Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was watching the Fastnet Yacht Race Tragedy, 1979 and having been on this forum wondered why they did not see that storm coming? Then the comment said at the end that now they can get far better forecasts and that that would have prevented the tragedy

With the hindsight they showed the storm coming down from the north just as we see them on here.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This morning's ECMWF rainfall totals out to the end of the month does not bode well for the regions that have already seen excessive totals so far this month.
    ]

Must admit, as much as I love a good rainy day or 4, a few dry days wouldn't go amiss at this stage. Both the front and back garden are mud baths at this stage.

Ouch..

Even here where usually no drainage issues, there are squelchy mudbaths at each end of the concrete path.

ANOTHER loud hail shower. Ouch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Must admit, as much as I love a good rainy day or 4, a few dry days wouldn't go amiss at this stage. Both the front and back garden are mud baths at this stage.

We need at least a month of relatively dry and settled conditions to properly dry out the rainfall from the past 6 months as we've had very little drying opportunities. We've had a few dry days here and there but it's not enough to start drying out the saturated land.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very heavy sleet shower here with bits of graupel and snow mixed in.

back edge more of snow now, some dinner plates in there too!

Stormed in out here; gale gusts and sudden sun and desperate hail showers. And bitter cold. Retreating soon abed with hot water bottle and as many cats as will come to me... secret weapon..

But just never seems to improve. Small flood at the back here now; never seen that here before. And more to come they say.

west mayo offshore watersi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A large hail fall in Castlebar has left everything white outside, sleeting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Xenji wrote: »
    A large hail fall in Castlebar has left everything white outside, sleeting now.

We had a very heavy hail shower about an hour ago but the most recent one was very sleety with a 30 second flurry of large big wet snowflakes thrown in for good measure. Showers looking quite wintry as they come in over the hills.

shower passed here now, obviously no lying snow or slush as most of the shower was sleety, but wasn't expecting to see a few flakes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another day with plenty of heavy showers in Letterkenny, rinse and repeat...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Snowing above 600 feet here. Dew points are slightly negative, what do we think about snow chance in Ulster on Thursday morning?

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    very heavy sleet shower here with bits of graupel and snow mixed in.

back edge more of snow now, some dinner plates in there too!

Yep. It’s close to snow territory, dews are slightly negative here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Snowing above 600 feet here.

Where?

I’ve said Ulster already.

The sky to the south is darkest grey and heavy, heavy heavy. The white minibus parked at a neighbour's is dazzling white against the solid, solemn grey.. At the far northerly edge of the cloudbank , rosy pink then blue sky.

Whatever comes down from that grey will engulf us! Swallow us up.

All safe indoors anyways. Let it throw what it likes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Big place, relative to the entire country!

Not much point in you posting conditions for 'here' if nobody has any idea where 'here' is (within the 21,552 sq. km. of Ulster).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Big place, relative to the entire country!

Not much point in you posting conditions for 'here' if nobody has any idea where 'here' is (within the 21,552 sq. km. of Ulster).

Not too far from Coleraine I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

This damp wet cold is much worse than any cold we get from the east...Its felt alot colder this winter than it actually was

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Coleraine , Co. Londonderry , United Kingdom

Good to have you back onboard and as enthusiastic as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Hooter23 wrote: »
    This damp wet cold is much worse than any cold we get from the east...Its felt alot colder this winter than it actually was

Agree with you totally, have had the stove going most evenings, the damp cold seems to get into the core of your body.

Really scary conditions. We just had a monstrous heavy snow shower, it coated the roads in about 1cm-2cm of snow and I nearly slid into a hedge at 20mph. I had to reverse down the hill so that I could get turned!

Thank god my car isn’t smashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ZX7R wrote: »
    Agree with you totally, have had the stove going most evenings, the damp cold seems to get into the core of your body.

Well....is it not a matter of perspective? The easterly cold makes it really cold, heating is a must and temperatures really plummet, perhaps it's a case of thinking the westerly cold is worse purely because of its frequency and capability of higher winds?

Nothing at low level but pretty serious higher up. Couldn’t believe how quickly the snow pilled up, never seen anything like it. The road was all white packed in, you couldn’t see the markings.

That really discouraged me from driving in snow!!

But temps are down to 2c now at sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Nothing at low level but pretty serious higher up. Couldn’t believe how quickly the snow pilled up, never seen anything like it. The road was all white packed in, you couldn’t see the markings.

That really discouraged me from driving in snow!!

But temps are down to 2c now at sea level.

Have you got a photo of the snow?

esposito wrote: »
    Have you got a photo of the snow?

No because I was concentrating on reversing down the road.

No because I was concentrating on reversing down the road.

But your able to post about it on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just had a very heavy hail shower here in Connacht.
    Thats 2 sections of the country covered.
    How is the weather in Leinster and Munster?

Dunno but I think people in hilly areas should invest in winter tyres.. it’s not possible to drive a car with summer tyres in that kind of snow. When you brake, the car slides more. if the snow is deep enough braking doesn’t do anything!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Well....is it not a matter of perspective? The easterly cold makes it really cold, heating is a must and temperatures really plummet, perhaps it's a case of thinking the westerly cold is worse purely because of its frequency and capability of higher winds?

You can say that, but have spent plenty of holidays in eastern Europe during the winter -10 there all I need is a fleece and a woolly hat.
    Most eastern Europeans that live in Ireland say a cold damp Westerly is worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

km79 wrote: »
    Just had a very heavy hail shower here in Connacht.
    Thats 2 sections of the country covered.
    How is the weather in Leinster and Munster?

In cork city at least, its just been rain showers all day and chilly with grey skies. Same as the last few weeks really but there was the occassional break in the skies today which was nice before the showers returned. Can't wait for a dry spell with some clear blue skies all day long (hopefully)

• Advertisement

Lough Fea reporting heavy snow at 21:00 with a temperature of 1c and a dew point of 0c.

Advertisement