Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,235 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got a bottle of the Aldi 12 year old Irish single malt earlier. It's quite light in colour, doesn't appear to have caramel added.

First impressions are a bit disappointing. It's a decent whiskey, especially given the price (€24.95), but I expected more from a 12 year old Irish single malt. It's like a somewhat smoother version of white label Bushmills - no bad thing at the price, if it had no age statement!

Not a lot going on with fruity flavours etc. A little bit of mango on the way in if I was pushed to say so, then a bit of burn, and nothing really on the aftertaste as the burn fades.

I suppose no distillery (and there weren't many of them here 12 years ago) is going to give away their best aged spirit to Aldi to sell at a knockdown price.

I never got the chance to taste their 26 year old but I'm led to believe it was quite good especially given the price.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Got a bottle of the Aldi 12 year old Irish single malt earlier. It's quite light in colour, doesn't appear to have caramel added.

First impressions are a bit disappointing. It's a decent whiskey, especially given the price (€24.95), but I expected more from a 12 year old Irish single malt. It's like a somewhat smoother version of white label Bushmills - no bad thing at the price if it had no age statement!

Not a lot going on with fruity flavours etc. A little bit of mango on the way in if I was pushed to say so, then a bit of burn, and nothing really on the aftertaste as the burn fades.

I suppose no distillery (and there weren't many of them here 12 years ago) is going to give away their best aged spirit to Aldi to sell at a knockdown price.

I never got the chance to taste their 26 year old but I'm led to believe it was quite good especially given the price.

Jaysus, you must eat a lot of mangoes.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

?
    A breif perusal of your posts on this forum seems to indicate you like Scotches, whiich is fine, you'd likely find this one lacking in flavour so.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,132 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

First impressions are a bit disappointing. It's a decent whiskey, especially given the price (€24.95), but I expected more from a 12 year old Irish single malt. It's like a somewhat smoother version of white label Bushmills - no bad thing at the price, if it had no age statement!
    Holds slightly less weight when you knows it's bushmills in advance. Hard to shake that expectation.

I imagine it's just bourbon, rather than the sherry/madeira casks typical of Bushmills singles malts. In which case it'd be closest to the 10 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Going to get myself a Christmas present of either Midleton Very Rare or Redbreast 21yr old,which would be the better of the two?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Going to get myself a Christmas present of either Midleton Very Rare or Redbreast 21yr old,which would be the better of the two?

Redbreast 21 would be my choice for drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Not a particular fan of either for the price, if I’m honest. Would lean towards MVR, though I know that’s not the popular choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Middleton looks better, redbreast tastes better would be my one line summation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Bushmills 10 - €30 in Tesco.

Never seen it that low before.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Darc19 wrote: »
    Bushmills 10 - €30 in Tesco.

Never seen it that low before.

This time last year it was the same price. It was posted about in this thread at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I picked up a Bushmills 10, Glenlivet and Walker Black Label in Tesco, Roxboro, Limerick.

No Black Barrel or Talisker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If anyone is passing through Schiphol airport, download the airport app and get the €5 off voucher for any alcohol over €40. I got a litre bottle of Teeling small batch for a little less than 70cl retail price here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭54and56

So did a little Xmas shopping just now:-

Tesco
    Talisker €30
    Johnnie Walker Black €30
    Bushmills 10yr €30
    Jameson Black Barrel €30

O'Brien's
    Connemara Peated €36
    Roe&Co cask strength €58

Good value/selection?

Still on the hunt for a peated Scotch, preferably Ardbeg which O'Brien's carry but my local shop doesn't have in stock.

Any suggested alternatives other than Laphroaig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

Hogzy wrote: »
    Teeling Single Pot Still Batch 1 (which to be fair is a 3yr whiskey) had a €55 RRP and there were 6,000 bottles in the first batch.

The value of a bottle of Batch 1 has gone up in value to €80-100 but Teeling would be a much better known brand and its a much rarer whiskey considering the number of bottles in the first release.

The Drumshambo reeks of being a rip off!

Guess I should have bought 2 bottles of the Teeling cause I drank my Batch 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

No Black Barrel or Talisker.

Talisker in my Tesco wasn't on shelf. Had to ask to get them from storeroom.

Saw a bottle of dreamcask 32 on sale for €2000 today in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you're in Dublin and want a chance to sample the Drumshanbo release, there's a tasting of the Shed Distillery range in Sweeneys D3 next week:
    https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/the-shed-friends-spirit-cocktail-tasting-sweeneys-d3-tickets-82370918635

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Picked up a Caskmates Stout Edition €25 and a Black Barrel €30, Tesco, and had a €10 off voucher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Cormo87

Cazale wrote: »
    Saw a bottle of dreamcask 32 on sale for €2000 today in Dublin!

Would that have been in James Foxes on across from trinity college?

Was in there on Monday with my wife having a look and she seen it going for €2,000. I'm lucky to own a bottle of dreamcask 32 and the ball finally dropped with her how much it was worth and I could see her thinking of what she could spend the money on. She was swiftly told where to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Cormo87

Have picked up a bottle of the new drumshambo release and the Roe and Co cask strength for Christmas.

I would agree that the drumshambo bottle is over priced, however my mother is from Drumshambo so I had to buy a bottle to try it.

Can't wait to crack open both over xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Cormo87 wrote: »

Was in there on Monday with my wife having a look and she seen it going for €2,000. I'm lucky to own a bottle of dreamcask 32 and the ball finally dropped with her how much it was worth and I could see her thinking of what she could spend the money on. She was swiftly told where to go

Its insane that the Dreamcask 32 is fetching that much and the Dreamcask 20 is only fetching around 500 euro on the market. I know there is vast differences in the age profile but not so much to justify such a difference in market value.

Cormo87 wrote:

It was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'd sell it and buy more whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Had a significant birthday recently and received a bottle of 12 year old Loch Lomond whisky. It's goes down very well indeed and is a good antidote to the colds and viruses doing the rounds at the moment.

Prior to that, I consumed a lovely bottle of Talisker Storm which is distilled on the Isle of Skye. I visited the Talisker distillery there a few years back and it's a great place.
    I had some Loch Lomond recently it's fantastic; most scotch is either firewater rubbish , or peaty pseuds corner nonsense but Loch Lomond is as good as Irish at half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭54and56

RasTa wrote: »

Looks like I got lucky with my timing for once!!

Its insane that the Dreamcask 32 is fetching that much and the Dreamcask 20 is only fetching around 500 euro on the market. I know there is vast differences in the age profile but not so much to justify such a difference in market value.

The market price reflects the quality of the product.
    The 32 is far superior. The 20, while impressive just didn't justify a whole lot over retail.
    The 32 is a different beast altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

mik_da_man wrote: »
    The market price reflects the quality of the product.
    The 32 is far superior. The 20, while impressive just didn't justify a whole lot over retail.
    The 32 is a different beast altogether.

Cant say I have had the luxury of trying either unfortunately. I own a bottle of the DC20 but no plan to open it just yet.

At that sort of price level does it matter what it tastes like? Who is going to actually drink a 2k bottle?? :eek:

• Advertisement

Cant say I have had the luxury of trying either unfortunately. I own a bottle of the DC20 but no plan to open it just yet.

Ah ok, yeah I've both. 32 is amazing stuff.
    I don't think I'd be paying 2k for it, was lucky to get a few at launch. And did a bottle share of it and the 20 so have compared side by side

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement