I would say its people's actions keeping the R number close to 1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

UK govt has announced that cinemas will reopen on 17 May. Assuming that goes ahead, Ireland will follow suit shortly afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

UK govt has announced that cinemas will reopen on 17 May. Assuming that goes ahead, Ireland will follow suit shortly afterward.
    I don't think we're in synch with them at the moment: aren't they way ahead of us on vaccinations? Plus we had a huge third wave, as bad as anywhere. I'd guess cinemas are unlikely before July at the earliest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was about to remark the same; the UK is far ahead with its first doses of vaccinations, I'd be surprised if we mirror their phases given we'll have a smaller percentage of the population vaccinated. I know I'm a bit of a Debby Downer on this thread :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

We are behind at the moment, but the medium/longer term timelines and targets are broadly similar between the UK and Ireland (/EU). 82% of adults getting one dose by end o' June here is the target, and there's some actual, rare optimism that'll be achieved :pac:

Still, I'd say June or July are more likely for cinemas reopening here based on the current level of caution re: reopening. But we'll hopefully have a better idea around the start of April how it's all going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cinemas reopened here in June last year without any vaccine. That was due to seasonal factors. The vaccination of the most vulnerable and growing community immunity means they should be able to reopen sooner this year. Whether they do or not is down to politics. Ireland has had one of the longest and strictest lockdowns in Europe. Once the UK starts opening up, there'll be enormous pressure on our govt to follow suit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Agree they'll face pressure to reopen, but they'll equally be under pressure to avoid a repeat of December (albeit seasonality will be in their favour this time) and ensure there's no further lockdown.

May is possible for sure, but given we're only looking at limited outdoor gatherings by (at best) April / early May, I think the return of non-retail indoor activities will be limited at first. But cinemas by the sounds of it will be further up the queue than they were last summer as well, certainly compared to restaurants and pubs.

Anyway, all speculation for now - no cinemas in April at this rate I think is the only certainty :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

More to the point, how are the disparate Irish cinema franchise doing, financially? I take it there's no real news of bankruptcy or whatnot, ala AMC in America?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

I know the cinema in the square(tallaght) shut down during the lockdown. From what I heard though that cinema wasnt exactly packing them in under normal circumstances anyway. I'm surprised more have gone under though, I dont know how they're managing to stay afloat. I just hope when this lockdown ends that this will be it, there'll be no more closures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

santana75 wrote: »
    I know the cinema in the square(tallaght) shut down during the lockdown. From what I heard though that cinema wasnt exactly packing them in under normal circumstances anyway. I'm surprised more have gone under though, I dont know how they're managing to stay afloat. I just hope when this lockdown ends that this will be it, there'll be no more closures.

The owners of tallaght were selling up I think , pity as it was a great alternative to the odeon who only play big names

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

The owners of tallaght were selling up I think , pity as it was a great alternative to the odeon who only play big names

I agree. I often saw films in there when I was the only person at the screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I agree. I often saw films in there when I was the only person at the screening.

And that’s the problem right there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

May 17th. Here's hoping. Can't wait to go back and watch a good movie the way a movie is supposed to be watched.
    What movies are due out in May?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Read earlier that cinemas could fall into June or July due to the government outdoor policy even though galleries and museums are getting the go ahead...fingers crossed we'll hear good news soon as I really am struggling without cinema

That's earlier than I thought it might be(June 2nd was what I figured). But would be great if they did reopen on the 17th. Dont care what they show tbh, I'll go see whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,105 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

santana75 wrote: »
    That's earlier than I thought it might be(June 2nd was what I figured). But would be great if they did reopen on the 17th. Dont care what they show tbh, I'll go see whatever.

One of the movues@ people tweeting tonight that there is currently no date or clarity.

Latest ses to be they'll think about it in June, rather than a June date (2 or 7) being aimed at

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 45,105 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be open in time for F9. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

They removed this again. It's back to being under consideration.

More info here, seems to be some confusion about the 7th June date but they are still saying sometime in June subject to public compliance blah blah blah.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/cinemas-seek-clarity-on-contradictory-dates-for-reopening-1.4552589

It should be noted of course, as we saw last year, that cinemas being allowed re-open and actually re-opening are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

More info here, seems to be some confusion about the 7th June date but they are still saying sometime in June subject to public compliance blah blah blah.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/cinemas-seek-clarity-on-contradictory-dates-for-reopening-1.4552589

It should be noted of course, as we saw last year, that cinemas being allowed re-open and actually re-opening are two different things.

V annoying now would love to be at the cinema now. Looking up big film releases most seem to be from July. 4th June is A Quiet Place 2 but I do want to see that and in the cinema. I just hope people start to go back to the cinema as when I went over Xmas time when you could it wasn't exactly busy in the cinema I went to. Would hate to see it close down, Ashbourne cinema. Only 5 euro a film can't go wrong at all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Just think a big cohort wouldn’t feel safe unless vaccinated. I reckon that’s why attendances were down for the likes of Tenet when it was released last year. The big one for me is gottta be Dune

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

RGARDINR wrote: »
    V annoying now would love to be at the cinema now. Looking up big film releases most seem to be from July. 4th June is A Quiet Place 2 but I do want to see that and in the cinema. I just hope people start to go back to the cinema as when I went over Xmas time when you could it wasn't exactly busy in the cinema I went to. Would hate to see it close down, Ashbourne cinema. Only euro a film can't go wrong at all there.

Jeez that's great valve. Certainly can not go wrong there and I thought I was getting a bargain at 5 euro a film.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

AMKC wrote: »
    Jeez that's great valve. Certainly can not go wrong there and I thought I was getting a bargain at 5 euro a film.

I’d pay money to lie in a 6ft squared off cube in a field somewhere, have a few pints and watch an open air film on bigscreen under the stars.

sighs.

will this be the end of cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,882 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I will be heading to the lighthouse asap when they reopen.
    They did a great job of spacing people out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

kerplun k wrote: »
    Just think a big cohort wouldn’t feel safe unless vaccinated. I reckon that’s why attendances were down for the likes of Tenet when it was released last year. The big one for me is gottta be Dune

That was the case last year but I'd imagine a lot of people have changed their minds since. I didn't go last year when they did reopen but happy to go back now (without the need for a vaccination).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

RGARDINR wrote: »
    V annoying now would love to be at the cinema now. Looking up big film releases most seem to be from July. 4th June is A Quiet Place 2 but I do want to see that and in the cinema. I just hope people start to go back to the cinema as when I went over Xmas time when you could it wasn't exactly busy in the cinema I went to. Would hate to see it close down, Ashbourne cinema. Only euro a film can't go wrong at all there.

I started going to the cinema again last summer after a break of years (last film I saw in the cinema before that was 12 Years a Slave). I never went back at Christmas though as the dogs on the street could see that the reopening was rushed, that restrictions were being ignored en masse and the disease was spreading again. Obviously the odds of catching it were miniscule, but the pandemic exists because of millions of 1000 to 1 chances being taken.

The difference between then and now is like night and day though, and I will definitely go back when the cinemas reopen. Could be a few more like me who gave Christmas a skip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

AMKC wrote: »

Sorry 5 euro I apologise.

Advertisement