Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

pixelburp wrote: »
    My local IMC in Santry is open again; only 4 films being shown AFAIK; half being Irish is nice though (Wolfwalkers and Pixie), but otherwise no idea if anyone has darkened its door yet.

I darkened its door the other day to watch Honest Thief. Only about 6 or 8 in the cinema in total (and I still had to ssshhh a couple for having a full blown conversation a few rows back!)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

I've been to the cinema 5 times during Covid.

Genuinely feels completely safe. Even the busiest screening was comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Just left Die Hard in Vue Ashbourne. 6 other people at it. Great set up by company and staff. Will see wonder woman 2 with kids here on Monday. Nice to do it as love the cinema and haven't seen Die Hard in such a long time was great to see it on the big screen and have some coke and popcorn, felt like a bit of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

"Ireland is clearly a nation that loves the big screen and we have the highest annual cinema admissions per capita in Europe with 3.3 trips per person each year, ahead of France (3.2), Estonia (2.8) and the UK (2.6)."

That means there's a lot of people here who DON'T go to the cinema. Most of my circle would go at least weekly & several would go a couple of times per week.

If their numbers are being skewed down by the average, that means the box office take for the likes of 007 is going to be nowhere near what they expect given the huge slew of product that's backed up.

• Advertisement

At wonder woman today at Ashbourne. 9 at it but was 4.25 showing. Glad I got a bit of a cinema fix in before it looks like they will be closing up come Thursday. Bit mad as it's not like cinemas are jammers at all at moment and it's so well done up with sanitisers etc. Staff masks etc. Crazy I think. Sad to see trailers before hand like Dune etc. They should of been released this wk. By the way wonder woman 2 is so so but here look might be last film you will see in the cinema for a really really long time. Kids liked it so was worth it for sure. So long cinemas I will miss yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

I don't think there's any doubt that cinemas are doing all they can but it's just not appealing to be sitting in the same confined space as x number of people for a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

The Omniplex in Limerick has probably been the safest place I've felt throughout the year (when open). Well managed Covid-wise, and quiet. The closest I've sat to someone is around 5 metres. What's better is you can plan in advance and check the bookings. If a showing seems a bit busier than you'd like, you can skip it. Omniplex in Limerick wouldn't be thronged during normal times anyway, but I do appreciate that when it's open, I feel very safe doing something that gets me out of the house and that I enjoy.

The Omniplex in Limerick has probably been the safest place I've felt throughout the year (when open). Well managed Covid-wise, and quiet. The closest I've sat to someone is around 5 metres. What's better is you can plan in advance and check the bookings. If a showing seems a bit busier than you'd like, you can skip it. Omniplex in Limerick wouldn't be thronged during normal times anyway, but I do appreciate that when it's open, I feel very safe doing something that gets me out of the house and that I enjoy.

Yeah I would have no problem in the cinema I find them very safe at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Penfailed

sterz wrote: »
    I don't think there's any doubt that cinemas are doing all they can but it's just not appealing to be sitting in the same confined space as x number of people for a couple of hours.

I was at the cinema a couple of times this year. It appealed to me.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, I went to see Wonder Woman on Thursday and I'd say the closest person was the row behind me but about 5/6 seats to the left of me. Was actually no one else even in the same row. The food area is probably where you're closest to someone but have to wear masks there

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Penfailed wrote: »
    I was at the cinema a couple of times this year. It appealed to me.

Well my comment was obviously my viewpoint (and it would appear to be the viewpoint of a few others out there as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Saw Let him go in Coolock last night, there were five people at the screening. Great fim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Penfailed

sterz wrote: »
    Well my comment was obviously my viewpoint (and it would appear to be the viewpoint of a few others out there as well).

Yeah, my comment was my viewpoint - I even referred to 'me' in the post (and it would appear to be the viewpoint of a few others out there as well) :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

So looks like cinema's are closed again after Xmas eve... Ridiculous

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Were I a restaurateur I'd be so raging. We knew this was a possibility from the start but the authorities tried to chance an elongated break, and restaurants adjusting for new years bookings etc. It's a tough break.

smurf492 wrote: »
    So looks like cinema's are closed again after Xmas eve... Ridiculous

Literally only opened some of them. Vue in Ashbourne only since the 16th so not even 2 wks nearly wasn't worth there while sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Shred

I really wish cinemas could at least stay open, I've only been a couple of times over the past few months (with the intention of going more) but on both occasions it was very safe imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Shred wrote: »
    I really wish cinemas could at least stay open, I've only been a couple of times over the past few months (with the intention of going more) but on both occasions it was very safe imo.

Given the lack of attendance mentioned several times in this thread, I would imagine the cinemas would rather stay shut. It’s likely costing them a lot more to open to tiny crowds and basically zero new releases

MJohnston wrote: »
    Given the lack of attendance mentioned several times in this thread, I would imagine the cinemas would rather stay shut. It’s likely costing them a lot more to open to tiny crowds and basically zero new releases

While that may be true for some cinemas, who have remained closed, others seem happy enough to be open I’d say. While numbers are far lower if it wasn’t worth their while they wouldn’t open either I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Shred wrote: »
    While that may be true for some cinemas, who have remained closed, others seem happy enough to be open I’d say. While numbers are far lower if it wasn’t worth their while they wouldn’t open either I would have thought.

Well their problem right now is that they *can* open if they want to, which means they get zero financial support if they don’t open.

I’m saying that they would probably prefer the government say they *can’t* open, because then they, and their employees can get financial assistance.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Well their problem right now is that they *can* open if they want to, which means they get zero financial support if they don’t open.

I’m saying that they would probably prefer the government say they *can’t* open, because then they, and their employees can get financial assistance.

Ah yes, with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

serious question...is cinema finished??

with most motion pictures going straight to streaming, is there any way back for cinema??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

fryup wrote: »

with most motion pictures going straight to streaming, is there any way back for cinema??

Given WB have a target on their back and look to be getting sued by another studio they were partnering with.....there definitely is a way back for cinema.

Talking big budget alone people seem to really want to experience those films with other people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I think the cinema will still be going strong once the economy reopens. It's a unique experience that can't be replicated at home. Hasn't it been said since the advent of the television that it would be the end for cinemas but they were still going strong at least until covid.

I personally love the cinema and hope it thrives long after covid. I will be going as soon as they reopen if there's anything on I'm interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No it's not finished. The movie industry needs cinema's and movie's need Cinema's and as said above it's a unique experience that can not re replicated at home no matter how could you think you TV and speakers are.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

AMKC wrote: »
    No it's not finished. The movie industry needs cinema's and movie's need Cinema's and as said above it's a unique experience that can not re replicated at home no matter how could you think you TV and speakers are.

Dead? I don't know. I think we will see a contraction in the amount of cinemas especially as most of them are operated by large companies and multinationals. I think they will simply close branches that don't make X amount of profit.

Wth consumer electronics companies now investing and manufacturing ever increasing TV display and home cinema technology, I think it will come to a point in which the cinema patron will have a better experience at home.

It's sad and I hope that I am wrong.

BTW my reply was to GT89's comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I for one can’t wait to get back to a cinema experience...I watch a lot at home but there is something different in watching a movie on a 30 foot screen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

But look at all the ground its losing to TV at the moment esp subscription TV, and all the top actors are switching over to TV drama and the production values are on par if not better than most motion picture movies, and with Hollywood on hold with no major releases in the pipeline i honestly think its worrying times for the cinema industry...its got a lot of catching up to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

But look at all the ground its losing to TV at the moment esp subscription TV, and all the top actors are switching over to TV drama and the production values are on par if not better than most motion picture movies, and with Hollywood on hold with no major releases in the pipeline i honestly think its worrying times for the cinema industry...its got a lot of catching up to do.
    To be fair, you could have said most of the above 5, or even, 10 years ago. Even before subscription TV, network TV was doing high budget glossy productions putting a lot of Hollywood's output to shame.

Advertisement