Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

My parents are both teachers. Nah. Don't go blaming teachers for this kind of carryon. If anything, I'd be pointing fingers at part-timers, or those on flexi-time..

Soooo teachers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

My parents are both teachers. Nah. Don't go blaming teachers for this kind of carryon. If anything, I'd be pointing fingers at part-timers, or those on flexi-time..

Definitely teachers then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

py2006 wrote: »

Ah tbf the front page of google is hardly the biggest concern. International Men's Day should be at the stage where it can stand on it's own merits and not be a 'what about...'.

• Advertisement

Also it's not a day to be combative in my opinion, Twitter (a rare foray on there today) is full of good messages but also full of 'men are X% more likely to Y'... it just dilutes the message of what's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭iptba

hots wrote: »
    Also it's not a day to be combative in my opinion, Twitter (a rare foray on there today) is full of good messages but also full of 'men are X% more likely to Y'... it just dilutes the message of what's important.
    I'm not sure there is only one correct way to approach the issues.

iptba wrote: »
    I'm not sure there is only one correct way to approach the issues.

No 100% agreed there. Just for me I think making today about positive actions on it's own right is the way I would like it to be. There's lots of other days to point out the imbalances.

In fairness, the Google home page should be highlighting things like mental illness, talking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just the latest pair of articles from the Examiner which seems to be trying to outdo the Times recently with its man hating content.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40086191.html
    This one beggars belief. A few excerpts:
    "But it's never ever their fault, is it? When it comes to crimes of a sexual nature, offences that disproportionately affect women, the victim is always to blame in the court of public opinion, the perpetrator a ghost-like figure with no agency of his own"

" as a society we inadvertently protect rapists, perverts and pedophiles with the myths we choose to continue believing.....These rapists, perverts and pedophiles aren't monstrous social outcasts living under bridges in trench coats, they're your college classmate, they're your professional colleague, they're your five-aside teammate, they're your neighbour"

"Sexual-based crimes might be illegal but they are not socially taboo"

Ludicrous. We live in a society where sex offenders have to be segregated for their own protection in prison as even the lowest of the low view them with contempt - yet the author claims that sex crimes "are not socially taboo"?! Frankly, the claims are so at odds with reality that my opinion is that the author is plain old lying and making stuff up to support her argument.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40087109.html
    The bould Louise O'Neill, who has been rather quiet recently, is back on form - and even name checks Boards as a site where she has been called a man hater. The piece byline claims that she is "not targeting individual men (#NotAllMen)" - yet the headline reads "Talk to your sons, rather than warning your daughters"......sounds like blaming all men to me Louise! In between pimping her books she further claims that "all [feminists] have ever argued for is equal rights and opportunities for men and women" - a claim that is demonstrable as false by a quick flick through this forum alone. Women have equal rights in Ireland, and (many) feminists are looking not for equality of opportunity (which they have), but equality of outcome.

• Advertisement

International men's day can **** right off.

So can international women's day.

trans awareness WEEK can **** off too.

Every single person is an individual. We all have our own problems. A day of some **** virtue signalling that they care and then berate me for my "privilege" for the rest of the 364 days means ****ing less than nothing.

It's insulting.

Be aware that people are fighting battles. Try not to be a ****. Always tell the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Just the latest pair of articles from the Examiner which seems to be trying to outdo the Times recently with its man hating content.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40086191.html
    This one beggars belief. A few excerpts:
    "But it's never ever their fault, is it? When it comes to crimes of a sexual nature, offences that disproportionately affect women, the victim is always to blame in the court of public opinion, the perpetrator a ghost-like figure with no agency of his own"

" as a society we inadvertently protect rapists, perverts and pedophiles with the myths we choose to continue believing.....These rapists, perverts and pedophiles aren't monstrous social outcasts living under bridges in trench coats, they're your college classmate, they're your professional colleague, they're your five-aside teammate, they're your neighbour"

"Sexual-based crimes might be illegal but they are not socially taboo"

Ludicrous. We live in a society where sex offenders have to be segregated for their own protection in prison as even the lowest of the low view them with contempt - yet the author claims that sex crimes "are not socially taboo"?! Frankly, the claims are so at odds with reality that my opinion is that the author is plain old lying and making stuff up to support her argument.

The bould Louise O'Neill, who has been rather quiet recently, is back on form - and even name checks Boards as a site where she has been called a man hater. The piece byline claims that she is "not targeting individual men (#NotAllMen)" - yet the headline reads "Talk to your sons, rather than warning your daughters"......sounds like blaming all men to me Louise! In between pimping her books she further claims that "all [feminists] have ever argued for is equal rights and opportunities for men and women" - a claim that is demonstrable as false by a quick flick through this forum alone. Women have equal rights in Ireland, and (many) feminists are looking not for equality of opportunity (which they have), but equality of outcome.

I'm slightly miffed by all this. Talk to your daughters too. They also need to know not to forward on intimate pictures to their friends. They also need to know to require consent and not to act a bit rapey, especially with drunk people.

I've never encountered anyone sharing intimate pictures, and the inappropriate behaviour I've witnessed is probably evenly split gender wise (probably slightly more frequent by men, but worse by women).

I think Louise is a very troubled young woman and it has affected her outlook on life (and men).

She is heavily criticised for a reason. Yet she views/dismisses any criticism as misogyny, which is an attitude promoted by modern day feminism.

I think Louise is a very troubled young woman and it has affected her outlook on life (and men).

She is heavily criticised for a reason. Yet she views/dismisses any criticism as misogyny, which is an attitude promoted by modern day feminism.

I can never understand how she's still left post her clear bias in everything she does

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

This is the thing. Any criticism of people holding 'woke' views - no matter how polite and well reasoned - is dismissed as "trolling", "right wing", "incels" etc. These people quite literally think that there can be no good reason for anyone to disagree with them, so anyone who does must be 'bad'. Just a form of bullying really.

cms88 wrote: »
    I can never understand how she's still left post her clear bias in everything she does

Because she would scream to the highest that misogynists are controlling her and other women and censoring their concept of equality.

Aside from that, gender quotas etc is prob keeping her in

‘Shatter the glass ceiling’: First woman university chief in Ireland after 428 years
    University of Limerick president Prof Kerstin Mey says more women need to be appointed to senior roles
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/shatter-the-glass-ceiling-first-woman-university-chief-in-ireland-after-428-years-1.4417273
    Gender inequality

She is a strong supporter of an initiative, spearheaded by previous minister for higher education Mary Mitchell O’Connor, which is resulting in the appointment of dozens of women-only professorships aimed at tackling gender inequality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

iptba wrote: »

Who cares about providing the best education as long as you can provide gender equality.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Who cares about providing the best education as long as you can provide gender equality.
    Or even "gender equality".

• Advertisement

Speak to any man who has dressed as a woman during Halloween, and he's bound to have been sexually assaulted by a woman... I've done it three times in Europe with dubious results.. only in Asia did I have no issues dressing as such.

When women feel that they can do anything... and it be considered "funny", many will do it.

So it turns out the school in Carlow it was female teachers who brought it up and not male ones. Funny how the full time outraged straight away just to the conclusion that it was the male teachers who brought it up....

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

What happened to all the good reporters, is this the outcome of certain people getting the job based on their sex and not their qualifications seems to be alot that jumped on the band wagon without looking into it. Are we surprised tho its 2020. Id be on to my lawyer about the whole thing.

So it turns out the school in Carlow it was female teachers who brought it up and not male ones. Funny how the full time outraged straight away just to the conclusion that it was the male teachers who brought it up....

One of the reasons men don't go for teaching positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Which, once again, anybody with half a brain would have figured out immediately.

"Male teacher says young girls shouldn't wear tight clothes to class as they're distracting" - That's career suicide and possibly jail time, under the current climate.

Doesn't seem to be well reported. I don't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/it-s-shocking-how-men-have-driven-women-away-from-exercising-in-public-1.4422925

"It’s shocking how men have driven women away from exercising in public"

Men did what exactly?

It's certainly shocking!!

It's shocking that this can be a headline in a 'quality' newspaper in 2020....awful tripe.

Yes Malachy, you myopic muppet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

daithi7 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/it-s-shocking-how-men-have-driven-women-away-from-exercising-in-public-1.4422925

"It’s shocking how men have driven women away from exercising in public"

Men did what exactly?

It's certainly shocking!!

It's shocking that this can be a headline in a 'quality' newspaper in 2020....awful tripe.

Yes Malachy, you myopic muppet!!

There's never any acknowledgement that men have the same mental risk assessments, although we are able to take on more risk at times. There's often complaints how women can't walk safely through cities after dark and men can walk where we want. We can't, there's places we won't go after dark bit we just accept that. Countless men have got their risk assessment wrong and been attacked because of it.

It's **** for everyone, and maybe worse for women.

" From there, she went on to detail the findings of studies from around the world that laid bare the barriers to women of all ages being able to exercise in confidence and peace.

Not to put too fine a point on it, the main barrier is men. Being among men in open spaces generates what can kindly be termed a spectrum of unwanted feelings among women exercising, from mild discomfort to outright fear. It comes in a multitude of ways, some glaringly obvious, some not entirely so. Some that most of us – most of us men at any rate – wouldn’t ever think of as being an issue.
    "

So... let me get this straight. Women sought equality with men, and complete freedom in how they behave.. but now, the mere presence of men, is creating a barrier to women doing what they want to do. Where were these barriers decades ago? They didn't exist, because social norms were established, and therefore people knew how to behave in all manner of situations, and because of this, we could identify those who acted beyond the social norms.

However, those social norms were repressive since they limited how women could behave in public (they limited men too, but that wasn't an issue for anyone to be concerned about).. and so these cultural/social norms were removed, or worse yet, ostracized. Now, we have the case, that women are feeling threatened because there are no conventions to limit supposed male behavior.

This reminds me of the "thought police" where women know what a guy is thinking, even when the guy, himself, doesn't know what he's thinking... because by being able to project thoughts on to another person, they can apply accusations without any evidence, or merit. It makes me laugh. Women have encouraged the objectifying of them based on their bodies throughout history, and the rise of social media is driven in large part by the photos/videos of women's appearance, but God forbid, they take any responsibility for what has evolved.

The worst part is that the author is male. I read the whole article. Absolute retarded notions designed to create conflict. The world we live in... just reinforces why so many western males are leaving Europe/US, and moving to other areas,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Once again, the comments section in that article is the most worrying part of it all. Basically, either you 100% agree with the article or you're some sort of right-wing, misogynistic monster who oozes brain matter out of his (invariably HIS) nose.

Except for ONE spectacular, perfect comment that knocks it out of the park - and which everyone has ignored.

User "IsaF" writes:
    The reality is both men and women encounter abuse when they exercise. As a trans man I can state this categorically because I've experienced it living in both genders. However social norms mean that men are much less likely to report this kind of abuse (or even to admit it).

For women there is a framework of 'speaking out' and 'claiming space' that allows them to experience a kind of strength and freedom in speaking about these sorts of experiences. For men there isn't and the internal & social experience is likely to be one of failure.

Also, my own experience of abuse whilst exercising is that it is often from teenage girls in groups or from boys egged on by girls in their group - that thing where girls challenge boys to prove themselves to them. Secondly, that whilst I received more verbal abuse when I was living as a woman, I have received more physical abuse as a man.

Nobody can argue that there aren't morons around. There are plenty and if you ask me, these aren't worth the oxygen they use; It takes a particular amount of spinelessness, cowardice and idiocy to harass someone "for fun" while in a clear advantageous position - on a vehicle to get away quickly, in a group so you don't fear confrontation and so on. You know the classic "if you could choose a superpower, what would it be?" question? Well, I would seriously consider "the ability to make lightning strike on command" on purpose for these people.

To claim it is a "gender issue" is impossibly stupid. Nobody is inherently safe from these bags of p1ss - it can be that you're too tall, too short, too fat, too thin, too brown, too white, wear something too old style, too modern and/or whatever they deem worthy of harassment.
    So... let me get this straight. Women sought equality with men, and complete freedom in how they behave.. but now, the mere presence of men, is creating a barrier to women doing what they want to do. Where were these barriers decades ago? They didn't exist, because social norms were established, and therefore people knew how to behave in all manner of situations, and because of this, we could identify those who acted beyond the social norms.

Klaz, as usual I couldn't agree more on all the points you make. I could take it further, but it'd be an infinite discussion, really.
    This reminds me of the "thought police" where women know what a guy is thinking, even when the guy, himself, doesn't know what he's thinking... because by being able to project thoughts on to another person, they can apply accusations without any evidence, or merit. It makes me laugh.

It'd be laughable indeed, if it wasn't that there are very real consequences. Be accused of anything, and if you are "lucky" enough to have a d1ck, you're guilty by automation. Or proxy, as in the case of that article :confused:
    Women have encouraged the objectifying of them based on their bodies throughout history, and the rise of social media is driven in large part by the photos/videos of women's appearance, but God forbid, they take any responsibility for what has evolved.

Eh no, that would be "victim blaming", don't you know...
    Let's be clear - I have absolutely nothing against it. If a woman recognizes the potential of her appearance as a source of success and/or income and wants to exploit it, more power to her; It's also nowhere as easy a thing to do as many actually think.

However, I'd really like to see how this whole discussion would pan out if the "ultra-feminist" slice of society, those who seem to be intent in basically damaging women's chances as well as men's, had their way. I'd like to see what the next target would be.

You know, like the whole "grid girls" fiasco in F1 a couple of years ago - everyone heralding how it was a "new era", the end of "oppression" and so on. While the girls themselves were basically going "thank you fcuckers, you put us all out of what was a very good, highly paid and easy job!". The fact that most didn't catch was how most of the media took the angle that these girls were basically high class prostitutes...which was very clearly not the case, but you know, facts and their scarce popularity.
    The worst part is that the author is male. I read the whole article. Absolute retarded notions designed to create conflict. The world we live in... just reinforces why so many western males are leaving Europe/US, and moving to other areas,.

Unfortunately, I can't imagine other "advanced" areas of the world to be immune to this pointless "us vs them" mentality for very long. Hopefully I'm very, very wrong...

Advertisement