Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

While still on a flight related theme, as far as I know an Airbus A380 (F-HPJB) is due to fly into Knock later this afternoon for its final flight before being scrapped. May be of interest to aviation enthusiasts!
    Back to the weather and apologies for going off topic. A cold bright and showery day in Mayo. We have had a couple of wintry type showers with a mixture of hail and graupel in them. They were lovely to watch as the sunshine at times illuminated the flowing curtains of white precipitation on the leading edge of the showers.
    A welcome change from yesterday's grey washout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Flurry of snow around midday here in South Laois - didn't stick. 90mASL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    25 to 35mm of rain expected during the period.

As the ground is saturated at the moment and river levels are elevated the forecast rainfall may lead to some localised surface and river flooding.

Valid: 03:00 Friday 21/02/2020 to 03:00 Saturday 22/02/2020

Issued: 10:00 Thursday 20/02/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Sleety shower in Galway city, horrible day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

heavy hail shower here at Dunshaughlin with a few flakes drifting around in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gonzo wrote: »
    heavy hail shower here at Dunshaughlin with a few flakes drifting around in it.

Yeah it has reached me here in Dublin 15, squally but fairly small hailstones, giving a white covering to tarmac areas, whipped up an icy wind that would cut you in half, as my Granny would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Graupel in Dublin City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

sleety wintry mix in the heaviest shower
    kilkenny city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Similar but heavy wintry shower about to hit Dublin city, south side city probably will get the heaviest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Huge and heavy hail shower in gusty winds here in west Dublin about 10 minutes aho...turned everything white briefly!

Sun back out now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Sun and blue skies......for now. Meath.
    Bitter out

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sleet and Light Snow

heavy hail now all turning white

Newcastle Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Rain sleet and snow mix falling in D14. Temp is 4.7c and DP is 1c.

Edit: rapid drop to 3.7c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭esposito

Rain/sleet mix in D16 - probably snow on the Dublin mountains.
    Wouldn't like to be caught in that shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Down to 2.7c and sunny now, backend of the shower turned to mainly snow. I'd say the mountains got full snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Yup snow up here alright ........ looks like it’s nearing the end now though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had a few light snow showers after that heavy hail shower. Radar beginning to look clearer over much of Leinster. Fairly sunny here now with mostly blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Has there ever been a more prolonged spell of windy weather 12 days now of high winds when will it ever end

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Something solid on the roof and windows.. just managed to get the groceries in before this hit… that wind would scare an Eskimo...

Has there ever been a more prolonged spell of windy weather 12 days now of high winds when will it ever end

unfortunately there is no end in sight to the current very unsettled, wet and windy conditions. The only difference is it may become colder with cold zonal becoming more of an issue with wintry precipitation next week and feeling very raw in biting north-west winds. Wouldn't take much to change this scenario to milder. No matter what way it goes it's going to be fairly windy and unsettled most of the time regardless of mild zonal or cold zonal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yet another horrible day in Letterkenny with frequent heavy squalls of hail and snow with strong winds. Wasn't really expecting proper snow today but had a few heavy blizzard-like showers they briefly turned the place white

and in terms of wind, looks like we will have to wait a while for a calm day too.

gusts tomorrow between 60 and 90km/h, strongest along western coasts.

24-289UK.GIF?20-12

Saturday still gusty, especially in the north and Donegal.
    51-289UK.GIF?20-12

Sunday may see a swipe of strong winds across the south:
    66-289UK.GIF?20-12

Monday rinse repeat strong winds across the country, especially coastal areas
    90-289UK.GIF?20-12

Winds do ease from Tuesday but it will still be quite gusty in showers, and becoming colder too next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Forecast rainfall totals for over the weekend from the latest model run. We've seen worse but given that we have seen close to or even above 200mm in places so far this month, they certainly won't help.

j0fWlFR.gif

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Forecast rainfall totals for over the weekend from the latest model run. We've seen worse but given that we have seen close to or even above 200mm in places so far this month, they certainly won't help.

Not too bad for Galway and at least today allowed some of the flooding to recede. Some roads around here quite badly flooded and some places flooded that I've not seen anywhere near that bad before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not too bad for Galway and at least today allowed some of the flooding to recede. Some roads around here quite badly flooded and some places flooded that I've not seen anywhere near that bad before.

Yes, true. It is more the persistence of the rain than the heaviness of it that that is causing a lot of the flooding, given that that the air is so saturated as to not allow even the smallest water droplet to evaporate. Tomorrow looks like being another such day. :rolleyes:

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Yes, true. It is more the persistence of the rain than the heaviness of it that that is causing a lot of the flooding, given that that the air is so saturated as to not allow even the smallest water droplet to evaporate. Tomorrow looks like being another such day. :rolleyes:

Looks like Westport will not fair well out of this and the rugby pitch might be a bit wet based on those accumulation charts, I dont fancy the drive up so I won't complain too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

River Corrib has risen sharply over the last 10 days.

Dangan station

https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/

Shannonbridge looks impressive too

https://waterlevel.ie/0000026028/0001/

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Looks like Westport will not fair well out of this and the rugby pitch might be a bit wet based on those accumulation charts, I dont fancy the drive up so I won't complain too much.

I was there this week so that explains why it’s been so wet
    Sorry about that !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

km79 wrote: »
    I was there this week so that explains why it’s been so wet
    Sorry about that !

I think I may of added to the level of the river in Westport last Saturday night .enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Hfu9Tep.png

NATIONAL WARNINGS

rNepAyC.png

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    25 to 35mm of rain expected during the period.

As the ground is saturated at the moment and river levels are elevated the forecast rainfall may lead to some localised surface and river flooding.

Issued: 10:00 Thursday 20/02/2020

rNepAyC.png

Wind warning for Donegal, Galway and Mayo
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway and Mayo
    Southwesterly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h at times during the period, with gusts of 80 to 95km/h and a slight risk of localised coastal flooding.

Issued: 14:00 Thursday 20/02/2020

Advertisement