Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Tree Watch: My tree is still not up

Aiming for Sunday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

D'Agger wrote: »

Aiming for Sunday

It would grow quicker

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Aiming for Sunday

Special planning permission needed in the Kingdom?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It would grow quicker

I'd acutally prefer to do that, set down a little potted plant in October rather than putting together a plastic yoke
    Special planning permission needed in the Kingdom?

Living in Cork so as a Kerryman yes....I need a permit because Cork people don't like sharing things, even holiday spirit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Strange to think of you having a five year old PR. Would you like help translating reports from teacher-ese when the time comes?
    I'd acutally prefer to do that, set down a little potted plant in October rather than putting together a plastic yoke

Fine as long as you don't plant it. My parents planted the first Christmas tree they got together...the ****er is now so big,my dad's afraid to chop it. Past a certain height it didnt even look good!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Nah the whole cleaning up needles every second day put me off real trees, so a decent fake one does the job. Just don't do what I did and get one with a metal frame, fuppin thing weighs a ton. No clue how I'm getting it into the attic after Xmas :rolleyes:

BK, my parents did something that years ago with trees along the driveway up to the house. Looked great until they reached about 50 feet tall and blocked out all the sun light getting into the bloody house. Cost them a small fortune to get them all cut down a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Strange to think of you having a five year old PR. Would you like help translating reports from teacher-ese when the time comes?!

His proudest moment this year is that he was beside his teacher in the class photo. He loves her. She is very good and enthusiastic about all tasks.

Stranger for me. Have a 3 year old too who is Infinitly harder to please

Fine as long as you don't plant it. My parents planted the first Christmas tree they got together...the ****er is now so big,my dad's afraid to chop it. Past a certain height it didnt even look good!

That's adorable stuff out of mamma & pappa BK all the same

Treewatch: Tree is up since Sunday night, so is the crib which I'm very proud of

Any wine recommendations for Christmas, might get a few bottles for my dad / drinking at home

Have you ever tried Coole Swan? Seriously delicious alternative to Baileys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Treewatch: Tree is up since Sunday night, so is the crib which I'm very proud of

Any wine recommendations for Christmas, might get a few bottles for my dad / drinking at home

Tesco doing Faustino V (note, not VII, or I) Rioja for €10 at the moment. That alone is a good deal, but add on the 25% off six bottles of wine promotion now on and you're getting it for €7.50 a pop - that's a hell of a deal. Lidl usually get in some Bordeaux specials this time of year as well - mostly around €10, and hard to go wrong with them.

Tesco doing Faustino V (note, not VII, or I) Rioja for €10 at the moment. That alone is a good deal, but add on the 25% off six bottles of wine promotion now on and you're getting it for €7.50 a pop - that's a hell of a deal. Lidl usually get in some Bordeaux specials this time of year as well - mostly around €10, and hard to go wrong with them.
    25% off 6 bottles....job, I got a wine rack ages ago and the most bottles I've managed to store in it is 3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

What do guys make of martel brandy ?

Man that's a fun coincidence. Back when I was drinking more someone in my circles ordered a Martel and Baileys. Intrigued by how specific and order it was - I tried it and it was my drink of choice for a few months after that.

Anyway for the first time in a long long time I ordered it last night! So nice little connection there.

Had a bit more to drink than usual last night though so suffering now. Did a "magic" stage performance at a mates large Christmas Parties last night and went really well. Basically he was so sick of me saying I can work out how most magic is done (most) he decided to get me to put up or shut up and do a performance. So I did an almost 1:1 copy of this between the band and the DJ. Did not have to pay for a drink all night after it. Ouchie.

Man that's a fun coincidence. Back when I was drinking more someone in my circles ordered a Martel and Baileys. Intrigued by how specific and order it was - I tried it and it was my drink of choice for a few months after that.

Anyway for the first time in a long long time I ordered it last night! So nice little connection there.

Had a bit more to drink than usual last night though so suffering now. Did a "magic" stage performance at a mates large Christmas Parties last night and went really well. Basically he was so sick of me saying I can work out how most magic is done (most) he decided to get me to put up or shut up and do a performance. So I did an almost 1:1 copy of this between the band and the DJ. Did not have to pay for a drink all night after it. Ouchie.

weird coincidence alright, i wont be opening it till xmas day, and i already have the baileys at the ready ( €10 in centra !!!)

always loved brandy and baileys, a very expensive round however.

if you are that good at magic, make the hangover go away !!

akelly02 wrote: »
    if you are that good at magic, make the hangover go away !!

Working on it :) but my approach is more culinary than illusionary when dealing with hang overs. Salty Bacon features heavily.

Working on it :) but my approach is more culinary than illusionary when dealing with hang overs. Salty Bacon features heavily.

my motto is , if you can eat, you're not that bad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Tesco often have Apothic red for a tenner, which is hands down one of my favourite wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Worst landing ever. Two tries due to very strong winds. :(

I can relax now

Barna77 wrote: »
    Worst landing ever. Two tries due to very strong winds. :(

I can relax now

Cork? Because every landing in Cork Airport is a bad landing

"let's build the airport up there on a massive hill which happens to be my local constituency" - Jack Lynch (1960something)

• Advertisement

Got Bombay Sapphire in the end as I didn't recognise anything else in the duty free.

Also lost my boarding pass because I took it out to buy the duty free :(
    Luckily Mrs had copies on her phone. I was expecting a charge from Ryan Air for not having one.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Got Bombay Sapphire

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

3 bottles of Jack Daniels for €75, oh how I love Christmas deals on drink :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Cork? Because every landing in Cork Airport is a bad landing

"let's build the airport up there on a massive hill which happens to be my local constituency" - Jack Lynch (1960something)

Nope, in north Spain.
    But same story. Airport on high ground, near the coast. Add a mad storm, you get people puking all over the airplane....

But in other news, I can buy here wine and spirits for half price it would be in Dublin :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

What type do you like D'Ag, what's your budget?

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    What type do you like D'Ag, what's your budget?

Chateau Les Mauberts is a decent bordeaux for €9 and in most Tescos.

Another to look for is Casillero Del Diablo Reserva Privada, €10 in Tesco and is very easy to drink.

If you like Spanish Rioja, try the Campo Viejo Reserva. There is a 2014 in Tesco for €12 a bottle and it's decent. They also do a Tempranillo for around €10 a bottle which is also nice.

To stretch the budget a bit, Tesco finest Barolo is very nice, but €20 a bottle is a bit steep for some.

If there is a Wine buff shop near you, try La Fauconnaire from St Emilion, again about €22 a bottle but a very decent Bordeaux.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Merry Christmas ya'll!

Merry Christmas TGC'ers :)

Merry Xmas to you all.

• Advertisement

How's 2020 going so far folks?

Advertisement