Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech and language therapy UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LucyLuLu11

Yeah I'm the same. Too afraid to jinx anything, even though my hpat was okay (according to other people, I don't have a clue!). It's just so difficult when there's nothing else to gage it against. Really hoping we get offers this week. It's like waiting for leaving cert results all over again, without an actual date!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I don't even know anyone who could tell me if my hpat is ok or not. :p This is a million times worse than waiting for the cao offers back in the day - I had over 100 points to spare for Arts in UCC, this isn't so clear cut. :pac: I really hope they start contacting everyone this week! I have a heart attack every time my phone pings with an email!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Galwaygirl66

I emailed recently and was told decisions will be end of May I really that's not the case!

I emailed recently and was told decisions will be end of May I really hope that's not the case!

Ah what!? That's such a long time. I felt like April took an eternity to end, I don't know how I'll cope until the end of May! They didn't give any inkling as to why by any chance?

• Advertisement

Anybody? Anything yet?

Nothing! Has anyone else emailed them?

I just sent another email to postgrad admissions asking about when we might hear about the allocation of places. I'll post up the reply when I get one. :)

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I just sent another email to postgrad admissions asking about when we might hear about the allocation of places. I'll post up the reply when I get one. :)

So yeah, was told they are still waiting for instructions from the course director, and they can't give me any information. The waiting continues!

Thanks for checking again Meehan....at this point an answer is needed I can deal with rejection but all the waiting is making it worse!I wonder what's holding it up?!if it's going by score would have thought it's a straight yes or no

• Advertisement

I rang last week and was told the delay is because they are waiting on ISAT results, I assume this is the international students version of the HPAT? Feels like such a never ending wait at the moment.

I just did a bit of digging about the ISAT and yeah, it's the International Student Admission Test. I found their facebook page and they had a status from the 20th saying anyone who sat the ISAT prior to the 19th of May has access to their results. It's up to the student to provide their results to the University then. Maybe UL are trying to chase up some people to get their results? I wonder how many places will be allocated to international students.

I got my acceptance letter today! I actually cried with relief and happiness! I was 68th percentile in the hpat, and I got 67 in the written English.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Spencere010

Got my acceptance letter today too and I was in the 55th percentile! Hoping everyone else on here got good news too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Spencere010

Oh and forgot to say congratulations Meehan, will be seeing you in Limerick.

Congratulations to you too! See you there!

Congratulations guys! I also got my acceptance letter, such a relief!

Congrats Lucy! 😊

Got acceptance letter for OT :) thank God the wait is over!

Congratulations GalwayGirl! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mollyxm

Hi everyone, congrats on the places - I'm a past student of the MSc and have reading list books & coursebooks for sale second hand. Please pm. best of luck, Molly

Has anybody looked into or gotten accommodation yet? Is there any where in particular that's good for postgraduate accommodation?

I booked accommodation in Cappavilla Village through the student living website. There should still be something available for postgraduate/mature students! I'm planning to live on campus the first year, but maybe commute or rent the second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pvlondon

Hi all! I can't believe this thread has been so active and I didn't realise! After my second time applying, and agonizing months of waiting, I'm so happy and relieved to have got a place on this course. I am currently based in Japan and am having a bit of a stress trying to get myself organised from here, and despite countless emails from my end am not getting much love from the team at UL. I was just wondering if anyone has any more information than the basics we've been given, such as course dates for 2016/17, reading lists and when work placements start- or even if someone in their 1st year could maybe pitch in. Really looking forward to meeting you all in August!

pvlondon wrote: »
    Hi all! I can't believe this thread has been so active and I didn't realise! After my second time applying, and agonizing months of waiting, I'm so happy and relieved to have got a place on this course. I am currently based in Japan and am having a bit of a stress trying to get myself organised from here, and despite countless emails from my end am not getting much love from the team at UL. I was just wondering if anyone has any more information than the basics we've been given, such as course dates for 2016/17, reading lists and when work placements start- or even if someone in their 1st year could maybe pitch in. Really looking forward to meeting you all in August!

Congrats! It starts on the 22nd of August, but we haven't gotten any other information pertaining to placement or reading lists yet. Postgraduate admissions said they would be in contact again in August about enrolment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ann-Marie

Hi,

I'm hoping to do SLT or OT next year in UL, (still can't decide). Just wondering how people got on in the Hpat this year? I'm 5 years out of college and have been told I should pay for the prep course, which is really expensive. I feel like these prep course are more geared towards fields such as Medicine where the Hpat average score is very high. Can anyone shed some light on Hpat average scores for OT or SLT please.

Thanks
    Ann-Marie

• Registered Users Posts: 2 freakymofo

Ann-Marie wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm hoping to do SLT or OT next year in UL, (still can't decide). Just wondering how people got on in the Hpat this year? I'm 5 years out of college and have been told I should pay for the prep course, which is really expensive. I feel like these prep course are more geared towards fields such as Medicine where the Hpat average score is very high. Can anyone shed some light on Hpat average scores for OT or SLT please.

Thanks
    Ann-Marie

Hi Ann-Marie,

I also want to apply next year for SLT. I bought the first hpat practice book and am working my way through it, and will continue to practice it until the exams next February, the booklet/PDF is very helpful as it describes how to approach the questions. I read on the hpat website that they are not affiliated with any hpat training courses.

Is the new application system to tackle the huge waiting lists for therapy services in Ireland? To encourage more people to become SLTs? What do you guys think?

Thank you, Ciara

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hollyben

Hi
    I hope to do the Speech and Language therapy course in UL also. Did you just register on the hpat site and then buy the booklet through the site? Also I'm just wondering how difficult it is to get a place on the course. I'm really eager to do it, would love to be starting it next year however should I be looking into other colleges in the UK? I dnt want to get my hopes up too much for UL. Also did you guys shadow a speech therapist in your area? And is there any interview for UL anymore or is it just through the test?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Light92

Hi all,

I am applying to MSc Speech and Language therapy at UL this year and I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with advice on this course who is currently doing it/has completed it recently?
    Particularly around finances/travel/placement length/weekly timetables!
    Please post here if you are available for a few questions or PM me - any help would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hi all, I'm hoping it will be fourth time lucky for my application to SLT this year! I didn't apply through the HPAT last year. Just wondering, can we register for the HPAT yet? Would people reccomend doing the hpat courses avaliable in the likes of the Institute? I am so bad at these types of verbal reasoning assesments I will need all the help I can get :)

Any tips on the hpat would be greatly receieved.

Advertisement