Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Covid tough-guy starter kit:

1) Boast about imaginary restriction-busting conquests to anonymous internet strangers
    2) Label the restrictions as "nonsense", repeatedly
    3) Label reasonable people as "curtain twitchers"

Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Blondini wrote: »
    Covid tough-guy starter kit:

1) Boast about imaginary restriction-busting conquests to anonymous internet strangers
    2) Label the restrictions as "nonsense", repeatedly
    3) Label reasonable people as "curtain twitchers"

Strange.

From the guy that brought you the following drivel:
    Same spanners that were "mobbing" St. Anne's park will be the first whinging in the hospitals and blocking up A and E when they want their free healthcare. Heroes.

about people in a park of a Saturday afternoon.

robbiezero wrote: »
    From the guy that brought you the following drivel:

about people in a park of a Saturday afternoon.

Recognise yourself eh?

Lundstram wrote: »
    So you live with someone who is high risk yet you went to Costa and McDonalds? Upon witnessing the utter chaos in said shops you now just use the drive thrus for your seemingly very important takeaway coffee.

The hypocrisy from your posts is quite amusing.

And you are deliberately misrepresenting what I posted.

I went to Costa one time, thinking that other people would not be behaving like idiots, but apparently that was too much to expect. I never went to McDs, I use the drive-thru.

The sad fact is, because of other people behaving as I described, I CANNOT RISK going into Costa and I CANNOT RISK going into a shopping centre.

If people followed the restrictions properly, then maybe I COULD.

But that wouldn't suit your interpretation of what I posted, now would it.

As usual, the irresponsible behaviour of others and the impact it has on those who are high/very high risk, or who have to consider family members in those categories, is being negated by people like you.

Recognise yourself eh?

Yes. I am a Covid hard man because I visit my family etc. So be it.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    Yes. I am a Covid hard man because I visit my family etc. So be it.

That wasn't in my starter kit but hey, each to their own.
    Have a nice evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

That wasn't in my starter kit but hey, each to their own.
    Have a nice evening.

Going Pro level excuse

And you are deliberately misrepresenting what I posted.

I went to Costa one time, thinking that other people would not be behaving like idiots, but apparently that was too much to expect. I never went to McDs, I use the drive-thru.

The sad fact is, because of other people behaving as I described, I CANNOT RISK going into Costa and I CANNOT RISK going into a shopping centre.

If people followed the restrictions properly, then maybe I COULD.

But that wouldn't suit your interpretation of what I posted, now would it.

As usual, the irresponsible behaviour of others and the impact it has on those who are high/very high risk, or who have to consider family members in those categories, is being negated by people like you.

You are high risk and living with someone high risk and yet you are going around doing click and collect at the shopping centre, getting non essentials like Costa and McDs...

And you give out about irresponsible behaviour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Adhering as best as I can. Have a bubble with the gf who lives alone (I also live alone) and we tend to stay in hers or mine at the weekend. Additionally a colleague who also lives alone comes over to work on projects and do calls one day a week and we might have dinner and watch some football in the evening. Said colleague doesn't have any family/friends here apart from myself so I think it is OK and perfectly reasonable.

Thats the height of my social contact. All within the 5km.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Adhering as best as I can. Have a bubble with the gf who lives alone (I also live alone) and we tend to stay in hers or mine at the weekend. Additionally a colleague who also lives alone comes over to work on projects and do calls one day a week and we might have dinner and watch some football in the evening. Said colleague doesn't have any family/friends here apart from myself so I think it is OK and perfectly reasonable.

Thats the height of my social contact. All within the 5km.

So thats a no?

• Advertisement

You are high risk and living with someone high risk and yet you are going around doing click and collect at the shopping centre, getting non essentials like Costa and McDs...

And you give out about irresponsible behaviour....

And you're just trolling me now and still deliberately misrepresenting what I posted, because you know I'm right.

Another for the ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

And you're just trolling me now and still deliberately misrepresenting what I posted, because you know I'm right.

If I am being really honest with you OP and this isn’t trolling those people who I know who would be considered really at risk are barely leaving the house and if they do go to the supermarket or shop. Everything they get is sanitised when they get home. One thing they aren’t doing for certain is buying a cup of coffee and drinking it out of a cup that anybody could have touched because they fear droplets might be on the cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Yet again, fair enough if that's your experience. I have siblings and children working as Doctors and nurses in hospitals where they are struggling with the stress of ICU patients, covid patients, staff shortages due to covid and self isolating, and having to prioritise patients based on needs versus reducing ability to manage resources. They say it's worse than any flu season crisis they have had in the past. They say ER is quieter, as are some surgical wards, but they are generally under extreme pressure to keep their heads above water.

ICU is a very specific area, but as you say, the rest of the hospital is quieter. In some areas much quieter than it should be.

If I am being really honest with you OP and this isn’t trolling those people who I know who would be considered really at risk are barely leaving the house and if they do go to the supermarket or shop. Everything they get is sanitised when they get home. One thing they aren’t doing for certain is buying a cup of coffee and drinking it out of a cup that anybody could have touched because they fear droplets might be on the cup.

I barely leave the house. I go out one day a week for essentials, which I buy via click and collect, and yes, I get a takeaway coffee from McDonalds Drive-Thru when I do. In case you aren't aware, all McDs workers are behind plexi glass, and are gloved and masked - even at the drive-thru windows.

But excuse me - I totally forgot that anyone who is in an at risk category is supposed to lock ourselves away out of sight and out of mind fo for fear that the restrictions we need to try and stay uninfected might inconvenience anyone else.

It just says it all and shows everything that is wrong with the attitude of people in this country when people who are high risk and trying to be careful are being trolled and criticised for following restrictions, instead of those who are ignoring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

I am following it and so is my family, but it's a long lockdown and once the originally announced period expires I will not continue to lock down if it is extended.

I barely leave the house. I go out one day a week for essentials, which I buy via click and collect, and yes, I get a takeaway coffee from McDonalds Drive-Thru when I do.

In case you aren't aware, all McDs workers are behind plexi glass, and are gloved and masked - even at the drive-thru windows.

But excuse me - I totallyforgot that anyone who is in an at risk category is supposed to lock ourselves away out of sight and out of mind fo for fear that the restrictions we need to try and stay uninfected might inconvenience anyone else.

It just says it all and shows everything that is wrong with the attitude of people in this country when people who are high risk and trying to be careful are being trolled and criticised for following the restrictions, instead of those who are ignoring them.

Well OP I am aware of everything you said.
    I have visited have various take aways since they reopened also and whilst all the staff were behind screens. I saw them walking around kitchens, touching masks, money and then filling drinking and making tea/coffee. I even left one place because they were so sloppy.
    I just stated what I knew people and they wouldn’t feel say having take away coffees.
    I also never said you should keep yourself out of sight or locked aways.
    My point is fairly valid and it’s up to the mods to decide what trolling is.
    Feel free to add me to your ignore list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That's how echo chambers are created.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We are adhering to all of the rules , outside of work .But we are both teachers and are mixing with 30 households a day .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Zirconia wrote: »
    I am following it and so is my family, but it's a long lockdown and once the originally announced period expires I will not continue to lock down if it is extended.

Why not?

Feel free to add me to your ignore list.

Done.

And for what its worth, you and the other poster both took the opportunity to nit pick my posts and get some below the belt digs in because I said I went to McDs drive thru for a take away coffee, selectively ingnoring the whole reason why I opted to go to McDs drive thru in the first place - because of other people being irresponsible.

But no, you both ignored that part of what I posted, and chose to criticise ME instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

My Mum is in one of those Hospitals at the moment and says it's deserted. I'm not allowed in so just have to take her word for it. Hopefully picking her up tomorrow when the doctors come back from the weekend off and give her the all clear.

I know two people who have had elective surgery cancelled in the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

That's how echo chambers are created.

Exactly, there's posters I don't agree with but I wouldn't put them on ignore, scroll past and don't engage but blanking them completely isn't a good idea in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I barely leave the house. I go out one day a week for essentials, which I buy via click and collect, and yes, I get a takeaway coffee from McDonalds Drive-Thru when I do. In case you aren't aware, all McDs workers are behind plexi glass, and are gloved and masked - even at the drive-thru windows.

But excuse me - I totally forgot that anyone who is in an at risk category is supposed to lock ourselves away out of sight and out of mind fo for fear that the restrictions we need to try and stay uninfected might inconvenience anyone else.

It just says it all and shows everything that is wrong with the attitude of people in this country when people who are high risk and trying to be careful are being trolled and criticised for following restrictions, instead of those who are ignoring them.

It's really sad, there is such ageism in this country, people just want the elderly locked away because they can't deal with not being able to go drinking with the lads. It's affecting their mental health too much, apparently. It also seems their attitude towards anyone medically vulnerable is "well stay at home if you don't want to be sick". Have we always been such selfish people? Probably :( we're such whingers, it isn't even a proper lockdown, we can still go out and buy food, stuff for DIY, get shopping online, read books, watch Netflix, light the fire, have a walk in nature, take the kids out to ride their bikes etc. All these wonderful simple things we can do and all we hear is people shíteing on about how their mental health is affected because they can't buy fluffy pyjamas or new knickers in Penney's :D

prunudo wrote: »
    Exactly, there's posters I don't agree with but I wouldn't put them on ignore, scroll past and don't engage but blanking them completely isn't a good idea in the long run.

Absolutely. I love my daily Mitty intake.

Done.

And for what its worth, you and the other poster both took the opportunity to nit pick my posts and get some below the belt digs in because I said I went to McDs drive thru for a take away coffee, selectively ingnoring the whole reason why I opted to go to McDs drive thru in the first place - because of other people being irresponsible.

But no, you both ignored that part of what I posted, and chose to criticise ME instead.

Yes we know why you went to McDonald’s and not Costa but my point is still valid about getting a take away coffee and you can ignore it if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

Absolutely. I love my daily Mitty intake.

Mitty? Don't know that poster, maybe i do have an ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Yes we know why you went to McDonald’s and not Costa but my point is still valid about getting a take away coffee and you can ignore it if you want.

Doubt you got his point, or you did and just keep playing stupid word game for the sake of posting something. Getting cheap at this stage.

Your point was basically that people who are at high risk should not use takeaways.

Even when they're about as non-contact as you can get like a McDs drive thru where everyone is behind screens, masked and gloved and payment is contactless.

Which backs up my point that there is an expectation that at risk people are should disappear completely behind locked doors and not make themselves inconvenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Antares35 wrote: »
    It's really sad, there is such ageism in this country, people just want the elderly locked away because they can't deal with not being able to go drinking with the lads. It's affecting their mental health too much, apparently. It also seems their attitude towards anyone medically vulnerable is "well stay at home if you don't want to be sick". Have we always been such selfish people? Probably :( we're such whingers, it isn't even a proper lockdown, we can still go out and buy food, stuff for DIY, get shopping online, read books, watch Netflix, light the fire, have a walk in nature, take the kids out to ride their bikes etc. All these wonderful simple things we can do and all we hear is people shíteing on about how their mental health is affected because they can't buy fluffy pyjamas or new knickers in Penney's :D

I haven't heard anyone calling for that. People just want to get on with their lives, you do only get one after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

I’m not adhering but only visit one other household. I was more obedient in the Spring.

Advertisement