Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ruining a wedding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Not quite on the level of the wedding ****ter but the same type of entitled @fsehole.
    I'm sure some of his own puke found its way into his own full Irish!
    (or something else)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

gifted wrote: »
    What a backwards thinking fool. Ignorant people like that should be taken aside and educated.
    Yes they should be forced to have the same opinion as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

My cousin had the worst wedding I have ever been had the misfortune of attending.

My parents got a full invite and myself and sibling were invited to the afters. However, I got a text from my mother as I was arriving in the carpark that the speeches were still ongoing and to wait in the bar. Which we did. For over an hour. With a load of other disgruntled guests that we didn't know.

The best man spoke for one hour, 45 minutes and just told unfunny personal jokes of him and the groom, that nobody laughed at except the groom. Never thanked anyone, or said anything positive about the bride. Eventually he shut the **** up and the afters could start. At that stage, everyone was in very bad form.

So you can imagine, people's reaction when a céílí started up of which no one had any prior knowledge. Everyone except the groom's family sat around, completely bored for the night. Obviously my cousin was trying to impress his family. Eventually, the céílí ended and a DJ played, for about eight songs.

To add insult to injury, loads of family members travelled from Donegal to attend and there was no mention of a Day Two or anything. They arrived over to my cousin's parents' house the next day to see the happy couple after barely spending any time with her and travelling so far..... to find a barbecue in full swing for the groom's extended family who travelled from Clare. Such poor form and really made a lot of the family dislike the couple. Before the wedding, I though she was a bit notion-y and he was grand. Now I think they're total gobsh1tes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

aoife1991 wrote: »
    My cousin had the worst wedding I have ever been had the misfortune of attending.

My parents got a full invite and myself and sibling were invited to the afters. However, I got a text from my mother as I was arriving in the carpark that the speeches were still ongoing and to wait in the bar. Which we did. For over an hour. With a load of other disgruntled guests that we didn't know.

The best man spoke for one hour, 45 minutes and just told unfunny personal jokes of him and the groom, that nobody laughed at except the groom. Never thanked anyone, or said anything positive about the bride. Eventually he shut the **** up and the afters could start. At that stage, everyone was in very bad form.

So you can imagine, people's reaction when a céílí started up of which no one had any prior knowledge. Everyone except the groom's family sat around, completely bored for the night. Obviously my cousin was trying to impress his family. Eventually, the céílí ended and a DJ played, for about eight songs.

To add insult to injury, loads of family members travelled from Donegal to attend and there was no mention of a Day Two or anything. They arrived over to my cousin's parents' house the next day to see the happy couple after barely spending any time with her and travelling so far..... to find a barbecue in full swing for the groom's extended family who travelled from Clare. Such poor form and really made a lot of the family dislike the couple. Before the wedding, I though she was a bit notion-y and he was grand. Now I think they're total gobsh1tes.

Your cousin was the bride? And her parents hosted his side of the family but not yours the next day? Lousy enough alright! (although we don't know how far Donegal is from this unmentioned location :pac: )

Sorry, but I just don't believe the best man spoke for 1hr45 minutes - it might have felt like that to some I'm sure! But there's no way one speech went on that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Your cousin was the bride? And her parents hosted his side of the family but not yours the next day? Lousy enough alright! (although we don't know how far Donegal is from this unmentioned location :pac: )

Sorry, but I just don't believe the best man spoke for 1hr45 minutes - it might have felt like that to some I'm sure! But there's no way one speech went on that long.

Wedding was in Cork! So it is really, really bad form.

It was honest to god an hour and 45 minutes. This was nearly ten years ago so my memory is hazy, my cousin won the table bet at an hour 10 minutes for the speech and even then, he droned on longer. A$$hole didn't know how to read the room. My parents were right by the bar so they put up with it but lots of other guests were trapped there. My uncle said people were blatantly getting up to go to the bathroom and get drinks towards the end and someone motioned at my grandaunt to wrap it up. A total sh1tshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

So the best man spoke for 1hr45 on his own after presumably at least 3 other speeches by the groom and two fathers?

I assume it was 1hr45 for all speeches in total, rather than just the best man's one. Still, 1hr45 is brutal. They should be capped at half an hour all in. 10mins being the absolute max for any one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

aoife1991 wrote: »
    Wedding was in Cork! So it is really, really bad form.

It was honest to god an hour and 45 minutes. This was nearly ten years ago so my memory is hazy, my cousin won the table bet at an hour 10 minutes for the speech and even then, he droned on longer. A$$hole didn't know how to read the room. My parents were right by the bar so they put up with it but lots of other guests were trapped there. My uncle said people were blatantly getting up to go to the bathroom and get drinks towards the end and someone motioned at my grandaunt to wrap it up. A total sh1tshow.

Why the feck would anyone give a speech that long at a wedding, drunk or sober? What was he blathering on about? Its not the summing up at the Nuremberg trials. Its stuff like this that makes me dread wedding invites.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

People trying to make an impression at weddings usually succeed in making the total opposite impression and are definitely remembered for it. This typifies it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I wasn't there but heard of a wedding where groom's speech went on and on, mostly promoting where he worked.
    They had steak as the main course and the hotel staff started getting on edge because the pre meal speech wasn't wrapping up and the steaks were ready.
    Seemingly, the waiting staff had to go around and help people to cut up their meat.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Why the feck would anyone give a speech that long at a wedding, drunk or sober? What was he blathering on about? Its not the summing up at the Nuremberg trials. Its stuff like this that makes me dread wedding invites.

There would have to have been a top table of tools for that to have happened. Did nobody else at the top table think of going up to the Best Man, put their hand around him, make some small talk while removing the mike from him. Ridiculous nobody would not have the common sense to stop it. The groom. The father of the bride. The bride. Nobody read the room? It's hard to believe unless they were all idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There would have to have been a top table of tools for that to have happened. Did nobody else at the top table think of going up to the Best Man, put their hand around him, make some small talk while removing the mike from him. Ridiculous nobody would not have the common sense to stop it. The groom. The father of the bride. The bride. Nobody read the room? It's hard to believe unless they were all idiots.

Not that easy done without risking a scene?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Not that easy done without risking a scene?

After 30 minutes max a huge scene was ongoing. After an hour everyone with an ounce of sense realised that the talking point ever after for this wedding would be the best man's speech, barring the bride losing a game and running around naked.

After an hour and a half the hotel management probably should have intervened. If it went on longer than that someone should have pulled the fire alarm (only slightly joking the last bit).

After 30 minutes max a huge scene was ongoing. After an hour everyone with an ounce of sense realised that the talking point ever after for this wedding would be the best man's speech, barring the bride losing a game and running around naked.

After an hour and a half the hotel management probably should have intervened. If it went on longer than that someone should have pulled the fire alarm (only slightly joking the last bit).

I am guessing that he is a certain type that won't take any advice/instruction. Also a few drinks in he might be even more difficult, close?

saabsaab wrote: »
    I am guessing that he is a certain type that won't take any advice/instruction. Also a few drinks in he might be even more difficult, close?

That's why the hand around the shoulder by the groom to distract would work. Of course he may have been off his head too.

Unless it was my own immediate family I know where I'd have been after a feature length movie of waffle had ended - it wouldn't have been at the dinner table.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

VmJ95oZ.jpg

• Advertisement

VmJ95oZ.jpg

Freakasaurus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I find that a bit obnoxious. It's attention seeking at its finest. Nobody would be paying attention to the bride and groom that day, only to the T-Rex.

Raquel Welch in her heyday had a habit of showing up to weddings wearing very little. She would shout out 'Isn't the bride just GORGEOUS' several times during the day, making sure the cameras were on her, not on the bride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭facehugger99

KevRossi wrote: »
    I find that a bit obnoxious. It's attention seeking at its finest. Nobody would be paying attention to the bride and groom that day, only to the T-Rex.

Raquel Welch in her heyday had a habit of showing up to weddings wearing very little. She would shout out 'Isn't the bride just GORGEOUS' several times during the day, making sure the cameras were on her, not on the bride.

A bride can't invite Raquel Welsh in her heyday to a wedding and then complain she's not the center of attention.

Raquel-Welch-Hottest-Sexiest-Photo-Collection-4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,262 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hah, maybe it was someone who looked like Raquel Welch in her heyday, and didn't want to outshine the bride...

I was kinda hoping the couple who got married were Paleontologists and in on the joke but probably not :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Hah, maybe it was someone who looked like Raquel Welch in her heyday, and didn't want to outshine the bride...

I was kinda hoping the couple who got married were Paleontologists and in on the joke but probably not :(

The bride was totally ok with it according to this article, the maid of honor was her sister and gave her (bride) multiple opportunities to change her mind but she was fine with it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The wedding should have been brought forward or put back a couple of weeks so as to not clash with the game.

Used to work with a guy whose bride to be made him stop playing 5-a-side for a month before the wedding in case anything happened. Two days before the wedding he slipped on some ice while walking to the shop and dislocated his shoulder! Had to wear a sling for the wedding but was able to take it of for a few minutes for the photos.

Injuries happen, but rarely enough ffs.

The girlfriend of one guy who used to play with us would make him stop playing for two weeks before a holiday! Haven't seen the ****er since he got married....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

There is a place in hell for bridal parties where speeches last more than 30-40 minutes. After that, I'm making no apologies for going out to the bar, toilet, whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,840 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Do people really pay that much attention to them anyway.
    No matter how the bride looks. She's always told she looks great and everything is lovely and perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Used to work with a guy whose bride to be made him stop playing 5-a-side for a month before the wedding in case anything happened. Two days before the wedding he slipped on some ice while walking to the shop and dislocated his shoulder! Had to wear a sling for the wedding but was able to take it of for a few minutes for the photos.

The girlfriend of one guy who used to play with us would make him stop playing for two weeks before a holiday! Haven't seen the ****er since he got married....

Yeah well, you can't play football without balls. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

VmJ95oZ.jpg
    odyssey06 wrote: »

Ah jaysus folks what do you expect?
    It looks like they are getting married under a swing in a backyard, the best man and maybe even the groom are wearing as they term sneakers.

So really were you expecting haute couture.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah jaysus folks what do you expect?
    It looks like they are getting married under a swing in a backyard, the best man and maybe even the groom are wearing as they term sneakers.

So really were you expecting haute couture.

The functionary isn't even wearing a tie. T Rex outfit seems about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Do the Yanks take getting married that seriously really?

Do more than half of all marriages end in divorce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Do the Yanks take getting married that seriously really?

Do more than half of all marriages end in divorce?

Their weddings are ****e too. Most of them wrap up at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 feckwunker

Was at a friends wedding a few years ago and the father of the bride delivered a 40+ min speech which wasn't too bad all things considered. At the end of the speech, he turned around to get some gifts (it was artwork IIRC) which he had commissioned for the new couple and in doing so, he knocked over the entire three tiered wedding cake on to the ground. Everyone was deathly silent, bar myself and two friends who were at the table right beside where it landed and burst out laughing. Luckily, it was one of those marzipan icing cakes so it held together pretty well so not too much damage was done.

At my own wedding, we had an open bar for about 6 hours (madness in hindsight!). This lead to lots of people getting pretty plastered pretty well on but one lad was considerably worse than others though he had previous form. He ended up heckling through most speeches which was slightly annoying but ok, spilling drink all over the table/people he was sitting with, taking his pants off on the dancefloor and nearly knocking my mother-in-law out the first floor window by trying to do a handstand (with no pants on, obviously). He was taken to bed eventually. We couldn't understand why he'd been so much worse than others but all was revealed when we got the pics back from the photographer. There was a picture taken of him of him, proud as punch, holding a pill (ecstasy) up to the photographer which we discovered when going through the extended wedding album. He apologised the next morning which was grand, I wasn't too bother tbh, but fate had a the last laugh as 9 months after our wedding day, he and his girlfriend were gifted another mouth to feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

feckwunker wrote: »
    Was at a friends wedding a few years ago and the father of the bride delivered a 40+ min speech which wasn't too bad all things considered. At the end of the speech, he turned around to get some gifts (it was artwork IIRC) which he had commissioned for the new couple and in doing so, he knocked over the entire three tiered wedding cake on to the ground. Everyone was deathly silent, bar myself and two friends who were at the table right beside where it landed and burst out laughing. Luckily, it was one of those marzipan icing cakes so it held together pretty well so not too much damage was done.

At my own wedding, we had an open bar for about 6 hours (madness in hindsight!). This lead to lots of people getting pretty plastered pretty well on but one lad was considerably worse than others though he had previous form. He ended up heckling through most speeches which was slightly annoying but ok, spilling drink all over the table/people he was sitting with, taking his pants off on the dancefloor and nearly knocking my mother-in-law out the first floor window by trying to do a handstand (with no pants on, obviously). He was taken to bed eventually. We couldn't understand why he'd been so much worse than others but all was revealed when we got the pics back from the photographer. There was a picture taken of him of him, proud as punch, holding a pill (ecstasy) up to the photographer which we discovered when going through the extended wedding album. He apologised the next morning which was grand, I wasn't too bother tbh, but fate had a the last laugh as 9 months after our wedding day, he and his girlfriend were gifted another mouth to feed.

jaysis he hardly managed to do the deed the night of your wedding!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

spakman wrote:

Maybe someone took pity on the girlfriend and done it for him......

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

Kevwoody wrote: »

Fair play to him if he was able to do anything on E's if I can remember correctly what I used to be like on them. Many years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭cml387

Not ruined as such but...

Years ago a colleague was getting married and wanted to do up the mass booklet (and take advantage of some free paper and printing). He was given a mass leaflet done up by another colleague on Microsoft Word. All he had to do was rename the bride and groom. He carefully searched and replaced "Helen" for "Lucy" and "Tommy" for "John".

All the mass leaflets were distributed on the day.

There were some eyebrows raised at such liturgical changes as "Tommy The Baptist" and "our Bishop Tommy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

spakman wrote: »
    Kevwoody wrote: »

at least he didn't get the mother in law preggers :p

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

Was at a wedding once where nerves obviously got the better of the page boy who puked massively on his way up the aisle.

The procession stopped, carpet and child cleaned but the smell lingered and the church was small and full so people couldn't move seats. There were no windows to open either as they were the really large stained glass ones with no real openings.

Half way though some woman thought it would be a good idea to spray perfume to mask the smell but it didn't and it was just overload of strong perfume and vomit.

Didn't ruin the wedding but there were a lot who couldn't wait to leave the church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

My wife to be stopped me from going to visit an ice hotel in Sweden and skiing a few weeks before our wedding.
    I'd never skiied before. Twas probably a good call

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If my experience of skiing is anything to go by, she was probably wise. I had to be rescued by snowmobile on day 2 and carted off to hospital with a mangled ACL 😳

My dad was at a stag many many moons ago, which was being held the night before the wedding. The rest of the group questioned the wisdom of this but the groom wanted his brother to come, and he wasn’t flying in until the day before the wedding, so that was that. The rest of the group were concerned about getting the groom sobered up enough in time for the next morning, but turns out that was the least of their worries.

By about 9.30 they were leaving the first pub after a few pints and the groom went arse over tit down the front steps and broke his leg in 3 places. By some miracle they actually managed to get him to the ceremony the next day, albeit in a wheelchair with his entire leg in plaster. Bride nearly had a stroke and they had to postpone the honeymoon while the groom went back in to the hospital to have surgery on his leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

From behind the bar....

In our current heatwave, was reminded of a wedding on a brutally hot day. Don't ask me what the bride's dress was made from but some panels became translucent with the sweat. The kindest thing to say is that it was 'unflattering' and now resembled something from a Ann Summer catalogue. Had to get 4 hair dryers for her family to dry her out before the meal. 4 people standing around the bride at 4pm on the day of her wedding working on her was not the memorable wedding day moment they were look for. Doubt it made the Wedding album! Some things cannot be unseen.

She required another 30 minutes of maintenance work before the first dance. Those bridesmaids never knew they had signed up for drying the brides rear end with a hairdryer for on hour on that special day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

or not drink

the best man turning up pissed is just bad form.

been best man twice and somehow managed to lay off the booze till after speech. it's not hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

That was my wedding. We're still married 7 years later despite the terrible day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Did yer man ever even apologise for his carry on? I'm assuming he still hasn't put his hand in his pocket towards the bill for the damage he caused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Headline on mirror ie today man ruins wedding by telling risky joke

The writer means risque joke a joke that is shocking or overly suggestive are they using a young intern to write headlines now have they no copy editors?

There's no such thing as a risky joke it's wasnt even a joke he just said the bridesmaids were stunning that's an opinion not a joke this news article is not even factually correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I think he said "all but one of the bridesmaids are stunning" as a joke. And it went down like a lead balloon (as you would imagine). The bridesmaid who decided he was referring to her was in tears and bride kicked him out of the wedding.

Post edited by dotsman on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

From reading what dotsman linked, risky makes sense in relation to what happened, as in there was a risk of offence. It wasn't a risqué joke, it was just absolutely moronic. What type of fúckwit would come out with a line like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

He said something like I don't know the bridesmaids but they are stunning , it may be rude non pc, or sexist, but it's not a joke. It's an opinion or an observation. If newspapers can't even get the most basic facts right how can we trust em if they are reporting on complex subjects like climate change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

He said "Bridesmaids, I am a bit short of time here and I don't really know you all so I'd just like to say that five out of six of you look stunning today... figure it out amongst yourselves". They quoted him directly from Reddit.

You're the one getting there facts wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/weird-news/newlyweds-order-best-man-leave-24740513.amp

• Advertisement
Advertisement