Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Indeed, here's a modern day feminist in action

539812.jpg

So she’s a feminist but she’s okay with a woman having seven bells kicked out of her because she doesn’t sign up to the same far fetched ideology as she does ?

Some feminist! “Infiltrating” ?? Wouldn’t that be men who want to be women and not women themselves ???

I'm leaving this here as I've made my point and you seme to be unable to undertsand the phrase "hypothetical situation".

Nope. I can understand it perfectly well... the reason I'm not agreeing with you is because you're using it as a tool to cast a judgment over posters on this thread, excluding yourself from the same standards.
    Not if this thread is anything to go by - and elsewhere I've seeb people automatically grown and take the contrary viewpoint without thinking.

Ahh well... boards is a discussion board. People come here to argue.
    Now, are you automatically victim-blaming here or saying this is only true in some situations?

It's not victim blaming... It's pointing out that there are benefits in today's society for claiming to be a victim. And of course it's only true in some situations.

The mere fact that you asked that shows the influence of woke/PC in society. There was a time, not that long ago, when people would assume that it was a generalisation, and not to be assigned to every situation. Those days are apparently gone.
    You seem to think I'm taking a side here - I'm not. I'm not dismissing anything. I'm neitehr woke nor anti-woke. I take each incident on its own merit, research and decide for myself.

I'm looking at your posts.. and yes, I do think you take sides. Most people do.
    You dismess woke as "nonsense" - are you're trying to tell me this is "balanced" and "informed"? I'd agree a substantial protion of it is, but I'd still read the opinion beforehand.

I dismiss woke as nonsense because I don't see it as being a legitimate expression of social change to address the injustices in the world. I see it as an aggressive extension of internet personalities, into the real world, with serious downsides.

Again, I don't see this as being a black/white scenario. All opinions and information received will be thought-over, and judged on the evidence and the agendas at play.
    (Or are you saying woke and social injsutcie reporting are two different things, in which case, fair enough)

Nope. I see woke and SJW as being the same thing. Reporting of discrimination and other issues, should be taken in and addressed through the established official channels, and not through the woke movements. We have established systems coinciding with legal rights, and legal protections that allow us to claim against discrimination and other problems. It's not as if people are living in the 60s anymore.
    But my point remains: there are a large number of people on both sides of rhe debate that only enter into the arguments with an absense of informed thought and hysteria. And I'm going to keep saying that until peopleactually read it and stop implying that I'm propmoting woke.

I'm not disagreeing with you on this point. There are such people. There's also people who oppose the woke movement on valid grounds. Just as there's legitimate concerns raised by woke activists. I just don't appreciate the 'toxic' attitudes, the condemnation, and cancel culture that tends to go along with it.

As for you promoting woke sentiments, I dunno. I haven't made such a claim. I do see you arguing on the behalf of wokeness on this thread, but that's not the same thing as promoting woke issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Saw a movie called “promising young woman “ last night, it’s actually brilliant, the metoo will be claiming it as their own but it’s a very good movie

Saw a movie called “promising young woman “ last night, it’s actually brilliant, the metoo will be claiming it as their own but it’s a very good movie

Just read the plot - that’s classed a comedy ??? Yikes!!!

Just read the plot - that’s classed a comedy ??? Yikes!!!

It’s like they’re promoting it to be a basic revenge flick but it’s so much more

• Advertisement

It’s like they’re promoting it to be a basic revenge flick but it’s so much more

Was it good ?

Was it good ?

It’s very good

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The ultimate in part wokery part closing your eyes and hoping it all goes away....

Woman attacked by three teenagers with knives in Balbriggan. Sees them close up; hears them say (in her words) “run, blood”. Yet there’s no physical description from Gardaí.

Pathetic. It’s not racism to report that three black teenagers attacked a woman.

Dr. Ebun Joseph would disagree.

Dr. Ebun Joseph would disagree.

I would hope so, I’ll sit more comfortably knowing I disagree with her!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Here is a wokism for you

Recycling is a bad thing .....you need to stop making so much plastic instead.

We have more plastic than ever in the world and no one asks why with all this recycling.

Basically you can only recycle things twice ....then the plastic degrades ...so it has to be dumped.

Recycling was plastic companies answer so they could keep making plastic.

But it hasn't reduced the amount of plastic in the ocean....because we recycle plastic twice and most...then it has to be dumped.

But no laws are passed banning plastic altogether and people still think recycling plastic is a real thing. Its a scam.

We need to stop making plastic ..or at least so much of it.

Its just a by product of oil companies anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nope. I can understand it perfectly well... the reason I'm not agreeing with you is because you're using it as a tool to cast a judgment over posters on this thread, excluding yourself from the same standards.

Forming opinoin of rather than judging, but yes.
    Ahh well... boards is a discussion board. People come here to argue.
    Yep.
    It's not victim blaming... It's pointing out that there are benefits in today's society for claiming to be a victim. And of course it's only true in some situations.

The mere fact that you asked that shows the influence of woke/PC in society. There was a time, not that long ago, when people would assume that it was a generalisation, and not to be assigned to every situation. Those days are apparently gone.

You said, "minority groups are seen as victims"; my point, "sometimes the are victims."
    I'm looking at your posts.. and yes, I do think you take sides. Most people do.
    With individual posts, yes - THAT'S my point. I research THEN take a side. How many times do I have to say this?

You can't possibly be saying I take one side and maintain it all the way through...?

The breastfeeding guy was woke and that's just the last one I can remember. I tend not to start debates when I actually agree with the poster!
    I dismiss woke as nonsense because I don't see it as being a legitimate expression of social change to address the injustices in the world. I see it as an aggressive extension of internet personalities, into the real world, with serious downsides.

Again, I don't see this as being a black/white scenario. All opinions and information received will be thought-over, and judged on the evidence and the agendas at play.

Nope. I see woke and SJW as being the same thing. Reporting of discrimination and other issues, should be taken in and addressed through the established official channels, and not through the woke movements. We have established systems coinciding with legal rights, and legal protections that allow us to claim against discrimination and other problems. It's not as if people are living in the 60s anymore.

Fair enough - msot of your points I'd totally agree with with regard to SJWs.

But again - sometimes it's not woke/PC/social justice/inclusion - take the Lotto guy on RTE. As I said at the time, automatically assuming it was a minorty appointment is just as bad as demanding one.
    I'm not disagreeing with you on this point. There are such people. There's also people who oppose the woke movement on valid grounds. Just as there's legitimate concerns raised by woke activists. I just don't appreciate the 'toxic' attitudes, the condemnation, and cancel culture that tends to go along with it.

As for you promoting woke sentiments, I dunno. I haven't made such a claim. I do see you arguing on the behalf of wokeness on this thread, but that's not the same thing as promoting woke issues.

So we agree on the crux of my point? After all that?! :D

Thinking ths would be a good note on which to leave it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

539812.jpg

That’s honestly bonkers. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

539812.jpg
    That is terribly depressing. What is wrong with these people. How can they not see how insane and dangerous this is?

Here is a wokism for you

Recycling is a bad thing .....you need to stop making so much plastic instead.

We have more plastic than ever in the world and no one asks why with all this recycling.

Basically you can only recycle things twice ....then the plastic degrades ...so it has to be dumped.

Recycling was plastic companies answer so they could keep making plastic.

But it hasn't reduced the amount of plastic in the ocean....because we recycle plastic twice and most...then it has to be dumped.

But no laws are passed banning plastic altogether and people still think recycling plastic is a real thing. Its a scam.

We need to stop making plastic ..or at least so much of it.

Its just a by product of oil companies anyway.
    Turn it into fuel, at least then it can be incinerated in a controlled environment with minimal emissions, unpopular but better than the alternatives.

As has already been said by many, make fewer plastic & disposable products in the first place.

Not sure how it is wokism?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not sure how it is wokism?

Saving the planet is, generally, considered “woke”.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Saving the planet is, generally, considered “woke”.
    Or, thinking you're saving the planet, while actually having very little impact on things, same as the whole 'personal carbon footprint' farce

One Urban Dictionary contributor defines woke as “being aware of the truth behind things 'the man' doesn't want you to know”. Meanwhile, a concurrent definition signals a shift in meaning to “the act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue”

https://twitter.com/andrwfhenderson/status/1187386101960454146

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

ingalway wrote: »

The sin was a national newspaper or *any* media daring to review a book that does not align 100% with the theory.
    Trans activists, a lot of who are <woke> extremists, have tried hounding every author that challenges them or any author who may have asked questions out of existence.
    Methinks they protest too much.
    Reminds me of the current campaign to 'ban' Andy Ngo's book about 'Antifa' - both groups of book banning/burning loving extremists are from the same camp - critical theory/<wokeness>

Attempting the 'a book review needs to be deleted due to rules and regulations' angle is a new one, even for these utter loopers. If you read the entire diatribe - the statement of complaint not the book being reviewed - well done you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I sincerely hope the Independent email them back telling them to "f*ck off and get a serious dose of reality". Stop forcing this sh*t on kids. Let kids be kids, then they can make up their own minds when they're adults! Just cos your lad's more feminine or your girl's more masculine is no reason to jump on the trans bandwagon. FFS.

The sin was a national newspaper or *any* media daring to review a book that does not align 100% with the theory.
    Trans activists, a lot of who are <woke> extremists, have tried hounding every author that challenges them or any author who may have asked questions out of existence.
    Methinks they protest too much.
    Reminds me of the current campaign to 'ban' Andy Ngo's book about 'Antifa' - both groups of book banning/burning loving extremists are from the same camp - critical theory/<wokeness>

Attempting the 'a book review needs to be deleted due to rules and regulations' angle is a new one, even for these utter loopers. If you read the entire diatribe - the statement of complaint not the book being reviewed - well done you!
    Basically fascism in other words.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

There is someone on Twitter called Barry Pierce offering to give people Madeleine Keane's personal email address so she can be harrassed for sanctioning publication of the review.

https://twitter.com/JammersMinde/status/1350897207017414659?s=19

Gruffalux wrote: »
    There is someone on Twitter called Barry Pierce offering to give people Madeleine Keane's personal email address so she can be harrassed for sanctioning publication of the review.

Disgusting. So long freedom of speech, it was nice knowing you. Now if we don't subscribe to these kinds of so-called "progressive" doctrine, it's basically open season? The hypocrisy is unreal.

That lads email is literally available on google :pac:

Who knew the world of irish book reviews was so fraught with rivilary.......looks to me,he's agitating to remove a professional rival through cancel culture and fake outrage
    I just whoogled the name.
    A book reviewer no less!

Oh, the kindness isn't deeper than a quick scratch beneath the surface.

That lads email is literally available on google :pac:

Who knew the world of irish book reviews was so fraught with rivilary.......looks to me,he's agitating to remove a professional rival through cancel culture and fake outrage

It is mostly (for me) the thought process I find offensive. The bitchy petty animus that reacts in such a nasty manner. It is a very emasculated methodology - can he or the trans "writers" union not call upon their mighty pens and talent to attempt to answer the arguments put forth in that to which they object? It seems not. As in so many arenas now the wits are thrown aside in favour of egging on or facilitating public bullying, silencing and intimidation. It is the refuge of the incapable.

It is mostly (for me) the thought process I find offensive. The bitchy petty animus that reacts in such a nasty manner. It is a very emasculated methodology - can he or the trans "writers" union not call upon their mighty pens and talent to attempt to answer the arguments put forth in that to which they object? It seems not. As in so many arenas now the wits are thrown aside in favour of egging on or facilitating public bullying, silencing and intimidation. It is the refuge of the incapable.

looks to me,at first glance,he's stirring the pot to his own benefit here

On one hand,you have admire people machiavellian streak.....great to see folks tearing lumps outta each other,its great interneting

Though on other hand the clap back and tide out on him will be brutal :pac: ....i kinda love to see people at each others throats over random stuff when im bored :D

Forming opinoin of rather than judging, but yes.

Same thing in this case.
    You said, "minority groups are seen as victims"; my point, "sometimes the are victims."

Perception is important... associations emerge over time.
    With individual posts, yes - THAT'S my point. I research THEN take a side. How many times do I have to say this?

Say it as many times as you wish.. I'll deal with what I've quoted.
    You can't possibly be saying I take one side and maintain it all the way through...?

Nope.. since I didn't say that.
    Fair enough - msot of your points I'd totally agree with with regard to SJWs.

But again - sometimes it's not woke/PC/social justice/inclusion - take the Lotto guy on RTE. As I said at the time, automatically assuming it was a minorty appointment is just as bad as demanding one.

I don't think it is. As I said before, considering the demographics of Ireland, and the competition within Irish media for the spotlight, it's surprising that we're seeing such diversity on prime spots. It's, somewhat, different with the Black woman on nationwide, since she's been on a wide variety of shows for quite some time now.

The feeling that there's more than talent going on is reinforced by the amount of airtime racial diversity, and multiculturalism is receiving on RTE. There appears to have been a lot this year (2020).
    So we agree on the crux of my point? After all that?! :D

Thinking ths would be a good note on which to leave it.

Sure. I don't mind. I tend to lose track of a discussion after a while, simply dealing with the last quoted piece. At this stage, I'm not completely sure as to what was the original objection. :D

looks to me,at first glance,he's stirring the pot to his own benefit here

On one hand,you have admire people machiavellian streak.....great to see folks tearing lumps outta each other,its great interneting

Though the clap back and tide out on him will be brutal :pac: ....i kinda love to see people at each others throats over random stuff when im bored :D

Given that he would know full well that the radical trans activist's tend to attract a crowd who regularly besiege those not in lockstep with threats to rape terfs to death or choke them on their girl dick or hope they die in a grease fire etc I am not inclined to find a chap offering to share a woman's personal email address to such a crowd so benign or amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don’t get it. What are they afraid of? If the book is so bad, do they think the Irish public are too thick as mince to realise that and that we must be saved from ourselves?

• Advertisement

Given that he would know full well that the radical trans activist's tend to attract a crowd who regularly besiege those not in lockstep with threats to rape terfs to death or choke them on their girl dick or hope they die in a grease fire etc I am not inclined to find a chap offering to share a woman's personal email address to such a crowd so benign or amusing.

WTF

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement