Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Would ye agree with me that Adrian Faherty was the last very good Galway keeper? Needs to also be remembered he was on the worst panel in decades at the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Would ye agree with me that Adrian Faherty was the last very good Galway keeper? Needs to also be remembered he was on the worst panel in decades at the time too.

Faherty was excellent. Much like Donoghue before him. It's a pity both went to England and stalled progress. Both from Claregalway. Maybe young Flaherty is destined to be next Claregalway man to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

That was Alan Mulholland like awful defending by a Galway managed side. Someone else said here it was probably worse than the tripe under Kevin Walsh? at least under Walsh Galway was well organised in defence, hard to beat and even harder to score against as the 0-12,1-11,1-9,1-11,0-12,1-9,0-12 conceded in 7 of the 9 games that he managed against Mayo proved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

That was Alan Mulholland like awful defending by a Galway managed side. Someone else said here it was probably worse than the tripe under Kevin Walsh? at least under Walsh Galway was well organised in defence, hard to beat and even harder to score against as the 0-12,1-11,1-9,1-11,0-12,1-9,0-12 conceded in 7 of the 9 games that he managed against Mayo proved.

From a Mayo perspective I said early on that it had the air of an early season challenge game. Neither defense really put a glove on anyone. Neither side really covered runners,. Mayo had more to play for and when they got the run on ye they made hay for 20mins or so. SA and CG had woeful days at the office and quite how SA didn't get a card is beyond me. Mayo adapted better to having what would be considered first team regulars missing but Galway as a whole didn't bother turning up. RF aside they didn't seem tuned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

It's one bad day at the office. If there's anything in them, there should be a backlash next day out. Don't forget, there's a heck of a lot of players to come back into that team. I for one don't want to go back to the KW days of puke football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

We don't need to go back to them days. Yes we kept the score down but couldn't score for nuts on the other end. The defense was doing very well during the league as our scoring difference would show. Amazingly we still have a positive score difference even after a humiliation like yesterday.

The main problem is the 2nd string lads just aren't up to it. Put a good footballer like Kelly at FB yesterday and a lot of damage would be avoided, it would protect a dodgy keeper too. I was surprised how poor he was on that 3rd goal. That should be his forte as kickouts are obviously not but he fell down on both fronts.

Four of the back six that started were very weak and once Mayo got a run on them it went from bad to worse. SA was doing the same headless stuff he did against Tyrone in KW's final league game.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The backs got very little help from the forwards which really allowed Mayo to open them up. Looking at the highlights (could you call them highlights if you're from Galway?) last night I was struck by how often a Mayo defender was able to carry the ball into the Galway half with little or no resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Galway V Dublin under 20's all ireland final has been pulled due to level 5 restrictions.

Very harsh on all involved

fearruanua wrote: »
    Galway V Dublin under 20's all ireland final has been pulled due to level 5 restrictions.

Very harsh on all involved

Harsh, but maybe Galway will be in a position to field a full-strength team if it does get played before year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

MfMan wrote: »
    Harsh, but maybe Galway will be in a position to field a full-strength team if it does get played before year end.

I hope you're right. it's a big "if"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

With U20 All Ireland now pulled it shows how daft it was to play last Saturdays semi-final when Galway and kerry were missing a number of players due to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

With U20 All Ireland now pulled it shows how daft it was to play last Saturdays semi-final when Galway and kerry were missing a number of players due to covid.

Sure it wasn’t daft at all............didn’t we bate them welll....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Heard that Galway would still have been missing a good few players had the game gone ahead on Saturday. Hopefully they can rearrange the final for some time in December and have everyone available. The fear obviously is that it's now never played.

Heard that Galway would still have been missing a good few players had the game gone ahead on Saturday. Hopefully they can rearrange the final for some time in December and have everyone available. The fear obviously is that it's now never played.

Could we claim the title based on scoring difference over the 2 semi-finals - force majeure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I think that once it has gotten this far they will have to play it as some point, be shocked if they didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway team to play Dublin

1. B Power
    2. S Kelly
    3. S Ó Maolchiaráin
    4. J Foley
    5. L Silke
    6. G O’Donnell
    7. J Heaney (c)
    8. C D’Arcy
    9. T Flynn
    10. P Kelly
    11. P Conroy
    12. J Leonard
    13. R Finnerty
    14. A Varley
    15. I Burke

1. B Power 2. S Kelly 3. S Ó Maolchiaráin 4. J Foley 5. L Silke 6. G O’Donnell 7. J Heaney (c) 8. C D’Arcy 9. T Flynn 10. P Kelly 11. P Conroy 12. J Leonard 13. R Finnerty 14. A Varley 15. I Burke

Closer to where we need to be. Foley had a great year. Hopefully can continue. Paul Kelly a bit random despite his obvious talent. Leonard and Burke lucky to hold their spots. Would liked to of seen Dessie get a chance. Even with the changes without Shane and Damo this will be a struggle.

Closer to where we need to be. Foley had a great year. Hopefully can continue. Paul Kelly a bit random despite his obvious talent. Leonard and Burke lucky to hold their spots. Would liked to of seen Dessie get a chance. Even with the changes without Shane and Damo this will be a struggle.

Completely new from 1 - 4. Silke a bit lucky to hold on too, can't be living on his name / club form for much longer. I'd give Burke (just about) and Leonard (because he's new and deserves another go) a pass for this one. Being dropped might waken up Ml Daly, I'd say mgmt are starting to seriously look at what he *can't / won't * do. Is Eoin Finnerty on the panel? If Mayo can pick guys based on club form, we should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Galway team to play Dublin

1. B Power
    2. S Kelly
    3. S Ó Maolchiaráin
    4. J Foley
    5. L Silke
    6. G O’Donnell
    7. J Heaney (c)
    8. C D’Arcy
    9. T Flynn
    10. P Kelly
    11. P Conroy
    12. J Leonard
    13. R Finnerty
    14. A Varley
    15. I Burke

Complete dead rubber now apart from getting some more game time under the belts.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Complete dead rubber now apart from getting some more game time under the belts.

Even though winning the league was going to be somewhat farcical based on the conditions changing01, it's even more farcical that they were saying Kerry won their 21st title when Donegal rested players for a championship game in the decider.

Who's idea was it to put teams out the following weekend and illegitise the tournament further. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Galway/Dublin pointless match now, no bearing on title or relegation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

Galway/Dublin pointless match now, no bearing on title or relegation

Galway badly need a reaction after last week so certainly not pointless for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Preparing to tear my hair out for Bernie's kickouts against the wind in the second half but reasonably happy with that.

Conroy and Paul Kelly impressive. But you'd worry about Small and Kilkenny causin murder in the second half.

Hope Conneely gets a lot if time off the bench. Himself and Varley could play hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭testtech05

Conroy got some excellent scored there. I'd fear we could be in bother against the wind but it's a step up from last weekend at least. Not that it would be too hard I suppose.

Anyone see what happened to flynn. Hopefully not a serious injury

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Exhibition stuff in first half from Conroy. Hard to believe same lad broke both legs two years ago at 29

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Hard to see them holding on to get something out of it but at least it's a lot better than last week.

Hard to get a free.

That's what happens when you dont work on kickouts.

Dont be blaming the goalie. The manager should be implementing it and it's the players responsibility to open and enter the space.

Even the one before that, we won the ball but couldn't settle on the ball and lost a free in, it wouldn't have happened had a player got an easy ball in space.

It does my head in, it's the one aspect of the game you control, the team who won 5 in a row do it, yet two successive managers can't see how important it is.

That's what happens when you dont work on kickout.

Not working on the kickouts caused Paul Kelly to drop the ball and Dublin to break and score a goal? We've retained more kickouts than Dublin thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That's what happens when you dont work on kickouts.

Dont be blaming the goalie. The manager should be implementing it and it's the players responsibility to open and enter the space.

Even the one before that, we won the ball but couldn't settle on the ball and lost a free in, it wouldn't have happened had a player got an easy ball in space.

It does my head in, it's the one aspect of the game you control, the team who won 5 in a row do it, yet two successive managers can't see how important it is.

Nothing to do with not working on kickouts.
    Poor decision making and even poorer execution. The team who won five in a row don't get it right all the time either.
    This nonsense about kickouts does my head in.

Advertisement