Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I buy a bottle of Talisker 10 every time its on offer. I also usually convince myself its for "special occasions"

I went looking for triple sec tonight and found a third full bottle. And I suspect there may be a fourth.

Every visitor will be getting some whether they want it or not this Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Cask strength Redbreast tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Spotted a Teeling 15 year old single malt supervalu exclusive in the local shop tonight. Aged in sherry casks distilled in 2003 and bottled 2018. €85 seems like a very good deal. They had about 6 bottles, might be tempted.

Sold at auction here for €100

https://www.celticwhiskeyauction.com/product/teeling-15-year-supervalue-780/

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Cazale wrote: »
    Cask strength Redbreast tonight.

+1 on that!! Very nice... great long taste

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Am looking to try out a few whiskeys gurus.. any ideas welcome. Im not a fan of jameson, but do like kilbeggan in a hot whiskey.

Ive no idea where to begin, as im normally a wine drinker. Are there some 'people pleasers' i should start of on? Then maybe progress?

Also, whats ur best mixer?? Nothing, ice, red lemonade, ginger ale, water?
    Let me know!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

kulekat wrote: »
    Am looking to try out a few whiskeys gurus.. any ideas welcome. Im not a fan of jameson, but do like kilbeggan in a hot whiskey.

Ive no idea where to begin, as im normally a wine drinker. Are there some 'people pleasers' i should start of on? Then maybe progress?

Also, whats ur best mixer?? Nothing, ice, red lemonade, ginger ale, water?
    Let me know!!

Most people on here would take whiskey with water, ice, or neat - not any other mixers. If you like whiskey with mixers you really shouldn't go for high end stuff as you won't notice the difference - so whatever is about 20 a bottle is fine. Some elements will get through (which is why Powers is recommended for use in hot whiskeys or red lemonade) but not enough to throw big cash at it.

I'd recommend trying some of the cheaper Irish options first - Powers, Black Bush, Tullamore Dew - and see which of those you like more.

If you like Powers you will probably like other pot stills - the fancier Powers, Green Spot, Redbreast, Writers Tears. If you like Black Bush you will probably like the other malts, Bushmills and Cooley products like Tyrconnell.

If you want to bridge out in to Scotch, I'd suggest trying in a bar first because the suggestions will be dearer and if you don't like it you're left with a bottle of stuff you won't want to drink! Or get the triple set in Lidl for a tenner currently of three different styles - they're not the best examples but give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Oooh mama

IMG-20191208-111445.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

The Nal wrote: »
    Oooh mama

IMG-20191208-111445.jpg

Picked up one recently myself to try at Christmas. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Any opinions on the Jameson distillery bottles? The midleton version.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Have been sipping on a Redbreast 12 a while.

Also have the attached, sitting,waiting. Was given at a work thing with my name across the label which is kinda cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Picked up one recently myself to try at Christmas. Looking forward to it.

Where did you pick it up?

L1011 wrote: »
    Most people on here would take whiskey with water, ice, or neat - not any other mixers. If you like whiskey with mixers you really shouldn't go for high end stuff as you won't notice the difference - so whatever is about 20 a bottle is fine. Some elements will get through (which is why Powers is recommended for use in hot whiskeys or red lemonade) but not enough to throw big cash at it.

I'd recommend trying some of the cheaper Irish options first - Powers, Black Bush, Tullamore Dew - and see which of those you like more.

If you like Powers you will probably like other pot stills - the fancier Powers, Green Spot, Redbreast, Writers Tears. If you like Black Bush you will probably like the other malts, Bushmills and Cooley products like Tyrconnell.

If you want to bridge out in to Scotch, I'd suggest trying in a bar first because the suggestions will be dearer and if you don't like it you're left with a bottle of stuff you won't want to drink! Or get the triple set in Lidl for a tenner currently of three different styles - they're not the best examples but give you an idea.

Great thank you, brilliant advice. I will pick up that trio from lidl and also try some cheap bottles around 20euro.

Are there any whiskeys that give particularly bad hangovers btw!!

None with any science behind peoples claims really.

Older, naturally darker (as opposed to caramel coloured) might - from more exposure to charred wood - but people usually drink less of them! Search for "congeners" to get more on that theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Have been sipping on a Redbreast 12 a while.

Also have the attached, sitting,waiting. Was given at a work thing with my name across the label which is kinda cool.

I got the same gift of the Jameson, how is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Great thank you, brilliant advice. I will pick up that trio from lidl and also try some cheap bottles around 20euro.

I'd second above.

Regular Bushmills will probably be a good one - generally about €20

Another is Tyrconnell.

Both would be easy enough to try mixed with just water and a bit of ice to start you on the appreciation of whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Don't water down a single malt. Or mix. Really.

Aldi had these kits with 3 whiskeys and some rocks last year. They will probably be around again this winter. But watering the whiskey down ? No !! The chilled rocks are the best approach.

But yes. You can hardly go wrong witb Bushmills.

Just my 2c.

/M

The chilled rocks do bugger all cooling because the bulk of the cooling effect of ice is from the endothermic reaction of melting. If you want undiluted and cold, put the bottle in the fridge! Which is the only way I can drink Jura and enjoy it as it happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The chilled rocks do bugger all cooling because the bulk of the cooling effect of ice is from the endothermic reaction of melting. If you want undiluted and cold, put the bottle in the fridge! Which is the only way I can drink Jura and enjoy it as it happens...

That ... is actually not a bad plan.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Your talking about latent heat, not an endothermic reaction. You’re correct that the rocks won’t yave that, but they will also have more mass.
    They’d probably be fine for neat whiskey as it’s a smaller volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Opened a Teeling Brabazon 2 tonight, lovely lovely whiskey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Marlow wrote: »

Why not for a single malt as opposed to any comparable whiskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

actuar90 wrote: »
    Opened a Teeling Brabazon 2 tonight, lovely lovely whiskey

Finished the batch 1 recently which was sherry finished and it really is a great whiskey. Have the batch 2 unopened so looking forward to tasting that. Teeling are really leading the way now for Irish whiskey imo. Top class stuff.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Roe & Co now €25 in Tesco. Have yet to try it but I couldn't really leave it behind at that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

The Nal wrote: »
    Where did you pick it up?
    In the US a few weeks back

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'd second above.

Regular Bushmills will probably be a good one - generally about €20

Another is Tyrconnell.

Both would be easy enough to try mixed with just water and a bit of ice to start you on the appreciation of whiskey

Great thank you!
    I got a bushmills today for €20 and will sample it later!! Also picked up a trio of scotch minis in lidl. Looking forward to dabbling with these !

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭KinnegadKid

Any thoughts on these two....Im gonna open black barrel from Jameson and writers tears copper pot this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

Any thoughts on these two....Im gonna open black barrel from Jameson and writers tears copper pot this week

Prefer the writers tears, but the black barrel is nice. Very good value for me on offer at 30, but not good enough to pay full retail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Quackster wrote: »
    Roe & Co now €25 in Tesco. Have yet to try it but I couldn't really leave it behind at that price!

Damn! :(

And I thought I was doing well picking up a couple of bottles for €30 each in O'Briens sale last week!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Marlow wrote: »

Aldi had these kits with 3 whiskeys and some rocks last year. They will probably be around again this winter. But watering the whiskey down ? No !! The chilled rocks are the best approach.

But yes. You can hardly go wrong witb Bushmills.

Just my 2c.

/M

Depends a lot on the whisky but many benefit from a few drops. Its even been studied now https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-06423-5

The stones are bit over rated (in my opinion) and and ice has the double benefit of cooling and diluting a little.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/do-whiskey-stones-work-as-well-as-ice-cubes-to-chill-a-drink-article#

Personally I hate cold whisky but I do add a few drops of water to the 46% and above bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

171170 wrote: »
    Damn! :(

And I thought I was doing well picking up a couple of bottles for €30 each in O'Briens sale last week!

If you have the receipt, I'd say there'd be no problem returning them.

If you bought online, here are the terms:

In the event that you change your mind about your order, you are entitled to a cooling-off period of 30 days, which begins on the day after you receive delivery of your order. During this period, you may cancel your order for any reason. Upon cancellation, we will make all the necessary arrangements to facilitate the return of your order and will fully reimburse you within 30 days.

You can also visit any of our 32 stores and exchange goods purchased online if you wish - simply bring along a print out of your order confirmation as proof of sale and our staff will be happy to help.

In the unfortunate case of goods being faulty or damaged in transit, O’Briens offer the choice of either a replacement or a full refund including any postage costs incurred. Just contact us by phone or email (details above) and we'll take care of everything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement