Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Any of ye gents listen to any news, business or economics podcast on the regular?

Have enjoyed a bunch of David McWilliams ones, but looking for something else that is kinda light and can be listened too fairly handily.

Maybe even a daily update, few minutes one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Panthro wrote: »
    They should bring out the Dr Richard Kindle.
    That'd be sweet.
    (don't own one so can't comment!)

Saw that for the first time on Monday. Cracking film.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Knex. wrote: »
    Any of ye gents listen to any news, business or economics podcast on the regular?

Have enjoyed a bunch of David McWilliams ones, but looking for something else that is kinda light and can be listened too fairly handily.

Maybe even a daily update, few minutes one.

NPR's Planet Money - been listening to it for years. https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510289/planet-money/
    Saw that for the first time on Monday. Cracking film.

The Fugitive? It's good alright. One of those things that works because although there's action, it's a battle between the characters and I think you feel for them regardless of sides. Saw some of the series (original, not the remake) on repeat when I was growing up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Did ya buy a kindle in the end D'Aggs?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Did ya buy a kindle in the end D'Aggs?!
    I didn't, reckon I'll wait for Christmas, also I'm not sure I'd get value out of it to be honest, it's a habit I need to work on implementing before investing in the gadget

How're all you folks doing anyway?

• Advertisement

God dam it D'Aggs. I went looking up kindles thinking I should probably read more too.
    And now you've bailed on the idea.
    You bastid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

D'Agger wrote: »

How're all you folks doing anyway?
    Toothache :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

This thread.

giphy.gif

We're bringing back the brandy and cigars, it's like 90s reunion!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

We're bringing back the brandy and cigars, it's like 90s reunion!

Do we go to the phone box to organise it? Or use floppy disks?

• Advertisement

Do we go to the phone box to organise it? Or use floppy disks?

Way ahead of you Black Oil.
    Each week you'll receive a Boards.ie magazine in the post. (just imagine, page after page of thread a posts)
    And with the magazine will come a piece of plastic.
    Over the course of 12 weeks, Collect all the pieces and build your very own... VHS tape, wooo!
    On the tape will be instructions on the reunion.

VHS player sold separately.

Not. Badddd!

God dam it D'Aggs. I went looking up kindles thinking I should probably read more too.
    And now you've bailed on the idea.
    You bastid!

I haven't bailed but I'm back in college at the moment so realistically I don't have a huge amount of downtime as-is. It's something I'll keep in mind for the future all the same, been using audiobooks lately and enjoying them but I find you don't recall lines or a good quote as much when you hear it as opposed to reading it.
    Way ahead of you Black Oil.
    Each week you'll receive a Boards.ie magazine in the post. (just imagine, page after page of thread a posts)
    And with the magazine will come a piece of plastic.
    Over the course of 12 weeks, Collect all the pieces and build your very own... VHS tape, wooo!
    On the tape will be instructions on the reunion.

VHS player sold separately.

Not. Badddd!

First issue only €1

First edition offer only, normal RRP €19.99

What are you studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

I haven't bailed but I'm back in college at the moment so realistically I don't have a huge amount of downtime as-is. It's something I'll keep in mind for the future all the same, been using audiobooks lately and enjoying them but I find you don't recall lines or a good quote as much when you hear it as opposed to reading it.

Seems like a longer way to say bailed to me, Panthro...
    Tbh I applaud anyone who goes back to college, it’s proper dedication like. Unfortunately my career doesn’t incentivise it at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Jaysus it is like a reunion of the last tGC beers I was at. You know the one that D'Agger couldn't make it ;)

What you doing in college?

Still teaching BK?

Married yet Panthro?

Black Oil. You've never left ;) Did you do parkrun yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Kindles are great, have one since the Kindle 3, currently have a Paperwhite with a backlight which is handy for nighttime reading.

The best thing is that you can transfer your own books that you "acquire" by sending them to the Kindle email address or via USB. The standard epub format can also be converted to the Kindles mobi format.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Black Oil. You've never left ;) Did you do parkrun yesterday?

Tail walker. Have been taking it easy after the marathon. Will start back next week. Should eventually get to 50 around Feb or so. It's only taken me about 4 years.

Presume Dags is in college to study how to get Kerry's software out of beta. I remember BK giving out about it. :pac:

Used to use https://calibre-ebook.com for Kindle.

Oh D'Aggs absolutely Christian bailed on getting a kindle. Between that and not attending the beers I believe he should be forever know as D'Bailer!

Ara I'm only slaggin D'Aggs, fair play for returning to college. Can't be easy at your age. How is your thesis "Teabags through the Ages: A brief history of the humble teabag" coming along then?!

We've the date set PR 30th May 2020. There's been a few missions along the way but I think we're getting there.

Love how kitten slyly got in the "Ive a career now, so go fcuk yourselves" comment. Sly aul kitten that wan.

Happy Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Aye Panthro, I know ye too well to set myself up for that one.
    Yes, still teaching! Fifth year at it now - a terrifying thought really.

Didn’t know you were getting married! Congrats! My sources in that industry tell me 2020 is going to be a big year for weddings. Hope you’ve yer sweet carts etc locked down...

T’would take more than that to drag Kerry into modern times TBO (some things haven’t changed with the grumbling).

What are you studying?

Cybersecurity
    Tbh I applaud anyone who goes back to college

You shouldn't, they're fools :pac:
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Jaysus it is like a reunion of the last tGC beers I was at. You know the one that D'Agger couldn't make it ;)

So any of them is it?? :D
    Presume Dags is in college to study how to get Kerry's software out of beta. I remember BK giving out about it. :pac:

Keeping the Corkonians out!

Also congrats Panthro!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tail walker. Have been taking it easy after the marathon. Will start back next week. Should eventually get to 50 around Feb or so.

Marathon? Good man. I haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet

More of a snickers man myself
    Wacka wacka!

More of a snickers man myself
    Wacka wacka!

Thought BK was the queen of puns, etc. For that alone she should get an invite to your wedding. :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Hello strangers, how's everyone?

Long time no posting on here. What's been happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Aye Panthro, I know ye too well to set myself up for that one.

Didn’t know you were getting married! Congrats! My sources in that industry tell me 2020 is going to be a big year for weddings. Hope you’ve yer sweet carts etc locked down...

T’would take more than that to drag Kerry into modern times TBO (some things haven’t changed with the grumbling).

How in gods name have you been teaching for 5 years?. Jesus tap dancing Christ i was gonna say I remember you when you were a very young kitten but you are still a very fackin young kitten.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials Panthro, no need to invite my missus, I'll head along myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Hello strangers, how's everyone?

Long time no posting on here. What's been happening?

It's been like a veteran reunion here the past few days. Swapping old stories, catching up with each other, talking about how confused we are with new tech (kindles).

Knex. wrote: »
    It's been like a veteran reunion here the past few days. Swapping old stories, catching up with each other, talking about how confused we are with new tech (kindles).
    Funnily enough I'm in the early stages of growing a beard so I do have a very 'just back from the trenches', disheveled, PTSD look going on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Funnily enough I'm in the early stages of growing a beard so I do have a very 'just back from the trenches', disheveled, PTSD look going on

You're a bit behind the times D'Ag. The hipsters are moving on to something new now.

I grew a beard when I celebrated a milestone birthday but it was for 2 reasons:

1. To finally start looking my age. Apparently at the time everyone though I was 5-7 years younger than I actually was and wanted to see if it actually worked. Nearly 5 years later I've kept it

2. I couldn't be bothered shaving any more and this seemed like a good way to get around that and to stop looking like a homeless hobo with 5 days of stubble

Who's confused with new tech? I love new tech. Trying to find loads of new tech gadgets for my new house. Like a kid in a sweet shop atm, book marking all the new gadgets I can use to turn my house into something I have to upgrade every 5 years :D

Been a busy few years for me.

Got a degree at night
    Got promoted in work (leading a team now, poor b*stards)
    Proposed, herself accepted and got married
    Sold a house
    Bought a house.

Time to kick back and relax now methinks cause if I didn't look my age before, I look fuppin older that I am now :D

How in all that's mighty are you teaching 5 years,?? Sure jeez the last pic I saw if you, you looked about 12 :D

Congrats on the impending nuptials Panthro. The secret to it all

1. Turn up to it trying to look half decent
    2. Say "I do" when prompted
    3. Don't embarrass the in laws in the speech
    4. Don't step on her toes or dress during the first dance
    5. Dont get too drunk

Then spend the rest of you life wondering wtf all tbat money was spent on for a few days that you can barely remember and got so stressed over for nearly a year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Paddy, I've always believed you look like your Minion avatar. Hope that's OK. :pac:

Advertisement