Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech and language therapy UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nanar21

joining the conversation a little late but I have also received my acceptance letter for SLT!!! See ye all in August!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Light92

I just came home to my acceptance letter today for SLT! Didn't realise you could check them online early :) Congratulations all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Great to see so many new classmates! Delighted for you all. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mags51

Got my acceptance letter today also, hadn't realised we could check online either!
    Does anyone know if it's feasible to have a part time job whilst studying!?
    Also congrats everyone!ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 16 suziob

Mags51 wrote: »
    Got my acceptance letter today also, hadn't realised we could check online either!
    Does anyone know if it's feasible to have a part time job whilst studying!?
    Also congrats everyone!ðŸ˜

When I went to the SLT open day I asked some 2nd years how easy it would be to have a job and they said the course is very intense and the placement runs in to holidays/ summer. I guess if you had a very flexible job it might be doable but they said it would be difficult enough. I'm sure everyone's experience is different though. Congrats on the offer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

What is everyone doing about accommodation? Just starting to research it now and not even sure where to begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Showna

What is everyone doing about accommodation? Just starting to research it now and not even sure where to begin!

I was thinking would anyone be looking to find a house and share ?

Showna wrote: »
    I was thinking would anyone be looking to find a house and share ?

I'd definitely be on for a few of us joining up and finding something! At least then we'd be in similar positions work wise throughout the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stephied93

I'd definitely be interested in getting a few people together to start looking for somewhere! Got accepted to SLT and am so excited to start! Ive been looking into it a bit and Id say Milford Grange or Cois Ghruda would would be ideal since they're nice and not too far from the college. Although definitely avoid College Court unless you want to end up living with undergrads wanting constant house parties!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Showna

Totally agree. Should we be booking somewhere soon do you think ? Congrats also 🎉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

I'd be up for looking for accomodation. Know nothing about Limerick though so I'll be a bit useless in that regard :P

I would also be up for looking for accommodation! I'm guessing it gets more difficult to find somewhere the closer it gets to September.. Ideally somewhere where you could walk to North side of the Uni easily and would have parking :) I heard at opening day that some commute for 2nd year if they live within driving distance as a lot of 2nd year is placement (therefore, paying 2 rents if you are sent elsewhere) but the advice given to me was to be near campus for the 1st year (1st semester especially).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tukki

Hello everybody, first time posting in this thread. I will be starting OT in September. Would be great to connect with my future classmates!

I'm 29 and from Sligo.

Well done everyone. Just in relation to accommodation. I would definitely recommend starting to look for something soon as there is a huge demand for rental accommodation in limerick at present.

You probably would be best renting a house together somewhere near the campus. There should be lots of student accommodation in Castletroy. Personally, I much rather live in town but accommodation is very scare in limerick city at the moment. There is a lovely new cycleway along the river shannon which means you can get to the main campus from limerick city in 10 minutes :)

Thanks for the advice Panda100!
    I am looking at Lodgings for the year as I will be travelling back to Galway every weekend and they seem to work out cheaper (and include all bills) if you are only staying Monday - Friday. If anyone else is in a similar situation and would be interested in joining up in a house with 2 rooms free PM me and let me know :-)

I will also have to start looking for accommodation. I know very little about Limerick or the area around the college. I do know I'd like to avoid living on campus with undergrads because I'm too old for that now!

Guys, do we return all the forms in the brown envelope provided? Or do we have to send the course acceptance form to another address? It's a bit confusing.

Yes, I found it confusing too. So I just stuck everything in the envelope and sent it.

tukki wrote:
    Yes, I found it confusing too. So I just stuck everything in the envelope and sent it.

Yep gonna do the same

I got so confused too so ended up with two envelopes with two different addresses because the addresses were different and none of them matched the envelope address .. Im sure they will get it! :/

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    Guys, do we return all the forms in the brown envelope provided? Or do we have to send the course acceptance form to another address? It's a bit confusing.

I think the course acceptance form is to go in a different envelope to the address on the form.. then the Garda vetting/id form goes in the brown one

I just put them all into the brown envelope in the end. None of the addresses on any of the cover sheets seemed to correspond with each other. Hopefully they'll get it!

Did anyone hear back from UL since posting their documents, get confirmation they were received etc?

tukki wrote:
    Did anyone hear back from UL since posting their documents, get confirmation they were received etc?

I received an email to say I didn't include my letter of offer/proof of address and then received an email for garda vetting online.

How's the house hunting going for you all? :)

I didn't get any email for Garda vetting yet, (I'm OT not SLT, so perhaps they're being processed differently?)

As for house hunting, I haven't looked at anything seriously yet :eek: I would prefer to rent privately rather than on campus, but any rentals being advertised are looking for someone to move in immediately. So seems a bit early to start enquiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ballyank

panda100 wrote: »
    How's the house hunting going for you all? :)

I'll be commuting from the Midlands... should be fun 😂. Does anyone know what the reading list is? I'd love to start looking at it as I've 2 kids so I can imagine they'll be sick at crucial times during the course! Any clues would be greatly appreciated. Even just a good starting point. I'm OT btw

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ballyank

tukki wrote: »
    I didn't get any email for Garda vetting yet, (I'm OT not SLT, so perhaps they're being processed differently?)

As for house hunting, I haven't looked at anything seriously yet :eek: I would prefer to rent privately rather than on campus, but any rentals being advertised are looking for someone to move in immediately. So seems a bit early to start enquiring?

I got an email a week ago reminding everyone to submit the garda vetting form, but I havnt received anything since about the process? Although I am still waiting to submit police clearance from Australia so that could be the holdup for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Goldengirl120

Hi all,
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea about the panel for SLT? I was originally 6th on the panel but apparently 2 people have declined their place which now places me in 4th position.. I'm trying to figure out how long it normally takes for people to decline - is there a specified time frame to give a deposit and accept your place? I've been offered a different msc in NUIG so I'd love to be able to start looking at accommodation etc if I'm unsuccessful with UL.
    Any advice would be great!! :)

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea about the panel for SLT? I was originally 6th on the panel but apparently 2 people have declined their place which now places me in 4th position.. I'm trying to figure out how long it normally takes for people to decline - is there a specified time frame to give a deposit and accept your place? I've been offered a different msc in NUIG so I'd love to be able to start looking at accommodation etc if I'm unsuccessful with UL.
    Any advice would be great!! :)

Have you heard anything yet Golden girl? Fingers crossed you get a place :)

Just wanted to pick everyone's brains about funding. I previously did a MSc. Would I be ineligible for a grant because this is also a Masters and I'm not showing any progression in my education? Anyone have any tips about funding? I'm knida stressing out about it a bit now. I really don't want to have to get another student loan out but I think I'm gonna have to :o

Advertisement