Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well folks I just thought I'd throw this up here seeing as a few of you seem to be pressing ahead with the Grads base plan already. I still think it's a bit early but my 'ad nauseam' days are over. I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with some of the run types on the plan so I figured it might be best to touch on progression runs. These will figure regularly in both the base plan and the race plans.

The first thing you will notice is that there is a pace calculator attached to the plans. I'd suggest using your best race pace as the one to set your paces by. You will find the easy and very easy paces to be very slow. Trust them. Learn to run at those paces. Be aware that in some of the plans you will at points be asked to run 35/40% faster. There are 10 steps on the pace chart which you may be asked to use depending on which plan you use. If your easy and very easy pace is too fast you will be unable to step through the gears to the faster paces. You will also not be getting recovery from the sessions. Remember that a progression run picks up speed to the end. It's not a case of start too fast, be unable to continue to increase pace for the hour and end up slowing down at the end.

For the 2 X 60 min progression runs in weeks 1 and 3 I feel there is a very easy way to structure it. Do 12 mins at easy, then 12 at easy moderate, 12 at moderate, 12 at easy tempo and 12 at tempo. Cooldown with 10/15 at your very easy pace. Feel free to do the same very easy miles as a warmup too. This is very easy to set up as a workout for anyone using a Garmin watch. Set alerts to keep you within the pace ranges.

Best of luck with it....hopefully not until next week! :D

Thank you S. You've given me/all us novices so much of your time with advice and guidance and you're still keeping an eye out for us. It is very appreciated.

My Garmin is a fairly basic model. I usually write the numbers and times on my wrist or the back of my hand. Might have to ask Santa to bring me a new watch!

When you say to use your best race time, I was also going wrong there as I was using my DCM time.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thank you S. You've given me/all us novices so much of your time with advice and guidance and you're still keeping an eye out for us. It is very appreciated.

My Garmin is a fairly basic model. I usually write the numbers and times on my wrist or the back of my hand. Might have to ask Santa to bring me a new watch!

When you say to use your best race time, I was also going wrong there as I was using my DCM time.

Thanks again!

As long as it’s a relatively recent time then it will be applicable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The calculator in the 2016 plan may not work. This is the new link http://www.runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Had a look at my spreadsheet to see what I did last year. After DCM I took a break until Nov 20th, then two weeks of easy/very easy 23-25 miles (and Jingle Bells 5k). Started the 6 week base plan on Dec 4th. Jan 15th was the intermediate plan for Connemarathon (April 2018). After DCM 2016, it would have been something similar re taking it handy (the grads plan was new to forum as a whole then), followed by the base plan and subsequently 5-10k plan for a 10k race in May 2017 (Inishbofin :D). Usually decide on a future race, hit the base plan to build up mileage and then into a more specific plan to prepare for what's ahead. Think I've done the base plan maybe 4 times now overall.

Had a look at my spreadsheet to see what I did last year. After DCM I took a break until Nov 20th, then two weeks of easy/very easy 23-25 miles (and Jingle Bells 5k). Started the 6 week base plan on Dec 4th. Jan 15th was the intermediate plan for Connemarathon (April 2018). After DCM 2016, it would have been something similar re taking it handy (the grads plan was new to forum as a whole then), followed by the base plan and subsequently 5-10k plan for a 10k race in May 2017 (Inishbofin :D). Usually decide on a future race, hit the base plan to build up mileage and then into a more specific plan to prepare for what's ahead. Think I've done the base plan maybe 4 times now overall.

Thanks so much for that The Black Oil. Gives me great perspective.

I have signed up for Manchester in April so in terms of planning, I've worked backwards on the calendar and I'm planning to start my grads plan training (grads plan!) on Dec 31st. Christmas week, I'm gonna give myself a week off-I'll still run but won't be following a plan that week. The base plan is 6 weeks long so I started that yesterday.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for that The Black Oil. Gives me great perspective.

I have signed up for Manchester in April so in terms of planning, I've worked backwards on the calendar and I'm planning to start my grads plan training (grads plan!) on Dec 31st. Christmas week, I'm gonna give myself a week off-I'll still run but won't be following a plan that week. The base plan is 6 weeks long so I started that yesterday.

Nice one. I've done most elements of the grads plan and will come back those again.

Another 2016 grad, Unthought Known, did Manchester in April (using the meno plan), so he can probably give you a sense of the course as you get closer. His report. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106700616&postcount=244

Nice one. I've done most elements of the grads plan and will come back those again.

Another 2016 grad, Unthought Known, did Manchester in April (using the meno plan), so he can probably give you a sense of the course as you get closer. His report. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106700616&postcount=244

Thank you so much for the link. (Unthought Known, thank you too! awesome time)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I haven't ran since DCM. Will be walking the Gingerbread 10km on Sunday and hope to start back running next Wednesday. Last week I signed up for the Half Marathon in Donadea on the 12th of January. Now I am wondering if I will be able for it. It is a 5km lap X 4 with a bit extra. Thinking of following a Hal Hidgeon novice plan again and jumping in at week 4 or so seeing as I really only have seven or eight weeks to train. Does this seem like a good plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Haven't started back running yet but will do soon. Will start the base plan next week, use Jingle Bells 5k as my time to base training paces off of and then after Christmas start the 5k plan.

Found this excellent article linked by Testosterscone in 2015 grads thread. Explains the different elements of training for 5k race. But more importantly why each element is important.
    https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20806851/solving-the-5k-puzzle/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

gypsylee wrote: »
    I haven't ran since DCM. Will be walking the Gingerbread 10km on Sunday and hope to start back running next Wednesday. Last week I signed up for the Half Marathon in Donadea on the 12th of January. Now I am wondering if I will be able for it. It is a 5km lap X 4 with a bit extra. Thinking of following a Hal Hidgeon novice plan again and jumping in at week 4 or so seeing as I really only have seven or eight weeks to train. Does this seem like a good plan?

I'm not familiar with the plan but the running book i'm currently working through has 12 week plans and they say that 8 weeks should be sufficient for some adaption to take place so going by that what you're planning to do sounds ok. But i would take a look at the mileage in week 4 and just make sure it's not any higher that what you were doing in the early/middle stages of DCM training? You don't want to be starting off at your peak mileage - i hope that makes sense, i have a feeling i'm not phrasing it very well :o Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the plan but the running book i'm currently working through has 12 week plans and they say that 8 weeks should be sufficient for some adaption to take place so going by that what you're planning to do sounds ok. But i would take a look at the mileage in week 4 and just make sure it's not any higher that what you were doing in the early/middle stages of DCM training? You don't want to be starting off at your peak mileage - i hope that makes sense, i have a feeling i'm not phrasing it very well :o Best of luck with it.

Thanks ariana. That makes sense alright. Will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Hi everyone,

I’m dying to get going again, would anyone have the link to the 6 week graduate plan ye talk about?

Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Clibee wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I’m dying to get going again, would anyone have the link to the 6 week graduate plan ye talk about?

Thanks so much

Check out last year's graduates thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057812163

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much

It's the base plan on the spreadsheet when you open it. The link is in the first post of the thread linked above. Paces can be calculated using the calculator linked in the second post.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's the base plan on the spreadsheet when you open it. The link is in the first post of the thread linked above. Paces can be calculated using the calculator linked in the second post.

That's a fair whack of runs a week! My wife would kill me if I started to follow that! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Thanks so much everyone, I got it.

I’m gonna do the 6 week plan , then back to marathon training in January for Belfast city marathon and maybe Dublin again Oct 2019.

Well that’s the plan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

racersedge wrote: »
    That's a fair whack of runs a week! My wife would kill me if I started to follow that! :pac::pac::pac:

Yeah it's 5 days a week to start with for most.

Get yourself a pair of trousers and wear them man! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Hello alllllll
    I still can’t run since marathon. I tired last week and after 1km both my legs started hurting. Like dreaded itb pain on both sides... eekkk
    I am hoping this clears up soon. As otherwise I feel completely ready to go.
    I have exams starting next week so would ideally hope I can start after them.
    Usually I use running as my stress buster during study - so really missing it. Anyone else hurting when they run. I wonder should I be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thanks so much everyone, I got it.

I’m gonna do the 6 week plan , then back to marathon training in January for Belfast city marathon and maybe Dublin again Oct 2019.

Well that’s the plan anyway.

I think you’d be better concentrating on 5k/10k for first part of 2019 rather than going into another marathon cycle. Concentrating on the shorter stuff for 6 months or so will improve you more as a runner.

What your planning above is 3 marathons in 12 months, it’s your decision of course, but it’s overkill IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Hello alllllll
    I still can’t run since marathon. I tired last week and after 1km both my legs started hurting. Like dreaded itb pain on both sides... eekkk
    Usually I use running as my stress buster during study - so really missing it. Anyone else hurting when they run. I wonder should I be worried.

Might be worth a trip to the physio? Might be an easy fix and have you back running.

I’ve been switched to low impact sport until Christmas as I’m still having pain with running, but not sure what’s normal. Running is my stress buster too so finding that hard. Also the only time I get to listen to books so I’m missing that.

Best of luck in the exams.

• Advertisement

effibear wrote: »
    Might be worth a trip to the physio? Might be an easy fix and have you back running.

I’ve been switched to low impact sport until Christmas as I’m still having pain with running, but not sure what’s normal. Running is my stress buster too so finding that hard. Also the only time I get to listen to books so I’m missing that.

Thanks Effibear... good thinking. Will go see physio after exams. Prob my safest bet!!! Hope you get sorted ASAP also. And we are back at it as soon as we are ready.

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Hello alllllll
    effibear wrote: »

Yes, I’d check in with a physio. The first run back after any bit of a break is often a heavy legs feeling but not sore as such - stiff maybe. Hopefully a quick fix.

What you could do while you are waiting is some foam rolling - especially the glutes. Use a tennis ball if you find it easier. That might help. Do the quads and calves while you are at it and maybe put some heat on the sore parts and massage it yourself.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Yes, I’d check in with a physio. The first run back after any bit of a break is often a heavy legs feeling but not sore as such - stiff maybe. Hopefully a quick fix.

What you could do while you are waiting is some foam rolling - especially the glutes. Use a tennis ball if you find it easier. That might help. Do the quads and calves while you are at it and maybe put some heat on the sore parts and massage it yourself.

Great tips yes.. I will force myself. I’ll thank myself in the long term. Cheers kellygirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hi all. Just signed up to DCM 2019 the other day. First Marathon. I run twice a week, 5- 10km each at an easy pace (well the last few months anyway) and 1-2 90 min Astro football sessions too.

Plan for the coming months is to up the distance by following a plan. I don't have a time to aim for in the marathon, I just want to finish it.

PB's are 5km: 22:01 (Staff Relay Race 2018); 10Km 54:5X . Max i've ever ran was 14km (7km to a town near me and back) a couple of weeks ago in 1:21:xx . Was sore for 2 or 3 days after that so need to work on it.

Anyway that's enough waffling on from me. Looking forward to the next 11 months of training and following peoples fitness logs and programmes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

We've been unstickied :eek:

Think this means "get lost and go over to the logs" where we all now belong.

ariana`, Kellygirl, skyblue 46, thanks again and I hope we all see you regularly over here telling us to slow down.

You are welcome Juke and while it’s always sad to see the Novices thread unstickied, it is time to move on and build on the great training you have all done for the last few months. Will be watching and following you all over on the Grads thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I would also like to say a sincere thanks to all the mentors for your contributions and devotion on behalf of the sports category mods. Well done to you all and be proud!

I met a few of you briefly post marathon, was great to put faces to the names.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

juke wrote: »
    We've been unstickied :eek:

Think this means "get lost and go over to the logs" where we all now belong.

ariana`, Kellygirl, skyblue 46, thanks again and I hope we all see you regularly over here telling us to slow down.

You're very welcome, it was a privilege to be part of the journey.

I wish you all the best with the onward journey now - i'm looking to watching what happens next for you guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Only 4000 spaces left for DCM 2019!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Only 4000 spaces left for DCM 2019!

You’d want to take the finger out so!!!

Advertisement