Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

biko wrote: »
    It has become an industry now.
    You just needed enough people to profit from calling Ireland a racist nation for it to start.
    Now they sell books and talks to address an issue that wasn't there only some years ago.

"There’s gold in them thar hills" ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

I’ve a very close family member who is gay and he has been to Cape Town. It’s one of the most LGBT friendly and welcoming places he and his partner have been to.

I don’t buy the story I’m afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

That is a failed asylum seeker who has just been offered a Ph.D. in grievance studies at a well-to-do Irish university, that's as useful as cake in a crisis, something that will not benefit the taxpayer nor add to our economy but of course paid for by the horrible hard-working decent Irish.

I would not be surprised given the amount of coverage this man has been given that when he completes his Ph.D. he will no doubt be in the IT stating that he can't get a job because of the inhumane system which afforded him the opportunity to do his Masters and now a Doctorate all while being a failed asylum seeker. because of racism.

Ebun better watch her corner of the market

Begrudgery personified.

I say fair phucks to him. No one else has any notion of what Buleni McFaco has been through in his life. As it stands he has made a successful application to take part in a PhD which he patently has some first hand experience of. I think it is a win for him and a win for the university. How many asylum seekers are in a position to carry out such a study?

There are lots of wishy washy courses that get orchestrated at PhD level. They exist and it is what academia is about. Universities have budgets - he obviously fits into theirs. The concept that his study is somehow going to be a burden on the Irish taxpayer is complete garbage in the grand scale of things. The argument that his study is futile is a different debate, but begrudging him his future is not fair. He made the application, he gets the course. After that you can kiss his South African ass, it probably deserves it.

Speculating on what he might do when his studies are finished is frankly none of anyone else's business. The system is there, he is entitled to play it as he sees fit. No one is entitled to pass judgement on how he gets on, why does anyone care less, it is his future, his life and his PhD?

To clarify - his application for asylum has not been accepted, so anyone barking up the wrong tree on that matter need to check themselves I think? There is no point speculating on LGTBQ rights in South Africa in the meantime. Somebody somewhere in Irish Emmigration gave him a chance, I don't get what is " woke " about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Mfaco grew up in Khayelitsha in Cape Town.
    He has a degree in politics and public administration from the University of the Western Cape.

He applied for a scholarship for a master degree in University College Dublin and moved to Ireland in 2015.
    Mfaco applied for asylum in Ireland after completing his masters in 2017.

I don't doubt life as a gay man in SA can be hard but tbh it doesn't seem to warrant refugee status.
    Khayelitsha is very poor though.

OK, so he came here as a non-EU student, like many others, ok.

So he lived here while doing a course, okay, on a student visa.

Then, many months after arriving, he applies for asylum.

So it is 100% clear that he is not fleeing persecution, as he lives here already.

He is clearly not a refugee.

He is clearly a bogus asylum-seeker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Begrudgery personified.

I say fair phucks to him. No one else has any notion of what Buleni McFaco has been through in his life. As it stands he has made a successful application to take part in a PhD which he patently has some first hand experience of. I think it is a win for him and a win for the university. How many asylum seekers are in a position to carry out such a study?

There are lots of wishy washy courses that get orchestrated at PhD level. They exist and it is what academia is about. Universities have budgets - he obviously fits into theirs. The concept that his study is somehow going to be a burden on the Irish taxpayer is complete garbage in the grand scale of things. The argument that his study is futile is a different debate, but begrudging him his future is not fair. He made the application, he gets the course. After that you can kiss his South African ass, it probably deserves it.

Speculating on what he might do when his studies are finished is frankly none of anyone else's business. The system is there, he is entitled to play it as he sees fit. No one is entitled to pass judgement on how he gets on, why does anyone care less, it is his future, his life and his PhD?

To clarify - his application for asylum has not been accepted, so anyone barking up the wrong tree on that matter need to check themselves I think? There is no point speculating on LGTBQ rights in South Africa in the meantime. Somebody somewhere in Irish Emmigration gave him a chance, I don't get what is " woke " about that.

He is a failed asylum seeker. A liar and a cheat and want that rewarded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Biker79 wrote: »
    Just another mechanism by which the Woke continue their assault on language.

By putting words in inverted commas, he creates the idea that words are interpreted subjectively. You might have an idea of what it means, that you know is true because the majority are in agreement on this, but he and others know it means something else.

It creates doubt in the mind of the reader, whether what they hold to be true is actually true or not.

Ultimately ( or long before then ) they, of course, are peddling rubbish. There is only objective truth in the search for meaning and order because several billion subjective truths is a recipe for complete chaos.

You can be sure they haven't examined their habits this rigorously though because feelings come first with the Woke.

Care to respond to this, "Emmaspiceland "? I won't hold my breath.

Respond to what? Some bizarre, and somewhat “unhinged”, rant? Wouldn’t know where to start there, if I’m honest, B.

I will say this, I find it incredibly ironic that the "facts and logic" brigade are the ones giving out about feelings when they, themselves, spend their days bitching and moaning about shíte on the internet.

Also, and this is very important, please don’t misgender me. It’s Emmet, not Emma. I am a cis whyte male, my “preferred” pronouns are on display in my signature.
    It has become an industry now.
    You just needed enough people to profit from calling Ireland a racist nation for it to start.
    Now they sell books and talks to address an issue that wasn't there only some years ago.

What was it like when you arrived over, B?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I am a cis whyte male

What in Christ's name is this new gimmick?

I will say this, I find it incredibly ironic that the "facts and logic" brigade are the ones giving out about feelings when they, themselves, spend their days bitching and moaning about shíte on the internet.

Also, and this is very important, please don’t misgender me. It’s Emmet, not Emma. I am a cis whyte male, my “preferred” pronouns are on display in my signature.

Your type often do find things like that "ironic".

People going onto a forum to discuss and lampoon idiots who subscribe to "wokeness" and to vent our frustration at "feelings" mattering ahead of facts, may come across as bitching and moaning to people who expect to be referred to as whatever pronoun they "prefer".

Its not.

What is "ironic" is you accusing others of bitching and moaning.

Geuze wrote: »

So it is 100% clear that he is not fleeing persecution, as he lives here already.

He is clearly not a refugee.

He is clearly a bogus asylum-seeker.

In fairness you are entitled to your opinion on these matters, but you cannot categorically say that you are fully aware of his plight. 100% is a fairly sweeping assumption on anything?

What gives you the right to become the authority on South African domestic feeling and emotion towards homosexuals? I understand that the leafy suburbs of Capetown can sometimes be a long way from the sweaty townships of Durban or Johannesburg?

What qualifies any application for asylum as being bogus? What qualifies anyone else to chastise that application? The last time I looked Ireland has an immigration authority and system in place to deal with such applications. So far he has not received or been awarded asylum? The judgement on his application is up to Irish immigration, it is certainly not up to the judgement of anyone posting here?

The fact that a Dublin University has offered him a PhD is a completely separate matter.

I will reiterate my sentiment - there is clearly nothing " woke " about a foreign national being offered the opportunity to study anything in this country? Furthermore I find anyone implying that the study or course is somehow undeserved or a fudge as having a more sinister accusation all in all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Cordell

Anyone remembers that time when PhDs actually meant something, when they involved real research and advancements in their academic filed?

• Advertisement

He is a failed asylum seeker. A liar and a cheat and want that rewarded?

How do you know?

What makes you so sure that he is a liar or a cheat?

What is woke about someone being awarded the opportunity to study a PhD?

I will reiterate my sentiment - there is clearly nothing " woke " about a foreign national being offered the opportunity to study anything in this country? Furthermore I find anyone implying that the study or course is somehow undeserved or a fudge as having a more sinister accusation all in all?

The problem is that Asylum should be related to people who are in genuine threat to their lives, and have been displaced as a result of those threats. There is always going to be a limit on applications accepted that any nation can manage, due to the resources available, and typically the needs of the Asylum seekers.

Which means that we should be giving Asylum to those who are genuinely in need of Asylum. Considering that giving Asylum is not a short term endeavor, since the refugee will require financial and other supports, this reinforces the factor that only a limited number of such refugees could be accepted.

So, you have a choice. Do you give asylum to a man who is gay, and has a Masters degree, which means he can legally immigrate to any number of countries throughout the world... or do you keep the position open to someone more in need?

While South Africa isn't a great place for homosexuals, he has many options to migrate to other countries nearby ( 25 most friendly countries to gay people, and while many of them are western nations, many aren't.)

I wouldn't see this as a valid need for Asylum because he's not a group under threat of death, and he has options for living elsewhere. He's looking for a country to subsidize him. Ireland with a welfare state fits the bill.

The problem is that Asylum should be related to people who are in genuine threat to their lives, and have been displaced as a result of those threats. There is always going to be a limit on applications accepted that any nation can manage, due to the resources available, and typically the needs of the Asylum seekers.

Which means that we should be giving Asylum to those who are genuinely in need of Asylum. Considering that giving Asylum is not a short term endeavor, since the refugee will require financial and other supports, this reinforces the factor that only a limited number of such refugees could be accepted.

So, you have a choice. Do you give asylum to a man who is gay, and has a Masters degree, which means he can legally immigrate to any number of countries throughout the world... or do you keep the position open to someone more in need?

While South Africa isn't a great place for homosexuals, he has many options to migrate to other countries nearby ( 25 most friendly countries to gay people, and while many of them are western nations, many aren't.)

I wouldn't see this as a valid need for Asylum because he's not a group under threat of death, and he has options for living elsewhere. He's looking for a country to subsidize him. Ireland with a welfare state fits the bill.

With all due respect Klaz that is a entirely separate debate. This thread is a about wokeness and wokisms. It is not and I would hope should not capitulate into an overall debate on aslyum applications? Start another thread and knock yourself out.

There is nothing woke about a foreign national being awarded a PhD in Ireland. Whilst I accept that the course study is potentially tenuous when contrasted with his asylum application I also feel that there is possibly a great benefit in such a person undertaking such a study? Either way it does not warrant being chastised or ridiculed like a woke item might?

I will reiterate - I find it sinister at this point anyone attempting to ridicule the actions of Mr McFaco - there is certainly nothing woke going on. His desire to seek asylum is no one elses' business. His application is subject to the investigation of Irish immigration - it is not subject to anyone else.

What is woke about someone being awarded the opportunity to study a PhD?

Honestly, I've looked a few times at doing a PHD, and been put off by the costs involved. They're bloody expensive. Unless you can get some form of scholarship.. which tend to be handed out to minority groups or women.

For me, as a white man, there are extremely few scholarships or grants available for a PHD. For white women, there are more options, but they still pale in comparison to that of minorities or other racial groups.

So, I'd consider the woke aspect being the favoritism given to minorities in gaining scholarships for programs which many "normal" people couldn't afford, and the expectation for this guy to get the support to do a PHD paid by the Irish taxpayer. (not just the supports to do a PHD, but likely his living expenses paid for as well, with little guarantee that there will be a return on that investment)

I will reiterate - I find it sinister at this point anyone attempting to ridicule the actions of Mr McFaco - there is certainly nothing woke going on. His desire to seek asylum is no one elses' business. His application is subject to the investigation of Irish immigration - it is not subject to anyone else.

So, basically, you've decided that this isn't relevant to the thread. Grand. So, why are you talking about it?

As for your need to find the discussion sinister... that sounds very woke to me. :D

Honestly, I've looked a few times at doing a PHD, and been put off by the costs involved. They're bloody expensive. Unless you can get some form of scholarship.. which tend to be handed out to minority groups or women.

For me, as a white man, there are extremely few scholarships or grants available for a PHD. For white women, there are more options, but they still pale in comparison to that of minorities or other racial groups.

So, I'd consider the woke aspect being the favoritism given to minorities in gaining scholarships for programs which many "normal" people couldn't afford, and the expectation for this guy to get the support to do a PHD paid by the Irish taxpayer. (not just the supports to do a PHD, but likely his living expenses paid for as well, with little guarantee that there will be a return on that investment)

Well you are patently and sincerely wrong there. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the university awarding him the opportunity to undergo a study on modern Irish immigration and its' parameters, laws, social attitude etc etc etc. Absolutely nothing.

In fact any suggestion that the PhD is undeserved would indicate to me a more sinister and unbalanced attitude towards foreign nationals being awarded the opportunity. I am calling it out as begrudgery for the moment......

I am ignoring the fact that you are sharing you ethnicity with everyone for the moment - I don't understand how you are reconciling that to Mr McFaco asylum application either? It has no relevance to anyone else's application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Cordell wrote: »
    Anyone remembers that time when PhDs actually meant something when they involved real research and advancements in their academic filed?

Rise of the Midwit.

So, basically, you've decided that this isn't relevant to the thread. Grand. So, why are you talking about it?

As for your need to find the discussion sinister... that sounds very woke to me. :D

Disguising your own inept opinions behind vague begrudgery of a foreign national being awarded a PhD speaks volumes about your own lack of tenacity in absolving your own failings in recognising the rights of other persons.

In particular lurking around a thread dedicated to ripping the piss out of political correctness gone mad whilst simultaneously masking your own persecutions on foreigners is yes indeed sincerely sinister.

Add emoji as required -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Cordell wrote: »
    Anyone remembers that time when PhDs actually meant something, when they involved real research and advancements in their academic filed?

Hard sciences excepted, nobody younger than sixty will be able to answer that question in the affirmative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What qualifies any application for asylum as being bogus? What qualifies anyone else to chastise that application?

Genuinely fleeing real, actual persecution would be a start.

We know that half of AS arrive from the UK, therefore we know they are all bogus.

We know that once many AS get refugee status, or leave-to-remain, they return to where they came from, for a visit or holiday.

This means they are bogus.

We know many Asian men falsely claimed asylum here, and entered into sham marriage with eastern European women - all published in media, all documented.

We know the Georgians and Albanians AS tear up their documents on the aircraft, all published, all known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Cordell

Nermal wrote: »
    Hard sciences excepted, nobody younger than sixty will be able to answer that question in the affirmative.

God help us and keep this woke BS out of the science field, or so pretty soon there will be PhDs like "intersectional black queer feminism applied on decolonized quantum physics"

Geuze wrote: »
    Genuinely fleeing real, actual persecution would be a start.

We know that half of AS arrive from the UK, therefore we know they are all bogus.

We know that once many AS get refugee status, or leave-to-remain, they return to where they came from, for a visit or holiday.

This means they are bogus.

We know many Asian men falsely claimed asylum here, and entered into sham marriage with eastern European women - all published in media, all documented.

We know the Georgians and Albanians AS tear up their documents on the aircraft, all published, all known.

Nothing woke about foreign nationals playing a system to get where they want? Nothing whatsoever.

Implying that their actions are corrupt is certainly begrudgery and essentially bordering on some form of deflection of tolerance to foreign emigration - which is frankly sinister in my opinion. Eitherways .. it is a separate debate for a separate topic.

This thread is about taking the piss out of wokisms and having a laugh at political correctness gone mad. It is not an opportuinity for domesticated nationals to vent anger or frustration at their indifference to foreign nationals looking to get on with their lives here, illegally or otherwise.

Disguising your own inept opinions behind vague begrudgery of a foreign national being awarded a PhD speaks volumes about your own lack of tenacity in absolving your own failings in recognising the rights of other persons.

Now... hold on here. There is no call for this kind of language. Nothing in what I wrote was offensive to you or the asylum seeker. And where are you getting all these assumptions from?
    In particular lurking around a thread dedicated to ripping the piss out of political correctness gone mad whilst simultaneously masking your own persecutions on foreigners is yes indeed sincerely sinister.

Add emoji as required -

Lurking? I have quite a few posts to the thread, so I think you need to reconsider your definition of lurking.

Care to point out my persecutions of foreigners? Yeah. You won't find them. Oh, admittedly, I don't agree with an open door policy, and I do favor a more pragmatic approach to immigration, placing a greater degree of consideration for the native people, but you won't find me persecuting anybody.

Well done. You have just done the perfect job of showing the woke attitude. Become aggressive, insulting and make **** up, when faced with opposition.

I find your attitude and intolerance of differing opinions rather sinister. :rolleyes: (Yup, I like my Emojis)

Well you are patently and sincerely wrong there. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the university awarding him the opportunity to undergo a study on modern Irish immigration and its' parameters, laws, social attitude etc etc etc. Absolutely nothing.

Sure, keep telling yourself that. I disagree.
    In fact any suggestion that the PhD is undeserved would indicate to me a more sinister and unbalanced attitude towards foreign nationals being awarded the opportunity. I am calling it out as begrudgery for the moment......

I am ignoring the fact that you are sharing you ethnicity with everyone for the moment - I don't understand how you are reconciling that to Mr McFaco asylum application either? It has no relevance to anyone else's application.

You're ignoring more than that... but sure. Forget it. I have zero interest in taking your abuse, or crude insinuations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nothing woke about foreign nationals playing a system to get where they want? Nothing whatsoever.

Implying that their actions are corrupt is certainly begrudgery and essentially bordering on some form of deflection of tolerance to foreign emigration - which is frankly sinister in my opinion. Eitherways .. it is a separate debate for a separate topic.

This thread is about taking the piss out of wokisms and having a laugh at political correctness gone mad. It is not an opportuinity for domesticated nationals to vent anger or frustration at their indifference to foreign nationals looking to get on with their lives here, illegally or otherwise.
    We got ya; chancers grand, sure they're only playing the system. The fact that some chancers get more leeway than others based on identity politics makes the matter quite the "woke" one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

MOD

klaz & IAMAMORON
    put yourselves on ignore if you can't agree to disagree

Wibbs wrote: »
    We got ya; chancers grand, sure they're only playing the system. The fact that some chancers get more leeway than others based on identity politics makes the matter quite the "woke" one.

It still has nothing to do with wokeness or anything like it.

At least have the honesty to admit that criticism of the awarding of his PhD is thinly veiled and disguised begrudgery ... at best.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    MOD

klaz & IAMAMORON
    put yourselves on ignore if you can't agree to disagree

Okie dokie. Will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Begrudging someone a PHD in grievance studies. So much woke there it's hard to measure.

Where's "Emma"? She (her/it/cis etc ) will be able to untangle this one.

• Advertisement

It still has nothing to do with wokeness or anything like it.

At least have the honesty to admit that criticism of the awarding of his PhD is thinly veiled and disguised begrudgery ... at best.

Thinly veiled accusations of racism where none exists? Now that's woke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement