Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

People will want activities outside home once everything returns to some normality. I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if something like No Time To Die breaks box office records if it releases in a safe environment, simply because people will enjoy the novelty of going to the cinema without hesitation again.

The Light House was buzzing (within capacity and social distancing guidelines) every time I went during the brief periods of reopening. People want things to do, because being stuck in your house 24-7 for everything other than grocery shopping and short walks / runs is not a pleasant experience. The year ahead is tough for cinemas, no doubt, but I see no reason why the shouldn’t rebound strongly once the opportunity is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Basq wrote: »
    To be fair, you could have said most of the above 5, or even, 10 years ago. Even before subscription TV, network TV was doing high budget glossy productions putting a lot of Hollywood's output to shame.

yes, but back then you didn't have the pandemic which is a game changer imo

its turned the industry on its head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I love the cinema. But it had gone very expensive. Had just been going to kids club except for movies I really wanted to see big screen.
    Even then the last few I saw the screen quality was at best meh and in once case it was actually faulty. No refund when I complained (during the movie not after).
    So I just stopped going.

I think the cinema industry shot itself in the foot. Priced it self out of the market. Poor quality screens, some of that to do with 3D. Killed 3D by not doing it properly.

Network TV is making better made content as well. A lot of Cinema releases are meh. I'm not into superhero stuff, so thats about 50% of big movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

GT89 wrote: »
    I think the cinema will still be going strong once the economy reopens. It's a unique experience that can't be replicated at home. Hasn't it been said since the advent of the television that it would be the end for cinemas but they were still going strong at least until covid.

I personally love the cinema and hope it thrives long after covid. I will be going as soon as they reopen if there's anything on I'm interested in.
    AMKC wrote: »
    No it's not finished. The movie industry needs cinema's and movie's need Cinema's and as said above it's a unique experience that can not re replicated at home no matter how could you think you TV and speakers are.

Yes no matter how much I try I can't get the talking, phones, eating loudly and walking about at home as it the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

beauf wrote: »
    Network TV is making better made content as well.

It’s not, though. I’ve seen very little on TV that can match up to the experience of seeing a Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire or Uncut Gems on a big screen (something like Steve McQueen’s Lovers Rock being an exceedingly rare example of truly cinema-level small-screen content).

This isn’t to hate on TV as a medium - I think it’s an exciting space right now, and I could name and praise dozens of great shows. But cinema isn’t just the dumbass blockbusters - it has a diversity, range and artistic depth that TV simply can’t match yet, and IMO isn’t even close yet.

It’s not, though. I’ve seen very little on TV that can match up to the experience of seeing a Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire or Uncut Gems on a big screen (something like Steve McQueen’s Lovers Rock being an exceedingly rare example of truly cinema-level small-screen content).

This isn’t to hate on TV as a medium - I think it’s an exciting space right now, and I could name and praise dozens of great shows. But cinema isn’t just the dumbass blockbusters - it has a diversity, range and artistic depth that TV simply can’t match yet, and IMO isn’t even close yet.

A lot of those film won't get to my local cinema. I'd have to out of my way to watch, cost a fortune, and probably get a bad screen. I got fed up going to movies with great cinematography on screen 99.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yes no matter how much I try I can't get the talking, phones, eating loudly and walking about at home as it the cinema.

I get that at home. I have to wait ages to get a quiet time, where I can watch decent movies at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Uncut Gems was a Netflix Original...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

MJohnston wrote: »
    Uncut Gems was a Netflix Original...
    They bought rights for international distribution AFAIK but wasn't an original production of theirs.

• Advertisement

True but very few people are going to notice that, and they’re going to associate it with being a Netflix movie (I’d forgotten until you mentioned it!). The Irishman, Roma, Mank, Marriage Story, Buster Scruggs, Pieces of a Woman, the next Jane Campion, the next Zack Snyder, the next Adam McKay, the next Joe Wright, etc. And that’s just Netflix!

For most people, the line between streaming and cinema has gone completely.

MJohnston wrote: »
    True but very few people are going to notice that, and they’re going to associate it with being a Netflix movie (I’d forgotten until you mentioned it!). The Irishman, Roma, Mank, Marriage Story, Buster Scruggs, Pieces of a Woman, the next Jane Campion, the next Zack Snyder, the next Adam McKay, the next Joe Wright, etc. And that’s just Netflix!

For most people, the line between streaming and cinema has gone completely.

All these films are still clearly films, though, as opposed to television. No matter where someone sees it - and Netflix have over the last few years really ramped up big screen releases, to their credit - it’s still clearly a cinematic production.

Even within just the Netflix ecosystem, the lines between ‘film’ and ‘television’ are very clearly defined and the type of work is very different.

All these films are still clearly films, though, as opposed to television. No matter where someone sees it - and Netflix have over the last few years really ramped up big screen releases, to their credit - it’s still clearly a cinematic production.

Even within just the Netflix ecosystem, the lines between ‘film’ and ‘television’ are very clearly defined and the type of work is very different.

Well I was thinking more in terms of cinema vs streaming then TV vs movies. If you have Netflix or Apple TV or Disney Plus or whatever, they may be catalogued separately but it’s all the same subscription. Even then I think people are just thinking of them increasingly as visual entertainment as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No offence to the good people in here but I don’t think it’s representative of the wider general public, and I don’t think many care about who makes a film. The Snapper is easily one of Ireland’s favourite films and it was shown on BBC 2 first. One of my favourites in the 90s was HBO’s ‘The Last Seduction’ and I only know it was on TB first because Linda Fiorentino wasn’t eligible for the Oscars because of it

If and when cinemas are back to ‘normal’ there’ll still be family films getting wide releases, still be summer blockbuster and still be independent cinemas showing stuff that the multiplexes won’t

Sure some will be happy at home with their subscriptions but others will be happy to get out to *anything*. Room for all to make money IMO

I hate the fractured streaming services. The interfaces are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

What does everyone think, will cinemas be open again on February 1st?

Not a bloody chance. They’ll be lucky to get schools reopened for February 1st.

Would be pleasantly surprised to be back in a cinema screen before April. Reckon we’ll see a fully online Dublin Film Festival this year too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The infection numbers are still insanely high, even if they have come down from the apocalyptic ones last week. There's not a chance we leave level 5 in February, as much as it pains me to say and I daresay even March feels optimistic at this point. Christmas was a disaster and this is the cost :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If nothing else, with the US and mainland Europe also all suffering high numbers lots of releases will likely continue to be held back so we mightn't miss out on much.

santana75 wrote: »

April, I’d say. Depends on how vaccination goes.

Still not much for the cinemas to show though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Shred

I’ve got a reasonably good, OLED/Dolby Atmos, setup at home that I enjoy immensely but nothing will ever match cinema quality HUGE screen and audio if you ask me (even those lucky few who have dedicated top notch cinema rooms). As has been shown over decades, Cinema will be around for a long time to come regardless of whatever new fangled technology that comes among.

It’ll be some time before we get to go back through it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

santana75 wrote: »

To chime in with the above, yeah no chance we are leaving level 5 anytime soon sadly.
    We entered level 5 this time with around 1,000 case per day. We are in and around 3,000 these days.

No chance of cinemas opening until we are under 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

autumn i reckon,

I wonder will MGM say fek it lets stream no time to die

MGM is imo doomed either way, they're trying to sell the studio because they're out of money (again) but also they have no streaming platform connection to try and leverage for a home-streaming release of Bond.

I think NBCUniversal/Comcast or CBS/Paramount might be tempted to buy them to bulk up their respective streaming catalogues. WB and Disney imo aren't going to do it, nor do I think they would or should be allowed to. Sony Columbia could, and they were the distributor for all of the Craig Bonds up until No Time to Die, but Sony have basically no skin in the streaming game, so I don't know why they would — Bond is basically the only big franchise MGM owns.

Of course, Apple or Amazon could be sniffing around, and I guess you can't really rule out Netflix (although I think there would be anti-trust issues there).

Hell of an MGM library for whoever acquires them though — Orion Pictures in particular has an incredible back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DonnaNol

Why would anyone go to the movies during covid? Don't you have Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Penfailed

DonnaNol wrote: »

Because it's a completely different experience. I've been to the cinema a few times when the restrictions eased. There's no comparison between sitting at home watching TV and going to the cinema.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

fryup wrote: »
    But look at all the ground its losing to TV at the moment esp subscription TV, and all the top actors are switching over to TV drama and the production values are on par if not better than most motion picture movies, and with Hollywood on hold with no major releases in the pipeline i honestly think its worrying times for the cinema industry...its got a lot of catching up to do.

I wouldn't say no major releases in the pipeline. Whether people like them or not, every MCU film is a major release, as is No Time to Die, Fast and Furious 9, Dune, next Batman film etc. They won't be everyone's idea of a good film, but with good reviews, they're all potential 1bn dollar releases (in a normal time anyway, COVID will likely scupper some of the earlier releases there).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For the same reason people go to live concerts as opposed to sit at home, listening to studio recordings; it's a totally different sensory experiencE (unless you're one of those who has money and space enough for their own home cinema).

In any case, "... during CoVid" is irrelevant given they're are no cinemas open, and haven't been except the smallest window when the full lockdown restrictions were rolled back.

As to the infection risk, well having spent Christmas listening to & reading stories of illegal shebeens, sneaky funerals that became super-spreader events, and the various "ah it'll be grand" breaking of the rules - professionally cleaned and maintained industries seem a lot safer than the ordinary public :pac:

pixelburp wrote: »
    For the same reason people go to live concerts as opposed to sit at home, listening to studio recordings; it's a totally different sensory experiencE (unless you're one of those who has money and space enough for their own home cinema).

In any case, "... during CoVid" is irrelevant given they're are no cinemas open, and haven't been except the smallest window when the full lockdown restrictions were rolled back.

As to the infection risk, well having spent Christmas listening to & reading stories of illegal shebeens, sneaky funerals that became super-spreader events, and the various "ah it'll be grand" breaking of the rules - professionally cleaned and maintained industries seem a lot safer than the ordinary public :pac:

In fairness, the answer to all that isn't "well they're getting away with it so everyone should" but for responsible industries and people to keep being responsible.

Of course it would help if the government would extend more financial support to businesses like cinemas to voluntarily stay closed, even when they're not fully restricted from opening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

For the experience, movies are meant to be viewed on the big screen and with a proper sound system.

I went in December when the cinemas re-opened briefly and I can tell you it was a much more safer experience than going to a supermarket.

Advertisement