Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2017 Graduates: Onwards and upwards!

• 22-11-2017 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

So here it beings the 2017 DCM graduate thread, I hope I can uphold the high standard of the opening post :) and I hope this thread can be as successful as previous years!

Without further ado lets begin, We are no longer marathon novices, it is now time to spread our wings and see what the rest of this year holds for us all and document our goals from here on in.

We had a great team to see us through, we are forever grateful to our mentor Wubbe Wubble and his excellent team :) massive thanks again to you all!!

I hope that in here, we can carry on our team spirit that got us through the DCM novices thread from planning our LSR to the taper madness and everything else in between.

So what is next, a faster 5k, DCM 2018, keeping half Marathon fit or maybe an ultra?

In keeping with the theme of previous years, a few questions to get us started ( I may have copy and pasted from last years graduate thread ;)) Which was started by Muppet and can be found Here

A: What are your next goals?

B: What type of training do you intend to do over the winter?

C: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running?

Also in previous years, an experienced runner would take the Graduates under their wing to help with any questions, training plans etc To our potential coach/ mentor, We thank you!

The link to last years training plan can be found here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Baby75 wrote: »

Just a heads up the calculator that was used for this one was updated

Here is the new link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Here is the new link

Thanks Testosterscone :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Thanks for starting the thread, Baby. A little bitter-sweet - the DCM training now really is well and truly behind (:() but we get to move forward to the next phase of our running careers (:))

A. Goals:
    Maintain fitness
    Keep a decent distance per week going
    Get faster - no pressures last year as every race was a first, therefore a PB. Next year will be the year to put the pressure on and beat those PBs!

B. Winter:
    Was originally planning on upping the distance again, little by little. It's not looking good for that this week so far, a combination of tiredness and weather I think. But I guess, at a minimum, ensure that I get out three times a week, even if it's only a short run that I can face. Then, upping the training in preparation for some races I've already booked.

C. 12 Months:
    Ha! Still on my feet would be just grand and peachy. More than anything though, I want to maintain a basic fitness, a decent weight, and still enjoy the exercise and not see it as a chore. If I've still those in hand this time next year, then I'll be well pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks Baby. Must put my thinking cap on or find a bit of time to answer those questions. I didn’t really take a break after DCM but ended up on an enforced one this week and have missed 3 runs. Hopefully back out tomorrow night with a half on Saturday - that I’m just doing for distance and not racing it.

Anyway, looking forward to being part of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks to Baby75 for getting this one up and running!

You will forever be marathoners, but here's where we start moving forward :D

Best of luck to all! Hope to see some of you at Jingle Bells :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck with the new thread GRADUATES!

This will become a great resource for keeping everyone updated with what's going on and how you are all progressing.

If you are doing Jingle Bells look out for the Scottish Elf!

Quickbeam I have similar goals to you :)

Kellygirl I hope your ok, I ran a half on Sunday and enjoyed it I need to also sit down and think about my answers :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I can recommend this, having used a couple of elements. I've done the base plan twice, the 5-10k section for a 10k race and the intermediate plan for my DCM 2017 training. Coming from the likes of the HHN1, the intermediate one is a good blend of stuff to leap into. It's the cumulative fatigue and mileage effect - and you will feel tired. Don't worry if you don't hit a 20 miler with it, you'll still be prepared for a marathon if you follow the intermediate plan.

Happy hunting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Feel like an impostor as I'm not a graduate ( boo hoo) but will be following this thread with great interest. Need to keep myself motivated while I decide whether I can bring myself to tackle the marathon again.

Doing a running course and a 12 week strength program designed by my physio to see if I can tackle the run of injuries. Only allowed run 5kms at the moment until at least the New Year.

So working at knocking a couple of seconds off my 5km time each time I run a Parkrun ( supposed to be running easy so can't run flat out) and signed up for Raheny.

Going to target a half in April/May with the aim to knock off a decent amount of time off my PB. Will decide on a target once I finish my strength program and see how I am holding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

PS Should this thread be in Training Logs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

leesider77 wrote: »
    PS Should this thread be in Training Logs?

Yes. The 2015 and 2016 graduates threads are here. Keeps things tidy and allows people to stay in touch without putting too much footfall into the main forum. Chapter 1 - novices thread, run DCM. Chapter 2 - life thereafter. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Welcome DCM graduates 2017!

Now that the dust has settled on incredible day in Dublin, it's time to get the ball rolling with the next phase of your running life but first off, I have to say a huge well done to all of you on your achievements over the last few months and on the day itself and you guys absolutely smashed it. I also cannot commend highly enough the efforts of Wubble Wubble, AMK, ScotinDublin(The list goes on and on...:)) in their continous support and guidance throughout. It's a mammoth task and really is fantastic to see the help and encourament that people like them are willing to give which really makes the Novice thread the shining beacon of all the good in this forum.

As for your new mentor, Wubble has passed on the reigns to me to accompany all you guys over the next few months as best I can as you look to explore new goals and adventures (I'm not sweating...I swear:pac:). A little background on myself, I've been running for almost 5 years and run a wide variety of events from the track to the roads to the trails to cross-country. When I'm not running, I'm reading about it. Science is in my blood so along the way, I've developed a huge passion for everything training so hopefully, I can use some of tidbits I've picked up in that time to help you guys in this thread and set you up with some useful knowledge that will help you for the rest of your running life.

Ultimately, you guys are the driving force in this thread and I am only here to guide you in the direction you choose but I will say this. Running is a hugely diverse sport and I'd encourage all of you to explore your options, you'll never know if your true passion in running is just around the corner if you don't look. There are events ranging from 100m to hundreds of miles, different surfaces from tracks to grass and roads to mountains if you so choose and you will never know how much you could enjoy them unless you try.

Instilling a love for running is the best performance enhancer you will ever get and is probably more important than any training you will ever do so find your passion and what makes you tick.

Any questions are more than welcome and encouraged, we're all here to learn and improve so feel free to ask about anything you're not sure of.

Keep those answers coming, they will be a hugely helpful resource for you guys get the best out of this thread.

That's all for now, gotta run:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Excellent choice !! Will be following with interest - lots to learn in here no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Here is the new link

Thanks for that Testosterscone - that Myles Splitz guy didn't know what he was doing.

leesider77 your still a graduate :) great to have you here

Hi El Caballo thanks for taking us on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thanks Baby for getting this thread up and running and El Caballo for stepping into the breach as mentor. It really is much appreciated.

Being new to running I have always had something to aim for, a race in the near future thanks to the race series. I have entered Jingle Bells and the Raheny 5 both because I went to both last year to support my OH and because I have read nothing but good about them on this forum.

I'm now looking for some advice on what I might run after that. Ideally it will be a 10 miler or Half at the end of March/ early April. What would the popular races be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks Baby for getting this thread up and running and El Caballo for stepping into the breach as mentor. It really is much appreciated.

Being new to running I have always had something to aim for, a race in the near future thanks to the race series. I have entered Jingle Bells and the Raheny 5 both because I went to both last year to support my OH and because I have read nothing but good about them on this forum.

I'm now looking for some advice on what I might run after that. Ideally it will be a 10 miler or Half at the end of March/ early April. What would the popular races be?

Trim 10 mile is the week after Raheny so if you plan on running Raheny flat out it may not be a race to consider. The Bohermeen/Mullingar halves are normally mid to late March, both great races on PB friendly routes. You could target one of those post Raheny? Regards a good 10 miler there is normally a good one in St Anne's Pk(Brian Boru) early summer or Mullingar 10 mile in early July.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Trim 10 mile is the week after Raheny so if you plan on running Raheny flat out it may not be a race to consider. The Bohermeen/Mullingar halves are normally mid to late March, both great races on PB friendly routes. You could target one of those post Raheny? Regards a good 10 miler there is normally a good one in St Anne's Pk(Brian Boru) early summer or Mullingar 10 mile in early July.

That's brilliant info thanks. I'll go hard at Raheny if I get in a good 8 week plan after Jingle Bells. Being a 5 miler it'll give me a reference point against the IR 5 which really is where my training to a plan began. For that reason I'd probably not race Trim. The halves sound interesting too.

Quickbeam I have similar goals to you :)

Kellygirl I hope your ok, I ran a half on Sunday and enjoyed it I need to also sit down and think about my answers :)

I’m good now Baby, thanks. Just ran a great 8km tonight. Watch well hidden under my sleeves and chatting to a friend and 2nd fastest 8km I think I’ve done on that particular route. Felt so easy. Maybe breaks are a good thing - who’d have guessed :D:D

Thanks El Caballo for taking us on :-)

So to answer the questions in the first post:

Short term I’m going for 1000 miles for 2017 and have 90 left to do. I really want to do a sub 2 hour half marathon and just get faster in general. I absolutely loved every minute of DCM and had said I wouldn’t do more marathons after it due to the time required to train. I don’t mind it myself but I feel guilty about my husband minding the kids when I’m out doing long runs. Needless to say I’m now dithering whether to do another one next year .... or two next year .... or get faster and faster in half marathons!

Planning on doing 3x5mile runs a week and one long run of around 10 miles more or less. Adding in a couple of half marathons here and there and whatever local races pop up. I love running with people and enjoying my runs. I mainly want to keep up my fitness levels while I decide what I want next.

Faster, fitter and running the same distances and lots more miles in my legs.

• Advertisement

Stay healthy, avoid injury and smash PBs! Not much to ask :D

Want to hit 2,000km for the year, still 250 to go so that'll keep me honest. I'll do an 8 week plan for Raheny and then a half plan.

I'd like to be running with more confidence. Everything to date has been with a big negative split due to my lacking belief in sustaining a pace and taking it easy for the first half of every distance. In 12 months I'd love to be aiming at 1500-1700 miles for the year. I'd also like to be in a club.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’m good now Baby, thanks. Just ran a great 8km tonight. Watch well hidden under my sleeves and chatting to a friend and 2nd fastest 8km I think I’ve done on that particular route. Felt so easy. Maybe breaks are a good thing - who’d have guessed :D:D

It is nice when that happens I am glad your feeling good, I have noticed my easy pace is quicker as well, I rested my calf for a few days and got out today for 6km and my average pace was a lot quicker than I expected the pace was nice and easy
    best of all no niggles during or after I ran :) I hope I have recovered now!

I have the Waterford Half marathon on the 2nd of December and I like to race it push myself and see what I can do, my current time is 2hr 11 minutes, I was thinking of running with the 2hr10 pacers reaching that or anything below it would be great :D

It is nice when that happens I am glad your feeling good, I have noticed my easy pace is quicker as well, I rested my calf for a few days and got out today for 6km and my average pace was a lot quicker than I expected the pace was nice and easy
    best of all no niggles during or after I ran :) I hope I have recovered now!

I have the Waterford Half marathon on the 2nd of December and I like to race it push myself and see what I can do, my current time is 2hr 11 minutes, I was thinking of running with the 2hr10 pacers reaching that or anything below it would be great :D

Sounds like a good idea and you could prob push on at half way. What are the hills like? Maybe drop back on those and speed up on downhills rather than an even pace. Clonakilty is very hilly so no way could I do an even pace so that’s where that is coming from.

So about now, a lot of you guys will be starting to feel recovered after the marathon and may even be starting to feel strong again, don't worry if you may have lost some speed over the last while either as the marathon will provide you an excellent base to regain that over the next few weeks. It's also probably time to start thinking about training and how to implent it. It's important to know that training that the best training is the one that suits you as an individual and takes your strengths and weaknesses into account but the key points are pertinent across the board.

Aerobic Development/Base:

You are probably familiar with this as this type of training made up the vast majority of your marathon training. This is your endurance and is hugely important in distance running and the dominant factor for your performance from 800m all the way up to Ultra marathons and will make up most of your training every week. A strong base of aerobic running will make you faster and stonger. The ranges of running intensity to improve this are are between Tempo and recovery runs including efforts like easy runs, Marathon pace runs (even if you aren't training for a marathon) and steady runs which would fall between MP and easy as well as as Tempo runs mentioned above. Any running you do at those intensities will directly improve your aerobic endurance.

Race Specific Training-

This is what makes you sharp and be in peak shape come raceday. It builds on top of the aerobic base you have built to run faster. The idea with this type is to get your body used to the stress of running at race pace. Alot of the time especially with distances of 10k and under, this is achieved through interval training or speedwork where you run at race pace for a given time/or distance with a recovery in between. Intervals are usually broken down into to smaller segments like doing 800m repeats at 5k pace etc with recovery before the next one etc. The idea behind this is to breakdown the pace into more manageable sections and gradually progress as you get closer to raceday without the stress that running a flat out race takes on you when not tapered. Kind of similar to how many of you ran 20 miles in training for the marathon but ran 26.2. For the marathon distance itself, specific training mostly revolves around marathon paced running like tacking on MP miles to the end of a long run or having a midweek session at marathon pace.

Strength, Conditioning And Mobility

This is a big but often forgot about part of training, As many people here came to running late in life,our bodies are a little bit out of whack on this side of things as we've picked up bad habits, weaknesses and muscalar imbalances over the years. This can be cause for poor running form and injuries as some muscles may not be able to work right or to their fullest potential. Good attention to strength and mobility can work out a lot of these kinks and help your performance as well as resistance to injury and consistency in running will lead to breakthroughs so this is an important one.

Racing Skills:

This is something that will improve hugely through experience. Knowing when to push and when to hold back and generally getting a good feel for your body. It will take practice and patience to get right whether you are the person who goes out too quick and fades or the person who goes out too slow and finishes like Usain Bolt. Experiment and get out and race!

As I mentioned earlier, the best training for anyone is the one that suits your strengths and weaknesses. How do you find that? Well... the first part is identifying where your emphasis should be and then take your ideas from there to understand what you need from training. I borrowed(or stole...whatever:pac ) this idea from Myles Splitz's thread here but thought it might be useful for a lot of you guys to get thinking about your own training and where you need to put emphasis on to improve. This will be something you can come back to any point in future when you need to access your position again

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101621143

Strength/Power
    This is gym strength/ explosive power and speed in relation to how well you cover ground (i.e if you 100m speed is the same as your 1 mile speed you could guess this is probably poor)
    Posture and Form
    This is your day to day form and how your running form is in relation to niggles/ injuries that have been picked which were postural related as well as how efficient your stride may be (for performance as well as injury prevention
    Aerobic Engine
    This is where most people will look when evaluating and feel that they were not aerobically strong enough and whether there Marathon stacks up with shorter distance PB's
    Focus/Discipline
    This goes beyond simply motivating yourself to get out every day but asking yourself, did you drop many days without an honest justifiable reason, did you follow your plan exactly, did you run correct intensities (hard days sufficiently hard and easy days truly easy)
    Robustness
    While it ties in with the others regarding injury sometimes it can be a way to highlight an issue in training we don't realize we are making

Strength/Power| 5/10etc
    Posture and Form|
    Aerobic Engine|
    Focus/Discipline|
    Robustness|

Hopefully this proves useful and can get you guys thinking and sharing insight on your training. I hope to get going on drawing up a few plans for this years Graduate thread over the next while which will hopefully be up after Jingle Bells/Waterford Half. No offense taken if you don't want to use it:p but it could come in handy in illustrating some ideas and thoughts when creating or critiquing a plan. I will say that the graduate plan Baby has in her opening post is excellent with great attention to detail and ability level so I would recommend everyone have a look or think about it. Most importantly, explore your options!:)

This is a great idea! I'll spend some time mulling over it though. Looking forward to the training plans too. I've joined a gym to help address strength and flexibility issues. I had planned to use the running track there for some interval training but I read on another thread that the track surface is a danger to my health! :pac:

Sounds like a good idea and you could prob push on at half way. What are the hills like? Maybe drop back on those and speed up on downhills rather than an even pace. Clonakilty is very hilly so no way could I do an even pace so that’s where that is coming from.

It has a quick downhill start with a hill in the second mile, so it's fairly hilly but with some downhills to recover on, looks like a big one at the 9.5-mile mark and last about a mile so I will work out a plan for pacing it :) I was reading some race reports to get a good idea lol

El Caballo some great information there :) thanks

It has a quick downhill start with a hill in the second mile, so it's fairly hilly but with some downhills to recover on, looks like a big one at the 9.5-mile mark and last about a mile so I will work out a plan for pacing it :) I was reading some race reports to get a good idea lol

El Caballo some great information there :) thanks

Must find some race reports for Clonakilty last year to do the same and start looking at elevation profiles. I did it myself but my watch froze and lost the data. Want to plan my pacing for that.

Must find some race reports for Clonakilty last year to do the same and start looking at elevation profiles. I did it myself but my watch froze and lost the data. Want to plan my pacing for that.

Has the course remained the same for years? Here's the 2012 profile....http://www.mapmyrun.com/ie/clonakilty-m/clonakilty-waterfront-half-marathon-cour-route-71709704

Has the course remained the same for years? Here's the 2012 profile....http://www.mapmyrun.com/ie/clonakilty-m/clonakilty-waterfront-half-marathon-cour-route-71709704

Thanks S. Yes it’s changed since then. That hill is still there though!

• Advertisement

This is a great idea! I'll spend some time mulling over it though. Looking forward to the training plans too. I've joined a gym to help address strength and flexibility issues. I had planned to use the running track there for some interval training but I read on another thread that the track surface is a danger to my health! :pac:

:pac: They're not called track fairies for nothing;)

Great stuff Skyblue! You're well ahead of the game:)

Got you covered;)

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1563654394

El Caballo wrote: »

That’s the one. Thanks a mill. Need to have a good think about it. Not quite a pb course but worth a shot anyway :-)

:pac: They're not called track fairies for nothing;)

Great stuff Skyblue! You're well ahead of the game:)

Haha...I joined Alsaa. I presume that while the track might be sh1t it'll be fine for 400 intervals. I've yet to set foot on it.

Stay healthy, avoid injury and smash PBs! Not much to ask :D

Want to hit 2,000km for the year, still 250 to go so that'll keep me honest. I'll do an 8 week plan for Raheny and then a half plan.

I'd like to be running with more confidence. Everything to date has been with a big negative split due to my lacking belief in sustaining a pace and taking it easy for the first half of every distance. In 12 months I'd love to be aiming at 1500-1700 miles for the year. I'd also like to be in a club.

Changed my mind already on (B)... I'm going to go with the 14 week half plan that's on the plans for this thread. It's 14 weeks and will take me up to the Bohermeen half. I'll just fit Raheny in and give it a lash.

As for (A) I got at PB today for 5k, 21:49 which beat my 22.52 from last year. It's not so impressive when you consider my last 5k in the Fingal was 22:09. Then again it was a cold morning.

Changed my mind already on (B)... I'm going to go with the 14 week half plan that's on the plans for this thread. It's 14 weeks and will take me up to the Bohermeen half. I'll just fit Raheny in and give it a lash.

As for (A) I got at PB today for 5k, 21:49 which beat my 22.52 from last year. It's not so impressive when you consider my last 5k in the Fingal was 22:09. Then again it was a cold morning.

I think it is impressive when you are at those shorter times anyway. Well done!

I think it is impressive when you are at those shorter times anyway. Well done!

Thanks :) The marathon seems to have knocked the wind out of a lot of sails. This thread hasn't drawn many of them out yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Great to see this thread up and running, completely forgot to pop in! I still regard the day to be one of the best of my life, what an experience...

Anyways,

Sub 19 5k for over the winter definitely anyways. Marathon wise, ill definitely do it again next year, and id absolutely love to get closer to 3:30 (injury free of course) and get my half down to 1:30(ish).

Nothing major to be honest, anyone who follows me on strava or my log on here will see I havent been putting in crazy miles, ive been catching up on everything I missed midweek while doing the training for DCM, just a couple runs here and there. Doing speed work once/twice a week but, and absolutely loving pushing myself that much once a week and then plodding along on my other runs.

In the best shape of my life that I can push myself to, HOPEFULLY in a club as I definitely enjoy running with people more, and I wanna do either a half/full marathon abroad :)

Hopefully we can all push each other to the next level like we all did in the Novices thread, I still owe a lot of what I achieved to a lot of people on here, bunch of legends.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Great to see this thread up and running, completely forgot to pop in! I still regard the day to be one of the best of my life, what an experience...

Anyways,

Sub 19 5k for over the winter definitely anyways. Marathon wise, ill definitely do it again next year, and id absolutely love to get closer to 3:30 (injury free of course) and get my half down to 1:30(ish).

Nothing major to be honest, anyone who follows me on strava or my log on here will see I havent been putting in crazy miles, ive been catching up on everything I missed midweek while doing the training for DCM, just a couple runs here and there. Doing speed work once/twice a week but, and absolutely loving pushing myself that much once a week and then plodding along on my other runs.

In the best shape of my life that I can push myself to, HOPEFULLY in a club as I definitely enjoy running with people more, and I wanna do either a half/full marathon abroad :)

Hopefully we can all push each other to the next level like we all did in the Novices thread, I still owe a lot of what I achieved to a lot of people on here, bunch of legends.

Fair play Damo. They are good achievable goals which I have no doubt you will get. You'll deserve it for your enthusiasm never mind that you're a young fast fcuker! I met Lazare today and no doubt he'll be back on here soon enough once he settles with the babby!

Anyways,

Good to see you here Damo. I think the 29th October is going to be hard to beat!

Great goals.

Thanks :) The marathon seems to have knocked the wind out of a lot of sails. This thread hasn't yet drawn many of them out yet!

True. Hopefully more will feel up to joining soon.

I thought I posted but it's vanished lol

Damo great to see you here great goals to have for the new year I'm looking forward to working on some speed work 1 more half to go and then going to start a new plan in the new year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I love the amount of events you go to, really jealous actually :D I think its one thing ill try do more in 2018, not necessarily race every single one of them but no harm in getting to an event to enjoy the atmosphere. I love the fact you do so many but dont race all of them, the temptation to burst out would be too much for me and thats something else I need to do in 2018 haha! Keep the slow runs, slow...

I love the amount of events you go to, really jealous actually :D I think its one thing ill try do more in 2018, not necessarily race every single one of them but no harm in getting to an event to enjoy the atmosphere. I love the fact you do so many but dont race all of them, the temptation to burst out would be too much for me and thats something else I need to do in 2018 haha! Keep the slow runs, slow...

They don't have to be slow runs, you can build sessions into them. Or let a short race be your speed session for the week.

So I’m scheduled to run Clonakilty half next Saturday week and toying with the idea of changing to the full. I think from looking at the FAQs that I can change distance on the morning. What I’m thinking is if I’m feeling really good, weather is perfect then why not? It’s not a pb course so i’d just be doing it to finish it and i’d be happy to do it in 4:30 so don’t think i’d be putting myself under pressure considering Dublin was 4:20 and I could have probably done it faster.

Am I completely mad? Longest run since Dublin is the half marathon yesterday and I honestly did not have a twinge after it. Easily ran 8km tonight in wind and rain.

So I’m scheduled to run Clonakilty half next Saturday week and toying with the idea of changing to the full. I think from looking at the FAQs that I can change distance on the morning. What I’m thinking is if I’m feeling really good, weather is perfect then why not? It’s not a pb course so i’d just be doing it to finish it and i’d be happy to do it in 4:30 so don’t think i’d be putting myself under pressure considering Dublin was 4:20 and I could have probably done it faster.

Am I completely mad? Longest run since Dublin is the half marathon yesterday and I honestly did not have a twinge after it. Easily ran 8km tonight in wind and rain.

Honestly I think you're in your comfort zone and could do it. On the other hand the body will need some respite at some point. I've noticed the experienced runners on here target their races well in advance and build in rest and easy days. I suppose it depends on whether you want more PBs or just enjoy the atmosphere and taking part in race days.

Honestly I think you're in your comfort zone and could do it. On the other hand the body will need some respite at some point. I've noticed the experienced runners on here target their races well in advance and build in rest and easy days. I suppose it depends on whether you want more PBs or just enjoy the atmosphere and taking part in race days.

This would def just be about taking part in the event and I would def not look to beat my DCM time. It’s very hilly so i’d be taking it very easy on those. I think I might prepare next week food wise as if i’m doing the full and if everything feels right on the day i’ll go for it. I’m regretting not doing the full yesterday. The half took nothing out of me and nearly feel like a fraud getting a medal for it. Plenty time to rest after as coming up to Xmas and besides getting to my 1000 miles i’ve no other plans and i’m at 71 now so that will be grand with a marathon thrown in there.

Well then I'd say go for it. If you had any plans for a target race in the first 3 months of the year it would be time to knuckle down to a plan that would be more beneficial than running a marathon. Maybe you're one of the people that can run multiple marathons a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Great stuff N for getting this thread going, and fair play El Caballo for taking us under your wing, some really great stuff from you so far.

A pb at Jingle Bells. Have never raced 5k before, my parkrun pb is 22:10. I'm confident that I can beat it. Have come close to it twice post marathon at parkrun, both times after Friday night beers. November is 'letting the hair down' month. Went to a gig last Friday, had a fair few beverages, got in late due to a broken down nitelink then ran 22:36 the following morning. Serious business now, with a healthy week and an early night next Friday I'm confident I can beat it.

Then the focus is Raheny.

Love winter running. I'm starting a homemade 8 week plan next week after Jingle Bells, targetting Raheny. Easy Tue, Speed session Wed incorporating the McMillan 10k workout every second week, easy Thursday, parkrun Sat. Might alternate running parkrun hard and easy and on easy weeks try get an LSR in on Sunday.

In the exact same position, aiming for PBs.

Am I completely mad?

Yes:p

Personally, I don't know how anyone does back to back marathons like that. I can't imagine been able to do it but maybe I'm just not built for that sort of thing, one seems to be hard enough for me:pac:

I know for many, that first marathon experience will feel hard to top and a bit like chasing the magic dragon but running is game of patience. Where I worry here is that your body might not be fully up to the task of handling the rigors of the racing. A single marathon alone is tough and when you add a half this weekend on top of it with a marathon next weekend again, I think you are asking a lot of your body to resist and I woner where you draw the line or it gets drawn for you (injuries, sickness etc). A marathon, even 10 minutes slower than your best is no easy task, even running 26 miles is no easy task and especially since you don't seem to have slowed down at all since Dublin.

I know your motivated right now and want to push on but there's many ways to use that motivation like a spring marathon and use that fire to up your training over the next few months. A sub-4 could be a very likely possibility for you come springtime or even Cork;) so maybe be something to think about.

Yes:p

Personally, I don't know how anyone does back to back marathons like that. I can't imagine been able to do it but maybe I'm just not built for that sort of thing, one seems to be hard enough for me:pac:

I know for many, that first marathon experience will feel hard to top and a bit like chasing the magic dragon but running is game of patience. Where I worry here is that your body might not be fully up to the task of handling the rigors of the racing. A single marathon alone is tough and when you add a half this weekend on top of it with a marathon next weekend again, I think you are asking a lot of your body to resist and I woner where you draw the line or it gets drawn for you (injuries, sickness etc). A marathon, even 10 minutes slower than your best is no easy task, even running 26 miles is no easy task and especially since you don't seem to have slowed down at all since Dublin.

I know your motivated right now and want to push on but there's many ways to use that motivation like a spring marathon and use that fire to up your training over the next few months. A sub-4 could be a very likely possibility for you come springtime or even Cork;) so maybe be something to think about.

I think I don’t put myself under huge pressure physically doing races so that’s why I can keep going or have been able to recently. I wouldn’t be very confident of my endurance if I pushed the pace so I stay comfortable so I know I can keep going. I have a fear of blowing up and not enjoying a race!

Yesterday doing the MCI Half there were a number doing the full totally at their leisure. The full was 5 laps and there was a table that people had left all their fuel at and literally people were stopping, having a drink and sweets and off they’d go again. I was thinking I could have easily done that too!!!

Then my last reason for thinking of doing it is that i’m not sure I’m in a position to do any more marathons. So much as I’d love to give Cork a bash again in June I think it will have to be the half but I will go hell for leather for that and that’s my next race after this anyway. Sub 4 in Cork would be some dream though - can’t imagine it!

I think I don’t put myself under huge pressure physically doing races so that’s why I can keep going or have been able to recently. I wouldn’t be very confident of my endurance if I pushed the pace so I stay comfortable so I know I can keep going. I have a fear of blowing up and not enjoying a race!

Yesterday doing the MCI Half there were a number doing the full totally at their leisure. The full was 5 laps and there was a table that people had left all their fuel at and literally people were stopping, having a drink and sweets and off they’d go again. I was thinking I could have easily done that too!!!

Then my last reason for thinking of doing it is that i’m not sure I’m in a position to do any more marathons. So much as I’d love to give Cork a bash again in June I think it will have to be the half but I will go hell for leather for that and that’s my next race after this anyway. Sub 4 in Cork would be some dream though - can’t imagine it!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that anything I say isn't going to change your mind:pac: All I can do is share my thoughts. If you do decide to do it, just go handy and if anything doesn't feel right, don't be afraid to knock it on the head. You'll have many more great days ahead if you look after yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement