Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech and language therapy UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nanar21

Hi all, I am applying for speech and language therapy this year and will sit the HPAT in February. I am most concerned with the written component of the exam as there is little to no information on it or what can be expected. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

nanar21 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am applying for speech and language therapy this year and will sit the HPAT in February. I am most concerned with the written component of the exam as there is little to no information on it or what can be expected. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

I would be interested in this too. I think you can pay to do a practice one through the HPAT site which I haven't done yet.

Any advice or information from those who have sat it previously would be much appreciated :)

Just thought I would see if we can revive this thread. Does anyone know when we might know our HPAT scores? I don't think I did very well with it but am hoping that the scores to get into SLT might not be that high this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Showna

Hi. I think the HPAT results are out mid april. Then UL inform us if we are succesful in may sometime !! 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ann-Marie

Hi,

I heard that we are informed by UL about a place mid/end of April?!

• Advertisement

Ann-Marie wrote:
    I heard that we are informed by UL about a place mid/end of April?!

Going by this thread last year. Hpat results are out mid-April. I guess that could give us a good indicator of what chance we might have. However, its mid-May until UL will let people know wether they are succesful or not. The wait is so difficult!

The hpat went dreadfully for me. I won't put myself through that again so this is my last time applying for SLT in UL. This is my fourth time applying so I really hope it doesn't just soley go on hpat although I know it does :(

How did you all find the hpat :)

Hi

Thanks for the information Panda. I applied for OT. Don't worry I think we're all in the same boat. It's my first time sitting it, I have absolutely no idea how I did. I'm working full time and spent most evenings for six months going over ******** drills/exams. As you say, the results in April should give us an idea. Although, it's impossible to know, there could easily be 30+ people who got the same top scores. Maybe that's where the written section comes into play. Might be used as the decider, but again who knows.

Hpat results are out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 freakymofo

I got overall 141 and percentile 35, anyone else wanna share theirs to get an idea of the percentiles? Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Thom98

the wait is over, 127 in HPAT and 75 in English

• Advertisement

I'm going for OT and got 135. Not feeling very hopeful!

I got 161 which was 67 percentile and got 61 in the written assessment. Hoping that might be enough for slt

Can I just ask what everyone who has replied is going for, that is OT or SLT?

Ann-Marie wrote:
    Can I just ask what everyone who has replied is going for, that is OT or SLT?

I'm only going for SLT. It would be great to know what percentile people last year got that got in. Its very difficult to know what chance you have as is so dependent on how the other applicants got on.

Section 2 was my best section and was always scoring in 80+ percentile in the ******** exams/drills, which are supposed to be harder as you're scored against other countries. However in the exam I was in the 30 percentile. In contrast section 3 is my worse, and ended up getting around the same mark as section 2. As for section 1, it was the same score as I had been getting during prep.

The performance chart for 2016 shows that approximately 2% of the population got over 200. I wonder can I thus consider my 136 to be an okay score, in relative terms ?! As you said Panda, it all depends on the rest. If 30 people were to post scores higher than our own ones on this thread, well then we'd have a fair idea!

https://hpatireland.acer.org/files/HPAT__Ireland_2016_Candidate_Performance.pdf

I would focus more on the percentile rather than the actual score. Two people last year from this thread got in to slt on 51 and 68 percentile. Other than that I think its a complete guessing game. I don't think we will know until we get a letter from ul unfortunately.

Panda, I just read an earlier post from you, and how it was your fourth time sitting the exam. Well, you deserve after going through it that many times :)

Ann-Marie wrote:
    Panda, I just read an earlier post from you, and how it was your fourth time sitting the exam. Well, you deserve after going through it that many times

It was my first time sitting the hpat but fourth time applying for SLT. They have changed the entry requirements each year I've applied. No way I would put myself through the hpat 4 times!

panda100 wrote: »
    I would focus more on the percentile rather than the actual score. Two people last year from this thread got in to slt on 51 and 68 percentile. Other than that I think its a complete guessing game. I don't think we will know until we get a letter from ul unfortunately.

My percentile is 26, which is far too low to realistically be in with a chance.

Ann-Marie wrote:
    My percentile is 26, which is far too low to realistically be in with a chance.

Honestly we have no idea until we hear from UL I think. The waiting game continues. Hopefully we will find out by mid-May..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 EmmaBlossom

Hi Im going for O.T. and got 125. Not feeling very hopeful at all. Does anybody know how many places are available?

Hi Im going for O.T. and got 125. Not feeling very hopeful at all. Does anybody know how many places are available?

I think there's about 30 places but I'm not 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

I'm going for OT and I got 153 in the hpat and 63 in the written. I'm in the 53rd percentile. Disappointed as I don't know if it will be enough but I did feel on the day it hadn't gone that well. Will just have to wait and see if I get an offer, the wait is terrible though.

There's really no point in guessing who will get an offer, it all depends on how many people applied this year and how they did. And then you never know how many people will actually accept their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kateeh93

Hi I've been following this thread for a while now, this is my first time applying for SLT but I was really disappointed with my score, got 124 and 58 in the written so I've just already ruled myself out of getting offered a place this year! Just going to try again next year although it's so frustrating to have to wait!
    Fair play panda100 for all your effort, you deserve to get in after all your work!

kateeh93 wrote:
    Hi I've been following this thread for a while now, this is my first time applying for SLT but I was really disappointed with my score, got 124 and 58 in the written so I've just already ruled myself out of getting offered a place this year! Just going to try again next year although it's so frustrating to have to wait! Fair play panda100 for all your effort, you deserve to get in after all your work!

I really don't think anyone can rule themselves in or out at this stage. It is entirely dependant on how others performed and I think we all found the hpat to be fairly sh**ty this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ahen7

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to apply for SLT in UL next year, starting Aug 2018. I'm annoyed that I only started realistically thinking about it post-deadline date so I have the time now to get as organised as possible for the following academic year. Do you guys have any advice on what I can do in the meantime to prep myself in any way? Did any of you do a HPAT prep course? Are they any use?

Thank you in advance, and best of luck to you all with offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 suziob

panda100 wrote: »
    I really don't think anyone can rule themselves in or out at this stage. It is entirely dependant on how others performed and I think we all found the hpat to be fairly sh**ty this year.

Panda check your application process! Mine has been updated 😊

suziob wrote: »
    Panda check your application process! Mine has been updated 😊

Wahoo, i did it!UL SLT here I come :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 suziob

Sooooo happy for you Panda!! I got in too!! Classmates :)

• Advertisement

suziob wrote: »
    For future reference if anyone is wondering about percentiles- I got 158 in the HPAT 62nd percentile and 63 in written. Good luck to everyone :)

Delighted for you Suziob. finger crossed for all my fellow boardies. I hope to see you all in September!

Advertisement