Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

silverharp wrote: »
    What did it say? It has been deleted.

ETA: This was a reply:

"Women more likely to have been affected"

Empirical data please or STFU.
    In connection with Covid-19 it seems

iptba wrote: »
    What did it say? It has been deleted.

ETA: This was a reply:
    In connection with Covid-19 it seems

they replaced it with this tweet, the original tweet had included something like ...as you know women are affected by Corona the most...

https://twitter.com/Sport_England/status/1277549101387784192

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yeah, I saw the original when the post was first put up. It definitely said that women were the most affected by covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Why even put in that preface to the second paragraph. Why not say we'd love to hear your views?

Why does it always have to be a narrative involving victimhood or getting the violin out?

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    they replaced it with this tweet, the original tweet had included something like ...as you know women are affected by Corona the most...

https://twitter.com/Sport_England/status/1277549101387784192

Innovation open call
    We're looking for innovative solutions to support people most affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

[..]

Women: on average, women are taking on more hours of childcare than men, and prior to coronavirus 17% of women worked in a sector that has since shut down, compared to 13% of men.

[..]

Women: recent data suggests women are more likely than men to be worried about the effect of coronavirus on their lives and are more likely to agree their wellbeing is affected.
    Seems weak as a reason not to look to help men also.

irishejit wrote: »
    I don't think this has been in the thread before, but after seeing it a couple of weeks ago this is rearing its ugly head again....casual sexism anyone?

van34pey8j251.jpg

Of course everyone knows its the fault of men that covid-19 has decimated the planet in the way that it has, but women are the saviour...yippeee. :rolleyes:

This is just one example of many of these posters, and this one in Pakistan of all places!!!
    An image with a similar wording with a slightly different layout and no mention of Pakistan was circulated to an Irish WhatsApp group I'm in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Nice 'balanced' article here from The Echo. Even if the article were true (and as far as I'm concerned, the author is clearly lying through her teeth), could you imagine a similar article being written about women, blacks, Travellers etc?!

https://www.echolive.ie/opinion/Young-men-refusing-to-wear-a-mask-have-to-be-faced-down-c613ad87-c4d2-4e77-9eac-f445e3fa8885-ds
    Young men refusing to wear a mask have to be faced down
    Áilín Quinlan

FAR be it from me to re-ignite the sex wars.

But in all fairness, guys.

Each day since last Monday, I have made my usual daily visit to my local supermarket.

And each day, I, along with, I should point out, every other female customer in the shop and every staff member, have worn a face-mask.

Because, since July 20, as anyone who hasn’t been suspended upside down on their local beach with their head in the sand will know, anyone entering a shop has to wear a face-covering, as do staff working there, unless they are behind a screen. Even the staff in my local shop who are working behind a screen are wearing masks.

In fact on one occasion, when I realised on entering the shop that I had forgotten to put it on, I tramped, swearing, back out to the car to get it and put it on.

Yet, each time I enter the shop, I see a parade of males in their twenties or thirties arriving through the doors, brazen-faced, brass-necked and mask-less. They will blithely pass the hand-sanitiser equipment at the door, walking into the store as if it’s life as normal, completely ignoring the fact that virtually every other customer and every single member of staff is wearing a mask.

Without as much as a blush, they queue up for their breakfast roll, get their coffee, tea or can of Red Bull, and then join another queue to pay.

And not a single person, neither customers nor staff nor owners, quiet mice that we all are, expresses as much as a syllable of protest.

I was diagnosed with late-onset asthma a year ago (most unfair, I thought at the time, as I don’t smoke and exercise daily, but apparently it’s in the family tree.)

However, I still wear a mask when I go into the shop. Like Dublin GP Dr Maitiu O’Tuathail, who took to Twitter this week to explain the non-impact of face masks and coverings on oxygen levels, I didn’t find that wearing a mask impeded my breathing. It’s just a bit uncomfortable and I whip it off as soon as I’m back out in the fresh air.

Well, anyway, in the shop car-park one morning, I suddenly got entirely sick of being a mouse.

As I watched two tall, strong, healthy and immensely cheerful twenty-something males exit their vehicle and stride into the supermarket, bypassing the hand sanitiser stand without as much as a glance and brushing past a much older man who actually was wearing a mask, I felt a wave of sheer irritation.

You can look up the psychology of teenagers and young twenty-somethings. They feel immortal. They don’t believe they can be injured or infected or die. This is why they are so risk-prone. This is why you have young fellas doing really stupid things like driving cars way outside the speed limits at eye-watering speeds and doing doughnuts on the roads, diving into swimming pools from hotel balconies several storeys up, or tearing down motorways on the wrong side of the road

We know all of this, and while it’s not an excuse it is a reason. Alas, though, the downside of this is they also more than likely never think about the fact that they can injure or infect someone else, or even cause the death of another.

As I collected my newspaper and walked through the aisles picking up my few bits, I passed this hearty duo, now lounging at the deli-counter waiting for their orders, talking and laughing loudly and of course, in the meantime expelling millions of potentially infectious droplets into the air.

“Excuse me,” I said calmly. They turned around. “You’re supposed to be wearing a mask. It’s mandatory.”

They had the grace to look a bit abashed. “Eh, yeah, I know,” said one apologetically. The other guy said nothing. And then they looked away again and I moved on. In other words, that was it, basically.

So yes, they knew they were supposed to be wearing them, the idea being to protect others. But, er, what they were too polite to say was they didn’t care and couldn’t be bothered.

And if this is happening regularly in my local shop, it’s happening in plenty of shops.

You can’t blame shop-owners or their staff for not taking on these young men about their callous and careless behaviour, but somebody needs to.

How can anyone be that oblivious to the risk they’re potentially posing to the health of other people? Especially now, that after so much to-ing and fro-ing, the government has made it mandatory? Especially now that cases of Covid-19 are on the rise, day by day?

The aforementioned GP, Dr O’Tuathail, has warned that he’s seen a worrying rise in the number of people requesting Covid-19 tests. Sharing a screenshot on Twitter of a request log where every line was related to Covid-19 testing, he warned that it was “starting to feel like March 2020 all over again”.

He was, he reported, “getting an alarming increase in requests for Covid testing, and it’s trending upwards. My day so far has been all Covid-related — for the first time in weeks.”

This in the context of recent figures which, according to acting chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn, mean that workplaces — such as shops, because shops, remember, are most definitely workplaces and not just, say, building sites or creches — are the new “frontline” of the war against the virus, with clusters of Covid emerging in recent days.

Ireland, says Dr Glynn, cannot rule out a second lockdown just yet.

So, em, in this context, if we have a significant problem with young males refusing to wear masks in shops, possibly because they think it’s unmanly, uncool, or just plain embarrassing, we need to confront them and deal with it.

We can’t realistically expect young shop assistants to deal with this problem, can we?

Put it more bluntly — are we seriously going to leave this emerging public health threat to shop-keepers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The Echo has really gone downhill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

In my anecdotal experience, it's middle aged women who shop without masks.

I believe it's usually old people who drive the wrong way on motorways too.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

McGaggs wrote: »
    In my anecdotal experience, it's middle aged women who shop without masks.

I believe it's usually old people who drive the wrong way on motorways too.

I agree, and from working on a till women are much contrarier than men and less likely to comply with simple store regulations

Tig98 wrote: »
    I agree, and from working on a till women are much contrarier than men and less likely to comply with simple store regulations

I'm going to Aldi, the reporter seems to be Inna Centra. I wouldn't extrapolate that a few lads on lunch from a building site as being representative of their demographic, much as I don't believe middle aged women are modern typhoid Marys. But then again, I don't have 500 words and a deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

No
    py2006 wrote: »

Pretty sure that's a parody account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Pretty sure that's a parody account.

Sure hope so

Original Article
    Reactions to male‐favouring versus female‐favouring sex differences: A pre‐registered experiment and Southeast Asian replication

Steve Stewart‐Williams Chern Yi Marybeth Chang Xiu Ling Wong Jesse D. Blackburn Andrew G. Thomas

First published: 23 July 2020 https://doi.org/10.1111/bjop.12463

Abstract

Two studies investigated
    (1) how people react to research describing a sex difference, depending on whether that difference favours males or females,
    and
    (2) how accurately people can predict how the average man and woman will react.

In Study 1, Western participants (N = 492) viewed a fictional popular‐science article describing either a male‐favouring or a female‐favouring sex difference (i.e., men/women draw better; women/men lie more).

Both sexes reacted less positively to the male‐favouring differences, judging the findings to be less important, less credible, and more offensive, harmful, and upsetting.

Participants predicted that the average man and woman would react more positively to sex differences favouring their own sex.

This was true of the average woman, although the level of own‐sex favouritism was lower than participants predicted.

It was not true, however, of the average man, who – like the average woman – reacted more positively to the female‐favouring differences.

Study 2 replicated these findings in a Southeast Asian sample (N = 336).

Our results are consistent with the idea that both sexes are more protective of women than men, but that both exaggerate the level of same‐sex favouritism within each sex – a misconception that could potentially harm relations between the sexes.
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/bjop.12463

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Had the joy today of flicking through this publication from Aontas, focussing on strategies to combat educational disadvantage in a post Covid world. It lists "disadvantaged learners" as:

1. Learners with disabilities.
    2. Travellers and Roma.
    3. Home Carers.
    4. Women.
    5. Learners in Direct Provision and Homeless.
    6. Learners with Literacy, Numeracy and Basic Digital Literacy Needs.
    7. Adults with Lower-Level Qualifications.
    8. Individuals in receipt of social welfare.
    9. First-Time Mature Students.

While no-one would argue over some of the list, am I incorrect in surmising that it portrays pretty much everyone except white males with jobs as being "disadvantaged learners"?!

Had the joy today of flicking through this publication from Aontas, focussing on strategies to combat educational disadvantage in a post Covid world. It lists "disadvantaged learners" as:

1. Learners with disabilities.
    2. Travellers and Roma.
    3. Home Carers.
    4. Women.
    5. Learners in Direct Provision and Homeless.
    6. Learners with Literacy, Numeracy and Basic Digital Literacy Needs.
    7. Adults with Lower-Level Qualifications.
    8. Individuals in receipt of social welfare.
    9. First-Time Mature Students.

While no-one would argue over some of the list, am I incorrect in surmising that it portrays pretty much everyone except white males with jobs as being "disadvantaged learners"?!

I would've thought the results would show boys/men as educationally disadvantaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

McGaggs wrote: »
    I would've thought the results would show boys/men as educationally disadvantaged.

Not when you've decided what the results are before you analyse the data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sn@kebite

It's well known that boys are disadvantaged in education. It starts in early years education.

Girls are emulating older versions of themselves as most teachers are female so there a role-model imbalance. Also girls are more represented in education an example being when girls lag behind boys it's seen as gender gap and female teachers mobilize and set up programs to close the gaps in physics/applied maths areas. Whereas boys who lag in almost all other areas (and the gaps are widening) female teachers do not mobilize and do not set anything up the describe the gap as "equality has finally been achieved!" then stereotypes like "boys are lazy/boys mature slower" etc.. start flying. Yet boys do well when male teachers show up and it's spotted as a role-model advantage and males dominate the most difficult degrees (e.g. engineering, aerospace physics, astrophysics, actuarial science, computer science) so the arguments males mature slower or are lazy is flawed.

Also if you look at university the efforts engineering schools put into getting women into engineering yet health sciences especially mental health are over 95% female dominated so mental health care is seen through a female lens while this may not connect with men very well or will be limited and feminism loves it. Can women therapists understand a depressed father going through a divorce as well as a man can? Probably not.

Men are horrifically to blame for not getting off our arses and boys are facing bias problems. The arrogance is astounding, looking for funding to create jobs for otherwise unemployable social studies nerds. Gotta put that sociology degree to use somehow!

Sn@kebite wrote: »
    It's well known that boys are disadvantaged in education. It starts in early years education.

Girls are emulating older versions of themselves as most teachers are female so there a role-model imbalance. Also girls are more represented in education an example being when girls lag behind boys it's seen as gender gap and female teachers mobilize and set up programs to close the gaps in physics/applied maths areas. Whereas boys who lag in almost all other areas (and the gaps are widening) female teachers do not mobilize and do not set anything up the describe the gap as "equality has finally been achieved!" then stereotypes like "boys are lazy/boys mature slower" etc.. start flying. Yet boys do well when male teachers show up and it's spotted as a role-model advantage and males dominate the most difficult degrees (e.g. engineering, aerospace physics, astrophysics, actuarial science, computer science) so the arguments males mature slower or are lazy is flawed.

Also if you look at university the efforts engineering schools put into getting women into engineering yet health sciences especially mental health are over 95% female dominated so mental health care is seen through a female lens while this may not connect with men very well or will be limited and feminism loves it. Can women therapists understand a depressed father going through a divorce as well as a man can? Probably not.

Men are horrifically to blame for not getting off our arses and boys are facing bias problems. The arrogance is astounding, looking for funding to create jobs for otherwise unemployable social studies nerds. Gotta put that sociology degree to use somehow!
    I was friendly with some girls who were studying social work and the class was around 90% female. And then quite a bit of the stuff they were studying was influenced by feminism. I could imagine this could lead to group think and a lack of balance, probably causing more problems than a gender imbalance in say IT professionals.

iptba wrote: »
    I was friendly with some girls who were studying social work and the class was around 90% female. And then quite a bit of the stuff they were studying was influenced by feminism. I could imagine this could lead to group think and a lack of balance, probably causing more problems than a gender imbalance in say IT professionals.
    It's well known. Yes. The problem is it's not just female dominated it's gynocentric as in it doesn't look at problems as they are it's how males are the problem. The telling attribute is that they sit with their backs to the real patriarchies. As in the more oppressed women are in the world, the less this uni degrees want to mention it. I guess they lose 'woke points' for being critical of other cultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I completely agree, yet the issue might be past a rational resolution now, and possibly locked out onto a collision course that will spell disaster and a fundamental reset/rethink of the matter.

Fact is, we've actually reached the stage where what you correctly point out CAN'T BE SAID in public, without some horrible label being attached to you - sexist, mysoginist, "conservative", fascist even - and as we saw multiple times, nobody is safe from it, not even the women who pointed out the problem. Any initiatives, documents, campaigns aimed to help boys & men will be trashed by the media as it doesn't fit their narrative.

As for role models...frankly, any man going into teaching now or already in the profession, has a lot of bollocks as he's basically gambling with his own career and even life. All it takes is a bit of an argument with a student, they go home and accuse him of some sexual approach or something, he's pretty much as good as dead.

When I was a teen, during secondary school, it wasn't too uncommon for a teacher to ask a misbehaving/underperforming student -boys or girls alike, with no difference- to either talk in the corridor or to meet them in the teacher's hall. It was for when a proper, monumental dressing down was to be given, but they were sensible and smart enough to spare you the embarrassment of having to endure it in front of your classmates.

Imagine doing that now with a female student - "teacher called me out, we were alone and he touched my arse/b00b!". Game over.

H3llR4iser wrote: »

Fact is, we've actually reached the stage where what you correctly point out CAN'T BE SAID in public, without some horrible label being attached to you - sexist, mysoginist, "conservative", fascist even - and as we saw multiple times, nobody is safe from it, not even the women who pointed out the problem. Any initiatives, documents, campaigns aimed to help boys & men will be trashed by the media as it doesn't fit their narrative.
    Women's activists in the 1900s certainly didn't get the red carpet rolled out for them so its a bit negative to be like that. The issue is most women know it's bull**** also, the only groups who follows suit are these not-very-bright white, middle-class females in universities in the social science streams. Along with their not-very-bright guilt-ridden male colleagues. TCD is a nest of them (I've studied there).

There's a lot of money at stake here and as male groups form it will be a direct threat to their funding and resource monopoly. I honestly think if you talked about male issues in the 90s it would be laughed at more than now. The problems boys, men face are undeniable even to the most strident leftist.

Feminism requires guilt-tripping as a mechanism of control over the dialogue along with shaming ("you're mansplaining, poor menz, you're a white male" etc.. ) but the major flaw is white, rich feminists know not to go on a guilt trip themselves of how white female voices or rich female voices are centered in the framework of their movement which dominates women (and men) at the bottom. White feminists know not to pander from guilt and slobber all over women at the bottom, this shows the guilt of the left is disingenuous. Whatever way we look at it hypocrisy is the shadow of feminism (and most leftist views) as I would say 90% of women can see it. Feminism fights for rich, white, well-connected women to be equal with rich, white, well-connected men. Once a person can see this hypocrisy and you state it that feminism is reinforcing inequality their ability to to use guilt ceases to function so a real dialogue can form.

If you look at TED and TEDx talks there are more and more about male problems I can link some here if anyone wants. So there is a shift forming it's not as simple as being too late.

Women's activists in the 1900s certainly didn't get the red carpet rolled out for them so its a bit negative to be like that. The issue is most women know it's bull**** also, the only groups who follows suit are these not-very-bright white, middle-class females in universities in the social science streams. Along with their not-very-bright guilt-ridden male colleagues. TCD is a nest of them (I've studied there)..

There's a habit of assigning the feminist or SJW crusades to middle class people, which did reflect the past, however, time has moved on. More people with working class backgrounds have made it into universities in all countries, and with the growth of social media, there's less emphasis on having financial support in needing to be an activist. You'll find plenty of women with working class backgrounds in college/university who will blindly harp on about the evils of inequality, often taking economic inequalities (that their parents experienced), and assigning them to issues of sexism.

For example, I remember a chat I had with a student whose father was dead, and had been raised solely by her mother. Her mother had never finished the leaving cert, and so, had ended up being restricted to basic jobs. Due to the levels of jobs, and limited welfare supports, their life has been rather basic, with the daughter reaching university due to the State financial supports. For her, this was a sign of sexism. That her mother was forced to work the lower end jobs was an issue that targeted vulnerable women, rather than a lack of education or skills on the part of the mother. The student used all manner of personal examples to show how sexism/inequalities affected her.... but to me, each example was less about sexism, and more about personal choice and circumstance.

The problem with sexism is that it's become something that covers just about everything when it relates to the victim. Victims are given complete freedom in terms of responsibility, and everything that negatively affects them is translated into becoming examples where they were put down by others... usually "men". "Men" being a vague body of people who simply exist, like the boogeyman.

Reverse sexism is now institutionalised. It's in our government, and public service when women are elevated to roles because of their gender, or financing is awarded to women simply due to their gender. It's there in our schools. It's there pretty much everywhere in society.... because women are legally equal with men, and have no real need for such help. It simply comes down to personal choice, and mantaining the victim image.

and everything that negatively affects them is translated into becoming examples where they were put down by others... usually "men". "Men" being a vague body of people who simply exist, like the boogeyman.

Reverse sexism is now institutionalised. It's in our government, and public service when women are elevated to roles because of their gender, or financing is awarded to women simply due to their gender. It's there in our schools. It's there pretty much everywhere in society.... because women are legally equal with men, and have no real need for such help. It simply comes down to personal choice, and mantaining the victim image.
    That's true but still humans normally manipulate historical injustices a bit like talkling about Isreali air-strikes and the holocaust will usually get mentioned to derail.

It's still something I think can be corrected over time, but one of the worst problems is the silence of men so women only hear their own rhetoric parroted by women whose careers depend on keeping the victim-hood going (feminists) to keep themselves propped up in university faculties dominating social science depts. There's no doubt it's a big problem.

Look at Biden, he's was accused of rape and feminism has nothing to say because he's "one of them". It's a kind of arrogance that is undeniable that feminism is not about justice but to see what it can get.

That's true but still humans normally manipulate historical injustices a bit like talkling about Isreali air-strikes and the holocaust will usually get mentioned to derail.

It's still something I think can be corrected over time, but one of the worst problems is the silence of men so women only hear their own rhetoric parroted by women whose careers depend on keeping the victim-hood going (feminists) to keep themselves propped up in university faculties dominating social science depts. There's no doubt it's a big problem.

Look at Biden, he's was accused of rape and feminism has nothing to say because he's "one of them". It's a kind of arrogance that is undeniable that feminism is not about justice but to see what it can get.

The problem is..... what is feminism? Feminism is a lot like BLM or any other social movement founded along Marxist principles. I'm not talking about political science here. I'm talking about structure.

You have a central aim which is generally quite vague and can cover just about everything. There's no inner council, or leadership to represent the movement, instead, there are dozens or hundreds of chapters (associated groups) who will push the agenda, but don't represent the actual movement. So, they can make extreme statements and actions, and not be held accountable, but still, promote the cause through their presence.

People like to think of Feminism as being the same as it was in the 70s/80s, but it's evolved over time. Now, in reality, feminism is everywhere and represents everything. It's not about equality.. it never was... but it will be promoted as such, because equality captures the attention of people. So, they can push for ever greater rights for women, and more marginalisation of men, while also claiming that such groups don't represent the average woman. In spite of most women saying that they don't consider themselves to be feminists, feminism has more support now, than ever before... why? Because they can distance themselves when needed, and then come back, when everyone has forgotten what was said/done. Society has shifted away from informed discourse, to being informed of what we should think... and it's works.

As for men accepting it all, that's changing. There's far more pushback than ever before, and I see it growing as time goes by. Feminism because of how it's organised will generate the very resistance that it needs to exist. Such a movement needs an enemy, and men will step up eventually to become that enemy simply because they won't have any choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Read this article in IT.

This is wildly sexist...and there would be marches on the streets if the genders were reversed. Note the uproar about pension entitlements for married women recently.

Child maintenance payments should be tax deductible, simples.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/can-both-parents-claim-the-single-person-child-carer-tax-credit-1.4331554?mode=amp

For those that can't access the article...this is the guts of it.

"There is a credit available to single parents – called, logically, the Single Person Child Carer Credit. It has replaced a previous One-Parent Family Tax Credit since 2014 and is designed precisely to help people looking after dependent children on their own.

There is nothing to stop this being claimed by the father or the mother. But the key thing is that it an be claimed only by one or the other. This is the major difference with the old one parent family credit which could be claimed by both as long as the child or children lived with each of them for part of the year.

As you say, it is very likely that your children’s mother will also be claiming the single person child carer credit, so how do you, and more importantly, the Revenue Commissioners, figure out who gets it?"

• Advertisement

I think the UN can fk right off

https://twitter.com/UN/status/1302593895029714944

Advertisement