Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

silverharp wrote: »

From the speech: "While statistics indicate that women and girls are at lower risk from the COVID-19 virus itself, they are suffering because of the redirection of health funding and services."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

At least now we know where all those gender studies students ended up...those that got jobs from their useless degrees that is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

No
    McGaggs wrote: »
    From the speech: "While statistics indicate that women and girls are at lower risk from the COVID-19 virus itself, they are suffering because of the redirection of health funding and services."

Is that not because a higher proportion of health funding and services is spent on women?

silverharp wrote: »
    I think the UN can fk right off

The UN equality organisations prioritize women's rights over equality for both genders. All of their press releases regarding "equality" have minimized the needs of males, while promoting the needs of females.

So, yeah, I've long considered the UN to be one of the biggest opponents of genuine equality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    So it's talking about men's bodies and in the sixth paragraph she manages to both 1) talk about herself (as middle-class white women invariably do) and 2) mention how women are the real victims of objectification and have it worse.

The column sounds like a not very bright teenage girl's journal entry of a disorganized musing. And this is mainstream Graun. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

will she do a follow up on how men view gym thots as potential mothers? and something something big butts being “pluralistic mating strategies”:pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I wasn't sure which thread to put this one in.
    Harmange, a 25-year-old activist from Lille, said the book is an invitation to women “to imagine a new way of being, to take less account of the often unsupported opinions of men, to consider the adage ‘it is better to be alone than in bad company’ seriously, and to rediscover the strength of female relationships full of reciprocity, gentleness and strength”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

py2006 wrote: »
    I wasn't sure which thread to put this one in.

So basically it's a feminist version of MGTOW? I thought feminists hated MGTOW?

So basically it's a feminist version of MGTOW? I thought feminists hated MGTOW?

They should move to communes on opposite sides of a lake. With a film crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭iptba

50 female entrepreneurs with new businesses based in rural Ireland will be selected for a free, government-backed development initiative.

Any woman with a new business or ‘well-developed’ idea for a new venture they want to get off the ground can apply for the latest cycle of development initiative ACORNS.
    This is the 6th year of the Government-backed ACORNS programme, which is supported by the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, under its Rural Innovation and Development Fund.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/economy/arid-40049015.html

Here is another gem in todays Times about mansplaining :rolleyes:

py2006 wrote: »
    Here is another gem in todays Times about mansplaining :rolleyes:

Womansplaining is a growing problem. Women assuming men couldn't possibly know about certain subjects

Womansplaining is a growing problem. Women assuming men couldn't possibly know about certain subjects

I've met and worked with women that do this kinda thing too. Its a personality trait that some people have. Most don't realise they are being patronising and would be apologetic if the knew. But there are those (woman and men) who are just downright obnoxious.

Its twisted now into anything men say to women is mansplaining.

Example:

It's a word that's used by sexists. Just because women use the term doesn't stop it from being sexist.

There's some absolute gold in that IT article. The "Himpathy" bit in particular which is probably exact opposite of how things go in real life.

One of its purposes is presumably to shut someone up so neither you nor the others listening have to listen to what people have to say. And related to this, it’s a means of shaming the speaker.

I remember the debating societies when I was in college, which wasn’t today or yesterday. People mainly in the inner circle would say “shame shame” quite often if a person started saying something they didn’t agree with. It basically acted to restrict free speech and freedom of thought.

There's some absolute gold in that IT article. The "Himpathy" bit in particular which is probably exact opposite of how things go in real life.

Sounds a bit like homeopathy. I wonder is it because they're both a load of ****e?

iptba wrote: »
    People mainly in the inner circle would say “shame shame” quite often if a person started saying something they didn’t agree with.

- Sounds like something from a Ross O'Carroll-Kelly book
    - They don't seem to be great at debating.

- Sounds like something from a Ross O'Carroll-Kelly book
    - They don't seem to be great at debating.
    Indeed. It was TCD. Quite a lot of influential people in Ireland seem to have gone through such societies over the years though I don’t know how long the “shame shame” thing lasted or whether it still exists today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The "shame, shame" thing is pretty much universal in debating societies, most often used as an in-joke to heckle extremely good speakers (or committee members) in my experience (the Lit n Deb in NUI, Galway). I believe it originates from Westminster.

Another Irish times classic sexist article for today

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Talk about outdated views, he must be looking for funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

iptba wrote: »

I look forward to the gender balanced article referencing a "women's charity", that girls must learn to do their fair share of DIY from an early age.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Half of who's idea of housework? Most rows about one partner not doing their "fair share" tend to come from the partner with a preference for a higher standard of cleanliness than the other. Or from the partner who works the shorter hours and whines that the other party doesn't split the housework 50/50 with them.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Half of who's idea of housework? Most rows about one partner not doing their "fair share" tend to come from the partner with a preference for a higher standard of cleanliness than the other. Or from the partner who works the shorter hours and whines that the other party doesn't split the housework 50/50 with them.

Or those who make the most mess in the first place and expect their mess to be sorted along with the actual cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Sleepy wrote: »

Teachers, everytime ^^^^^^^^

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Teachers, everytime ^^^^^^^^

My parents are both teachers. Nah. Don't go blaming teachers for this kind of carryon. If anything, I'd be pointing fingers at part-timers, or those on flexi-time..

• Advertisement

Andhra Pradesh government to release 55 women prisoners

[..]

Explaining the reason for giving remission to them, Sucharitha said, "A woman is the most important institution in our family structure. A woman’s absence disturbs the entire family system. Women get themselves reformed very fast and also develop a sense of remorse for the crime committed by them and they are less likely to go back to their old ways again."

https://www.newindianexpress.com/states/andhra-pradesh/2020/nov/07/andhra-pradesh-government-to-release-55-women-prisoners-2220565.html

Advertisement