Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Very good. Love to travel. Haven't made it to Ukraine yet but definitely on my list for next year.
    Summer is very hot, I was there in mid September and it was roasting.

It was a nice trip. Lots of soldiers around for obvious reasons. You get to see these brand new tinted 4x4s driving past trolley buses from the 50s or 60s ha

Stunning women. Men look like they are angry all the time
    D'Agger wrote: »
    Carmen Sandiego here la
    You found me ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Thought BK was the queen of puns, etc. For that alone she should get an invite to your wedding. :P

You mean you haven’t received your invite yet? Ooh...awkward.

If it helps Juergen and Paddy, teaching is excellent at making me feel old! My class are quite disappointed that I’m still not married - they question me about it regularly.

Over the last few years a few things have happened for me.
    - graduated
    - got my full teaching licence and permanent job
    - moved in with my boyfriend (into the joys of Dublin renting :pac:)
    - trained aerials for...about 3 or 4 years I think? I’ll be prepping for performances soon and giving up any pretence at a normal life during that! I would love to compete next year so need to get properly cracking on with training to have any hope of it.
    - and just adult life really lads. Had quite a major family bereavement so yknow, had to step up to a lot of sudden adulting after that.

No weddings though. I’ve promised my class if I get married this year they can all be flower girls. That’s how sure I am that it won’t happen this year :D
    Paddy, I've always believed you look like your Minion avatar. Hope that's OK. :pac:

I mean...you said it, not me!
    D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm trying to eat more plant based / vegetarian (because I love eggs) for the next while, between that and the attempted beard growing I'm a walking caricature I know but still....trying new things.

Oh I’ve been doing this too, I eat meat 2 or 3 times a week. Been about a year now. If you’ve got any good recipes send them my way.

Does sound a bit caricaturey though man - it’ll be kombucha and tiny housing for you yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Barna ya big aul feicin International jet setting bastid. Makes my trip to morrisons earlier all the more miniscule, hah!

Ah Ukraine has many things Panthro, but do they have discount packs of jellies like Morrisons do...thought not! Morrisons wins again!

In all seriousness though Barna that’s an impressive list! Love how you casually throw in Germany and the Netherlands there like it’s nothing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

If it helps Juergen and Paddy, teaching is excellent at making me feel old! My class are quite disappointed that I’m still not married - they question me about it regularly.

Over the last few years a few things have happened for me.
    - graduated
    - got my full teaching licence and permanent job
    - moved in with my boyfriend (into the joys of Dublin renting :pac:)
    - trained aerials for...about 3 or 4 years I think? I’ll be prepping for performances soon and giving up any pretence at a normal life during that! I would love to compete next year so need to get properly cracking on with training to have any hope of it.
    - and just adult life really lads. Had quite a major family bereavement so yknow, had to step up to a lot of sudden adulting after that.

No weddings though. I’ve promised my class if I get married this year they can all be flower girls. That’s how sure I am that it won’t happen this year :D

Hey BK,

Bring your bf to the next beers and we will get him to pull the finger out. Explain how you want a 2021 wedding, so he needs to get moving.. :P:pac:;)

Ahh the joys of Dublin renting, yeah I had enough of that after 20 years of renting and put we deposit down last year on a house after finally finding the right place in the right location, just outside Dublin, large enough to comfirtably hold friends and family to visit and by the sea as an added bonus..

Is ariels that thing where you hang from large ribbons and flip around like a half loon in the air?

My condolences on the loss BK :(

• Advertisement

Ah Ukraine has many things Panthro, but do they have discount packs of jellies like Morrisons do...thought not! Morrisons wins again!

In all seriousness though Barna that’s an impressive list! Love how you casually throw in Germany and the Netherlands there like it’s nothing.

They do have Chernobyl condoms in Ukraine though. I assume for more protection :pac:

Been to the Netherlands three times (lots of sightseeing this last one) , four to Germany. The novelty is kind of gone, but Germany is awesome.

And yeah, renting in Dublin is pure joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sorry for your loss BK, also sorry to hear you're renting in Dublin!

Cork isn't as bad but the public transport is miles behind so unless you're driving you're going to be late for all the things

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How is Cork? My housemate may be moving there.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Barna77 wrote: »
    They do have Chernobyl condoms in Ukraine though. I assume for more protection :pac:

Been to the Netherlands three times (lots of sightseeing this last one) , four to Germany. The novelty is kind of gone, but Germany is awesome.

And yeah, renting in Dublin is pure joy!

I've never been to Deutschland however I've bought a ticket for System of a Down in Berlin next June, really looking forward to it.

How is Cork? My housemate may be moving there.
    It's really good, I moved out of where I was so I'm not in the city as much but there's been decent spots opened up the last few years both nightlife and food/brunch. Still has a small town feel at times but it's growing the whole time. Seen lots of people return back from London/Dublin and there's a bit of a tech hub in Cork with good meetups and talks going on. The 'City on the Rise' slogan is taking off with some new, larger buildings being given approval but as with all progress - objections are slowing it currently.

Knex can follow up in case I've missed anything assuming he's still down these parts?

• Advertisement

(wrong thread.... )

I've never been to Deutschland however I've bought a ticket for System of a Down in Berlin next June, really looking forward to it.
    Berlin is a fantastic spot for some history & partying, should be a great gig!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Barna77 wrote: »
    (wrong thread.... )

Thought so. Where is it? Definitely Dutch. Looks a bit like Willemstad in Curacao.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Thought so. Where is it? Definitely Dutch. Looks a bit like Willemstad in Curacao.
    Well spotted. That's Houten in the Netherlands. Froze my arse off to take the night pic

Curacao is way out of my travel budget ha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Spent a couple of months there in 2010 doing scuba diving, drinking beer and watching the World Cup. Nice spot.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Hey BK,

Bring your bf to the next beers and we will get him to pull the finger out. Explain how you want a 2021 wedding, so he needs to get moving.. :P:pac:;)

Ahh the joys of Dublin renting, yeah I had enough of that after 20 years of renting and put we deposit down last year on a house after finally finding the right place in the right location, just outside Dublin, large enough to comfirtably hold friends and family to visit and by the sea as an added bonus..

Is ariels that thing where you hang from large ribbons and flip around like a half loon in the air?

My condolences on the loss BK :(

Christ no, he can come to a beers if you promise to do the opposite of that :pac:

Yeah it’s crazy alright. We’re in a good place with low rent (well, for Dublin like) though so pretty lucky there.

That’s possibly the most accurate summary of aerials I’ve ever seen! Aerial arts are really just using anything that hangs in the air. So silks (the ribbons), hoop, rope, straps, trapeze...much of a muchness between a lot of them tbqh. The flipping around like a loon is always a key part of it anyway. :D

Prepping to begin parent teacher meetings here at the moment. Always funny watching the kids try to be angelic in the week before those meetings!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Christ no, he can come to a beers if you promise to do the opposite of that :pac:

Get him to break up with you? Bit extreme, but OK, we can arrange that :pac:
    Yeah it’s crazy alright. We’re in a good place with low rent (well, for Dublin like) though so pretty lucky there.

Yeah we were the same, rent only went up €100 in nearly 6 years. A colleague of mine was renting in the same complex and paying nearly €500 a month more for a smaller apt, only one bathroom and no parking. But after paying nearly €250k in rent during my time in Dublin, it was time to get my own place.
    That’s possibly the most accurate summary of aerials I’ve ever seen! Aerial arts are really just using anything that hangs in the air. So silks (the ribbons), hoop, rope, straps, trapeze...much of a muchness between a lot of them tbqh. The flipping around like a loon is always a key part of it anyway. :D

Sounds pretty cool, just be careful as I'm sure any mistake has pretty serious consequences.

Prepping to begin parent teacher meetings here at the moment. Always funny watching the kids try to be angelic in the week before those meetings!

Ohhh lovely, the joy of telling parents that their little darlings are actually psychotic brats who struggle to remember their own name. Yes I do love kids as you can tell :pac: :D

Thank fack its Friday yeeow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Give me another 21 minutes...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It's been well over 3hrs now at this stage.
    Lets all go mad.
    Within reason.
    BK I'm looking at you.

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    It's been well over 3hrs now at this stage.
    Lets all go mad.
    Within reason.
    BK I'm looking at you.

My evening of going mad will consist of propping myself up in the bed with the laptop, watching an episode of some TV show and falling asleep by 10.30. I'm shattered.

Guess I'm getting old :rolleyes: :D

Same
    That's me now.

Oh I’ve been doing this too, I eat meat 2 or 3 times a week. Been about a year now. If you’ve got any good recipes send them my way.

I am a particular fan of this one:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/10/cauliflower-and-parmesan-cake/

Found a voucher for curry's to the value of £55.
    Looked their website, black Friday deal amazon kindle £54.99.

It was written in the stars.

And D'Aggs.
    I blame daggs.

I got a kindle fire a few years back. Hardly used it though I've read fcuk all other than a couple of biographies over the last few years.

My reading was light enough. Irish history, the odd biography.
    But I was an absolute huer for the Colm Bateman books!

Never heard of him tbh!

What's happening the weekend?

I'm heading down to the schticks with the offspring to visit the parental units, think we are having the in laws up for dinner tomorrow.

Yaaay.

Any Irish history recommendations? There's tons about English history but disappointingly little about Ireland pre-twentieth century.

H. H. Asquith

Found a voucher for curry's to the value of £55.
    Looked their website, black Friday deal amazon kindle £54.99.

It was written in the stars.

And D'Aggs.
    I blame daggs.

You just reminded me I've a €50 one4all voucher to use
    I got a kindle fire a few years back. Hardly used it though I've read fcuk all other than a couple of biographies over the last few years.

This is why I think it might be a waste to get one.

I've assignments due the next two weeks so naturally I've started watching a new TV show - Succession - good cast & quite funny at times

• Advertisement

Any Irish history recommendations? There's tons about English history but disappointingly little about Ireland pre-twentieth century.

On the kindle? I've not even looked.
    My last physical book to read was Tim Pat Coogans The Famine Plot.
    It was pretty good.

I'm trialing having cans every second weekend.
    Pity I didn't start trialling it next weekend, hot chocolate just doesn't cut it!

Advertisement