Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-03-2019, 12:10   #46
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enbalmer View Post
Not by people on boards they can't
i suspect that claim was never made so it's just a straw man.

i'm bemused by your comment that buses seem to 'be full of people wielding bus passes' are less efficient than cars. for a bus to be a less efficient use of road space than an average private car, it has to have less than two passengers on board.
Advertisement
01-03-2019, 12:11   #47
Qrt

Quote:
And cyclists can piss off too..they whinge looking for cycle lanes all over the city then refuse to use the bloody things once they're built.
If I used most of the cycle lanes where I live, I’d be long dead. So I think I’ll use them with caution until they’re actually done right.
01-03-2019, 12:11   #48
Idbatterim

Quote:
41% Income tax for the last 26 years says otherwise.
I think quoting the marginal rate of over 50% is even more stark! Doesn’t matter whether they call it income tax or tooth fairy tax. Fifty percent thieves off at the laughably low marginal rate by those rats!
01-03-2019, 12:37   #49
sharper

Quote:
You think busses full of people wielding bus passes is an efficient use of resources?
https://humantransit.org/2012/09/the...verything.html

The next time you're sitting in traffic think about what it would be like if even if 50 people in front of you got on a bus instead. When you're waiting behind a bus or see a bus passing by in the bus lane imagine what it would be like for traffic if those 100 people each got into their own car instead.

You absolutely can drive your own car but it's the least efficient form of transport and should always be lower priority when space is limited.
01-03-2019, 12:40   #50
Amirani

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChienMefiant View Post
You didn't pay for the road infrastructure.
They also haven't paid the full cost of their pollution.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-03-2019, 14:00   #51
The Enbalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idbatterim View Post
How much do motorists contribute to the exchequer and how much is spent on road building and maintenance each year?
What do cyclists contribute?

Absolutely nothing..they don't have to have insurance or have to pass any kind of test yet they demand the lions share of transport ugrades so they can refuse to use it,citing that cycle lanes are "too dangerous" .
Thanks from:
01-03-2019, 14:05   #52
The Enbalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
i'm bemused by your comment that buses seem to 'be full of people wielding bus passes' are less efficient than cars.
What i'm saying is that bus revenue is being eaten up by freeloaders who aren't paying their way.
I'm not referring to people with OAP passes who have at least earned a bit of leeway,i'm referring to junkies and professional dole scroungers..they use the bus multiple times a day to and from their drug connections in the city centre.

An annual bus ticket for a working stiff costs 1000 euro so the free pass must be costing at least that to the taxpayer per junkie.
Thanks from:
01-03-2019, 14:11   #53
magicbastarder

Quote:
yet they demand the lions share of transport ugrades
oh my sides.
they're proposing spending €600m on a single road in galway, for cars. if cyclists got a fraction of that, we'd be delighted.
cyclists are asking for - well, active transport activists are asking for - 10% of transport budget to be spent on walking and cycling. that's not the lions share, unless you're being creative with language.
01-03-2019, 14:13   #54
The Enbalmer

Quote:
oh my sides.
they're proposing spending €600m on a single road in galway, for cars. if cyclists got a fraction of that, we'd be delighted.
cyclists are asking for - well, active transport activists are asking for - 10% of transport budget to be spent on walking and cycling. that's not the lions share, unless you're being creative with language.
And what are cyclists contributing to get ANY of this money they're demanding? I know you argue the semantics of "road tax" or "motor tax" but whatever it's called,cyclists dont pay ANY of it.
Advertisement
01-03-2019, 14:14   #55
magicbastarder

Quote:
What do cyclists contribute?
i first started paying tax in 1991, and have paid my tax in full without break since 1998. i own and drive a car too, so pay motor tax, insurance, NCT, yadda yadda, so fully expect that i should be provided with safe and sensible cycling facilities.
even when it means that despite the government having taken quite a bit of money off me, i am asking to be provided with a less expensive and less damaging option than driving, i am being told i am asking too much.
01-03-2019, 14:15   #56
magicbastarder

Quote:
I know you argue the semantics of "road tax" or "motor tax" but whatever it's called,cyclists dont pay ANY of it.
i renewed my road tax a few months ago.
80%+ of cyclists drive. we're bone tired of hearing this stupid argument.
01-03-2019, 14:19   #57
biggebruv

Buses are ridiculous imo over an hour to get from Connolly to Claire hall sometimes is laughable

I also really wish they would make the leap card thing mandatory because when school kids hop on sorting change or not giving enough is so annoying that in itself can take upto over 5mins sometimes.

At least with the leap card it’s either you have enough on the card or F off
(2) thanks from:
01-03-2019, 14:56   #58
The Enbalmer

Quote:
80%+ of cyclists drive. we're bone tired of hearing this stupid argument.

80%? Have you got a source for that?

Because i spend enough time cycling AND driving to see that a majority of people cycling absolutely do NOT have cars..if they did they wouldnt cycle the way they do.

I suppose as the mod of the cycling forum you're probably "bone tired" of hearing the "stupid argument" about cyclists running red lights and failing to signal their intentions too? Are you also bone tired of the people who say you should wear high visibility clothing and lights when you're cycling at night?
Thanks from:
01-03-2019, 15:20   #59
magicbastarder

give yourself a break, those goalposts must be getting heavy.
(3) thanks from:
01-03-2019, 15:22   #60
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idbatterim View Post
How much do motorists contribute to the exchequer and how much is spent on road building and maintenance each year?
They contribute nothing near the cost of damage they do. This research from London will give you an idea of what they should be paying.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cars-air-pollution-cost-nhs-vans-vehicles-health-bills-lung-disease-a8384806.html

Where does the idea that motorists get some credit or rights for paying insurance come from? Motorists pay insurance to cover the huge costs of the huge amount of damage done to people and property by motorists.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion