Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheCandidate_

I say they've had maybe 2100 for the ac (excluding 1710) so hopefully will take around half (1000) going by the previous campaign?

Suppose anything could happen really

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Aimforstars

If you're not able to make PCA familiarisation day, does anyone have tips for completing the course? The only thing I think I'm really fretting about is the wall. Where could I practice?

Someone would make decent money if they started training courses based on the set up :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Unknowndude

If you're not able to make PCA familiarisation day, does anyone have tips for completing the course? The only thing I think I'm really fretting about is the wall. Where could I practice?

Someone would make decent money if they started training courses based on the set up :p
    Have you watched the pca video on the website? You can roughly gauge the height of that next to the people in the demonstration and replicate it the best you can at home near a wall or something suitable and stable near by lol leg strength and some arm strength will get you up the wall no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JJss1988

The wait is torture but May 10th is getting very close!!!Tomorrow some more lucky people may get fast tracked and congratulations to them if it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭YNWA27

Balance beam apparently is the killer. Practice balancing whilst sucking air from Bangor lol. Same with the wall

No point practicing fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Toots123

Its good to feel the buzz again on the thread. I also didnt get the report finished. I actually completed the beginning and end then halfway through the middle section i ran out of time. The first written work was a disaster the 2nd was okay. I also keep going over in my head hey i did ok then i remember something and torture myself!!lol
    Oh god i want to sleep through the next 2 weeks and wake up on the 10th!!lol
    Feel like a kid waiting on Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Throwaway36

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say they finished the report on here! I too didn’t finish it. Got about half way.

At my AC as soon as the report exercise started, I wondered why the guy behind me started typing immediately. I wonder how he done

I also never got the report finished, though from reading past replies I see a couple were fast tracked and they too didn't feel pleased with their report.

I just hope I remembered to hit the save button

I finished the report...

Must be quick typer lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Greyhound79

I also never got the report finished, though from reading past replies I see a couple were fast tracked and they too didn't feel pleased with their report.

I just hope I remembered to hit the save button

You did TheCandidate. :)

Best of luck to you all and here’s hoping some of us get FT tomorrow. Dunno if the family will be able to cope with me for another two weeks!

Good luck guys for tomorrow.

I failed the 1509 AC but got an A* in that report lol.

I write reports in my current job so i'm just good at holding tidbits of info in my head. And yes I type fast.

Basically i just made a quick estimate of what the craic was, made a quick plan then just started pumping out words.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭W221

I didn’t manage to finish the reports in 1509 and still got an overall B. I did finish them this time yet I feel less confident somehow! Not long to wait anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MD4PSNI

Hi guys.. hope everyones doing well!

Ive purposley been avoiding the fourm over the last few months (and im glad i have). I didnt even know about FT emails. That would of been nerve wrecking lol

Hard to know if any will be sent out today but knowing PSNI we could get a nice wee surprise. They may want to phase more through. Fingers crossed!

Following an ankle injury at work... im hoping for a bit of a gap between results and PCA! Im only getting going again after 6 weeks of reduced mobility.

Good luck today and hope some of us get good news ☺️

Good luck guys hoping for a nice wee email!

All quiet so far guys?

W221 wrote: »
    All quiet so far guys?

Lol it is from my side anyways

Yip. Me too! All quiet here.
    Wondering now that because we are so close to official results day, that they may just leave f-tracking at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JJss1988

Yip. Me too! All quiet here.
    Wondering now that because we are so close to official results day, that they may just leave f-tracking at this stage?

It’s very possible that is the case. Has anyone received a mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wonkyempresso

Never know what time it could done at. First ones were later than the 2nd ones. That's if there is any

I guess it’s possible there’ll not be any more FT emails, but I shall remain hopeful lol

Heart palpitations every time an email comes through lol

Hahaha!! Steady up there TheCandidate, if that's how you're feeling now with email alerts, how you going to manage the PCA??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Throwaway36

FT1 emails arrived around noon so there is hope yet for you guys!

• Advertisement

Hahaha!! Steady up there TheCandidate, if that's how you're feeling now with email alerts, how you going to manage the PCA??

A lot of caffeine and flat to the mat lol

A lot of caffeine and flat to the mat lol

If I get that far I’ll be flat ON the mat! Lol

If I get that far I’ll be flat ON the mat! Lol

Lol I know it depends on your current fitness level but would a lot of people be worried about the PCA? Has anyone done it in here and give a rough guide on how hard it was lol?

Lol I know it depends on your current fitness level but would a lot of people be worried about the PCA? Has anyone done it in here and give a rough guide on how hard it was lol?

Yeah although I've watched the video of the course and it looks manageable, I'm just worried about my fitness level to complete it in the allocated time. I had all good intentions to start preparing for the PCA after the AC, but time and work were a factor. PM'd a few people on here about the PCA. Some said it was easy enough as they were used to it either because of their jobs or their fitness level. Then there were others who failed it by going over the allocated time.

Make no mistake that video is cropped and the woman doing it is an athlete.

I have a few friends in and they say it'a horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Troaway

Wouldn't worry overly much about it. Do some crossfit or circuits in preparation.

YNWA27 wrote: »

Lovely!!

My best mate said it was easy enough, his exact words were “if you can get out of bed and dress yourself, you’ll pass the PCA” lol

Troaway wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry overly much about it. Do some crossfit or circuits in preparation.

Alright big lad, you crack on

The fall rate would suggest otherwise W221...

My best mate said it was easy enough, his exact words were “if you can get out of bed and dress yourself, you’ll pass the PCA” lol

Hahaha

What is the fail rate at the PCA do you know?

Following FoIs for the first batches progressed in 1710.

Allrox 320 progressed to PCA stage. Approx 45 removed themselves from the process.

144 failed first attempt

30 failed 2nd attempt and were disqualed

Cause of the variation let's assume that there was 275 brought forward as the 45 who removed themselves could have been waiting progression to PCA. Saying 275 as 30 failed 2md attwmpt and 245 offered employment at the time the FoI was issued. (Aug 2018)

144 of 275 is 52.36%. Which seems really high.

So i'd be conservative and say 40% fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 giny01

The pass rate isn't high.. A lot of people fail the first time around. Its not designed to be easy!

My advice would be to start fitness sooner than later, if you haven't already!

Also recommend going to the familiarisation sessions before, very useful even for those who think it will not be a problem to them!

Its supposed to be maximum effort the whole way so that will give you an idea.

Even those that were well prepped and put the effort in came out gasping for air so that will may give you an idea as to how difficult it actually is! It's not just running flat out round that course, you also have to be quite careful and there are certain places your feet must/must not touch, otherwise they make you do it again with the timer still going, that's where people fail.. Mistakes cost time, which you don't have a lot of

I’m under no illusion it’s easy. Let’s just keep a positive vibe going, eh?

• Advertisement

I’m under no illusion it’s easy. Let’s just keep a positive vibe going, eh?

You just said your mate found it easy lol.

This board is for support. And being disingenuous to other people not fully in the know is doing them a disservice.

It's dog eat dog yes but let's be honest with each other aye?

It's 13.37 and no email here. I'm hitting that mars bar in my drawer now!!

Bbq chicken wings for me lol

Man up and hit the hot wings lol

You just said your mate found it easy lol.

This board is for support. And being disingenuous to other people not fully in the know is doing them a disservice.

It's dog eat dog yes but let's be honest with each other aye?

Yes, I did and that’s what he said. It was a joke from him to me at the time but it’s hard to put things in to the correct context on here. I didn’t mean the post to come across in any other way than good humour.

Man up and hit the hot wings lol

Franks hot sauce for the win!

I just hoovered a pack of fig rolls lol

My job is very physical so I’ll be ok (I think)

No emails here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wonkyempresso

Only positive about the FT system when you don't get an email is it breaks up the long wait till you eventually hear lol. Gave me a new date every 2 weeks to focus on and now this time two weeks we will know the results for definate hopefully lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Orbital1

The PCA is a maximum effort assessments. The idea is to test you against the various physical aspects that you will encounter whist serving as a police Constable. The video on the website is a great guide for giving you an insight into what you will need to do. It may look easy and may also sound easy but I can assure you it is not, anyone who tells you otherwise is either being big headed or is genuinely deluded... Possibly from lack of oxygen lol. You will be required to complete 3 laps of a course within 3 minutes 54 seconds, the clock starts at the beginning of lap one and ends at the end of lap 3. It will not be stopped. If you make an error you will have to redo that section then and there before finishing your lap.

Do not underestimate it, start your training now. I advise HIIT training and running.

Advertisement