Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Yeah, doesn't look great. You can only sell the family jewels once. Next financial crash you won't have that privelege.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Speaking of drivers showing their human side, this piece from Pierre Gasly is a must read:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/pierre-gasly-formula-one-racing

It's from a few weeks ago so maybe it's been posted here, but I only just came across it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Spat out my tea, classic Crofty

550890.jpg

F1 Simpsons FB group

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

recyclebin wrote: »
    Yeah, doesn't look great. You can only sell the family jewels once. Next financial crash you won't have that privelege.

Ya, its worrying really. They have already borrowed against their historic car collection. No sure if that has been changed recently.

Would be funny if the new owners sold the building on to Ron Dennis or a Dennis controlled business.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭barryribs

Only Zak could spin this yarn. Sells for 170 million, having spent almost double that to build. Genius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

weisses wrote: »
    Imo the reason for the exiting season so far are the relative minor rule changes compared to last year ... Next year will be a completely different field again with the bigger teams having the better car

I hope you’re wrong. By all account next year should produce even more competitive racing (on paper) in an attempt to shorten the gap from the big teams.

I’ve been viewing this season as a precursor of things to come.

They’ve been focusing on closing out loopholes from the new technical regulations to avoid one team having a dominant car.

The aero changes see the least successful cars getting more aerodynamic testing in another aim to help bridge the gap.

That along with budget caps and new car designs has me optimistic.

It was due to be this year but Covid delayed it, and I believe they’ve have introduced some of the changes slightly to test them.

Only time will tell but from the drivers it seems like they believe there will be much closer racing next year, hence why a lot are signing deals to be in the car next year and seem to have one eye on it.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I am fairly sure that Russell was the only driver to call Romain when he lost his drive.

100%. Romain confirmed as much.

I think George is probably a nice guy, but like most racers they can act like assholes at times. Nature of the sport. Every driver moans and has their moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I am fairly sure that Russell was the only driver to call Romain when he lost his drive.

Id didnt know that.
    His comments were still odd - its possible he didnt see alot of the incident i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

barryribs wrote: »
    Only Zak could spin this yarn. Sells for 170 million, having spent almost double that to build. Genius!

I'd say 50m of that was Norman Foster's fee

Was thinking recently about the drivers. Lewis in particular.

Always respected Lewis as a driver but the reason I wasn't one of his fans hoping he'd win all the time was because I always found him a bit boring and scripted. Don't know why it took me this long to realise that it's something that is probably even more critical for him than any of the other drivers.

We see when drivers lash out and speak their minds at times how they are treated by fans and the media, no doubt for Lewis these reactions would be multiplied. I was recently reading and watching some stuff on him and I understand that despite F1 having this image of a gentleman's sport him being a person of colour coming into the sport has definitely made his journey different.

Since he is the only one, he has had to be careful how he presents himself to avoid kneejerk reactions from the media. It's not fair but I believe it's true. It's a bit unfair that he's had to take this mantle of being the hero or voice for those not represented as much in the sport, it is unfortunately the case. I think he spoke previously about how it took him time to even feel comfortable wearing the clothes he does now, or just his style as it would be plastered all over the papers.

It's strange, but watching Bird and Magic documentary at the weekend had me thinking of Lewis a bit more too. Larry Bird had all those fans and hope pinned on him entering the league as, at the time the only really top level white basketball player. It's completely different times, circumstances and fans but it still made me think of the added pressure.

Factor in the British media to it all as well. They love nothing more than to jump on their own stars whenever they have a stumble. The added scrutiny at any chance.

This year I'm warming to Lewis, he seems to be a bit more friendly (or how I'm seeing it) to the current crop of drivers as compared to back in the days. I don't even think it's anything he's done differently just my viewing of him.

Yes I don't find him the most interesting or entertaining driver off the track but finally can understand why. On the track great to watch. Maybe that's all that should matter.

I actually feel embarrassed that it's taken me this long to final cop that the very thing I criticise the most about him is something he is doing to make his life a little more stress free. He's in the position where he doesn't really have the luxury to be unscripted, and at this point of his career he's so used to thinking over his replies before commenting. If he came in with a Max attitude he'd have received a lot of hate I think.

Again just my opinion really, others probably don't agree.

Either way, I'm going to enjoy his battle this year, would love to see him and Max go the distance, the greediness in me wants Lando to somehow challenge too!

• Advertisement

I'd much prefer to see Lewis actually be himself, but I think at this point, not even he knows who that is any more. You can see it in DTS, I'm no body language expert but the interviews are like someone who's acting.

It's only about the colour of his skin the last two or three years, barely a peep out of him when fans were dressing up in gorilla costumes in pre-season testing in spain in 08, or when he was joking about it at monaco . Do you think thats a result of an epiphany he's had, or perhaps there's a popular movement that he wants to be on the right side of?

There is no doubt he is amongst the best drivers of all time, anyone who disputes that needs to go back and watch Monaco a few years back when he drove wets down to slicks. I just think there isn't a genuine bone in his body

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfIc21MpGxzFMDN7Z3ueq3tZEqp1Oh4YBK5mfX8Zx-ib2AjtA/viewform

A simple questioner for anyone wanting to do it for some 17 year old fan for the course their on.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Do any of ye know of any video games with the Portimao circuit?

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Its going to be in F1 2021 and I know its available for Assetto Corsa, but then again what isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Project Cars 2 has it.

Saw this while browsing a few days ago:

CBK0XV-WUAAg_Ps.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Red Bul has recruited an engine head from Mercedes.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12475/12284741/red-bull-hire-ben-hodgkinson-from-mercedes-to-lead-new-powertrains-division-in-sign-of-long-term-intent

"Red Bull say Hodgkinson, who has worked for Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains in Brixworth for two decades and has most recently held the position of head of mechanical engineering at the multiple world champions, will join them once the terms of his current contract are fulfilled."

I wouldn't know Ben Hodgkins from a hole in the ground, but I'm sure he's no slouch if he's coming from Mercedes.

Let's hope RB can keep the pressure on with it's engine development next year.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Red Bul has recruited an engine head from Mercedes.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12475/12284741/red-bull-hire-ben-hodgkinson-from-mercedes-to-lead-new-powertrains-division-in-sign-of-long-term-intent

"Red Bull say Hodgkinson, who has worked for Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains in Brixworth for two decades and has most recently held the position of head of mechanical engineering at the multiple world champions, will join them once the terms of his current contract are fulfilled."

I wouldn't know Ben Hodgkins from a hole in the ground, but I'm sure he's no slouch if he's coming from Mercedes.

Let's hope RB can keep the pressure on with it's engine development next year.

I wonder is Andy Cowell joining would love to see that.

Anyone watch Lando Norris stream? I only ever watch the bits where he watches qualifying and race highlights.

Had a chuckle when in qualifying they had the audio of Mercedes engineering and Hamilton talking about how much of a surprise it was for them to get pole. Lando goes “Wow, a Merc on pole? Can you believe it?” sarcastically haha.

I hope Crofty or Brundle don’t watch it anyway. Has a go at stuff they say at times.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I hope Crofty or Brundle don’t watch it anyway. Has a go at stuff they say at times.
    Go on son, spill the beans and tell us what he says about them :D

• Advertisement

Go on son, spill the beans and tell us what he says about them :D

Haha doesn’t cut into them but points out when he thinks they are talking nonsense in his view.

For example, at the very beginning of the race Brundle goes “the Ferrari is struggling” or something along those lines and Lando just goes “no they’re not you muppet”.

And for Hamilton’s pit Crofty is shouting about an Alfa Romeo slowing Hamilton’s exit from the pit (it was the front right being slow to come off I believe no sign of another car near him) and Lando just says “what are you on about?”.

Just little comments when he’s watching the highlights. No venom in them but it is funny to hear a driver poking fun at the commentators like a lot of spectators do. Fairly certain at one point he starts laughing at Crofty shouting during the commentating.

It’s interesting at times, like cars spinning off behind him and him saying he never noticed it during the race. Also added he probably should have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

There seems to be a version of it for rFactor2. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1131107775

^ I'm an Xbox and PlayStation lad so rfactor is a no go for me.

I ordered a copy of Project Cars 2 that I should have tomorrow. Going to do some laps at Portimao before taking on the old Hockenheimring. #nostalgia

Much more interesting to watch than the current busses. I don't mind the lack of DRS either. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,055 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Much more interesting to watch than the current busses. I don't mind the lack of DRS either. :pac:

A bit of controversy at the end with the 70s f1 cars, didn’t seem like a good decision. Great race for the lead for most of the race.

I’ve been watching it on the goodwood YouTube channel, I think all the same commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

A bit of controversy at the end with the 70s f1 cars, didn’t seem like a good decision. Great race for the lead for most of the race.

I’ve been watching it on the goodwood YouTube channel, I think all the same commentary

Not a good weekend for classic Ferraris :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,055 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Not a good weekend for classic Ferraris :eek:

Hadn't seen the qualifying crash, maybe there's an expectation from the stewards that you give a bit of extra room when racing these classic cars and the penalty was deserved, the back of the Ferrari looked a bit sad afterwards. Maybe could have been avoided with a little more room allowed or a different line, even if the Ferrari had missed a gear or slowed a bit for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It's race week!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

May the battle between Lewis and Max continue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement