Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

physioman wrote: »
    Did you try Aviva. My 01 golf is insured with them
    Only if your already with them, wont insure cars over 16 years old for new customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Only if your already with them, wont insure cars over 16 years old for new customers.

Are you sure? They claim to be a new customer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

AXA are insuring my 18yo car without any issue and have come back the last 2 years with the best quote by a mile so I've stuck with them.

Have fully comp with some extras added in and it's under €500 a year.

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you sure? They claim to be a new customer.
    i have a 2008 zafira insured with them, rang for a quote for my wife's 1998 Astra, told over 16 years old so no quote.
    edit, sorry did not read vargoo post, this was 2 months ago i rang for quote, so maybe its changed.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    AXA are insuring my 18yo car without any issue and have come back the last 2 years with the best quote by a mile so I've stuck with them.

Have fully comp with some extras added in and it's under €500 a year.

will they insure new customers for old cars?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I got my renewal from Allianz for my 05 Avensis. It has jumped from 600 to 950. The lowest quote I've gotten elsewhere so far is 640 from 123.ie.

Well I'm back with some good and bad news.
    I went back a few pages on this thread and took note of the companies that had given good quotes to people in 2018.
    I can only find two companies that will give me a quote my current insurer and AXA.

The good news is AXA was a very competative quote at €765
    I then rang Liberty and told them about the AXA quote but the best they could do is €877

The bad is that only having two companies that will quote me really limits my options. It look like the time is up for people wanting to drive older cars and soon the only options left will be to either insure it as a classic and own another more modern as well car or scrape it :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,148 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Fbd sent me post today. Renewal due. I've had this car 15 years. 712.55 for a 03 1.9 golf. Surely someone can do better than that. I barely do 6000 miles a year.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I got my renewal from Allianz for my 05 Avensis. It has jumped from 600 to 950. The lowest quote I've gotten elsewhere so far is 640 from 123.ie.

I've just gone ahead with 123.ie for 648 euro. It was pretty clear that I wasn't going to get a cheaper quote elsewhere. The next nearest quote was 750. Some chancers were looking for 1400. I used to pay less than 400 on this very car.:mad:

beertons wrote: »
    Fbd sent me post today. Renewal due. I've had this car 15 years. 712.55 for a 03 1.9 golf. Surely someone can do better than that. I barely do 6000 miles a year.

Well you can try Liberty and AXA at least they will quote you. Insurance companies just don't want customers who own older cars.
    I've just gone ahead with 123.ie for 648 euro. It was pretty clear that I wasn't going to get a cheaper quote elsewhere. The next nearest quote was 750. Some chancers were looking for 1400. I used to pay less than 400 on this very car.:mad:

123 won't quote new customers on older cars so you are lucky they gave you a reasonable renewal rate.

I have until the end of the month to get a renewal so if anyone one else can suggest other companies please do so.
    Here's who I've tried and could not get a quote

Chill
    AVIVA
    BOI
    AA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Try Aviva.

Try Aviva.
    Are they doing insurance for older cars again, was mentioned in another post that they are, wondered did anyone get a quote?

Well you can try Liberty and AXA at least they will quote you. Insurance companies just don't want customers who own older cars.

123 won't quote new customers on older cars so you are lucky they gave you a reasonable renewal rate.

I have until the end of the month to get a renewal so if anyone one else can suggest other companies please do so.
    Here's who I've tried and could not get a quote

Chill
    AVIVA
    BOI
    AA

It wasn't a renewal. It was new business to them. I was with Allianz for the previous 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Are they doing insurance for older cars again, was mentioned in another post that they are, wondered did anyone get a quote?

I did for a 01 golf last year

It wasn't a renewal. It was new business to them. I was with Allianz for the previous 5 years.

So Aviva said no ,was that recently?

So Aviva said no ,was that recently?

?? I think you meant that for another poster?

Ok my car is 'only' 14 years old but I didn't get refused a quote off any of the companies I asked, including Aviva.. Online only. I didn't phone any.

I did for a 01 golf last year
    so 17yrs old , i tried on my 98 Astra a while back said no too old,
    was quote any good ?

?? I think you meant that for another poster?

Ok my car is 'only' 14 years old but I didn't get refused a quote off any of the companies I asked. Online only. I didn't phone any.

sorry thought you were not getting quotes at all,

Aviva will insure up to 16 years, not sure if its change now.

How old is your car? 123 wouldn't quote me today on a 1997 same with AVIVA they also refused to quote me today.

How old is your car? 123 wouldn't quote me today on a 1997 same with AVIVA they also refused to quote me today.
    well that answers my question then, Aviva still refusing quotes for old car.

• Advertisement

well that answers my question then, Aviva still refusing quotes for old car.

Yup it's fairly well known. I knew I was wasting my time calling then but did so just so I could report back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BexieB

This question might already have been asked. But any time you get car insurance you must declare that you have not been refused cover in the past. Do these failures to get quotes constitute a refusal of cover?

BexieB wrote: »
    This question might already have been asked. But any time you get car insurance you must declare that you have not been refused cover in the past. Do these failures to get quotes constitute a refusal of cover?

No, a company having a policy like this to not cover old cars is not them refusing you personally.

I thought I'd be nearing a vintage quote at this stage. I'll report back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BexieB

Just found this company , nonstandardinsurance.ie.. Might be worth a go. I’ve got my 2000 Classic mini insured with AXA. They took me on as a new customer last year. AXA seem to be the only direct insurer who will take on new business. If it was becoming a big issue I’d scour the broker market. Not just the well known ones, there are many small provincial brokers that don’t feature in the upper results of a google search.

Got them down to 655 over the phone. Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Has their been an updated list posted lately?

Mines the big 15 this year.

vargoo wrote: »
    Has their been an updated list posted lately?

Mines the big 15 this year.

There hasn't because the list is now tiny. Axa seems to be the only main broker covering cars over 15-16 years old.
    Can anyone confirm if Liberty still take on new customers with old cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Its some scandal this, cannot drive legally on the roads in this country without insurance yet if your car is 15 years or older its basically tough ****, you cant get insured, feck off and buy a newer car. Iv seen plenty of cracking looking cars over 15years old in fantastic condition, passing the nct without any bother 1st time most times but the insurance cartel in this country has decided, nope, no insurance for you. Another tribunal into brown envelopes passed between certain people is surely on the horizon. How has this been allowed to progress to this stage? Your car is esentially worthless once it hits the big 15?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

evosteo wrote: »
    Its some scandal this, cannot drive legally on the roads in this country without insurance yet if your car is 15 years or older its basically tough ****, you cant get insured, feck off and buy a newer car. Iv seen plenty of cracking looking cars over 15years old in fantastic condition, passing the nct without any bother 1st time most times but the insurance cartel in this country has decided, nope, no insurance for you. Another tribunal into brown envelopes passed between certain people is surely on the horizon. How has this been allowed to progress to this stage? Your car is esentially worthless once it hits the big 15?

It's the other way round - on average a 15 years old car is worthless. And because of that it poses far too much risk for the insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

grogi wrote: »
    It's the other way round - on average a 15 years old car is worthless. And because of that it poses far too much risk for the insurer.

Why is that? Have you valid statistics that you can allude to and share here please that vehicles of a certain age category pose too much of a risk to underwriters?

There hasn't because the list is now tiny. Axa seems to be the only main broker covering cars over 15-16 years old.
    Can anyone confirm if Liberty still take on new customers with old cars?

Yup they do.

They just gave me a stupid quote, so did chill.

Yup they do.

Chill won't quote me at all, the guy on the phone actually recommended I call AXA direct. Or maybe he was just being sound and knew I would get a better quote going directly rather than using chill.

Yup they do.

And FBD
    Campion
    First Ireland
    Its 4 women
    AXA

Im flying through these....onward.

Chill won't quote me at all, the guy on the phone actually recommended I call AXA direct. Or maybe he was just being sound and knew I would get a better quote going directly rather than using chill.
    AXA direct is nearly €1500 for me...hahaha

Nearly all of them are around the thousand mark, I was in the 3** last year.

• Advertisement

And FBD
    Campion
    First Ireland
    Its 4 women
    AXA

Hold the phone PostInsurance are in the 4**!!! They've always been silly price for me in the past, nearly wasn't gonna bother trying.

Not bad cover either, breakdown assist/windscreen/stepback, no sign of driving other cars though...wonder does it have it...

And FBD
    Campion
    First Ireland
    Its 4 women
    AXA

Sheridan (crap site)
    An Post :)
    Quote Devil (Have to ring me back)

Procrastination setting in, I'll try Britton in a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Why is that? Have you valid statistics that you can allude to and share here please that vehicles of a certain age category pose too much of a risk to underwriters?

You didn't get that. It is not about age, but value.

If a vehicle is too cheap, it is far more probable to be used in fraud. Virtually nobody would crash a €50k car on purpose. Crashing a €1k banger is much more profitable business.

There are other issues with older cars, such as reduced passive and active safety - less airbags, less safety systems etc - or improper maintenance - the cheaper the car, the more string is used in keeping it on the road. But they are far less significant than the first problem.

You might expect that insurance companies would fight fraud. They do. But they also limit the expose by not insuring old cars.

grogi wrote: »
    You didn't get that. It is not about age, but value.

If a vehicle is too cheap, it is far more probable to be used in fraud. Virtually nobody would crash a €50k car on purpose. Crashing a €1k banger is much more profitable business.

There are other issues with older cars, such as reduced passive and active safety - less airbags, less safety systems etc - or improper maintenance - the cheaper the car, the more string is used in keeping it on the road. But they are far less significant than the first problem.

You might expect that insurance companies would fight fraud. They do. But they also limit the expose by not insuring old cars.

Nonsense, the insurance companies or nobody else for that matter has produced factual evidence to say that older vehicles of little monetary value are likely to be used in fraudulent activity or that they are more likely to be involved in road traffic accidents...

So again please point me to the evidence??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

So again please point me to the evidence??

The evidence is that a lot of insurance companies will not take the business at any price. Does that not prove something? Rant and rave all you like, but if an insurer thought they could make a profit on attracting older cars on their books, they would be over it like a rash

• Advertisement

The evidence is that a lot of insurance companies will not take the business at any price. Does that not prove something? Rant and rave all you like, but if an insurer thought they could make a profit on attracting older cars on their books, they would be over it like a rash

There are still a number of insurers quoting for older vehicles albeit at higher premium costs.

You work in the insurance industry so im sure you may have access to statistical factual evidence that older vehicles are more of a risk to insure?

There are still a number of insurers quoting for older vehicles albeit at higher premium costs.

Can you list the ones you know? Axa, An post and maybe liberty were all I could find. The vast majority would not quote me at any price.

You work in the insurance industry so im sure you may have access to statistical factual evidence that older vehicles are more of a risk to insure?

I don't have access to the data, but I know how insurers operate. If they can't run their book of older vehicles at a break-even or profit, they will refuse to quote or price it at a level that they think people would be foolish to pay in the hope you will bugger off. If you pay what they ask, they will reluctantly accept it.

Also, people are fixated on the older vehicle being the sole issue. It isn't. Insurers are saying that the older car is a factor in higher than normal claims. It could be that the expensive claims involve older car, combined with a particular demographic, culture, sex, nationality etc. However, insurers are not allowed refuse cover or load for those reasons, so the age of vehicle is quoted. They will accept that they will lose good risks, if it keeps the crap off their books

I don't have access to the data, but I know how insurers operate. If they can't run their book of older vehicles at a break-even or profit, they will refuse to quote or price it at a level that they think people would be foolish to pay in the hope you will bugger off. If you pay what they ask, they will reluctantly accept it.

Also, people are fixated on the older vehicle being the sole issue. It isn't. Insurers are saying that the older car is a factor in higher than normal claims. It could be that the expensive claims involve older car, combined with a particular demographic, culture, sex, nationality etc. However, insurers are not allowed refuse cover or load for those reasons, so the age of vehicle is quoted. They will accept that they will lose good risks, if it keeps the crap off their books

Nowhere else in the world is insurance refused on the basis of vehicle age. The insurance industry is not providing the statistical and factual evidence that older vehicles are more of a risk to underwrite because it is nonsense.

The dogs on the street know it is nothing more that a systematic attempt by the the insurance industry and government to force owners into scrapping older perfectly good roadworthy vehicles whilst bearing the cost of upgrading to newer vehicles. In turn it is a win win in terms of returns to the exchequer.

Can you list the ones you know? Axa, An post and maybe liberty were all I could find. The vast majority would not quote me at any price.

Only know of those listed in this thread, my own is with AXA.

If you are refused take the steps outlined here...

https://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/declined-cases-agreement

Nowhere else in the world is insurance refused on the basis of vehicle age. The insurance industry is not providing the statistical and factual evidence that older vehicles are more of a risk to underwrite because it is nonsense.

The dogs on the street know it is nothing more that a systematic attempt by the the insurance industry and government to force owners into scrapping older perfectly good roadworthy vehicles whilst bearing the cost of upgrading to newer vehicles. In turn it is a win win in terms of returns to the exchequer.

Insurance companies are only interested in the difference between premiums in and claims out. They don't give a flying fig about the age of the national fleet and why would they? Unless of course, older cars cost them more in claims.........

Insurance companies are only interested in the difference between premiums in and claims out. They don't give a flying fig about the age of the national fleet and why would they? Unless of course, older cars cost them more in claims.........

"They don't give a flying fig about the age of the national fleet and why would they?"

Huh? Well seemingly they do....

"Unless of course, older cars cost them more in claims........."

So they claim but they are not backing up these statements with any concrete evidence...

"They don't give a flying fig about the age of the national fleet and why would they?"

Huh? Well seemingly they do....

"Unless of course, older cars cost them more in claims........."

So they claim but they are not backing up these statements with any concrete evidence...

They don't care about the age of the National fleet, they will just concentrate trying to secure attractive business, which apparently excludes older cars.

What evidence do you want other than NO insurer actively targeting that sector? Do you not see the logic in that statement? You could rock up to most insurers with €5k to spend and they won't take your money if it doesn't fit their brief.

They don't care about the age of the National fleet, they will just concentrate trying to secure attractive business, which apparently excludes older cars.

What evidence do you want other than NO insurer actively targeting that sector? Do you not see the logic in that statement? You could rock up to most insurers with €5k to spend and they won't take your money if it doesn't fit their brief.

You're missing my point. I want to see the evidence why insurance companies which I might add is a legal requirement in this country for all roadworthy motor vehicles, are categorising perfectly legal and roadworthy older vehicles as not being "attractive business" ?

You already stated you have no evidence or cannot bring evidence to this argument other then what we already know of the industries refusal to cover older vehicles and the fact they are not being challenged to provide reasonable cover though I am aware that a challenge is forthcoming.

So don't come on here flying the flag for you professions industry if you cannot substantiate your views because up to now it is only waffle.

So don't come on here flying the flag for you professions industry if you cannot substantiate your views because up to now it is only waffle.

Can you substantiate the alliance insurance companies has formed with the government to remove older cars from the road?
    Where's the proof and what do the insurance companies have to gain?

• Advertisement
Advertisement