Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

By chance I ended up in a little coffee shop and farm shop in Wales in September.

I picked up a bottle "Penderyn" welsh single malt whisky in said shop.

It is actually quite nice. Opened it up tonight.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rew wrote: »
    Personally I hate cold whisky but I do add a few drops of water to the 46% and above bottles.

I’d agree with that approach. Some benefit, some don’t there is a line. Personal taste of course.
    But I can’t think why single malt status would be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    I’d agree with that approach. Some benefit, some don’t there is a line. Personal taste of course.
    But I can’t think why single malt status would be a factor.

It's because people who don't know what they're talking about attach some particular prestige status to the label of single malt and further think that adding water takes away from that prestige.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

fmul9798 wrote: »
    In the US a few weeks back

Aha, same here yeah. Thought they were exporting for a minute there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Quackster wrote: »
    Roe & Co now €25 in Tesco. Have yet to try it but I couldn't really leave it behind at that price!

Picked one up myself today, looking forward to trying it!

What are everyone's opinions on it so far?
    Is it just bit of mass produced stuff for Diageo to enhance market share?

Anyway, definitely worth a punt at 25 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

They didn't own any Irish whiskey brands so made sense to get back into it.
    And there's a ton of money to be made out of visitor experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Picked one up myself today, looking forward to trying it! What are everyone's opinions on it so far?
    Anyway, definitely worth a punt at 25 quid.

I presume it will be quite some time before we get anything from the new distillery but not sure where current product sourced from.

It is a bit of a step up to your basic Bushmills or whatever in that it is bottled at 46% to be used in cocktails (not long mixers). Think Teelings also usually bottled at 46%.

I have used it in cocktails (nice) and also just with ice it has strong vanilla\apple flavours, different to usual whiskey flavours, v smooth.

I remember reading some promo material on it that it was a mix of grain and malt whiskey, aged 5-8 years but can't find a source for that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    not sure where current product sourced from.

I curiously asked at the original launch of the distillery and was told it came "from a factory on the Nangor Road".

Effects wrote: »
    I curiously asked at the original launch of the distillery and was told it came "from a factory on the Nangor Road".

Wiki says thats where Baileys is produced... but there is no distillery there.

I think the Diageo rep I asked didn't really know much about whiskey.
    This was at the launch of the brand, in the current distillery building, but before they did any of the work on it.

I'm not sure where they actually source their whiskey from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Quackster wrote: »
    Roe & Co now €25 in Tesco. Have yet to try it but I couldn't really leave it behind at that price!

Tried the cask strength at the weekend and was very impressed.

Bought the regular 45% bottle for €25 in Tesco today and just tried it. Smooth and soft but very little depth or character.

If it was a white wine I'd call it "slightly sweet inoffensive easy drinking".

Good value for money at €25 but wouldn't pay more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Effects wrote: »

Very possibly it's bottled there. It's a big facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 EugeC90

I did the Powerhouse tour on Sunday (with the Christmas Wreath making to keep the missus happy) and couldn't recommend it enough.

You start by tasting their core product, then onto a cocktail making class and finish in the bar with a drinks voucher. I got to taste the curator series which they said is a limited release and a step above the core bottling and also the cask strength which I am going to buy a bottle off as soon as I can. That said I never actually used the drinks voucher as they are happy enough to give out stock with the hope you buy something in the shop at the end.

The tour guide let slip that the majority was sourced from the oldest most northern distillery so Ill let you take a wild guess at that one!!

It's because people who don't know what they're talking about attach some particular prestige status to the label of single malt and further think that adding water takes away from that prestige.
    ;)
    To be fair, you don't need a distillery to produce whiskey. You just need new make spirit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would presume Baileys plant has all the appropriate bonding etc which means they *could* be aging there. However I'd guess it is just bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

EugeC90 wrote:
    I did the Powerhouse tour on Sunday (with the Christmas Wreath making to keep the missus happy) and couldn't recommend it enough.

EugeC90 wrote:
    The tour guide let slip that the majority was sourced from the oldest most northern distillery so Ill let you take a wild guess at that one!!

Is that the powerscourt tour? Noel Sweeney is their master distiller. He worked with John Teeling for years so their stock is bought in but a lot of it's stuff Sweeney had distilled previously.

Cazale wrote: »
    Is that the powerscourt tour? Noel Sweeney is their master distiller. He worked with John Teeling for years so their stock is bought in but a lot of it's stuff Sweeney had distilled previously.

Powerhouse. Former Guinness site in Dublin.

Mellor wrote:

Ah right I thought it was a typo. There are so many places these days it's hard to keep up!

I was at a medieval Christmas market in the small town of Vic in Catalunuya last Friday. There was a German guy there who has an interest in all things spirits, travels around the world visiting and working with and for distilleries.

He said he's never been as excited about a newcomer to the market than the Waterford distillery. Tradition, technology, expertise, sustainability. It has it all.

Thought it pretty cool to here a German lad raving about Irish whiskey in the back arse of nowhere in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mellor wrote: »

You mean Roe & Co yes?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Santa sorting me out with a nice Yamasaki 12 if he knows what's good for him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 EugeC90

Yes, Roe and Co.

I visited the Teelings Distillery aswell and I thought the Roe and Co a better experience. The Whiskey tasting at the end of the Teeling was great but the tour of the distillery itself was a bit boring which could have been tour guide dependent but I wouldnt rush back.

EugeC90 wrote:
    I visited the Teelings Distillery aswell and I thought the Roe and Co a better experience. The Whiskey tasting at the end of the Teeling was great but the tour of the distillery itself was a bit boring which could have been tour guide dependent but I wouldnt rush back.

I did Teeling in the summer and it's a victim of its own success. It had an almost Guinness storehouse vibe about it with the level of tourists milling around it.

The best tour I did recently was at the Royal Oak distillery in Carlow. I visited the week production was down for maintenance so I was able to stick my head into equipment that was normally off limits. It was like visiting Willy Wonkas chocolate factory!

Cazale wrote: »
    I visited the week production was down for maintenance so I was able to stick my head into equipment that was normally off limits. It was like visiting Willy Wonkas chocolate factory!

Which equipment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Picked up a bottle of cardhu inn Tesco for €30 tonight

That's a friggin bargin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭donaghs

To continue on that theme...

Some LIDLs might still have the Ben Bracken Scotch whisky sampler set in store.
    For €10 it had three miniatures for Speyside, Highland and Islay style whisky.

I liked the Speyside a lot, Highland was nice, not a fan of the Islay as it was peated but that probably reflects that I like the Glenlivet \ Glenfiddich Speyside style.

There are some distilleries which are harder to categorise, e.g. Jura, I really like their non-peated stuff but they have some peated ones also I think.

Anyone seen the big bottles of Ben bracken in a Lidl recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Lidl Monaghan has Speyside and Islay

There were two Irish whiskies in the Whisky Advocate Top 20 of the Year:
    * Writers Tears Double Oak
    * Powers Three Swallow

Also in the Top 20 was the Talisker release for Game of Thrones, and Laphroaig Càirdeas Cask Strength Triple Wood.

The overall winner was George Dickel 13 year old - the other major Tennessee Whiskey brand.

In the new releases, the Dingle Single Malt Batch #4 got a great review (91).

And I wasn't aware of it previously, but Jameson Caskmates Revolution Brewing - barrels seasoned with Chicago based Revolution Brewing’s Fist City pale ale - got a pretty decent score for its price bracket at 89 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

There were two Irish whiskies in the Whisky Advocate Top 20 of the Year:
    * Writers Tears Double Oak
    * Powers Three Swallow

Also in the Top 20 was the Talisker release for Game of Thrones, and Laphroaig Càirdeas Cask Strength Triple Wood.

The overall winner was George Dickel 13 year old - the other major Tennessee Whiskey brand.

In the new releases, the Dingle Single Malt Batch #4 got a great review (91).

And I wasn't aware of it previously, but Jameson Caskmates Revolution Brewing - barrels seasoned with Chicago based Revolution Brewing’s Fist City pale ale - got a pretty decent score for its price bracket at 89 points.

I wouldn't take whisky advocate too seriously. Out of the 20. 8 are bourbon. All really good bourbon though but being a US website and having almost half of the top 20 bourbons doesn't look like they are being fair.

• Advertisement

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I wouldn't take whisky advocate too seriously. Out of the 20. 8 are bourbon. All really good bourbon though but being a US website and having almost half of the top 20 bourbons doesn't look like they are being fair.

Yeah I take it with pinch of salt but gives you an idea of the trends/styles in favour and what irish whiskies are getting buzz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement