Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech and language therapy UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ballyank

panda100 wrote: »
    Have you heard anything yet Golden girl? Fingers crossed you get a place :)

Just wanted to pick everyone's brains about funding. I previously did a MSc. Would I be ineligible for a grant because this is also a Masters and I'm not showing any progression in my education? Anyone have any tips about funding? I'm knida stressing out about it a bit now. I really don't want to have to get another student loan out but I think I'm gonna have to :o

I'm in the same boat. I already have an MA so can't get SUSI funding. Have you had any luck panda?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tukki

I'm also worried. I am not eligible for SUSI funding because I lived outside the EU for +3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dkc4omkerry

Hi all, im on the same boat too I got offered a place and im starting in Aug. It doesn't look like I as eligible either for a grant. See you all in Aug , we can all be poor together !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rois0493

Hi everyone! Congrats on getting accepted for the course! Just wondering if any of you would be interested in setting up a facebook group? I figure it would be handy to get to know each other a little and share any questions or info we have

rois0493 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Congrats on getting accepted for the course! Just wondering if any of you would be interested in setting up a facebook group? I figure it would be handy to get to know each other a little and share any questions or info we have

I think it's a great idea!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Yep great idea! Would be great to start connecting with you all :)

I made a group :) i can't post a link here because im a new user here but if you type "MSc speech and language therapy UL 2017-2018" into facebooks search bar it should come up and ill accept you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Found it and sent request to join 😊

rois0493 wrote: »
    I made a group :) i can't post a link here because im a new user here but if you type "MSc speech and language therapy UL 2017-2018" into facebooks search bar it should come up and ill accept you :)

Oops, I'm OT! I could create an OT equivalent if there is interest.

tukki wrote: »
    Oops, I'm OT! I could create an OT equivalent if there is interest.

You can still join if you want im sure there will be plenty of crossover between the two courses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Showna

Hey Tukki, did you make an OT page on Fb. I will be starting in Limerick at the end of the month so would love to join the page if you made one ? Thanks

Okay I created a group. MSc Occupational Therapy UL 2017-2019.

For anyone searching for the slt group on facebook. I realised i had the years wrong (whoops) ive just changed it so just search 2017 - 2019 at the end instead 😂 sorry guys

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ballyank

tukki wrote: »
    Okay I created a group. MSc Occupational Therapy UL 2017-2019.

Tukki I just sent the group a friend request!

Ballyank wrote: »
    Tukki I just sent the group a friend request!

Great! Looking forward to meeting you all in just over a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 studentt1236

Hi guys, congrats to you all on being accepted into SLT in UL!
    I'm planning on applying to do SLT in UL next year but I am wondering would it be possible to stay in Dublin and commute to Limerick? I was considering maybe driving or getting the train. I traveled 2+ hours for my undergrad here so I am used to it, what would the hours be of classes in the course does anyone know? I heard that placement is 2 days a week it would be great if I could locate that in Dublin; I have some shadowing experience in Tallaght Hospital, the Mater Hospital and a Prosper group, so I could potentially do placement in any of those places.
    I have a some commitments in Dublin that make it difficult for me to move to Limerick, which is why I would consider commuting!

Anybody any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 suziob

Hey there, I'm currently in the SLT course and to be honest I don't think it would really be possible to commute from Dublin, maybe someone else will disagree. We're in Monday to Friday from 9am until 6pm most days with breaks. Our first placement will be from the end of May to the start of July. You're placement is organised for you by the college, you can request where you want to go but there's no guarantee you'll get it. You could always give it a go if you think you'd be able for it, best of luck
    Hi guys, congrats to you all on being accepted into SLT in UL!
    I'm planning on applying to do SLT in UL next year but I am wondering would it be possible to stay in Dublin and commute to Limerick? I was considering maybe driving or getting the train. I traveled 2+ hours for my undergrad here so I am used to it, what would the hours be of classes in the course does anyone know? I heard that placement is 2 days a week it would be great if I could locate that in Dublin; I have some shadowing experience in Tallaght Hospital, the Mater Hospital and a Prosper group, so I could potentially do placement in any of those places.
    I have a some commitments in Dublin that make it difficult for me to move to Limerick, which is why I would consider commuting!

Anybody any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jsykc

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about applying for the course starting in 2019 (a while away I know). Can anyone give me any advice on how to boost my chances of getting in? I have a 2.1 degree and I'm planning on getting a lot of experience in the field over the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Hey! I'm currently in second year of the course. For my class, the places were allocated solely based on HPAT scores so previous degrees, grades and experience were not taken into account. I don't know if this is changing again or not, but if they are planning on sticking with the HPAT then there is no way to boost your chances of getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jsykc

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Hey! I'm currently in second year of the course. For my class, the places were allocated solely based on HPAT scores so previous degrees, grades and experience were not taken into account. I don't know if this is changing again or not, but if they are planning on sticking with the HPAT then there is no way to boost your chances of getting in.
    Thanks for your reply! Do you know what score I should be aiming for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

jsykc wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply! Do you know what score I should be aiming for?

To be honest, not really! I know there are people in first year who scored between the 40th - 50th percentiles, and I know some in my own class scored in the 80+ percentiles. It's impossible to predict! I scored in the 68th percentile I think (can't fully remember to be honest!) but there was no way I could have told you after sitting the exam whether or not I had done enough. I would advise to do a good prep course, just to get familiar with the exam and to nail the timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Wooly Sheep

Hi Everyone,
    I am applying for the SLT course commencing August 2018.
    I am reading all these posts about percentiles and the Hpat and the english exam and am getting more nervous by the minute any advice from last years students would be greatly appreciated.
    I am looking over sample exams and questions and checking the solutions if I go wrong but what more can I do?
    Any advice from previous students about accommodation and funding and timetables etc would be a huge help. #PleaseHelp
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 suziob

Hi!
    I would advise you to just keep practicing with the questions and solutions and buy a couple of the extra tests from the HPAT site. I know some people did preparation courses which might help. I only used the materials from the HPAT site for practice. It's a head wrecking exam, but just keep practicing and I think you'll be fine!
    Best of luck! :)

Hi Suziob

Thanks a lot for your reply I appreciate it!
    Yes I have bought all of the practice materials and exams and I am practicing answering them and timing myself and checking up the solutions if I get a question incorrect.
    How was the exam for you may I ask? Hows did you get on with the english essays? :)

Hi Suziob

Thanks a lot for your reply I appreciate it!
    Yes I have bought all of the practice materials and exams and I am practicing answering them and timing myself and checking up the solutions if I get a question incorrect.
    How was the exam for you may I ask? Hows did you get on with the english essays? :)

Hi Wooly sheep. It sounds like you are doing all the right things, so don't worry :)I scored quite poorly in my English part (40) and got accepted to OT. I know people who scored ~40th percentile that got in. I didn't do any prep courses but remember doing a lot of Sudoku and puzzle apps on my phone leading up to the day. Try and relax during the exam. I don't know a single person who came out of it feeling like they did 'great' and it's very hard to gauge in the exam itself.

Hi Tukki

Thanks for your feed back. I personally feel like I'll never be prepared enough for this exam! Any more advice on approaching questions or answering them or is it just down to time management? The essay titles are so broad too I'm worrying about what will come up on the day :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sunshine1212

Hello! I'm also looking to apply in 2019 so any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm going to the UL open day the 16th of January so looking forward to getting some more information there! I haven't started studying for the HPAT yet, but planning to start soon!

Hi Tukki

Thanks for your feed back. I personally feel like I'll never be prepared enough for this exam! Any more advice on approaching questions or answering them or is it just down to time management? The essay titles are so broad too I'm worrying about what will come up on the day :/
    Also does anyone remember the essay titles from last year?

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick messege to say good luck to everyone participating in the Hpat on Saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 mash89

Hey all! 
    Hope everyone is feeling alright after Saturday! I came out feeling very dejected I have to say,It went much worse than I even expected, and I didn´t have high hopes! Anyway, reading some of the comments from last years intake about percentiles does give me a little bit of hope! Fingers crossed. Anyway, just wanted to say if/when anyone hears back, I know it will be a while yet, but when we do, posting on here would be great for ourselves and future reference.

Thanks!

Advertisement