Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got a bottle of this last night - brings me to 4 Japanese products in the cupboard, don't think I even have that many Americans currently!

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Japanese-Whiskies/Nikka-Japanese-Whiskies/Nikka-Days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Darc19 wrote: »
    Never saw that. At least they were straight up about the provenance.

I did the dingle distillery tour in 2016.
    The guy giving the tour was straight up as well. Said the first batch of whiskey was shít and not worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My brother turned up with a bottle of lagavulin 16 year old for some work I did form him a while back. Beautiful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭interlocked

Just had a shot of Dair Gaelach, they wouldn't charge me because it wasn't a full measure. God I love my local.
    Also had a 12 year Connemara, very disappointing, very thin, not a patch on an Islay,

Yellow spot, really good, put the Connemara to shame

• Registered Users Posts: 39,141 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

they wouldn't charge me because it wasn't a full measure. God I love my local.
    Don't shots in pubs have to be 35ml legally?
    If so, they probably could charge you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Also had a 12 year Connemara, very disappointing, very thin, not a patch on an Islay,

I have never taken a liking to Connemara.

But I do really love Kilchomans Machir Bay. Lots of interesting Whiskys from Islay.

Have you ever tried a Smokehead ?

/M

Master of Malt were sending me a bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain that I won. But when I opened it, it contained a bottle of Macallen 12 instead.
    I'll see what they want to do with it. What's the general opinion of the Macallen?
    I know it's highly regarded. But it is smokey, peaty, smooth.

Not a huge fan of smokey/peaty whiskeys. Much rather the smoother Irish style. Pot stills. Sherry Cask, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'm enjoying Roe & Co - my normal favorite is Bushmills 10 and it seems similar but a bit deeper in flavor.
    Pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Wailin

Mellor wrote: »
    Master of Malt were sending me a bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain that I won. But when I opened it, it contained a bottle of Macallen 12 instead.
    I'll see what they want to do with it. What's the general opinion of the Macallen?
    I know it's highly regarded. But it is smokey, peaty, smooth.

Not a huge fan of smokey/peaty whiskeys. Much rather the smoother Irish style. Pot stills. Sherry Cask, etc

What actual version if the 12 did you get? I Don't think the 12 is peated. If it's the 12 year old sherry oak then you got a better whisky than the nikka.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/3512/macallan-12-year-old-sherry-oak

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Don't shots in pubs have to be 35ml legally?
    No. 35.5ml is the standard measure for pricing purposes but there's no obligation to serve that way, as long as the price is proportional. Or free.

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    What actual version if the 12 did you get? I Don't think the 12 is peated. If it's the 12 year old sherry oak then you got a better whisky than the nikka.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/3512/macallan-12-year-old-sherry-oak

It was the triple cask 12 year old (formerly fine oak triple).

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/3515/macallan-12-year-old-triple-cask-matured

BeerNut wrote: »
    No. 35.5ml is the standard measure for pricing purposes but there's no obligation to serve that way, as long as the price is proportional. Or free.

I thought they had to serve 35ml.
    In that case I’m surprised that more touristy bars, night clubs aren’t serving 25ml at a relative mark up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I thought they had to serve 35ml.
    In that case I’m surprised that more touristy bars, night clubs aren’t serving 25ml at a relative mark up.

They could do but, as TBN pointed out, it must be priced pro rata to the 35.5ml serving.

Lots of bars and clubs do "shots" in glasses that are not 35.5ml but most of them are just acting the maggot and not pricing as per 35.5ml

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Wailin

A tasty little selection waiting for me under the tree this morning. I think the lustau will go well with the day that's in it.

Have a good one folks!

49272613646_5456f384a0_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

Wailin wrote: »
    A tasty little selection waiting for me under the tree this morning. I think the lustau will go well with the day that's in it.

Have a good one folks!

Lovely stuff, got a bottle of that redbreast for my dad, can't wait to crack it open with him later. Have a writer's tears dream cask also for myself. Happy Xmas all.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Love that kilchoman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Wailin wrote:

Enjoy!

They could do but, as TBN pointed out, it must be priced pro rata to the 35.5ml serving.

Lots of bars and clubs do "shots" in glasses that are not 35.5ml but most of them are just acting the maggot and not pricing as per 35.5ml
    I'm saying a bar could start serving only 25ml shots at their usual shot price. It's still pro-rata, it's just a pro-rata 40% hike.

I thought there was a restriction on doing this, but apparently not.

Anyway, enjoy the holidays lads. Still no update on my Mikka. But I'll be enjoying bottles of Blackbush and Redbreast today.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So a nice surprise for christmas day, got a present of the Fercullen 14 year old gift set. It comes with a 200ml bottle and a branded Glencairn glass.

'Fercullen' is the name for whiskey from Powerscourt - this whiskey was actually distilled at Cooley as Powerscourt are still getting up and running. In a twist though the distiller at Powerscourt (Noel Sweeney) was actually the distiller at Cooley back then.

It's very nice stuff but I couldn't justify spending €90 for a full size bottle though so this was a much appreciated taster. Plus nifty glass :)

Background info and some good tasting notes here e.g.
    Medium length finish with lingering oak prickle. Slight malt sweetness continuing through with a light nuttiness.
    https://potstilled.com/2019/05/16/fercullen-14-year-old-single-malt-review/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

First one from the Christmas presents was a Celtic Cask 29.

I thoroughly enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'm saying a bar could start serving only 25ml shots at their usual shot price. It's still pro-rata, it's just a pro-rata 40% hike.

I thought there was a restriction on doing this, but apparently not.
    They have to quote the price of a standard 35.5ml measure, and I'd be pretty sure they'd have to serve one if requested too, so if they were to also sell other non-standard measures, they'd only be making extra work for themselves that probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yamazaki 12
    Toki
    Laphroaig

Have the next ten days off so will try to put a hefty aul dent in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

VW 1 wrote: »
    Lovely stuff, got a bottle of that redbreast for my dad, can't wait to crack it open with him later. Have a writer's tears dream cask also for myself. Happy Xmas all.

What’s a writers Tears dream cask?? U mean cask strength?

TheBully wrote: »
    What’s a writers Tears dream cask?? U mean cask strength?

I probably wrote the wrong thing now I've read the bottle, that was how the guy in the shop described it. Link to the bottle below.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Writers-Tears-Copper-Pot-Deau-XO-Cognac-Finish-CWS-Exclusive

VW 1 wrote: »
    I probably wrote the wrong thing now I've read the bottle, that was how the guy in the shop described it.

It’s from a single cask it seems. Similar to Red Breast Dream Cask being from a single cask.
    It’s not at cask strength.

Effects wrote: »
    It’s from a single cask it seems. Similar to Red Breast Dream Cask being from a single cask.

Yeah, I knew that part, I just quoted the name of the wrong cask it was aged in.

Quackster wrote: »
    They have to quote the price of a standard 35.5ml measure, and I'd be pretty sure they'd have to serve one if requested too, so if they were to also sell other non-standard measures, they'd only be making extra work for themselves that probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.
    That's what I thought, that they legally have to serve 35ml by law. But apparently not according to he lads above. S
    Effects wrote: »
    The most recent Dream cask, wasn't a single cask. It was a blend of a few casks.

The most recent Dream cask, wasn't a single cask. It was a blend of a few casks.

I should have remembered that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Surprised to see a bottle of Writers Tears for £23 in M&S never had it before so had to purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭interlocked

Marlow wrote: »
    I have never taken a liking to Connemara.

But I do really love Kilchomans Machir Bay. Lots of interesting Whiskys from Islay.

Have you ever tried a Smokehead ?

/M
    Sorry for only replying now, no I've not tried the Smoke head, it's been in my Amazon basket for ages along with Big Peat, I think. I'd really like to try an Octomore, probably a mission the next time I'm in Edinburgh. Hard to beat the Lagavulin 16 when all is said and done though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement