Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

pauldry wrote: »
    Where ye had 297mm in August

Claremorris and Newport are after that total

Newport had 358mm in December 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    This winter was cruel for those who like cold and snowy weather as well as those who like dry and settled conditions..

That's the thing. Hardly any snow this winter but yet it has felt usually cold almost throughout, and especially since the new year. despite the warmer than average temps. Very few mild days as far as I can tell, but very few cold nights bringing a decent frost that would also have kept the mean near or even below normal.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All quiet and peaceful here now. Wind has eased and rain paused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Non stop rain from morning to night today in Letterkenny, looking at this evenings model runs this is on course to be one of the most depressing months in my memory, just never ending wind and rain right out to the end of the runs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    That's the thing. Hardly any snow this winter but yet it has felt usually cold almost throughout, and especially since the new year. despite the warmer than average temps. Very few mild days as far as I can tell, but very few cold nights bringing a decent frost that would also have kept the mean near or even below normal.

November started off with the jet to the south and lows moving north-west to south-east, it felt generally chilly with plenty of cold rain but no frosty nights. December brought the mild trend with temperatures really lifting off from Christmas. The main period for very mild temperatures was Christmas to end of January. End of January to the current day is definitely cooler with plenty of cold rain and some wintry showers at times, very little in the way of frost or sub zero nights. Overall we are still likely to finish milder than average with sub zero temperatures few and far between this winter. For the entirety of this winter, our milder than average temperatures are very conservative compared to elsewhere in Europe, particularly eastern Europe and Scandinavia with months on end of +3 to +6 anomolies with +10C at times!. Winter 2020 is the winter that never happened for many parts of Europe.

For us in Ireland the real stand out moment is not the temperatures but the amount of rain that has fallen all through the Autumn and into the final weeks of winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The worst day in Galway city that I can remember for quite some time. Utterly abysmal, all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dire dull and dismal day in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Terrible day in Galway. So much rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Will it ever stop bl00dy raining. It’s been raining non stop for what feels like a week. All I can hear is rain falling constantly.

Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Will it ever stop bl00dy raining. It’s been raining non stop for what feels like a week. All I can hear is rain fallin constantly.

Galway.

Hours more of it to come looking at the radar. And another day's rain on Friday to boot. Rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

31.5mms of rain recorded here since midnight in my own location just east of Castlebar and after a brief lull earlier this evening, it is coming down steadily again. A good bit more still on the way by the looks of the current radar. Whole place is well and truly sodden.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Hours more of it to come looking at the radar. And another day's rain on Friday to boot. Rotten.

Good J@ysus!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Will it ever stop bl00dy raining. It’s been raining non stop for what feels like a week. All I can hear is rain fallin constantly.

Galway.

I'm afraid ye are in for a lot of rain in the coming days, maybe 60 or 70 mm or so up to Monday am.

6665_qvp6.png

DDsOFNM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Today and the last two weeks in general are reminding me of Nov 2009 here in Galway. Lashing rain again now, no respite. If there’s any provisions or steps people could take now to secure their premises/homes do. Can Met Éireann issue flood warnings like the U.K. do or is it just rainfall? The accumulated total of rainfall so far for Feb leads me to believe perhaps the rainfall warning structure should be remodelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Sleepless night for people in flood prone areas of Galway tonight. Absolutely horrible day with heavy rain again now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Very like 2009 alright then we got really cold weather after that.
    Hoare frost if I can recall, freezing day and night.

The place was like winter wonderland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    As a matter of fact, February's rainfall for the country as a whole, based on an 11-station grid, is already above average for Ireland and it is the wettest February since 2016 currently.

https://twitter.com/SryanBruen/status/1229035242662526977

Sick of it.

Now the wettest month of the winter as of the 18th with 141% of average rainfall and less than 20mm to go before beating 2016. I'd say that will easily go after today and maybe Friday if it doesn't today.

Recent wet Februaries in comparison including 2016.

Feb 2020 to 18th: 116.4mm
    Feb 2016: 129.3mm
    Feb 2011: 131.0mm
    Feb 2014: 191.9mm

Data via Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Carol25 wrote: »
    Today and the last two weeks in general are reminding me of Nov 2009 here in Galway. Lashing rain again now, no respite. If there’s any provisions or steps people could take now to secure their premises/homes do. Can Met Éireann issue flood warnings like the U.K. do or is it just rainfall? The accumulated total of rainfall so far for Feb leads me to believe perhaps the rainfall warning structure should be remodelled.
    The river shannon must be very high now as well with its catchment area getting all this rain,flooding must be a concern down river especially with plenty more rain on the way

Waking to the raindance on the roof. There was quietude for a while last night but back to the rain and wind now.

Today is the grocery-run so watching to see if my supplies will get over. Life out here is weather dependent.

Miss my early walks; managed to be out half a dozen times the whole winter this year whereas last year almost every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

The river shannon must be very high now as well with its catchment area getting all this rain,flooding must be a concern down river especially with plenty more rain on the way

Lough Derg very high at the moment and a lot of water to come down stream yet. Will be flooding in usual places like Clonlara next week. A lot of it could be avoided if the ESB controlled levels better. They only increased the flow through Parteen weir a few days ago.

• Advertisement

Got a break in the rain. Decided to put bin out, what does it do, start pissing on way back in - drenched. Bloody annoying. Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Snow showers in Letterkenny this morning, makes for a bit of variation from the constant rain if nothing else

Sleety mix just passed over Cratloe in Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sunny morning in cork city for the first time in quite a while. Place is saturated and won’t be dry for a long time but nice to see some blue sky. Cold biting strong wind though. Gotta get that vitamin D while we can!

Just went out for turf; which is at the gable end that faces north over the ocean ( fuel store with a view!)

That wind is as ice. Bitter and sharp edged.

Oh the small lake has soaked into the welcoming arms of the hospitable earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rain so far in Claremorris 184mm
    Markree 151mm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A nice bright morning in Castlebar which is a good break after having over 30mm of rain yesterday.

Newport is up to 201.8mm of rain now.

And it is raining again and now heavy hail!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just went out for turf; which is at the gable end that faces north over the ocean ( fuel store with a view!)

That wind is as ice. Bitter and sharp edged.

Oh the small lake has soaked into the welcoming arms of the hospitable earth.

Any geese there by the lake?

nthclare wrote: »
    Any geese there by the lake?

Not yet! There are some up the lane so maybe we can coax them down for when they start laying,, goose eggs... mmmmmmmm

• Advertisement

I think I heard a chopper overhead a while ago? Rescue somewhere?

Advertisement