Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

ZX7R wrote: »
    But your able to post about it on boards

Yes because I came in. Do you want me to take pictures whilst I am driving in dangerous conditions?

If you look now Lough Fea reported heavy snow at 9pm so it IS snowing in Ulster at elevation.

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/roadcams/821_cam1.jpg

In cork city at least, its just been rain showers all day and chilly with grey skies. Same as the last few weeks really but there was the occassional break in the skies today which was nice before the showers returned. Can't wait for a dry spell with some clear blue skies all day long (hopefully)

The snow is primarily falling above 400-600 feet in Ulster with rain and sleet elsewhere. You can see this on the Netweather.tv precipitation type radar.

You might see some snow showers on Thursday.

For those that don’t believe me: http://www.donegalcoco.ie/roadcams/821_cam1.jpg

I don’t live near the Glenshane but it’s similar on the hills here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Yes because I came in. Do you want me to take pictures whilst I am driving in dangerous conditions?

If you look now Lough Fea reported heavy snow at 9pm so it IS snowing in Ulster at elevation.

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/roadcams/821_cam1.jpg
    lol burnnnnnnnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"Four of the clock and all is quiet."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Is it ever going to stop raining...
    cry-face-james-van-der-beek1.jpg

Hard to believe it has all changed so much since I posted at 4 am.. wind driven deluges now. Another wet day on the ocean. Rain music and wind song..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's raining (copy and paste every day until March)

My wife asked me when is this weather going to stop

I said March

She said No seriously

I said Well maybe April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just read this morning's forecast on MET... just Atlantic misery as far as the eye can see.

HighLine wrote: »
    Just read this morning's forecast on MET... just Atlantic misery as far as the eye can see.

Oh well! Nothing we can do about it; time to light the fire and think about making a big pot of hot chicken soup... Plenty for everyone! Enjoy what we can in the day..

NB the eye cannot see but cloud and dark skies!

• Advertisement

Claremorris at 160mm for the month now

Is it conceivable that it could reach 300mm... maybe not but close.

Looking at the past couple of years there thus is an exceptionally wet month for them and it only has 29 days....thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

From my recollection, February has traditionally been a fairly dry month here in the east. Lots of calm clear days and frosty nights. A good time for cutting plants and shrubs back in the garden and getting ready for spring. Not this year anyway!

Just was to the gate and needed wellies as the puddle there is now a small lake.. And still deluging,

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Was planning on servicing the lawnmower this week. May now have to consider getting a few goldfish for the lawn instead. Some right good puddles on it.
    20.2 mms of rain in this part of Mayo since midnight. Grim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

HighLine wrote: »

not only is it going to continue unsettled but the rain may get heavier over the next few weeks if this mornings gfs runs are anything to go by, shows no shortage of rain right to the end of FI at +360 hours.

There are hints in the longer range models that things may become dryer in March, however that is to be taken lightly. We regularly get very wet weather March.

Gonzo wrote: »
    not only is it going to continue unsettled but the rain may get heavier over the next few weeks if this mornings gfs runs are anything to go by, shows no shortage of rain right to the end of FI at +360 hours.

There are hints in the longer range models that things may become dryer in March, however that is to be taken lightly. We regularly get very wet weather March.

and then April showers...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

There are hints in the longer range models that things may become dryer in March, however that is to be taken lightly.

The same models that showed high pressure taking hold for February... yeah, that ship sailed a while ago. This record strong polar vortex is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

pauldry wrote: »
    Claremorris at 160mm for the month now

Is it conceivable that it could reach 300mm... maybe not but close.

Looking at the past couple of years there thus is an exceptionally wet month for them and it only has 29 days....thank God

Thats cause I moved down from Athenry :D
    It is pretty grim today!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The same models that showed high pressure taking hold for February... yeah, that ship sailed a while ago. This record strong polar vortex is a joke.

The PV is so strong that is unlikely to weaken to any great significance until April I reckon.

This winter was cruel for those who like cold and snowy weather as well as those who like dry and settled conditions. The only game in town since mid September has been this conveyor belt of low pressures and deluges. 6 months on and we are no closer to the end than we were in October. I think the AO has reached record breaking levels 3 times already since early January and the PV is so locked down that even a moderate warming does nothing to disrupt it. We needed a record breaking SSW event to infiltrate the PV but sadly we didn't get one.

This autumn and indeed winter can be looked upon as probably the greatest example of extreme zonal conditions for our part of the world. I don't think it's possible to get a winter any more zonal driven than what we've experienced. Who knows what next winter brings but it is unlikely to be as intense with the zonal winds/AO which has gone off the scale several times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

The PV is so strong that is unlikely to weaken to any great significance until April I reckon.

This winter was cruel for those who like cold and snowy weather as well as those who like dry and settled conditions. The only game in town since mid September has been this conveyor belt of low pressures and deluges. 6 months on and we are no closer to the end than we were in October. I think the AO has reached record breaking levels 3 times already since early January and the PV is so locked down that even a moderate warming does nothing to disrupt it. We needed a record breaking SSW event to infiltrate the PV but sadly we didn't get one.

This autumn and indeed winter can be looked upon as probably the greatest example of extreme zonal conditions for our part of the world. I don't think it's possible to get a winter any more zonal driven than what we've experienced. Who knows what next winter brings but it is unlikely to be as intense with the zonal winds/AO which has gone off the scale several times already.

This would be very bad news for farmers. They couldn't get much work done last Autumn because of the incessant rain and were hoping for a fine Spring so they could catch up on sowing. If the PV doesn't weaken they might not be able to get Spring work done either. Livestock will definitely have to stay in longer due to waterlogged land. A fodder crisis is very likely this year and maybe next year as well because of the prolonged PV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Theres still snow in the ditches on high ground west of Arklow after 9 days
    Not too high either about 300 metres
    Based on that I'd assume theres plenty up on Lugnaquilla

Wind and water, water and wind. Need wellies to set foot outside the door now.

km79 wrote: »
    Thats cause I moved down from Athenry :D
    It is pretty grim today!

Where ye had 297mm in August

Claremorris and Newport are after that total

Dire, dricht, darksome,,, Water above , water below, water falling, water lying... water everywhere.. Dripping, dropping....darkening the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

T

I read on another weather forum recently that its been the most extreme for 70 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,724 ✭✭✭✭zell12

20mm rain in Galway today so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Will it ever stop...Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Will it ever stop...Galway

No, it wont. It's bad enough in Dublin I don't know how people live over there.

This will be like 2009 all over again.

20mm of rain every 3rd day and sometimes more. Where will it go? When will it go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Over 25mm of rain in Castlebar so far today, the 200mm mark for the month will be broken easily by midnight here.

Advertisement