Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Helenasca wrote: »
    What's the best way to get back to pre marathon training pace? Is there a plan that I could follow. Obviously not looking to rush things for now. But want to get back the 'speed' (I use that word loosely) I had before I started this morning training.

I've signed up for DCM19 aswell. So planning on working on pace over the winter and then back to slow coach again next summer.

TIA

There will be a grads thread starting in the next couple of weeks to help anyone who wants to progress their running. It will be the ideal place to deal with this sort of question. From experience I would suggest the grads base building plan and then the 5/10k plan which will be on the thread. You'll be flying after that. Until then keep it nice and easy to let the body recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

skyblue46 wrote: »
    There will be a grads thread starting in the next couple of weeks to help anyone who wants to progress their running. It will be the ideal place to deal with this sort of question. From experience I would suggest the grads base building plan and then the 5/10k plan which will be on the thread. You'll be flying after that. Until then keep it nice and easy to let the body recover.

Cheers for that. Ya slowly getting back into it. Feels weird not 'having' to run every other day and ticking them off the plan. Kinda miss it 😔
    But all in good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Congrats to all who completed the marathon this year, a great achievement. I’ve signed up for next year and it will be my first.

My pbs are roughly 20mins for 5km, 42.5mins for 10km and 1hr 34mins for a half marathon.

My training will be limited (two to three times per week realistically) due to work/small kids but I plan to start now and build up my distance and fitness slowly over the year.

I haven’t run further than a half marathon yet so not sure how much the extra distance will impact my pace. So am wondering what is a realistic time to aim for. My first goal is to finish it and I think a sub 4hour marathon is realistic with a sub 3hr 30mins being the best I could expect. Is this a realistic target for time?

With those times you'd get a sub 4 if you stopped off at Myo's for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Lazare wrote: »
    With those times you'd get a sub 4 if you stopped off at Myo's for a pint.

Imagine what he’d do it in if he had six pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Did anybody elses immune system take a battering after marathon day?

I was throwing the vitamins into me pre-marathon and was fighting off a cold for about two weeks pre DCM but it was like the mother of all colds was waiting for me at the other side of that finish line! Excuse for a hot whiskey and a good rest I suppose but fed up of it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

smeal wrote: »

I was throwing the vitamins into me pre-marathon and was fighting off a cold for about two weeks pre DCM but it was like the mother of all colds was waiting for me at the other side of that finish line! Excuse for a hot whiskey and a good rest I suppose but fed up of it now!

Ya I think I'm run down after it. Have an awful cold sore! I always find i get sick when I go on hols. Like you've been just going and going and when you stop to take a break, all the bugs get you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Not sick, but my resting HR has gone up about 10bpm in the last week. I've done nothing in terms of exercise since the marathon. Might start back today and see if it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

This is quite normal unfortunately. Lots of rest and let your body and mind recover from the ordeal it went through.

Most of you will start to feel a lot better this week and may be eager to get stuck back into training again but your body is still recovering and you're at an increased risk for injury during this period so enjoy the well earned break and if you really need to run keep it very easy! Don't worry about losing fitness, you body is still adapting and getting stronger from the big work out you did last week. Give yourself a decent break now and when you do start back you will really benefit both mentally and physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

ariana` wrote: »
    This is quite normal unfortunately. Lots of rest and let your body and mind recover from the ordeal it went through.

Most of you will start to feel a lot better this week and may be eager to get stuck back into training again but your body is still recovering and you're at an increased risk for injury during this period so enjoy the well earned break and if you really need to run keep it very easy! Don't worry about losing fitness, you body is still adapting and getting stronger from the big work out you did last week. Give yourself a decent break now and when you do start back you will really benefit both mentally and physically.

+1 to this,
    I did an 8K handy run yesterday and felt as if my legs were made of stone, so I think that I need to leave it for another few days..

In other news I signed up for the Wicklow 'Gaol Break' HM at the end of March as a few of my friends are doing it for charity (Pieta House).

I have never entered this HM, but I can only imagine it will be a hilly course as Wicklow isn't exactly the flattest of counties to run in. Has anyone ever completed this HM, what is the course like??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Yep, in the same boat over here. Started to get a cold the weekend of the marathon and it's still hanging around now refusing to budge.

Now why didn't I think of the hot whiskey solution?? Job for this evening ;)

• Advertisement

Got to say, I've decided not to run the marathon next year (would hope to the year after) and while i'm sure I'll be kicking myself come next October, right now the thoughts of having all of next year to play with just doing totally different stuff running-wise has me all excited! Dying to start the next thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

eyrie wrote: »
    Got to say, I've decided not to run the marathon next year (would hope to the year after) and while i'm sure I'll be kicking myself come next October, right now the thoughts of having all of next year to play with just doing totally different stuff running-wise has me all excited! Dying to start the next thing :pac:
    Same here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

smashiner wrote: »
    I have never entered this HM, but I can only imagine it will be a hilly course as Wicklow isn't exactly the flattest of counties to run in.  Has anyone ever completed this HM, what is the course like??
    Yes I did this in 2017, scenic but I cursed the whole way around; there was a new hill around every corner!
    I do think I suffered more because it was my 3rd race in 3 weekends... I wasn't (and am still not) fit enough to be at that craic. Get in some hill running on your lead up to it though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

+1 to this,
    I did an 8K handy run yesterday and felt as if my legs were made of stone, so I think that I need to leave it for another few days..

In other news I signed up for the Wicklow 'Gaol Break' HM at the end of March as a few of my friends are doing it for charity (Pieta House).

I have never entered this HM, but I can only imagine it will be a hilly course as Wicklow isn't exactly the flattest of counties to run in. Has anyone ever completed this HM, what is the course like??

Yep, I've done it and yep, it's one of the hilliest I've done.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Same here!

Welcome to the club! I likewise can't wait for new stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

+1 to this,

Im a little bit relieved to read this, I was getting worried. I done an easy 4 miles last week and suffered for the rest of the day, I felt like I'd run the marathon again. Today I went out with the C25K group on our lunch hour in work, I stayed with the tail runner and ended up walking a good bit of it, but now I feel like I'm recovering from a speed session. I'm getting worried I won't make it to the Clontarf half on the 17th, I might see if I can switch to the 5 mile option instead
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Im a little bit relieved to read this, I was getting worried. I done an easy 4 miles last week and suffered for the rest of the day, I felt like I'd run the marathon again. Today I went out with the C25K group on our lunch hour in work, I stayed with the tail runner and ended up walking a good bit of it, but now I feel like I'm recovering from a speed session. I'm getting worried I won't make it to the Clontarf half on the 17th, I might see if I can switch to the 5 mile option instead

Another week will see a difference in your recovery, it depends what you want from the HM - you could do with just enjoying it in mind? But no harm to inquire even for peace of mind to know you have another option. We all recover at different rates too so don't worry if you're still not feeling the love by the 17th - better to take the time to recover now than throw yourself back into it and have a set back in a few weeks time. Mind yourself x

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

ariana` wrote: »
    Another week will see a difference in your recovery, it depends what you want from the HM - you could do with just enjoying it in mind? But no harm to inquire even for peace of mind to know you have another option. We all recover at different rates too so don't worry if you're still not feeling the love by the 17th - better to take the time to recover now than throw yourself back into it and have a set back in a few weeks time. Mind yourself x

Thanks for that :) At this stage I'd be happy to just plod along and enjoy it. I'll reassess this time next week and keep resting up for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

Took 6 days off and I ran 3 miles yesterday.
    Is there anyone else getting the post marathon blues?
    I know it was going to happen to me as this happened to me after the last marathon.
    I am in foul humour, and I want to rip the head off people as they are annoying me.
    I have a race on Sunday and I'm only half interested in going.
    Maybe its the dark evenings.

Jaysus! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Any thoughts as to what kind of stuff you might take on in the next few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

kittyclaws wrote: »
    I mailed Eóin Ryan the other day with the same concern & he said there was no bother using the HM number for the 5 mile instead. Well it was the distance & the cold as club members were warning me off because it’s baltic on the beach for the HM.

coogy wrote: »
    Any thoughts as to what kind of stuff you might take on in the next few months?
    Well my preferred option is 10 mile/half marathon stuff but I need to be doing more of the shorter stuff. Going to do Raheny 5 in January for definite, but aside from that I'm not sure.

My 10k PB is probably my worst one so I'm thinking of targeting that, with some 5k stuff along the way. Then hopefully a half in the autumn, possibly Charleville!
    But first, base building :D You?

Well my preferred option is 10 mile/half marathon stuff but I need to be doing more of the shorter stuff. Going to do Raheny 5 in January for definite, but aside from that I'm not sure.

My 10k PB is probably my worst one so I'm thinking of targeting that, with some 5k stuff along the way. Then hopefully a half in the autumn, possibly Charleville!
    But first, base building :D You?

I'm in a similar boat with my 10k PB, would really like to improve on that. Am tempted to do the exact same races as I did this year.
    Not planning on doing any more races this year though but definitely looking forward to getting back into Parkruns. This Saturday will be my first one since June! Planning to take it easy enough though.

Took 6 days off and I ran 3 miles yesterday.
    Is there anyone else getting the post marathon blues?
    I know it was going to happen to me as this happened to me after the last marathon.
    I am in foul humour, and I want to rip the head off people as they are annoying me.
    I have a race on Sunday and I'm only half interested in going.
    Maybe its the dark evenings.

Considering that the dark evenings won't be going anywhere for a while, I hope for your friends' and family's sake, it's post-marathon blues......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Eoineo wrote: »
    Well it was the distance & the cold as club members were warning me off because it’s baltic on the beach for the HM.

...the run on the beach with a strong wind in your face in the Clontarf Half is an experience....

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

Can someone do us up a fake training plan spreadsheet please to don my fridge, post DCM so far I've had to cut back all the trees out the back, floor the attic and strip wallpaper. IKEA is on the cards tomorrow night and I think this maybe the final nail in my coffin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Can someone do us up a fake training plan spreadsheet please to don my fridge, post DCM so far I've had to cut back all the trees out the back, floor the attic and strip wallpaper. IKEA is on the cards tomorrow night and I think this maybe the final nail in my coffin

Think of it as accrued brownie points for the next training cycle......just make sure to keep a detailed diary of EVERYTHING you are doing, so you can give casual (but deliberate) reminders in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    ...the run on the beach with a strong wind in your face in the Clontarf Half is an experience....

Yep, I did it a year or two ago in the November (there is a spring one too), and the whole 'disposable clothing' trick that you learned for the DCM also works well here too.
    Get an old fleece at least to keep your body warm before the off. The run on the sand (out and back) is the hard bit and don't forget to run behind the biggest person that you can find especially if the wind is blowing into your face.

Great race, but a little bit tougher than it looks....no bother to DCM 18 veterans ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

First run since DCM last night at the Run in the Dark 10k and somehow pulled a PB out of the bag! Legs were like lead for most of it though.

The event itself, although for an excellent cause, was fairly badly organised in my opinion. The 10k runners merged with the 5k runners at our 7k and had no choice but to weave and sometimes stop and walk to get around. Parts of the route were also particularly poorly lit up such as the street behind the 3 arena and there were lots of kerbs and bollards that were hazards. Very dangerous!

Advertisement