Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Invidious wrote: »
    Plus, underlying health conditions is a major factor. Having conditions like type 2 diabetes increases the risk of bad outcomes with COVID-19. In the US, African Americans are 77% more likely than white people to have type 2 diabetes. Four out of five African American women are overweight or obese.

I'm sure they'll blame it on slavery instead of what they put into their mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I am not going to link this...

But a dutch woman has come up with a "gender neutral" playing card deck!

"Why are kings worth more than queens"?!!!!

Replaced with gold, silver and bronze.

Woke-ism of the year.....

Close thread.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Nokotan wrote: »
    What is to be done about the evils of chess and the almighty Queen?
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Nothing. In ChickThink land.
    Kivaro wrote: »
    Checkmate!

Wait .......... will they have to change that term now too? Maybe Checkperson?

Not quite though.
    If you lose your Queen in chess, you can play on and still win.
    However, if you lose your King, it's game over.

Carry on.

For anyone who is interested in the whole SJW/activist thingy, this video does an awesome job at covering the overall issue.

url]https://youtu.be/SNVpLTBt2Ow[/url

The research paper mentioned in the video:

"The Tendency for Interpersonal Victimhood: The Personality Construct and its Consequences"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

Have you seen “soul food”?? Fried everything and they literally say “food is love”.

It’s not a colour thing necessarily it’s a dumb thing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

For anyone who is interested in the whole SJW/activist thingy, this video does an awesome job at covering the overall issue.

URL]https://youtu.be/SNVpLTBt2Ow[/URL

The research paper mentioned in the video:

"The Tendency for Interpersonal Victimhood: The Personality Construct and its Consequences"

Thanks, their video on how to make money in RDR2 helped a bunch.

bur wrote: »
    Thanks, their video on how to make money in RDR2 helped a bunch.

I like his take on society and social change. I don't tend to follow his gaming side much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Kivaro wrote: »
    Checkmate!

Wait .......... will they have to change that term now too? Maybe Checkperson?

Check Ma'am.

Invidious wrote: »
    Plus, underlying health conditions is a major factor. Having conditions like type 2 diabetes increases the risk of bad outcomes with COVID-19. In the US, African Americans are 77% more likely than white people to have type 2 diabetes. Four out of five African American women are overweight or obese.

Isn't type 2 diabetes the one that is related to diet/exercise i.e. preventable?

I read an article about Morrison's supermarket in the UK selling food boxes for a family of 4 for £30 to cover 5 days. Absolutely brilliant product, but the comments underneath were complaining that poor people don't know how to cook.

In this day and age, with the internet, libraries, television cooking shows, Youtube etc, I think there is no excuse for people not to know how to cook. It's such a fundamental skill to surviving and making ends meet, so "not having time" is not a valid excuse either - just type "Food Prep" or "Batch Cooking" into google on your phone for starters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In this day and age, with the internet, libraries, television cooking shows, Youtube etc, I think there is no excuse for people not to know how to cook. It's such a fundamental skill to surviving and making ends meet, so "not having time" is not a valid excuse either - just type "Food Prep" or "Batch Cooking" into google on your phone for starters.
    Sure, but you're forgetting that some, quite a percentage, of people are dumb as rocks. I mean the average IQ is 100 so very roughly half are going to be under that. That's a lot of thicks. And then there's the bright, but not very capable. We all know the type, maybe are even the type :D with brains and qualifications to burn, but when faced with wiring a plug are likely to have a mental breakdown and stick the screwdriver into their eye. And then you have the lazy buggers...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Isn't type 2 diabetes the one that is related to diet/exercise i.e. preventable?

I read an article about Morrison's supermarket in the UK selling food boxes for a family of 4 for £30 to cover 5 days. Absolutely brilliant product, but the comments underneath were complaining that poor people don't know how to cook.

I don't think it is understood fully how much added sugar and salt in fast food and treats deranges the palate. They are at narcotic levels in our food streams.

Sure, but you're forgetting that some, quite a percentage, of people are dumb as rocks. I mean the average IQ is 100 so very roughly half are going to be under that. That's a lot of thicks. And then there's the bright, but not very capable. We all know the type, maybe are even the type :D with brains and qualifications to burn, but when faced with wiring a plug are likely to have a mental breakdown and stick the screwdriver into their eye. And then you have the lazy buggers...

I think it's more about the feeling that such learning takes too much time, and effort. Laziness is part of it, but so too is being busy, and the costs involved while learning. It's sometimes just easier to get a ready-cooked meal, or something convenient from the freezer.

Each time I've improved by own cooking, it's because of other reasons such as wanting to impress a date, or working with the ingredients/cuts available (I had to learn a pile of stuff when I first moved to China because most western ingredients weren't commonly available)

I find that many people will talk a lot publicly about being healthy, and then, in their own personal space, do the opposite. Personally, I'm incredibly unhealthy with my food choices. That is definitely laziness in my case.. and because doing so in China, costs so damn much. It's much cheaper to simply eat out.

Yeah but when people complain about government policy and families not being able to afford food, then essentially you are asking the taxpayers to subsidise people who can't budget, or can't be bothered learning basic cooking skills which are freely available online (for free!). That's what bothers me. At some point a little bit of Darwinism is actually a healthy thing for people, so they actually adapt and grow rather than waiting for the handouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Yeah but when people complain about government policy and families not being able to afford food, then essentially you are asking the taxpayers to subsidise people who can't budget, or can't be bothered learning basic cooking skills which are freely available online (for free!). That's what bothers me. At some point a little bit of Darwinism is actually a healthy thing for people, so they actually adapt and grow rather than waiting for the handouts.

I wonder are we collectively devolving now due to people who would normally have died off due to Darwinism being kept alive and reproducing?

I wonder are we collectively devolving now due to people who would normally have died off due to Darwinism being kept alive and reproducing?

IQs are dropping.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/iq-rates-are-dropping-many-developed-countries-doesn-t-bode-ncna1008576

I cannot say why but when one looks at the literature or art of old or the standard of letter writing or the very developed practical skills people had before perhaps we should not wonder too much. Also handwriting.
    Trains and has trained the grey matter since we marked signs in the muck with sticks - it is almost lost to our brain development now. That is fewer neuronal connections. Vocabulary is also decreasing. Teacher friends of mine say children's contextual comprehension of words has declined - some of it one puts down to less conversation with parents eg when we were kids it was obligatory to listen to your Da tell you the stories of everything and everyone when ye went for the Sunday spin to give the mother some peace. A lot is learned in those kind of interactions.

100%. Like the opening 2 minutes of Idiocracy.

The smarter people put off having kids to pursue their interests/ambitions in their 20's, then life happens and suddenly it's too late and they end up not reproducing.

Have you seen “soul food”?? Fried everything and they literally say “food is love”.

It’s not a colour thing necessarily it’s a dumb thing!!

I'm reminded of the South Park Honey Boo Boo clip, "my pacemaker scar makes me sassy y'all!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

Agree with the laziness and partly doubting ability.

I’d be the first to say I was a non-cook, could burn salad but I gave it a try and I enjoy baking and making pies.

Plus it’s a great excuse to watch Nigella!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

I think there's no excuse for basic cooking skills not being taught in schools. No one should leave second level education without being able to cook a decent omelette, fry a steak or throw together a stew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

To be fair, AA Soul Food dates back to slaves making the best they could out of undesirable foods that are sky-high in fat and calories. Fatback pork, ham hocks, chitlins etc. It was never exactly healthy but a 14 hour work day picking cotton or other back-breaking labour would have burned most of it off. Combine that diet with a modern sedentary lifestyle and you get the soaring obesity rates we see today. 48% of African Americans the last time I checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Gruffalux wrote: »
    IQs are dropping.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/iq-rates-are-dropping-many-developed-countries-doesn-t-bode-ncna1008576

I cannot say why but when one looks at the literature or art of old or the standard of letter writing or the very developed practical skills people had before perhaps we should not wonder too much. Also handwriting.
    Trains and has trained the grey matter since we marked signs in the muck with sticks - it is almost lost to our brain development now. That is fewer neuronal connections. Vocabulary is also decreasing. Teacher friends of mine say children's contextual comprehension of words has declined - some of it one puts down to less conversation with parents eg when we were kids it was obligatory to listen to your Da tell you the stories of everything and everyone when ye went for the Sunday spin to give the mother some peace. A lot is learned in those kind of interactions.

No wonder common sense is fast becoming endangered.

jaxxx wrote: »

to be fair, it's been dying out for at least two decades now.. other crusades contributed to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes, since the industrial revolution less-intelligent people are surviving childhood and reproducing surviving offspring in turn.

However Darwinism refers to any biologically maladaptive belief or behaviour.

So if you are not having children because of e.g. your belief in climate change, congratulations you are a Darwin award winner and your objectively maladaptive genes are being de-selected for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

http://arigatostudio.com/?goshop=fabulous/13784443/mum-baby-cot-jail-sleep-schedule-inhumane/

"My five-month-old has a normal single bed as cots are tiny jail cells & he sleeps when he wants, schedules are inhumane"

jaxxx wrote: »
    to be fair, it's been dying out for at least two decades now.. other crusades contributed to that.

I remember my Granny used to say shackle that lad/lassie to a plough and it will sort them out. There is truth in it. Earth people out of their airy illusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I remember my Granny used to say shackle that lad/lassie to a plough and it will sort them out. There is truth in it. Earth people out of their airy illusions.

Not quite the same thing, but.. .. .. :D

(skip to 2:13 - ends at 2:30)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Sorcha Pollak back at it again.
    “I’ve always known Ireland to be welcoming but when I saw those things happen it broke my heart. People should really show more compassion to a family who are grieving. The death of George Nkencho has really opened my eyes to what parts of Ireland are like. I have a feeling the number of racists in Ireland is beginning to grow.”

This just boils my p*ss.

Okoh believes more reporting from more black journalists on Irish radio and TV would provide audiences with a real, authentic insight into the migrant experience in this country. “I just want Irish people to know we are human beings first. I’m convinced I can contribute to the Irish economy and I’m convinced of my talents. I feel with the number of applications I’ve sent out I should be getting more opportunities. It doesn’t have to be in front of the screen. I’ll do production too. I’ll work in any role.”

It's good he's convinced of his talents. Between that and the education, there is no reason why he shouldn't get a job eventually but given the times that we are in, things of course are going to be slow. When I moved away in 08 to Holland i found it hard to get a job for first few months I was there. Same with London but yet again it's all put down to racism. Im getting sick of this now. He's only benefiting from this to suit his ego and build his image.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/i-need-to-work-twice-as-hard-to-get-a-job-in-ireland-1.4455346

It's good he's convinced of his talents. Between that and the education, there is no reason why he shouldn't get a job eventually but given the times that we are in, things of course are going to be slow. When I moved away in 08 to Holland i found it hard to get a job for first few months I was there. Same with London but yet again it's all put down to racism. Im getting sick of this now. He's only benefiting from this to suit his ego and build his image.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/i-need-to-work-twice-as-hard-to-get-a-job-in-ireland-1.4455346

What a bloody cop out - I've a B.sc and an MSc. which is highly geared to towards my field, I'd say I've applied to over 150 jobs in the last 6 months, the majority of them supposedly "entry level" and have got nothing. All that effort in all that time has netted 3 interviews of which I got none. And this is in the pharma industry which Ireland is renowned for, there are probably X10 the number of potential jobs for me than journalism gigs for him and still I've got nothing. It's not racism, it's a terrible time to be looking for everyone. You just have to dust yourself off and keep trying.

But what's my card to play? That I'm too pale, male and stale? As if anyone in the media would give a fúck about my struggle to find employment.

What a bloody cop out - I've a B.sc and an MSc. which is highly geared to towards my field, I'd say I've applied to over 150 jobs in the last 6 months, the majority of them supposedly "entry level" and have got nothing. All that effort in all that time has netted 3 interviews of which I got none. And this is in the pharma industry which Ireland is renowned for, there are probably X10 the number of potential jobs for me than journalism gigs for him and still I've got nothing. It's not racism, it's a terrible time to be looking for everyone. You just have to dust yourself off and keep trying.

But what's my card to play? That I'm too pale, male and stale? As if anyone in the media would give a fúck about my struggle to find employment.

Your post just reeks of white privilege..

• Advertisement

"“I’ve always known Ireland to be welcoming but when I saw those things happen it broke my heart. People should really show more compassion to a family who are grieving. The death of George Nkencho has really opened my eyes to what parts of Ireland are like. I have a feeling the number of racists in Ireland is beginning to grow.”"

TBH I doubt she's wrong there. When people are told that they're racist for objecting to immigration, multiculturalism, favoritism towards minorities over natives, etc.., after a while, they're just going to accept being called racist.. and not be terribly offended since everyone they know could be considered such.

Added to which the attitudes towards many immigrants will factor into this. Migrants are judged by the collective behavior. This is the case for expats all around the world. If a series of migrants behave badly, breaking laws, or such, then the collective group will gain a negative reputation. Same with if large percentages of that group are ending up on welfare, and still moaning about racism, then they're going to give a nasty reputation to the overall group of "foreigners" or "migrants" as a whole. Stereotypes are a sign of racism, and yet, stereotypes are commonly used by all nationalities worldwide.

I've seen this happen in a variety of countries that I've lived in. It's only western nations that are supposed to be different, and yet, nobody has really asked normal people whether they want to be different. Instead, it's simply assumed.

I'll honestly say that over the last decade my patience with other racial groups (as immigrants) has been eroded by all manner of personal experiences (when I've returned home), or from conversations with family/friends.

So, are Irish people becoming racist? Yup.. I'd imagine many are. Especially, when the scope of what consists of racism, is so damn broad these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement