Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The overall winner was George Dickel 13 year old - the other major Tennessee Whiskey brand.

Is there anywhere here where you can get it?

The woman behind it worked here for a couple of years, setting up the distillery at Tullamore Dew. She seems to know her stuff when it comes to blending.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Effects wrote: »
    Is there anywhere here where you can get it?
    The woman behind it worked here for a couple of years, setting up the distillery at Tullamore Dew. She seems to know her stuff when it comes to blending.

I've never seen any George Dickel here unfortunately - despite the Diageo link.

I picked up a bottle of the basic No.8 coming back from the States a few years back, v nice.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

So I got a bottle of 18 year old Cutty Sark Discovery Whisky 21 years ago which I put away and forgot about. It was uncovered during a root in the attic for Xmas decorations.

Anyone know much about it? Do I keep it or drink it? I'm thinking just drink it funnily enough!!

IMG201912142110201576358979.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

54and56 wrote: »
    So I got a bottle of 18 year old Cutty Sark Discovery Whisky 21 years ago which I put away and forgot about. It was uncovered during a root in the attic for Xmas decorations.

Anyone know much about it? Do I keep it or drink it? I'm thinking just drink it funnily enough!!
    A quick Google suggests it more a novelty item than premium whiskey with bottles selling about £55

Drink it :)

Bottle is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

You just can't beat an Ardbeg 10 on a cold night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

First day of the holidays today. Off to a good start, won a bottle a bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain on Master of Malt.
    Have the Malt already and happy to complete the set as neither are being produced anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mellor wrote: »
    First day of the holidays today. Off to a good start, won a bottle a bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain on Master of Malt.
    Have the Malt already and happy to complete the set as neither are being produced anymore.

Quite partial to a drop of that. Haven't tried the Coffey Malt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/82585/cutty-sark-18-year-old

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

cloudatlas wrote: »

Thanks Cloudatlas, appreciate the link. Think it's time I opened it. Might make it a Xmas present to myself ;)

Thanks Cloudatlas, appreciate the link. Think it's time I opened it. Might make it a Xmas present to myself ;)

I'm already half way through a 12 year old Balvenie triple cask that I had as a christmas present.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tesco has the Talisker 10 year back on the shelves (in Dun Laoghaire anyway). They are on display in limited amounts (now just two left) with the rest of the discounted spitis, not on the noraml shelving.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just after trying the Drumshanbo Single Pot Still at Dublin Airport (free sample :D).
    Nice flavour but I defo wouldn't pay €80 for it (despite the sales woman's very hard sell).

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭KinnegadKid

VW 1 wrote: »
    Prefer the writers tears, but the black barrel is nice. Very good value for me on offer at 30, but not good enough to pay full retail

Well drank the black barrell and as you say would'nt pay full price....it was ok but i much prefer the Jameson Crested...Started the Writer's Tears and its lovely and very very smooth with hints of clove and apple and honey ...just lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Whiskey Live is moving to the National convention centre for 2020. Tickets are already on sale. One evening session on Friday 27th November and two sessions on Saturday 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

After mulling over Tesco's range of reduced whiskies, eventually went with Roe & Co. Tried some last night, surprised how sweet and creamy it tasted, to me reminiscent of Black Bush. Anyway, enjoyed it, good value at €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Iv a small bit of Jameson to get through this Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TheBully wrote: »
    Iv a small bit of Jameson to get through this Xmas

Impressive.
    Is that every Caskmates produced?

Left to right
    Bale Breaker - IPA - Washington
    Stout - Ireland
    ???
    Fourpure - IPA - London
    Beau’s Brewing - Irish style red ale - Ontario
    Revolution Brewing - Pale Ale - Chicago
    IPA - Ireland
    Young Henrys - Red Ale - Sydney
    Another Stout?

Some of those are new to me, the Beau one for example. Has to do a bit of googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Had a lovely Method &Madness 28yr Ruby Port last night.

A complete oral explosion.

Mellor wrote: »
    Impressive.
    Is that every Caskmates produced?

Left to right
    Bale Breaker - IPA - Washington
    Stout - Ireland
    ???
    Fourpure - IPA - London
    Beau’s Brewing - Irish style red ale - Ontario
    Revolution Brewing - Pale Ale - Chicago
    IPA - Ireland
    Young Henrys - Red Ale - Sydney
    Another Stout?

Some of those are new to me, the Beau one for example. Has to do a bit of googling.

Not all of them, there’s 3 or 4 missing, Captain Lawrence, Kelso and angel city missing and one more I can’t think of!

Well spotted with the rest of them, 3rd one in is devilcraft from Japan, and second is original red top stout, the stout now comes with a black lid ( Bottle on very right)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you going to drink (some/any/all of) them or keep it as a collection?

I have bottles here I've had since a birthday nearly 3 years ago unopened but that'd be the longest anything lasts before being opened at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Folks, I'm on the hunt for the best bottle i could get for about €100/€120. How would redbreast 15yo stand up to whiskeys in that price range? It's a present from my work to myself so want to get something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Folks, I'm on the hunt for the best bottle i could get for about €100/€120. How would redbreast 15yo stand up to whiskeys in that price range? It's a present from my work to myself so want to get something good.

Personally.. I think redbreast 12 is better value.

If you are up north, you can get RB12 at rediculasly good value.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/all-spirits-and-liqueurs/redbreast-12-year-old-irish-whiskey-70cl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

I'd go for the redbreast 12 cask strength over the 15. A great whiskey. You notice the higher abv, but it doesn't burn. A few drops of water to mellow it out and it's gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I’d go for the Glendalough Mizunara at that price point.

I’d go for the Glendalough Mizunara at that price point.

I'd second that. It's a bit different and a lovely whiskey.

L1011 wrote: »
    Are you going to drink (some/any/all of) them or keep it as a collection?

I have bottles here I've had since a birthday nearly 3 years ago unopened but that'd be the longest anything lasts before being opened at least!

I try and get 2 bottles of everything if possible, and always have a bottle or 3 open, I currently have Irishman 17 cask strength open, a red spot and one or 2 different Jameson’s.

I will drink these sometime, but I would like to build a bigger collection too. I have a good chunk of other Irish distillers stuff too, older powers and 9 or 10 Midletons. Nothing mental expensive though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Picked up a bottle of Powers John's Lane for Christmas, I was trying to go for something different but when I was in front of the shelf I just went with it. Looking forward to cracking it open! I also have a bottle of Midleton Dair Ghaelach Grinsell's Wood that I've been slowly chipping away at, special occasions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

Twee. wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of Powers John's Lane for Christmas, I was trying to go for something different but when I was in front of the shelf I just went with it

I'm in the same boat as ya! Picked one up yesterday, and opened it up for a little sup last night! Honestly, very hard to tell the difference between it and an RB12!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Are there folks here who have experience buying or selling at whiskey auctions? I'm considering dipping my toe, aside from the obvious 'getting carried away at an auction' caution is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Wailin wrote:
    I'd go for the redbreast 12 cask strength over the 15. A great whiskey. You notice the higher abv, but it doesn't burn. A few drops of water to mellow it out and it's gorgeous.

I'm having a few of these tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement