Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Marcos

Calhoun wrote: »
    She wasn't the worst of them but I couldn't get over installing Una Mulally as the education tsar.

I'm not sure I can agree with that tbh. There's plenty of things that you could point the finger at her for. She's just a grifter, a Mé Féinner that managed to get into the Seanad and fool people in giving her enough transfers to scrape into the last seat in Dublin South West as an independent and then immediately turned around a finagled her way into the cabinet, being more loyal that a lot of Fine Gaelers. Remember her first act was to claim she traveled 25km to get to the Dáil, but her home is 22KM away according to the AA. But if you had to travel 25km you can claim €80,000 in travel expenses, but that's ok because [URL="[url]https://www.thejournal.ie/katherine-zappone-travel-expenses-2732813-Apr2016"]there was no wrongdoing[/URL]. :rolleyes:

Look at her disgraceful treatment of the Tuam babies scandal, hiding information about birth parents from children forcibly adopted by nuns in mother and baby homes, and just before the election Tusla which she set up, brought in rules potentially allowing alleged child abusers to interview complainants, something that doesn't sit right with most people I imagine.

Regarding her treatment of gender issues. She and her, now deceased wife, set up the an Cosán centre in Tallaght to help women gain access to education. Note women only. So I'm not surprised that she sets up a fellow traveler like Mulally to a position like that.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

silverharp wrote: »

I understand it's the Guardian, but by Jove, at least know what you're talking about folks - last time I checked, the most influential fiction author of the last 10 years isn't a dude.

Also, of the first 10 best selling books in 2019:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/the-top-100-bestsellers-of-the-year/_/N-1p4d

It's a perfect 50-50 split between male and female authors. But hey Guardian, let's not get facts get in the way of babbling...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭iptba

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Click bait article lads from a rag that tries to get you to donate on any article they put in place.

• Advertisement

Marcos wrote: »
    I'm not sure I can agree with that tbh. There's plenty of things that you could point the finger at her for. She's just a grifter, a Mé Féinner that managed to get into the Seanad and fool people in giving her enough transfers to scrape into the last seat in Dublin South West as an independent and then immediately turned around a finagled her way into the cabinet, being more loyal that a lot of Fine Gaelers. Remember her first act was to claim she traveled 25km to get to the Dáil, but her home is 22KM away according to the AA. But if you had to travel 25km you can claim €80,000 in travel expenses, but that's ok because [URL="[url]https://www.thejournal.ie/katherine-zappone-travel-expenses-2732813-Apr2016"]there was no wrongdoing[/URL]. :rolleyes:

Look at her disgraceful treatment of the Tuam babies scandal, hiding information about birth parents from children forcibly adopted by nuns in mother and baby homes, and just before the election Tusla which she set up, brought in rules potentially allowing alleged child abusers to interview complainants, something that doesn't sit right with most people I imagine.

Regarding her treatment of gender issues. She and her, now deceased wife, set up the an Cosán centre in Tallaght to help women gain access to education. Note women only. So I'm not surprised that she sets up a fellow traveler like Mulally to a position like that.

Honestly i didn't know the full extent of what she was up to. I had head about the Cosan centre but not that it was female only.

My main concern was definintely Mulally as i would not want someone who engages in identity politics anywhere near kids.

Good riddence so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    Calhoun wrote: »
    Honestly i didn't know the full extent of what she was up to. I had head about the Cosan centre but not that it was female only.

My main concern was definintely Mulally as i would not want someone who engages in identity politics anywhere near kids.

Good riddence so.

I'm with you there. It didn't do Mary Mitchell O'Connor much good mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    Reading the D 15 election thread, Ruth Coppinger pissed a lot of people with a leaflet she circulated before voting day with a nice message of vote for me cos I'm a woman, and then found out to her cost that what seems good in the feminist echo chamber doesn't always translate in real life.

I'm with you there. It didn't do Mary Mitchell O'Connor much good mind.

There was a social democrat who ran in my area this time around, who was in the papers over the past year or so talking about Irelands rape culture and misogynistic men.

At the local hustings it was reported that she was more engaged on national politics/agenda than she was on what was happening locally.

If you aren't bothered putting in the effort locally in Ireland you wont get in. When we have health, housing and educational problems nobody wants to know about tinfoil hat "the men are taking over".

The Real Sexism Project
    http://www.realsexism.com/

I haven't read through the page looks like it could be a useful source, if somebody wanted something to cite/reference on a particular point.

• Advertisement

iptba wrote: »
    http://www.realsexism.com/

I haven't read through the page looks like it could be a useful source, if somebody wanted something to cite/reference on a particular point.

very interesting, and useful. Cheers.

I've got some pushback from previously highlighting issues in India, so here goes:
    Women to get Rs 500 per month from today under PM Jan Dhan Yojana

At least 200 million poor women account holders under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) can start withdrawing Rs 500 from Friday for the next three months as part of the government’s measures for those worst hit by the 21-day lockdown to break the chain of coronavirus infection.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/coronavirus-update-women-to-get-rs-500-per-month-from-today-under-pm-jan-dhan-yojana/story-KxAb6jZRrPqUUvA2uNSwxI.html

https://www.communityfoundation.ie/images/uploads/pdfs/A_guide_to_The_Community_Foundation_for_Ireland.pdf
    The Community Foundation for Ireland is one of the largest philanthropic organisations in Ireland. We were established in 2000 with the support of Government and the business sector. The Community Foundation for Ireland helps people make a difference by inspiring a spirit of giving and by investing in people and solutions to benefit every community. From an initial investment of €1m in 2000 and through the support of families, individuals, corporates and other trusts and foundations, we have invested many millions in our communities and grown a perpetual fund that will allow us to continue supporting social causes into the future.
    Women’s Fund
    The Women’s Fund for Ireland is a longterm philanthropic fund to support women and girls in Ireland. Current priorities of the Fund are the prevention of violence against women and the empowerment of women to take leadership roles in communities. When you support the Women’s Fund, you are joining a community of everyday philanthropists committed to improving the lives of women and girls in Ireland, both now and into the future
    I have just come across this charity. The Women's Fund was set up in 2010, so not at the start, so doesn't seem like it is part of its core mission. They don't seem to have a similar fund for men.

I just got this email:
    This is one last request for your feedback on Audiense.
    For each review, G2 will donate $10 to Girls Who Code. Girls Who Code's mission is to close the gender gap in technology.

G2 is an independent review site where over 1 million professionals like you are sharing their opinions on the software they use.
    G2© is the world's largest tech marketplace where people like you can discover, manage, and review the technology you use.
    It would have been nice if some of the proceeds were going to an initiative like this, some of the proceeds would also have gone to help males.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

https://www.communityfoundation.ie/images/uploads/pdfs/A_guide_to_The_Community_Foundation_for_Ireland.pdf

I have just come across this charity. The Women's Fund was set up in 2010, so not at the start, so doesn't seem like it is part of its core mission. They don't seem to have a similar fund for men.

When you see a breast cancer charity, do you say “What about lung cancer?”; when you see a Cystics Fybrosis charity do you say “What about Down’s Syndrome though?”

When you set up a charity to support a cause you care about, you’re not under any obligation to set up a similar fund for every cause on that spectrum.

KiKi III wrote: »
    When you see a breast cancer charity, do you say “What about lung cancer?”; when you see a Cystics Fybrosis charity do you say “What about Down’s Syndrome though?”

When you set up a charity to support a cause you care about, you’re not under any obligation to set up a similar fund for every cause on that spectrum.

Yes, but it would be nice to see some attempt at creating an equal society.

There are no barriers to women working as coders. None. It's simply that they're less interested in the type of work involved. So, wouldn't it be nice to see similar initiatives to encourage males into industries which tend to be dominated by women? (Initiatives like the above to encourage women into particular industries is far from rare, whereas any similar incentive for males, is.)

It's just a social trend worth commenting on.

If a charity was set up to help women, then it is fair enough that it just helps women. As I specifically pointed out in this case, that wasn’t the case in this case. The charity was set up in 2000.

This is the mission when it was set up:
    The Community Foundation for Ireland is one of the largest philanthropic organisations in Ireland. We were established in 2000 with the support of Government and the business sector. The Community Foundation for Ireland helps people make a difference by inspiring a spirit of giving and by investing in people and solutions to benefit every communityFrom an initial investment of €1m in 2000 and through the support of families, individuals, corporates and other trusts and foundations, we have invested many millions in our communities and grown a perpetual fund that will allow us to continue supporting social causes into the future.
    Then in 2010, whoever was running it then decided to devote part of its funds to help women specifically. It could easily have set up a similar fund for males. There are only two genders (basically). It’s not like having to set up a fund for every illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Would seem Mila Kunis and Kutcher have a son who has more a sense of fairness than either of his liberal parents:

https://twitter.com/aplusk/status/1268034805825855488

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Do you think our State should be obligated to disperse funding to both male services and female services equally?

Yes, but it would be nice to see some attempt at creating an equal society.

There are no barriers to women working as coders. None. It's simply that they're less interested in the type of work involved. ...

This a million, a billion times over. The whole "women in STEM" promotion is more and more ridiculous as it becomes obvious to anybody with a brain that a large percentage of women are simply not interested.

I've said it many times, I will reiterate: I have been in the position of hiring for my own team no less than 5 times over the last two years; The ratio of applicants between men and women is 9:1. There simply aren't as many women interested in that career path.

Same principle, reversed, I am sure can be applied in fields such as education.

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    This a million, a billion times over. The whole "women in STEM" promotion is more and more ridiculous as it becomes obvious to anybody with a brain that a large percentage of women are simply not interested.

I've said it many times, I will reiterate: I have been in the position of hiring for my own team no less than 5 times over the last two years; The ratio of applicants between men and women is 9:1. There simply aren't as many women interested in that career path.

Same principle, reversed, I am sure can be applied in fields such as education.

Or politics. It's why quotas are such an unfunny joke

The death penalty can only be used against men in Belarus
    Death in Minsk

It's thought that more than 400 people have been executed since Belarus became independent in 1991, though numbers have dwindled to a handful per year

The death penalty has not been carried out in any other European country since 1996

President Lukashenko rejects calls for a moratorium citing the "will of the people" - a 1996 referendum in which 80% voted in favour of capital punishment

Women cannot be sentenced to death in Belarus, only men
    https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-52910202
    In Belarus, you cannot sentence a woman to death — this is the law. But it is women who suffer most from death sentences.
    https://dp.spring96.org/en/news/90861

Seems a bit odd that the IHREC (=The Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission is Ireland's national human rights and Equality institution) is supporting a service just for women.
    Free employment law advice clinic for women with National Women's Council of Ireland

We're delighted that our free employment law advice clinic for women, with the National Women's Council of Ireland (NWCI) and supported by IHREC, is back up and running by phone consultation. To book an appointment, contact the Legal Officer at NWCI at deniser@nwci.ie
    http://www.communitylawandmediation.ie/covid-19-advice-and-resources.1899.html

The death penalty can only be used against men in Belarus

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-52910202

https://dp.spring96.org/en/news/90861

Here we go with the "women suffer the most from it" - I guess it can be called logic in a way, if you're dead you don't mind much about much :rolleyes:

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Here we go with the "women suffer the most from it" - I guess it can be called logic in a way, if you're dead you don't mind much about much :rolleyes:
    I wonder how it would go down if people started saying if only women were being killed in a particular situation that men had it worse! e.g. men worst hit by cervical screening service problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

I don't think this has been in the thread before, but after seeing it a couple of weeks ago this is rearing its ugly head again....casual sexism anyone?

van34pey8j251.jpg

Of course everyone knows its the fault of men that covid-19 has decimated the planet in the way that it has, but women are the saviour...yippeee. :rolleyes:

This is just one example of many of these posters, and this one in Pakistan of all places!!!

I wonder how it would go down if people started saying if only women were being killed in a particular situation that men had it worse! e.g. men worst hit by cervical screening service problems.

Well come on, now you are applying ACTUAL logic, you know it's not allowed in this context ;)3

irishejit wrote: »
    I don't think this has been in the thread before, but after seeing it a couple of weeks ago this is rearing its ugly head again....casual sexism anyone?

van34pey8j251.jpg

Of course everyone knows its the fault of men that covid-19 has decimated the planet in the way that it has, but women are the saviour...yippeee. :rolleyes:

This is just one example of many of these posters, and this one in Pakistan of all places!!!

Uff...besides the "forcing" of the acronym "women" (MEN works well), that poster is a classic example of stuff that would have been innocent and funny until a decade or so ago, but has become an issue now.

Normally, I'd find that quite amusing - but when you drop it in the middle of the noise, it becomes a problem. A drop of water won't drown you, but if it's part of an ocean, it might very well be the one that kills you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Given that its Pakistan , they are at the drop of water stage so probably is funny for them

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The Community Foundation for Ireland is one of the largest philanthropic organisations in Ireland. We were established in 2000 with the support of Government and the business sector. The Community Foundation for Ireland helps people make a difference by inspiring a spirit of giving and by investing in people and solutions to benefit every community. From an initial investment of €1m in 2000 and through the support of families, individuals, corporates and other trusts and foundations, we have invested many millions in our communities and grown a perpetual fund that will allow us to continue supporting social causes into the future.
    Women’s Fund
    The Women’s Fund for Ireland is a longterm philanthropic fund to support women and girls in Ireland. Current priorities of the Fund are the prevention of violence against women and the empowerment of women to take leadership roles in communities. When you support the Women’s Fund, you are joining a community of everyday philanthropists committed to improving the lives of women and girls in Ireland, both now and into the future

This is the charity that RTE's Comic Relief is for today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Caught red handed with three times over the 13 grandworth of weed statutory sentence limit , days to serve? ZERO

Even Joshua ballymoe rellish Allen himself got more than that and peoe went mad altogether saying be was under punished.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/woman-gets-suspended-sentence-after-seizure-of-cannabis-worth-40k-in-east-cork-1007751.html

Advertisement