Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

My Mum is in one of those Hospitals at the moment and says it's deserted. I'm not allowed in so just have to take her word for it. Hopefully picking her up tomorrow when the doctors come back from the weekend off and give her the all clear.

I know two people who have had elective surgery cancelled in the last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭prunudo

That's how echo chambers are created.

Exactly, there's posters I don't agree with but I wouldn't put them on ignore, scroll past and don't engage but blanking them completely isn't a good idea in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I barely leave the house. I go out one day a week for essentials, which I buy via click and collect, and yes, I get a takeaway coffee from McDonalds Drive-Thru when I do. In case you aren't aware, all McDs workers are behind plexi glass, and are gloved and masked - even at the drive-thru windows.

But excuse me - I totally forgot that anyone who is in an at risk category is supposed to lock ourselves away out of sight and out of mind fo for fear that the restrictions we need to try and stay uninfected might inconvenience anyone else.

It just says it all and shows everything that is wrong with the attitude of people in this country when people who are high risk and trying to be careful are being trolled and criticised for following restrictions, instead of those who are ignoring them.

It's really sad, there is such ageism in this country, people just want the elderly locked away because they can't deal with not being able to go drinking with the lads. It's affecting their mental health too much, apparently. It also seems their attitude towards anyone medically vulnerable is "well stay at home if you don't want to be sick". Have we always been such selfish people? Probably :( we're such whingers, it isn't even a proper lockdown, we can still go out and buy food, stuff for DIY, get shopping online, read books, watch Netflix, light the fire, have a walk in nature, take the kids out to ride their bikes etc. All these wonderful simple things we can do and all we hear is people shíteing on about how their mental health is affected because they can't buy fluffy pyjamas or new knickers in Penney's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

prunudo wrote: »
    Exactly, there's posters I don't agree with but I wouldn't put them on ignore, scroll past and don't engage but blanking them completely isn't a good idea in the long run.

Absolutely. I love my daily Mitty intake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Done.

And for what its worth, you and the other poster both took the opportunity to nit pick my posts and get some below the belt digs in because I said I went to McDs drive thru for a take away coffee, selectively ingnoring the whole reason why I opted to go to McDs drive thru in the first place - because of other people being irresponsible.

But no, you both ignored that part of what I posted, and chose to criticise ME instead.

Yes we know why you went to McDonald’s and not Costa but my point is still valid about getting a take away coffee and you can ignore it if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭prunudo

Blondini wrote: »
    Absolutely. I love my daily Mitty intake.

Mitty? Don't know that poster, maybe i do have an ignore list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Yes we know why you went to McDonald’s and not Costa but my point is still valid about getting a take away coffee and you can ignore it if you want.

Doubt you got his point, or you did and just keep playing stupid word game for the sake of posting something. Getting cheap at this stage.

Your point was basically that people who are at high risk should not use takeaways.

Even when they're about as non-contact as you can get like a McDs drive thru where everyone is behind screens, masked and gloved and payment is contactless.

Which backs up my point that there is an expectation that at risk people are should disappear completely behind locked doors and not make themselves inconvenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Antares35 wrote: »
    It's really sad, there is such ageism in this country, people just want the elderly locked away because they can't deal with not being able to go drinking with the lads. It's affecting their mental health too much, apparently. It also seems their attitude towards anyone medically vulnerable is "well stay at home if you don't want to be sick". Have we always been such selfish people? Probably :( we're such whingers, it isn't even a proper lockdown, we can still go out and buy food, stuff for DIY, get shopping online, read books, watch Netflix, light the fire, have a walk in nature, take the kids out to ride their bikes etc. All these wonderful simple things we can do and all we hear is people shíteing on about how their mental health is affected because they can't buy fluffy pyjamas or new knickers in Penney's :D

I haven't heard anyone calling for that. People just want to get on with their lives, you do only get one after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

I’m not adhering but only visit one other household. I was more obedient in the Spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Done.

And for what its worth, you and the other poster both took the opportunity to nit pick my posts and get some below the belt digs in because I said I went to McDs drive thru for a take away coffee, selectively ingnoring the whole reason why I opted to go to McDs drive thru in the first place - because of other people being irresponsible.

But no, you both ignored that part of what I posted, and chose to criticise ME instead.

You're criticising others for what you see as reckless behaviour, yet you're doing much the same yourself given you are in the actual "at risk" category.

You also expect an overwhelming majority of people who are not at any significant risk to put their lives, relationships, jobs, and general wellbeing so that you can continue to do so - effectively laughing at the efforts they are making on your behalf.

That I think is the problem with your posts. You think that a country can be ran on the basis of the needs of the few rather than the many. We've tried that since about May and it hasn't worked, it's just caused massive damage to the economy, employment and people's mental and general health. Why? Because it's not a sustainable approach over the long term as more people are starting to wake up to.

polesheep wrote: »
    I haven't heard anyone calling for that. People just want to get on with their lives, you do only get one after all.

You didn't hear anyone, right? There's plenty of posts around calling for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Do you get kicks out of admonishing people for deciding for themselves to get a take away coffee ? Seriously ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Your point was basically that people who are at high risk should not use takeaways.

Even when they're about as non-contact as you can get like a McDs drive thru where everyone is behind screens, masked and gloved and payment is contactless.

Which backs up my point that there is an expectation that at risk people are should disappear completely behind locked doors and not make themselves inconvenient.

I thought you blocked me.
    I said I know people at high risk groups and they wouldn’t get take aways due to the risks. I never said people should be locked away.
    I also pointed out to you I have visited take aways and restaurants and I saw staff touching masks, taking cash and touching stuff going away from screens, etc.
    McDonalds are taking cash by the way.
    None of this can seen in your car at the drive thru.
    If you didn’t like what you say in Costa. You certainly wouldn’t like to see what I’ve seen in other take aways.

Not much else to say to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Multiple houses in my area are clearly ignoring the household restriction. Only this afternoon watching tribes of people walk in and out of houses laughing and joking, I honestly hope they spread amongst themselves and get ill.
    I've been restricted from all the things that I like and get on with what has been asked from me, these plebs ignore it and will probably cause the poxy lockdown to be longer..

Horrible attitude wishing illness on others, be careful, the penny is round.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Do you get kicks out of admonishing people for deciding for themselves to get a take away coffee ? Seriously ?

The poster is wholly entitled to get their takeaway coffee if they wish. I'm sure it's a much needed touch of normality for them in an otherwise upended routine and that's completely understandable.

However, they don't get to judge what touches of normality other people choose to make this all a little easier, nor do they get to criticise those others when they themselves are taking unnecessary risks given they are in the vulnerable category.

That's the point being made

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The poster is wholly entitled to get their takeaway coffee if they wish. I'm sure it's a much needed touch of normality for them in an otherwise upended routine and that's completely understandable.

However, they don't get to judge what touches of normality other people choose to make this all a little easier, nor do they get to criticise those others when they themselves are taking unnecessary risks given they are in the vulnerable category.

That's the point being made

Just a little quote from original post

I was parked in the Square Shopping Centre last night at approx 6:30pm (doing click and collect) and there were literally gangs of teenagers roving in big groups of 10, 20 - blocking the entrance and exit to the centre. Their parents should be ashamed.

Yet OP is getting beating for getting his coffee. Great job guys.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Just a little quote from original post

I was parked in the Square Shopping Centre last night at approx 6:30pm (doing click and collect) and there were literally gangs of teenagers roving in big groups of 10, 20 - blocking the entrance and exit to the centre. Their parents should be ashamed.

Yet OP is getting beating for getting his coffee. Great job guys.

The OP is getting a "beating" for criticising others when they themselves are taking unnecessary risks.

The OP needs their coffee. Teenagers need to be with their friends - perhaps even more so than others as they generally don't have kids, stable relationships, a established circle of similar people around them.

But if the OP is at risk as they've said then presumably they don't think it's all that big a deal really to prevent them from getting their coffee

The OP is getting a "beating" for criticising others when they themselves are taking unnecessary risks.

The OP needs their coffee. Teenagers need to be with their friends - perhaps even more so than others as they generally don't have kids, stable relationships, a established circle of similar people around them.

But if the OP is at risk as they've said then presumably they don't think it's all that big a deal really to prevent them from getting their coffee

I'm sorry, but out of all of OP posted, we are talking about coffee, none of the other posters noticed more important part..

I'm sorry, but out of all of OP posted, we are talking about coffee, none of the other posters noticed more important part..

I've explained it several times above. I can't do much more.

It's not about coffee. It's the OP criticising others for what they see as reckless unnecessary behaviour, while engaging in similar behaviour themselves - made worse by the fact that they actually ARE, by their own admission, at real risk.

Or if you prefer, maybe the old saying about people in glass houses might make the point better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I'm sure those piling on now will also go back to saying how lockdown is bad for "mental health" after their performance the last few hours.

Quite forgetful they are.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'm sure those piling on now will also go back to saying how lockdown is bad for "mental health" after their performance the last few hours.

Quite forgetful they are.

Not at all, but "do as I say, not as I do" tends not to go down well with most people.

Just ask any of the people involved in the Golfgate scandal.

It's not about coffee. It's the OP criticising others for what they see as reckless unnecessary behaviour, while engaging in similar behaviour themselves - made worse by the fact that they actually ARE, by their own admission, at real risk.

Or if you prefer, maybe the old saying about people in glass houses might make the point better?

Well I get it. But if we follow restrictions, how dangerous it can be to get take away coffee? I bet risk is seriously low. Some random gatherings for whatever reason, on the other hand, are much more dangerous, aren't they. We'll still end up saying actions of few are or will affect majority.

Well I get it. But if we follow restrictions, how dangerous it can be to get take away coffee? I bet risk is seriously low. Some random gatherings for whatever reason, on the other hand, are much more dangerous, aren't they. We'll still end up saying actions of few are or will affect majority.

Here's the thing though. The stats prove that the actions of few won't actually affect the majority. They'll affect people like the OP.

But that said, they are still as entitled to their coffee as anyone else. If their personal assessment is that it's low risk to them then by all means work away.

That doesn't entitle them to criticise others for doing things that they deem low risk to them though.

We cannot continue to try to control the behaviour of a majority of people who are at little risk from CV-19 so the small minority that are can do things that are far riskier to them.

Make your own decisions based on your own level of risk, that of your family and loved ones, and behave accordingly.
    No one is actually preventing anyone locking themselves down if that's what they feel is necessary you know. It may even be the best option for people like the OP, but it's this attempt to micromanage and control everyone else that is causing the bigger issues and frustration all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Probably more likely to get it from the coffee than being near someone with their nose showing anyway. I'm sorry but stay away from Costa and McDonald's if your that worried.

Horrible attitude wishing illness on others, be careful, the penny is round.

This seems to be pretty common among those who are complaining about others who they feel are not taking the situation as seriously as they are.

Belittle, insult, ignore the point of the post they reply to, throw stuff in like "flat earther" or "Trump supporter", and when all else fails, tell them you hope they get sick (so there!) :rolleyes:

The sad thing is this isn't young teens throwing a strop. These are grown adults - but it's too often what passes for "debate" nowadays.

bush wrote: »
    Probably more likely to get it from the coffee than being near someone with their nose showing anyway. I'm sorry but stay away from Costa and McDonald's if your that worried.

? Where did I say I'm worried, or shopping in Costa or McDonald's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

Yea I'm visiting my two brothers who work from home along with myself. Different households and only themselves there in each. Only time they leave the house is for shopping.

Other than that yea I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Jimson wrote: »
    Yea I'm visiting my two brothers who work from home along with myself. Different households and only themselves there in each. Only time they leave the house is for shopping.

Other than that yea I am.

So which option in the poll did you choose?

? Where did I say I'm worried, or shopping in Costa or McDonald's?

I'm talking about the op that you were talking about. Are you dense?

• Advertisement

Here's the thing though. The stats prove that the actions of few won't actually affect the majority. They'll affect people like the OP.

But that said, they are still as entitled to their coffee as anyone else. If their personal assessment is that it's low risk to them then by all means work away.

That doesn't entitle them to criticise others for doing things that they deem low risk to them though.

We cannot continue to try to control the behaviour of a majority of people who are at little risk from CV-19 so the small minority that are can do things that are far riskier to them.

Make your own decisions based on your own level of risk, that of your family and loved ones, and behave accordingly.
    No one is actually preventing anyone locking themselves down if that's what they feel is necessary you know. It may even be the best option for people like the OP, but it's this attempt to micromanage and control everyone else that is causing the bigger issues and frustration all round.

Well stats doesn't say that. But anyway, imo its simple, as long as we have few hundred cases a day, there will be restrictions in place. I can think about restrictions whatever I want, but I'll follow them, cuz it makes sense to stop or control spread, till some vaccines or effective treatments will kick in. Any minority of people who won't follow at least the basic guidelines will contribute to spread imo. Might be my simple thinking, but that's how it's gonna be. Flouters will put more restrictions on majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Broke the distance rule today, and there seemed to a whole pile of other 'locals', in the same place!

bush wrote: »
    I'm talking about the op that you were talking about. Are you dense?

Oops sorry, my misunderstanding. But still, we are at lvl 5 so why he was witnessing those kind of gatherings? He better stay away from those places, cuz some are not able to follow the guidelines?

You're criticising others for what you see as reckless behaviour, yet you're doing much the same yourself given you are in the actual "at risk" category.

You also expect an overwhelming majority of people who are not at any significant risk to put their lives, relationships, jobs, and general wellbeing so that you can continue to do so - effectively laughing at the efforts they are making on your behalf.

That I think is the problem with your posts. You think that a country can be ran on the basis of the needs of the few rather than the many. We've tried that since about May and it hasn't worked, it's just caused massive damage to the economy, employment and people's mental and general health. Why? Because it's not a sustainable approach over the long term as more people are starting to wake up to.

I am not doing anything even close to "much the same", and all I have ever asked is that the restrictions are adhered too. But clearly, you're another that is too much for.

I minimise risk as much as possible, I wear masks, I wear gloves, I sanitise my hands and keep supplies of all three in my car, but unfortunately I have to eat, so I have to get shopping. I do this by click and collect as no deliveries in my area. I get a take away coffee on the way home and I'm out of the house for an hour at max, but apparently I am not supposed to do that, and am being criticised for it.

But the wan dragging her kids into Costa? Pulling her mask of to place her order? Stunning lack of comments on her behaviour. And its not what "I see" as reckless behaviour, it IS reckless behaviour. Maybe not to herself, but to others. But thats the crux of the matter, right?

Yet according to you, I'm doing "much the same". Thats some feat of mental gymnastics, right there. And again, the patronising "maybe you should lock yourself down" line is trotted out.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Broke the distance rule today, and there seemed to a whole pile of other 'locals', in the same place!

Did you shame them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Nope. I spent 13 weeks of the first lockdown alone at home after losing my job, and ended up going on anti depressants in May. So looking after myself while being sensible about my risk of exposure to the virus is my first priority this time around.

I’m extremely lucky to have a job where I can work from home for this lockdown.
    Besides that I have been meeting two friends a few times a week, both also WFH and mostly in outdoor settings, though there have been a few indoor meet ups to watch movies etc. when the weather was too wet to be outside.

We mostly just get takeaway coffees and go for long walks, which in my opinion is pretty much risk free. On a few occasions we have gone over the 5k.

I still really miss the gym, seeing all my other friends and extended family and I’ve pretty much accepted that my chances of meeting someone new in 2020 are slim to none, but what little socialisation I have is keeping me sane. I am finding this lockdown a lot more difficult than the last, and that’s mostly down to the dark evenings and miserable weather.
    I dread to think what a January lockdown will be like, but I’ll continue to meet friends for walks and movie nights if it comes to it.

By the way, I am not the OP of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Hav to say I'm getting totally sick of so ng everything right was watching everyone around me take risks and break rules.

My neighbor has a few families visit them every Sunday.

Also another neighbor who is a primary school teacher had 7 cars visiting her house today.

I've sacrificed so much hardly seen my elderly parents since March yet others can ignore even and just carry on as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    There's no excuse for kids being around Grandparents in their mid 60s under Level 5 restrictions
    My mother would be in this age group, she is in my official bubble as she lives alone.
    Could be the same with others, though obviously not all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭jackboy

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I've sacrificed so much hardly seen my elderly parents since March yet others can ignore even and just carry on as normal.

You have made your choice, they have made theirs. You shouldn’t be stressing about what they are doing. This thing is probably going to last another year easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

jackboy wrote: »
    You have made your choice, they have made theirs. You shouldn’t be stressing about what they are doing. This thing is probably going to last another year easy.

This. We could be in rolling lockdowns for the next few years.

People need to stop getting stressed at the activities of others which probably have negligible effect anyway.
    I couldn't give two fiddlers if my whole estate has an orgy on the green in front of my window (Its a fairly mature estate so I would be unlikely to join in).

Doubt you got his point, or you did and just keep playing stupid word game for the sake of posting something. Getting cheap at this stage.

Oh I got his point, loud and clear. Maybe it went over your head?

The only ones being cheap here are those who are attacking me for doing what I am supposed to do, (adhering to restrictions) while giving a free pass to those who couldn't be bothered because they're bored of them now, and sure they're low risk anyway.

I am NOT engaging in reckless unnecessary behaviour.

The woman in Costa was, and if you can't see the difference between what she did, and what I now have to do to avoid the likes of her, then I have nothing further to say to you, either.

The only ones being cheap here are those who are attacking me for doing what I am supposed to do, (adhering to restrictions) while giving a free pass to those who couldn't be bothered because they're bored of them now, and sure they're low risk anyway.

Just to let you know, I was answering to different poster. In case you've missed it I was kind of backing up your point of view.

Just to let you know, I was answering to different poster. In case you've missed it I was kind of backing up your point of view.
    Apologies, I thought you were having a go, too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Dial it back a bit please, lets keep the discussion civil everyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Hav to say I'm getting totally sick of so ng everything right was watching everyone around me take risks and break rules.

My neighbor has a few families visit them every Sunday.

Also another neighbor who is a primary school teacher had 7 cars visiting her house today.

I would absolutely shame that teacher at least locally by declaring what school they taught at. Shamefully selfish and reckless behaviour.

It's hard to be civil when you're being so obviously attacked.

Maybe have a look at that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

It's hard to be civil when you're being so obviously attacked.

Maybe have a look at that?

Ban lifted after discussion with user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Haven't seen my nanny in 6 months, my grandma in a year, my friends in 5 months. Will continue this for as long as necessary, I'm not a selfish cnut

• Advertisement
Advertisement