Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭sceach16

Are there folks here who have experience buying or selling at whiskey auctions? I'm considering dipping my toe, aside from the obvious 'getting carried away at an auction' caution is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

First, never bid and drink whiskey at the same time. Second, work out cost of your bid...bid plus 10% +vat on that plus delivery. Compare that against retail or your estimate of value/ previous prices etc.

Then the standard rules...fix a max and stick to it. Remember a bargain is a bargain only if U want it. You are unlikely to get outstanding value but there are always 1 or 2 that go relatively cheap. Are they the ones U want ?

I did well selling a few. Did worse buying ( see first line of post :mad:).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Are there folks here who have experience buying or selling at whiskey auctions? I'm considering dipping my toe, aside from the obvious 'getting carried away at an auction' caution is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Commission, delivery/ insurance can all add up.

Sometimes minimum weight means you're better off buying 3 or 6 or more instead of just one bottle. It's a great buzz and you can get some great bargains too. Set your limit for each bottle you are going to bid for and don't go over it, if you win you win and if you don't you don't. There'll be another auction soon enough.

If you're getting into it to make a profit you'd be taking a big risk but you could get a nice collection together for yourself at home that you normally wouldn't try because of what they charge in a pub.

In my opinion it's easier to appreciate a good whiskey in a home atmosphere rather than the pub scene. I'm looking forward to cracking open a few bottles and sharing with some friends over the Christmas.

They make great gifts too so there's no excuse to not buy a few at auction every couple of months or so.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Folks, I'm on the hunt for the best bottle i could get for about €100/€120. How would redbreast 15yo stand up to whiskeys in that price range? It's a present from my work to myself so want to get something good.

I love the 12/15 and the CS

15 year old is excellent.

Personally i got the CS fof Christmas. Great flavour.

The only redbreast i would avoid is the Lustau. Waste of money... the 12 is better than it. Very dissatisfied when I tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

Cazale wrote: »
    I'm having a few of these tonight.

Nice. Had a RB21 tonight followed by some smokey scotch. All lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Picked up a Method and Madness for €45 in SuperValu yesterday. Single grain whiskey matured in bourbon barrels and finished in virgin oak. Tasting notes refer to pencil shavings and rain on pine, and it certainly is very woody. Wife said it was like drinking a sauna!

Quite liked it anyway. First bottle of M&M I tried, but I’ll keep an eye out for others.

• Advertisement

Picked up a Method and Madness for €45 in SuperValu yesterday. Single grain whiskey matured in bourbon barrels and finished in virgin oak. Tasting notes refer to pencil shavings and rain on pine, and it certainly is very woody. Wife said it was like drinking a sauna!

Quite liked it anyway. First bottle of M&M I tried, but I’ll keep an eye out for others.

The single pot still in french chestnut is probably the best of the bunch. Definitely from what I've tasted so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Anyone tried Slane? €25 in Tesco and was tempted but Black Bush was the same and was sure i'd like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Anyone tried Slane? €25 in Tesco and was tempted but Black Bush was the same and was sure i'd like it.

Slane is very nice, but more like bourbon.

Did the tour and really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I work between two offices. Got some nice gifts from team members.
    Barry Crockett, Dingle #3 release, Middleton Rare and Red Spot.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

Darc19 wrote: »

You must have some nice work colleagues!!

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    You must have some nice work colleagues!!

Reviews are coming up :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I "only" got a bottle of Black Bush as a thank you for something I was expecting words for, with which I was very happy (and also interested that the person who got it had clearly been paying attention)

You got any jobs going? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,616 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think thats called a quid pro quo.
    You can be impeached for that!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Cracked open a bottle Cardhu 12 year old Single Malt Scotch tonight, that one of my colleagues gave me for xmas.

Not quite sure what to make of it yet.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Talisker 10 opened. One of my favourites, and may well try to grab another at the insane 30 euro tesco pricepoint (if you can find one).

O'Briens had Woodford Reserve for 30 which is a very good price; one of my favoured bourbons for an Old Fashioned or Manhattan. Only got the one cause my store cupboard is rammed as it is.

Got another bottle of Bushmills (white this time) as a thank you for something else I did for someone so that's my normal drinking whiskey sorted for the next while!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Got this as a present for Christmas. I know nothing about whiskey. Any good?

F0-BFBA08-F394-4-FC9-9-A7-C-EEB724827-FB6.jpg

Its phenomenally expensive, for starters. Probably not a lot of people have actually drunk their bottles of it!

Its relatively young product so it might not be as great as its value suggests (its still going to be a decent product); price is based on rarity and exclusivity not quality.

actually, this review of it is crap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mYWJZI8K7g

If you trust that random reviewer I've never heard of before, sell it to a collector

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

L1011 wrote: »
    Its phenomenally expensive, for starters. Probably not a lot of people have actually drunk their bottles of it!

Its relatively young product so it might not be as great as its value suggests (its still going to be a decent product); price is based on rarity and exclusivity not quality.

actually, this review of it is crap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mYWJZI8K7g

If you trust that random reviewer I've never heard of before, sell it to a collector

Thanks. I hadn’t even heard of Dingle whiskey before. No intention of selling it - don’t need the money. Will keep it even as a novelty.

Wouldn’t trust that YouTube reviewer. He looks like a man who is quickly drinking himself to death.

Dingle is the distillery founded by the late Oliver Hughes from Porterhouse; was one of the first of the new batch so has product of their own on the go when a lot of others are just selling rebadged stuff. There is a huge collectability value to the stuff so its become very premium priced.

What I've had has been fine; but single cask product needs quality control - if it wasn't a case that an individual cask was sold to someone, the description given of the taste profile means it would have been put in to a blend nearly anywhere else if accurate.

• Advertisement

Dingle will probably become one of the best distilleries in Ireland.

Their latest releases are getting very good reviews and they never went down the route of rebadging someone else's whiskey to start the brand off - they simply waited.

Young whiskey will never be brilliant, but the rarity of the founding fathers release and the potential for the distillery to be one of the greats, will probably see this increase nicely in value and provide a talking point.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

they never went down the route of rebadging someone else's whiskey to start the brand off
    Not only did they do it, they hypnotised whiskey drinkers to make them forget about it.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/dingle-gold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

BeerNut wrote:
    Not only did they do it, they hypnotised whiskey drinkers to make them forget about it.

I have a miniature of this in the collection. Looks very much like a cheap tourist offering.

BeerNut wrote: »

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/dingle-gold

Never saw that. At least they were straight up about the provenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 GeetarPick

Drinking Teelings Brabazon. Holy crap what a whiskey. Very smooth and flavourful.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KinnegadKid

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Talisker 10 opened. One of my favourites, and may well try to grab another at the insane 30 euro tesco pricepoint (if you can find one).
    Seen it in tesco for 30 euro today...is it tasty and worth 30 euro? Drinking west cork blended irish whisky at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭interlocked

21 year old Redbreast and a pint of Ninth Wave for €17.30. Ho ho ho

GeetarPick wrote: »
    Drinking Teelings Brabazon. Holy crap what a whiskey. Very smooth and flavourful.

Which batch? Finished Batch 1 a few weeks ago. Gorgeous. Have batch 2 but not opened yet. Batch 1 is sherry finished 2 is port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 GeetarPick

Wailin wrote: »
    Which batch? Finished Batch 1 a few weeks ago. Gorgeous. Have batch 2 but not opened yet. Batch 1 is sherry finished 2 is port.

Series 2. Never had a bottle of teelings before. Bought it at the airport for 63 quid.

• Advertisement

Seen it in tesco for 30 euro today...is it tasty and worth 30 euro? Drinking west cork blended irish whisky at the mo.

best deal in Ireland for a decent whisky imo

it's Skye style so does have peat in it but it's not over-powering like Ardbeg or Laphroaig

it's also about 45.8% so has a nice kick over the bog-standard 40% whiskies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement