Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Penfailed wrote: »
    You don't need to get vaccinated to go to the cinema.

You might well do once vaccinations start, but even if you don't, the poster was obviously saying that they personally wouldn't feel safe going to a cinema until vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Penfailed

MJohnston wrote: »
    You might well do once vaccinations start, but even if you don't, the poster was obviously saying that they personally wouldn't feel safe going to a cinema until vaccinated.

That's fair enough. If they aren't in the vulnerable/elderly cohort of the population, they'll not be getting a vaccine in January though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sam Hain wrote: »
    I think you might be in luck, the official list from government will read something like this for priorities
    1 - Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
    2 - All those aged 80 and over. Frontline health and social care workers
    3 - All those aged 75 and over
    4.- People who want to go to the cinema.
    5 - All those aged 70 and over. Clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
    6 - All those aged 65 and over
    7 - All individuals aged 16-64 with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality

Assuming being overweight counts for the underlying health conditions, my love of chocolate will finally pay off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

titan18 wrote: »
    Assuming being overweight counts for the underlying health conditions, my love of chocolate will finally pay off :D
    Obese, diabetic, hypertensive (high BP), and various lung/breathing problems are all associated with bad outcomes in covid and people with those conditions will presumably top that list. I wonder how they'll implement it, though: maybe you'll need a GP to refer you to get it early.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DIFF have announced outdoor and drive-in screenings as well as streaming for festival in March

https://www.diff.ie/what-to-expect-at-vmdiff21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Went to see love actually in omniplex last night and there was a good crowd at it. And looking at the lighthouse listings a lot of their shows have been sold out since opening. I think people are eager to get back to the cinema, vaccine or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

American news, but a bellwether for the industry all the same: the AMC chain have announced they'll be broke in January, so that's that chain dead ( assuming it's not bought for buttons by Amazon, Disney or some such)

They're blaming Warner Bros, but if they were going to go broke in January, nothing WB could do was going to save them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

One thing I’m hoping that will come from this is a change in attitude from cinema chains. They’ve been a bit lazy in the past regarding policies. Enforcing things such as phone use, excessive noise, etc, will go a long way for enticing people away from their couches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

pixelburp wrote: »
    American news, but a bellwether for the industry all the same: the AMC chain have announced they'll be broke in January, so that's that chain dead ( assuming it's not bought for buttons by Amazon, Disney or some such)

Could totally see Amazon or Netflix buying them, Disney maybe as it would offer them another merchandise outlet - Disney store in every cinema

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

The cinema industry will probably go the way of video shops and record stores.

Big Gerry wrote: »
    The cinema industry will probably go the way of video shops and record stores.

Record shops are still viable. Video shops aren't because videos are obsolete. I think there's still a demand for cinema.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Record shops are still viable. Video shops aren't because videos are obsolete. I think there's still a demand for cinema.

Record shops are for a niche market I suspect cinemas will be same in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cinemas becoming ‘niche’ could be a much needed course correction. It’s been independent and small cinemas that have done the best this year, because they have imaginative programmers and a variety of films to schedule - you’re getting the same experience, just with reduced capacity in screens. Multiplexes simply don’t know what to do when there’s no blockbusters programming themselves. Just shows how limited the multiplex experience actually was.

And there’s no fear IMO of cinemas being instantly redundant when everything is safe again. Netflix has been around a long time now, and cinemas are still thriving (before the unexpected interruption). Even now, places like the Light House are still selling out screenings. People want to go to the cinema - when they can, they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Are many cinemas open around the country?

Our local has no date announced to reopen.

I’m still hesitant about going but Wonder Woman 1984 is tempting me.

Are many cinemas open around the country?

Our local has no date announced to reopen.

I’m still hesitant about going but Wonder Woman 1984 is tempting me.

Our local one is open. I'm looking forward to seeing WW 84 when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Some cinemas opened already some opening from Wednesday for wonder woman 2. My closest is so will go to see that next week but they have die hard on this Friday I will go see that as be a great film on the big screen and sure its a Xmas movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My local IMC in Santry is open again; only 4 films being shown AFAIK; half being Irish is nice though (Wolfwalkers and Pixie), but otherwise no idea if anyone has darkened its door yet.

Our local one is open. I'm looking forward to seeing WW 84 when it comes out.

Seems ours is opening Wednesday.

This is good because now I can properly hum-and-haw about whether to go.

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Some cinemas opened already some opening from Wednesday for wonder woman 2. My closest is so will go to see that next week but they have die hard on this Friday I will go see that as be a great film on the big screen and sure its a Xmas movie.

Ours will be showing a few Christmas movies over the next week.

Die Hard, Gremlins and It’s a Wonderful Life are really tempting me even more but they either clash or are just at bad times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

My OCD made going to the cinema difficult but movies are something that I enjoy so I was able to overcome it.

I would still go but I am wary of the risk because I am a carer but I don’t know if I’m being sensible or if is it my OCD causing me to worry about nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interestingly, there doesn’t seem to be any cinema in Dublin City centre showing Wonder Woman. Rathmines is the closest. IFI and Light House pushing on with their usual programming; Cineworld closed indefinitely; and Savoy didn’t even open for Tenet.

Ours will be showing a few Christmas movies over the next week.

Die Hard, Gremlins and It’s a Wonderful Life are really tempting me even more but they either clash or are just at bad times.

Yeah I have 3 cinemas near me now well space of 20 mins drive there abouts but most showing loads of Xmas movies, this is on late so will go then. I hope they do well now as went to seen tenet and the set up was really good in the cinema. Would hate to see them close but I could see this cinema closing down over time other 2 I can't. I think if movies are in the future going to be shown on TV at same time as cinemas ticket prices should drop hopefully as for them to be viable to stay open this might need to happen and make most of their money on the food then.

Interestingly, there doesn’t seem to be any cinema in Dublin City centre showing Wonder Woman. Rathmines is the closest. IFI and Light House pushing on with their usual programming; Cineworld closed indefinitely; and Savoy didn’t even open for Tenet.

I went past the Savoy last week on the bus to work haven't passed it since March, looked proper closed down, lights off, all posters on front of inside window hanging down or removed, sad to see it like that. Hopefully back to normal next year for them.

I want to see WW1984 but I want my son to be able to see his grandmother at Christmas more, so I won't be going! I'll settle for attempting to discover whether HBO Max works over VPN or not :)

MJohnston wrote: »
    I want to see WW1984 but I want my son to be able to see his grandmother at Christmas more, so I won't be going! I'll settle for attempting to discover whether HBO Max works over VPN or not :)

I understand but cinema I saw tennet at no one sitting in seats in front beside or behind you. 3 seat gap either way so well over a metre apart, wasn't mad busy either about 30 at it the most. Hand sanitisers over the place, staff well set up. I thought was very well done. I was on Dublin bus 1st time since March other day as had to go into work and sure one person allowed in front of u and behind not a metre apart, found that a hell of a lot worse. Cinema I was really happy with it

I understand but cinema I saw tennet at no one sitting in seats in front beside or behind you. 3 seat gap either way so well over a metre apart, wasn't mad busy either about 30 at it the most. Hand sanitisers over the place, staff well set up. I thought was very well done. I was on Dublin bus 1st time since March other day as had to go into work and sure one person allowed in front of u and behind not a metre apart, found that a hell of a lot worse. Cinema I was really happy with it

Nah, I'm staying away from indoor locations, except supermarkets, until this is all over. It'll hopefully be March or April and most vulnerable people will have gotten vaccinated.

If I can see a film legally at home, there's very little to tempt me out to the cinema right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree about the cinema's. Much safer than public transport which is at 50per cent capacity now. I was on a bus last week and the same people in front and behind me some even ignoring the Covid sign on the seat but at least we were all wearing masks.
    The cinema had loads of space between everyone and is spacious so loads of air to circulate.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes there is Odeon if you want to pay silly prices for it do. I thought about it but in the end booked elsewhere with better prices as I could never enjoy a film paying Odeons prices. They used to have bargain days but it looks like dos days are gone.
    Just wondering does AMC own Odeon are they linked in anyway at all or maybe its Ciineworld they are linked too? Might be why there prices have gone so steep all of a sudden

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

AMKC wrote: »
    I agree about the cinema's. Much safer than public transport which is at 50per cent capacity now. I was on a bus last week and the same people in front and behind me some even ignoring the Covid sign on the seat but at least we were all wearing masks.
    The cinema had loads of space between everyone and is spacious so loads of air to circulate.

Isn’t the air circulation the “problem”?

I know it is a big space but are we not breathing in each other air?

Science is not my thing and I long ago decided to not look stuff up in case it gave me an excuse to just not go out at all

Advertisement